On difficulty modes (Game Maker's Toolkit)

Ohoni.6057

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > >I doubt that you are the first that considered this.

> > >It will never happen in GW2.

> >

> > That's no reason to stop asking.

>

> Well, isnt that a common tactic proven to work amongst the younger generations of our race. I hope its getting you places.

Fingers crossed!

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > > >I doubt that you are the first that considered this.

> > > >It will never happen in GW2.

> > >

> > > That's no reason to stop asking.

> >

> > Well, isnt that a common tactic proven to work amongst the younger generations of our race. I hope its getting you places.

>

> Fingers crossed!

And this is /thread for why there should never be an easy mode that gives out the same prestigious rewards. Clearly showing why games have gone to relative trash in the recent years. I long for games prior to 2010 when you had difficult stuff for the good loot and there was no other way of getting around it besides "Get Gud" and people did get good.

> @"Azoqu.8917" said:

> > @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > > > >I doubt that you are the first that considered this.

> > > > >It will never happen in GW2.

> > > >

> > > > That's no reason to stop asking.

> > >

> > > Well, isnt that a common tactic proven to work amongst the younger generations of our race. I hope its getting you places.

> >

> > Fingers crossed!

>

> And this is /thread for why there should never be an easy mode that gives out the same prestigious rewards. Clearly showing why games have gone to relative trash in the recent years. I long for games prior to 2010 when you had difficult stuff for the good loot and there was no other way of getting around it besides "Get Gud" and people did get good.

Ah, nostalgia for the bygone era of 2010, when men were men, and GotY was either Mass Effect 2 or Mario Galaxy 2. . .

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"Azoqu.8917" said:

> > > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > > @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > > > > >I doubt that you are the first that considered this.

> > > > > >It will never happen in GW2.

> > > > >

> > > > > That's no reason to stop asking.

> > > >

> > > > Well, isnt that a common tactic proven to work amongst the younger generations of our race. I hope its getting you places.

> > >

> > > Fingers crossed!

> >

> > And this is /thread for why there should never be an easy mode that gives out the same prestigious rewards. Clearly showing why games have gone to relative trash in the recent years. I long for games prior to 2010 when you had difficult stuff for the good loot and there was no other way of getting around it besides "Get Gud" and people did get good.

>

> Ah, nostalgia for the bygone era of 2010, when men were men, and GotY was either Mass Effect 2 or Mario Galaxy 2. . .

The process of the games "going to relative trash" as you say, started when game developers decided they want games that can be sold to more than a small niche of players. Even initial WoW was already considered to go in that direction compared to what was before.

Hint: the games changed in a way you consider trash for one reason: your target group is so small making games to it isn't considered to be a good business if you want a major, high-budget game. There definitely are still games like in the "good old days" now, but they are small budget, small population ones. And because they are like that, you play GW2, and not them.

So, in retrospect, nostalgia is a wonderful thing. It lets us reminisce about the "good old days", and _be glad they won't ever return_.

I’m more curious on what future rewards will bring to future raid wings. More Legendary items, no legendary items. What will the next carrot be for this game mode.

I think most of this would most likely go away if people had a choice on equally visual, but different sets of Legendary Armor for each game mode, much like we have for the legendary back packs each being equally visual and have a glider, but are also unique.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

>Even initial WoW was already considered to go in that direction compared to what was before.

Aw, man, do I remember the _constant_ whining about how super casual WoW was when it came out.

> @"Tyson.5160" said:

> I’m more curious on what future rewards will bring to future raid wings. More Legendary items, no legendary items. What will the next carrot be for this game mode.

>

> I think most of this would most likely go away if people had a choice on equally visual, but different sets of Legendary Armor for each game mode, much like we have for the legendary back packs each being equally visual and have a glider, but are also unique.

But the thing is, there is no such thing as "equal." It's all subjective. I mean, just use as an example the Black Lion Weapon skins. Theroetically they should all be "equal," right? They all (well, mostly) have the same costs, one should be "as good as another." But they aren't. Different people value them differently, and even if you set aside that some become more rare over time, and only consider them when they are still available at the lowest price, people certainly play favorites on them.

So no, you can't have a solution of "well you can never have this skin, but you could instead have this other skin, which *we* consider to be 'equal.'" Chances are it would not be "equal" to most players. Best case, the new one might be considered even better, and that would be nice (although a bit of a bummer for those who have already invested in the old one), but equally likely the older one would be considered the better one to a lot of players. Or perhaps a mix and match of the two positions, a player might want portions of both armors.

The solution is not "separate, but equal," the solution has to involve each player getting access to whichever rewards they want. If they want to add more sets of Legendary skins? Great! But give raiders access to them, and also give non-raiders access to the previous skins.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> >You must remember the thread a while back where you said that people that think exclusive rewards are a a good thing are evil because they take pleasure in the sadness of others that can't or won't take the time to get them.

