Increasing level cap

Deathok.2914

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t get why you people are so rude

I understand that you disagree but why are you all so salty already like ‘go and play WoW instead‘

Nowadays people can’t even express their opinion without getting insulted…

I didn’t ever say that we desperately need that I simply asked for your opinion because I was wondering if it could work.

Get over it…

I appreciate the constructive posts though regarding issues etc.

**When will you people learn that our level is irrelevant due to level scaling?**

We can reach level 1000000 but in old areas we will be scaled to it's level, like if we go in AC we will be scaled down to 35.

So what purpose would a new level cap have? Other than force us to grind new gear we wouldn't need had it not been increased?

**Even more so you would really anger non-raiders as it's pretty clear Legendary Gear would instantly be scaled to the new cap.**

**SO NO, NOT IN THIS LIFE OR THE NEXT**

I have yet to hear what problem this would solve. Anyone who has been 80 for awhile probably has tomes coming out their ears so actually leveling for 20 levels would be, what, a minute. If you do not have any tomes just play the game a bit or do some crafting. All those 80 zones? Either they have to be redone as level 100 zones (not a simple switch) or you will have no max level zones in the game. Of course you will invalidate everyone's gear which will win you TONS of friends.

If it is that you want a challenge there are plenty of ways to do that. Do level 80 content with just blues and greens (and no buffs). Roll a new character and get world completion (including HOT, POF, and so on) while still at a low level. Play the game in hard mode starting with leveling sans tomes .... a death means deletion.

Increasing the level cap would hit WvW hard. It would mean everyone would have to buy the expansion or forever be 20 levels below max plus being undergeared compared to those players. The elite specs already affect competitive gameplay. Adding 20 more levels plus the gear would cause all those WvW players who don’t buy the expansion to leave.

> @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> Increasing the level cap means extending the gear treadmill. Just thinking about it ages me.

... why though?

I still find it incredibly amusing that people seems to assume level cap = boosted stats and new gear totally overpowering level 80. Why cant people see further than WoW and instead see... GW2?

Why couldnt level 80+ simply be upscaled zones with much harder mobs and upscaled player stats from 80 based on a new type of XP? It wouldnt impact WvW. It wouldnt impact PvP. It wouldnt impact people owning vanilla because they wouldnt be able to visit these zones. It wouldnt impact any old zones as that's max 80. It's not like it's anything magic in terms of GW2 functionality - in WvW we where all upscaled to level 80 from low levels once. Upscaling to level 100 from level 80 in specific zones is trivial.

Of course it's never gonna change, Anet has made that clear. And I honestly fail to see why we'd ever need it, just make harder mobs at 80 instead. Still, amusing.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> > Increasing the level cap means extending the gear treadmill. Just thinking about it ages me.

> ... why though?

>

> I still find it incredibly amusing that people seems to assume level cap = boosted stats and new gear totally overpowering level 80. Why cant people see further than WoW and instead see... GW2?

>

> Why couldnt level 80+ simply be upscaled zones with much harder mobs and upscaled player stats from 80 based on a new type of XP? It wouldnt impact WvW. It wouldnt impact PvP. It wouldnt impact people owning vanilla because they wouldnt be able to visit these zones. It wouldnt impact any old zones as that's max 80. It's not like it's anything magic in terms of GW2 functionality - in WvW we where all upscaled to level 80 from low levels once. Upscaling to level 100 from level 80 in specific zones is trivial.

>

> Of course it's never gonna change, Anet has made that clear. And I honestly fail to see why we'd ever need it, just make harder mobs at 80 instead. Still, amusing.

What's the point of having a higher level if NOTHING improves with those 20 levels? If you're still identical stat-wise to a level 80, what point is there in levelling up?

There's no reason to ask for a pointless system added to the game that simply delays mastery progress. It's all negative.

The flips side of that is that said levels must actually mean something, so now you've got all of the issues people have been talking about thus far. You can't have leveling mean anything AND avoid invalidating all current gear + introducing "must have expansion to even play with others."

I really like it the way that it is, and I would be very sad to see the old content become abandoned (now that you mention it).