>

> I'm not sure those were my exact words, but how would you characterize it? If a man can only be happy with having a good meal, IF he's assured that other people will go hungry, what would *you* call that?

>

Or how do you call an athlete who can only be happy with first place because nobody else has it?

This is not such a black and white thing.

> @"yann.1946" said:

> > @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > >You must remember the thread a while back where you said that people that think exclusive rewards are a a good thing are evil because they take pleasure in the sadness of others that can't or won't take the time to get them.

> >

> > I'm not sure those were my exact words, but how would you characterize it? If a man can only be happy with having a good meal, IF he's assured that other people will go hungry, what would *you* call that?

> >

>

> Or how do you call an athlete who can only be happy with first place because nobody else has it?

>

> This is not such a black and white thing.

In this case, it is though. For one thing, this is not a competition. The only person you're competing with is yourself. For another, even if you do somehow view this competitively, there is no "first place," one person can get the item, or a hundred, or a thousand, or a million. *How* they get there should only matter to themselves. It would be like a marathon running upset that anyone could visit the Starbucks next to the finish line unless they also ran 20 miles on foot to get there.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"yann.1946" said:

> > > >You must remember the thread a while back where you said that people that think exclusive rewards are a a good thing are evil because they take pleasure in the sadness of others that can't or won't take the time to get them.

> > >

> > > I'm not sure those were my exact words, but how would you characterize it? If a man can only be happy with having a good meal, IF he's assured that other people will go hungry, what would *you* call that?

> > >

> >

> > Or how do you call an athlete who can only be happy with first place because nobody else has it?

> >

> > This is not such a black and white thing.

>

> In this case, it is though. For one thing, this is not a competition. The only person you're competing with is yourself. For another, even if you do somehow view this competitively, there is no "first place," one person can get the item, or a hundred, or a thousand, or a million. *How* they get there should only matter to themselves. It would be like a marathon running upset that anyone could visit the Starbucks next to the finish line unless they also ran 20 miles on foot to get there.

No, it would be like a marathon runner getting upset someone claims to have participated in the marathon when in fact they drove a car to the finish line.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"yann.1946" said:

> > > >You must remember the thread a while back where you said that people that think exclusive rewards are a a good thing are evil because they take pleasure in the sadness of others that can't or won't take the time to get them.

> > >

> > > I'm not sure those were my exact words, but how would you characterize it? If a man can only be happy with having a good meal, IF he's assured that other people will go hungry, what would *you* call that?

> > >

> >

> > Or how do you call an athlete who can only be happy with first place because nobody else has it?

> >

> > This is not such a black and white thing.

>

> In this case, it is though. For one thing, this is not a competition. The only person you're competing with is yourself. For another, even if you do somehow view this competitively, there is no "first place," one person can get the item, or a hundred, or a thousand, or a million. *How* they get there should only matter to themselves. It would be like a marathon running upset that anyone could visit the Starbucks next to the finish line unless they also ran 20 miles on foot to get there.

But how others get the item is also important. The only reason the first place medal has this much value is because nobody else had it.

The value of the item does depend on how you and others achiev it.

Well, the content is there and the rewards are there. The rewards arent a first place medal and whether you pay someone to do the content or whether you pull through yourself you actually can get the reward.

Seems a waste of development effort to design a way for every kind of player just so they can get the reward in another way. Probably slowing future development as well if thats going to be the standard. In the end we would have loads of new rewards and we're still stuck doing the same content over and over again.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> No, it would be like a marathon runner getting upset someone claims to have participated in the marathon when in fact they drove a car to the finish line.

Nope. Nobody is claiming that just because they have Envoy armor, that they have done a lot of raiding. This isn't about stolen glory. This is just about being able to go to that Starbucks, to get the thing that happens to be located at the finish line, but otherwise has *nothing* to do with the race.

> @"yann.1946" said:

> But how others get the item is also important. The only reason the first place medal has this much value is because nobody else had it.

> The value of the item does depend on how you and others achiev it.

And again, that is true, *for a medal.* It is NOT true of weapon or armor skins, since those *do* have value even completely divorced from the method of acquisition. If you want to complete raids to get it, that's fine, and you'll know that you completed those raids. Nobody can ever take that away from you. If someone else doesn't want to complete raids, but just wants the skin, that's fine too, he has the skin that he wants, he's happy with that, he doesn't need the satisfaction of having completed all that raiding. To each his own.

> Seems a waste of development effort to design a way for every kind of player just so they can get the reward in another way. Probably slowing future development as well if thats going to be the standard. In the end we would have loads of new rewards and we're still stuck doing the same content over and over again.

Everything is a waste of development time to someone. Raids in their current form were certainly a waste of development time to most players. Opening up easier versions of them would make the entire raid process *less* of a waste for most players. Everything slows development of new content a little, but the cost of slowing the development content to produce this, would be made up by the added *playable* content that it would provide, since thousands of players who don't currently raid would have the ability to start raiding, and for people who already raid and are getting tired of it, they would have new rewards to chase within those raids. Again, it may cost more than doing nothing, but it would likely cost less than any other equivalent content they could make, since at least half of the work has already been done.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > No, it would be like a marathon runner getting upset someone claims to have participated in the marathon when in fact they drove a car to the finish line.

>

> Nope. Nobody is claiming that just because they have Envoy armor, that they have done a lot of raiding. This isn't about stolen glory. This is just about being able to go to that Starbucks, to get the thing that happens to be located at the finish line, but otherwise has *nothing* to do with the race.

See, you're doing it right there. You're taking a sign of achievement and you're comparing it to common purchase. Yeah, it's not stealing glory. It's ruining it.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > No, it would be like a marathon runner getting upset someone claims to have participated in the marathon when in fact they drove a car to the finish line.

>

> Nope. Nobody is claiming that just because they have Envoy armor, that they have done a lot of raiding. This isn't about stolen glory. This is just about being able to go to that Starbucks, to get the thing that happens to be located at the finish line, but otherwise has *nothing* to do with the race.

>

> > @"yann.1946" said:

> > But how others get the item is also important. The only reason the first place medal has this much value is because nobody else had it.

> > The value of the item does depend on how you and others achiev it.

>

> And again, that is true, *for a medal.* It is NOT true of weapon or armor skins, since those *do* have value even completely divorced from the method of acquisition. If you want to complete raids to get it, that's fine, and you'll know that you completed those raids. Nobody can ever take that away from you. If someone else doesn't want to complete raids, but just wants the skin, that's fine too, he has the skin that he wants, he's happy with that, he doesn't need the satisfaction of having completed all that raiding. To each his own.

>

> > Seems a waste of development effort to design a way for every kind of player just so they can get the reward in another way. Probably slowing future development as well if thats going to be the standard. In the end we would have loads of new rewards and we're still stuck doing the same content over and over again.

>

> Everything is a waste of development time to someone. Raids in their current form were certainly a waste of development time to most players. Opening up easier versions of them would make the entire raid process *less* of a waste for most players. Everything slows development of new content a little, but the cost of slowing the development content to produce this, would be made up by the added *playable* content that it would provide, since thousands of players who don't currently raid would have the ability to start raiding, and for people who already raid and are getting tired of it, they would have new rewards to chase within those raids. Again, it may cost more than doing nothing, but it would likely cost less than any other equivalent content they could make, since at least half of the work has already been done.

Just a few pointers:

- Development of New content doesnt slow down development of new content.

- Everyone already has the ability to start raiding

- People who are getting tired of raiding wouldnt want to grind it even more. "Yay lets do the same thing even more! GENIUS ANET"

- Easier versions of the same content arent different content.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"yann.1946" said:

> > But how others get the item is also important. The only reason the first place medal has this much value is because nobody else had it.

> > The value of the item does depend on how you and others achiev it.

>

> And again, that is true, *for a medal.* It is NOT true of weapon or armor skins, since those *do* have value even completely divorced from the method of acquisition. If you want to complete raids to get it, that's fine, and you'll know that you completed those raids. Nobody can ever take that away from you. If someone else doesn't want to complete raids, but just wants the skin, that's fine too, he has the skin that he wants, he's happy with that, he doesn't need the satisfaction of having completed all that raiding. To each his own.

>

A medal also has a value divorced from the achievement namely how it looks etc. You can't separate those two, changing one would change the whole medal.

This is the problem where having here you claim that the skin has an intrinsic value but so does everything. You're discussing semantics because you don't want to acknowledge that the method of acquisition is important.

Can you see why this separation could be a bad thing?

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > No, it would be like a marathon runner getting upset someone claims to have participated in the marathon when in fact they drove a car to the finish line.

> >

> > Nope. Nobody is claiming that just because they have Envoy armor, that they have done a lot of raiding. This isn't about stolen glory. This is just about being able to go to that Starbucks, to get the thing that happens to be located at the finish line, but otherwise has *nothing* to do with the race.

>

> See, you're doing it right there. You're taking a sign of achievement and you're comparing it to common purchase. Yeah, it's not stealing glory. It's ruining it.

Again, just because you insist that it's a sign of achievement, doesn't mean that others have to view it that way. To you, getting to visit that Starbucks after the race is a sign that you ran good. To that other guy, he just wanted a latte.

> Just a few pointers:

> - Development of New content doesnt slow down development of new content.