I have played quite a few MMORPG's and most of them felt empty after 5 years (even earlier than that). I feel so happy every time I see a full map in this game - it is so rare in these kind of games.

I clearly remember Outlands in wow - there were no people left when the next expansion was released, and it is a little sad to play a multiplayer game alone.

Have you ever thought about making a new character, leveling them up slowly and make them new gear? Maybe that would provide you some of the things that you feel are missing. (Though I know that it is a pretty far fetched idea :) )

> @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> > > Increasing the level cap means extending the gear treadmill. Just thinking about it ages me.

> > ... why though?

> >

> > I still find it incredibly amusing that people seems to assume level cap = boosted stats and new gear totally overpowering level 80. Why cant people see further than WoW and instead see... GW2?

> >

> > Why couldnt level 80+ simply be upscaled zones with much harder mobs and upscaled player stats from 80 based on a new type of XP? It wouldnt impact WvW. It wouldnt impact PvP. It wouldnt impact people owning vanilla because they wouldnt be able to visit these zones. It wouldnt impact any old zones as that's max 80. It's not like it's anything magic in terms of GW2 functionality - in WvW we where all upscaled to level 80 from low levels once. Upscaling to level 100 from level 80 in specific zones is trivial.

> >

> > Of course it's never gonna change, Anet has made that clear. And I honestly fail to see why we'd ever need it, just make harder mobs at 80 instead. Still, amusing.

>

> What's the point of having a higher level if NOTHING improves with those 20 levels? If you're still identical stat-wise to a level 80, what point is there in levelling up?

Whats the point of leveling up if you get downleveled again? How did people even get beyond the starter zones?

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> > > > Increasing the level cap means extending the gear treadmill. Just thinking about it ages me.

> > > ... why though?

> > >

> > > I still find it incredibly amusing that people seems to assume level cap = boosted stats and new gear totally overpowering level 80. Why cant people see further than WoW and instead see... GW2?

> > >

> > > Why couldnt level 80+ simply be upscaled zones with much harder mobs and upscaled player stats from 80 based on a new type of XP? It wouldnt impact WvW. It wouldnt impact PvP. It wouldnt impact people owning vanilla because they wouldnt be able to visit these zones. It wouldnt impact any old zones as that's max 80. It's not like it's anything magic in terms of GW2 functionality - in WvW we where all upscaled to level 80 from low levels once. Upscaling to level 100 from level 80 in specific zones is trivial.

> > >

> > > Of course it's never gonna change, Anet has made that clear. And I honestly fail to see why we'd ever need it, just make harder mobs at 80 instead. Still, amusing.

> >

> > What's the point of having a higher level if NOTHING improves with those 20 levels? If you're still identical stat-wise to a level 80, what point is there in levelling up?

> Whats the point of leveling up if you get downleveled again? How did people even get beyond the starter zones?

There is very good reason behind it.

A player cannot simply play away in zones that highly exceeded their current level. That means a new player without tome or any sort of instant level boost have to do it the old fashion way, play the game, level up, advance in zone.

On the other side, a high level player can easily play low level maps as lv80 without being greatly overpowered, either going back to those map for daily or playing with new players. This is a serious issue on most other game, players that leveling get frustrated when high level players kills everything in 1 hit everywhere.

The main reason to have Level is to restrict a player accessing a certain zone until they reach a certain level. After level 80, we already have map accessing restriction by owning expansions.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> > > > Increasing the level cap means extending the gear treadmill. Just thinking about it ages me.

> > > ... why though?

> > >

> > > I still find it incredibly amusing that people seems to assume level cap = boosted stats and new gear totally overpowering level 80. Why cant people see further than WoW and instead see... GW2?

> > >

> > > Why couldnt level 80+ simply be upscaled zones with much harder mobs and upscaled player stats from 80 based on a new type of XP? It wouldnt impact WvW. It wouldnt impact PvP. It wouldnt impact people owning vanilla because they wouldnt be able to visit these zones. It wouldnt impact any old zones as that's max 80. It's not like it's anything magic in terms of GW2 functionality - in WvW we where all upscaled to level 80 from low levels once. Upscaling to level 100 from level 80 in specific zones is trivial.

> > >

> > > Of course it's never gonna change, Anet has made that clear. And I honestly fail to see why we'd ever need it, just make harder mobs at 80 instead. Still, amusing.

> >

> > What's the point of having a higher level if NOTHING improves with those 20 levels? If you're still identical stat-wise to a level 80, what point is there in levelling up?

> Whats the point of leveling up if you get downleveled again? How did people even get beyond the starter zones?

Simple enough increasing the total level possible will mean that armor and the such will likely change, which in turn means gear grind, something this particular MMO said they would not do. The dynamic scaling on the other hand allows low level areas to be fun even for higher level players. It means that I can run with my low level friends and not have to create an entirely new character. It means I can do the events in the old zones and not worry about being so overpowered that others have no chance to do the event.

Oh and you are not downleveled.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> Actually legendaries would be fine.

Not necessarily. The promise we were given was about legendary tier being always upgraded to the top gear tier. It wasn't about current legendary gear _levels_ being upgraded. At that time it actually worried me, because Anet did mention they were "definitely" intending to raise the level cap eventually (in addition to continuing on the gear progression idea). Fortunately, the backlash they've received for introducing Ascended pretty much killed any such idea they might have had.

Or so it seems for the moment.

But back to topic at hand - i'm against it, for the reasons that have been already mentioned. It would invalidate old gear (and i definitely don't want to regear all my characters all over again). It would not introduce any meaningful levelling experience (because players would either use tomes, or get those 20 levels in few hours of normal play). It might invalidate old endgame content (like it happens in WoW, for example), be completely irrelevant as far as it is concerned (because scaling), or require a rework of it for the new level cap. If it were tied to expac (and we all know it would be), it would also cause severe imbalance in WvW/SPvP, and could potentially lock out people from old endgame content (if it happened to be rebalanced with new level cap/gear tier in mind).

All of that for practically no gain that i can see.

> @"Lindaklingomat.1253" said:

> I really like it the way that it is, and I would be very sad to see the old content become abandoned (now that you mention it).

> I have played quite a few MMORPG's and most of them felt empty after 5 years (even earlier than that). I feel so happy every time I see a full map in this game - it is so rare in these kind of games.

This!

> @"Crossaber.8934" said:

> A player cannot simply play away in zones that highly exceeded their current level. That means a new player without tome or any sort of instant level boost have to do it the old fashion way, play the game, level up, advance in zone.

>

> On the other side, a high level player can easily play low level maps as lv80 without being greatly overpowered, either going back to those map for daily or playing with new players. This is a serious issue on most other game, players that leveling get frustrated when high level players kills everything in 1 hit everywhere.

This!

I am more than happy that new player zones are not ghost towns like in many other MMOs. I am more than happy that old end game zones are not ghost towns like in many other MMOs.

I personally fail to see any benefit a level cap increase would grant. The only reason I could think to raise the cap would be a mistake in itemization, so that game developers would need to reset the gears that have become over-powered and/or FUBAR. Obsoleting everything would give them a fresh start. It would not please any players, not here, not in any other MMO that are using level cap raises to reset the gears. It is just an indication of a mistake made in design.

No. Pls don't. Thx a lot.

"Being lvl80 all the time is boring, adding 20 new levels would make everything better...unless you get bored with being lvl100 all the time...sure adding 20 new levels will help...then it gets boring being lvl120 all the time...might add 20 new levels, that'll help...but now i'm bored being lvl140 all the time...couldn't they just add 20 new levels....ahhh it's so boring being lvl160 all the time, if there only were 20 more levels to grind, I'd be super entertaine...ah no, bored again...can we raise the cap to 180?..."

Your argument is "I'm bored and having 20 more levels to grind would occupy me to the next level cap". there are thoe games out there, might want to try them out. If you're bored, you're bored because you don't know what to do with your time, having new levels and gear to grind for solves this problem only temporarily. Find something to do which is fun to you and you won't cry for a new level cap.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> No. Pls don't. Thx a lot.

>

> "Being lvl80 all the time is boring, adding 20 new levels would make everything better...unless you get bored with being lvl100 all the time...sure adding 20 new levels will help...then it gets boring being lvl120 all the time...might add 20 new levels, that'll help...but now i'm bored being lvl140 all the time...couldn't they just add 20 new levels....ahhh it's so boring being lvl160 all the time, if there only were 20 more levels to grind, I'd be super entertaine...ah no, bored again...can we raise the cap to 180?..."

>

> Your argument is "I'm bored and having 20 more levels to grind would occupy me to the next level cap". there are thoe games out there, might want to try them out. If you're bored, you're bored because you don't know what to do with your time, having new levels and gear to grind for solves this problem only temporarily. Find something to do which is fun to you and you won't cry for a new level cap.

Exactly this, if playing a game at max level is boring, raising level cap while all you can do is exactly the same contents as the original max level contents, he will feel boring anyway.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> > Increasing the level cap means extending the gear treadmill. Just thinking about it ages me.

> ... why though?

>

> I still find it incredibly amusing that people seems to assume level cap = boosted stats and new gear totally overpowering level 80. Why cant people see further than WoW and instead see... GW2?

>

> Why couldnt level 80+ simply be upscaled zones with much harder mobs and upscaled player stats from 80 based on a new type of XP? It wouldnt impact WvW. It wouldnt impact PvP. It wouldnt impact people owning vanilla because they wouldnt be able to visit these zones. It wouldnt impact any old zones as that's max 80. It's not like it's anything magic in terms of GW2 functionality - in WvW we where all upscaled to level 80 from low levels once. Upscaling to level 100 from level 80 in specific zones is trivial.

>

> Of course it's never gonna change, Anet has made that clear. And I honestly fail to see why we'd ever need it, just make harder mobs at 80 instead. Still, amusing.

They introduced harder mobs with HoT. That didn’t go well. They lost players and money. To make a new area with much harder mobs would show they hadn’t learned the lesson from HoT. Even if they had new stats to earn in that area harder mobs wouldn’t be fun for most people.

Other than massaging the egos of the elitists, increasing the level cap does little for the game. We already have demarcations between groups of players as a result of the two expansions we already have: we have the have-nots and the haves in terms of gliders and mounts; and we have the implemented mastery point count on peoples tags. "_Ooh, look, Mom, that player has 259 mastery points! He must be wonderful!!!_" Not...

Of course, developers know they've got to appeal to players' egos or there is no reason to play their MMO; there's no prize, no trophy, no accolades, no parades, and no super bowl trophy for hitting maximum level. Everyone gets a participation trophy... and in a game like GW2, players can go to the store to buy outfits and gear, so showing off isn't all that satisfying.

However, if an increased level cap offset the idiotic hero point and mastery point system -- that is, got rid of those two systems -- then I'd be all for it. I really think the implementation of hero points and mastery points is poorly done. HoT and PoF hero points and mastery points (especially HoT), both for the points themselves and the XP needed to implement mastery points, require players to "play the Wiki" (constantly look things up) instead of playing the game, "play the clock" (because events are on timers) instead of playing on your own schedule when you have time available, and join the zergs for the meta-events. Zergs are mindless and brainless gimmicks used by developers who don't want to create well thought out scenarios; it's much easier to create impossible scenarios that require an army of players to beat.

If expanding the level cap got rid of the zerg, Wiki, and clock requirements, I'd be all for it; otherwise no.

> @"Deathok.2914" said:

> I don’t get why you people are so rude

> I understand that you disagree but why are you all so salty already like ‘go and play WoW instead‘

> Nowadays people can’t even express their opinion without getting insulted…

> I didn’t ever say that we desperately need that I simply asked for your opinion because I was wondering if it could work.

> Get over it…

> I appreciate the constructive posts though regarding issues etc.

I'm not trying to insult you with "you can play WoW instead", i just think your idea is bad and it goes against one of the main "features" of the game. I rather have more of other stuff instead of what you suggested.

• 4 months later...

Theres no endless gear progression in Guild wars 2, it is one of the things that is harder to get used to over other mmos.

But yes, I agree on that 80 levels is too many. Guild wars 1 did fine with just 20 levels. They should have kept that.

Also, masteries are post 80 progression. A lot of effort for HoT and central Tyria, but noticeably toned down in pof.