> - Everyone already has the ability to start raiding

> - People who are getting tired of raiding wouldnt want to grind it even more. "Yay lets do the same thing even more! GENIUS ANET"

> - Easier versions of the same content arent different content.

1. Tautologies aside, development of New Content project A does slow the development of New Content project B, so if people don't like A, then it could be viewed as a waste of time that could better have been spent on B or C.

2. No.

3. I have just been told, repeatedly, that chasing loot is a positive motivating factor, so adding new loot to chase should increase player enjoyment,

4. Easier versions ARE different content for people who aren't already doing the harder ones.

I'm kind of surprised that point 4 needs explanation. You do understand that there are a lot of people who tried raiding, and yet do **not** raid. Why do you think that is? It's because they were interested enough to try it, but found it outside of what they wanted it to be. That describes a market. These are people for whom raids in their current form may as well not exist, they will never play them, but if an easier mode would be added, they would have a mode that they could enjoy, and it's like an entirely new system were added to the game from their perspective.

> @"yann.1946" said:

> A medal also has a value divorced from the achievement namely how it looks etc. You can't separate those two, changing one would change the whole medal.

Negligibly, the material value of a medal is fairly minuscule when compared to the prestige of earning it. You don't hear much about "gold medal *owner* so-and-so." The same cannot be said for armor skins, which have far *more* value for being skins than they ever will for "prestige." Again, if players want something to denote "I completed a lot of raids and/or bought them," that's fine, but it shouldn't be in the form of a skin.

> This is the problem where having here you claim that the skin has an intrinsic value but so does everything. You're discussing semantics because you don't want to acknowledge that the method of acquisition is important.

That's rich, accusing me of discussing semantics when you're trying to make the case that traditional medals and trophies have value beyond the prestige factor.

> Can you see why this separation could be a bad thing?

No. It's purely positive.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > No, it would be like a marathon runner getting upset someone claims to have participated in the marathon when in fact they drove a car to the finish line.

> > >

> > > Nope. Nobody is claiming that just because they have Envoy armor, that they have done a lot of raiding. This isn't about stolen glory. This is just about being able to go to that Starbucks, to get the thing that happens to be located at the finish line, but otherwise has *nothing* to do with the race.

> >

> > See, you're doing it right there. You're taking a sign of achievement and you're comparing it to common purchase. Yeah, it's not stealing glory. It's ruining it.

>

> Again, just because you insist that it's a sign of achievement, doesn't mean that others have to view it that way.

It *can't* be a sign of achievement if it's common. "Hey, look, I have a fork". Get serious. You can try to use forest leaves instead of money with similar success. The ease of acquiring them means nobody wants them or needs them, so they have no value whatsoever.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

>

> > @"yann.1946" said:

> > A medal also has a value divorced from the achievement namely how it looks etc. You can't separate those two, changing one would change the whole medal.

>

> Negligibly, the material value of a medal is fairly minuscule when compared to the prestige of earning it. You don't hear much about "gold medal *owner* so-and-so." The same cannot be said for armor skins, which have far *more* value for being skins than they ever will for "prestige." Again, if players want something to denote "I completed a lot of raids and/or bought them," that's fine, but it shouldn't be in the form of a skin.

the medal/trophy also has a look people could want which is what i meant.

Their are very expensive medals also btw for which the best example would be the once from the olympics in bejing.

> > Can you see why this separation could be a bad thing?

>

> No. It's purely positive.

mostly if somebody says something is purely positive it just means they haven't seen the bad things yet.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> It *can't* be a sign of achievement if it's common. "Hey, look, I have a fork". Get serious. You can try to use forest leaves instead of money with similar success. The ease of acquiring them means nobody wants them or needs them, so they have no value whatsoever.

Agreed, but the point is that it *shouldn't* be viewed as a sign of achievement. If you want a sign of achievement, then it needs to be something other than a skin. Besides, it's not like it's *currently* a sign of achievement, when anyone can just buy the raids he needs.

The value in a skin is in the skin itself, and it retains that value no matter how many people have it.

> @"yann.1946" said:

> the medal/trophy also has a look people could want which is what i meant.

Do you genuinely believe that, or are you just making a disingenuous argument? Do you really believe that people would wear Olympic medals around if not for the prestige they carry, or that people would put random Oscars on their shelves when everyone was aware they did nothing to earn it? I mean you *can* get replicas of any of those things if you wanted them, but I don't see many people bothering. I don't think someone could honestly claim that these items have actual aesthetic appeal beyond the accomplishment they are intended to represent, and again, in the real world, if you really *do* believe that, you have options available other than earning one legitimately.

>Their are very expensive medals also btw for which the best example would be the once from the olympics in bejing.

An Olympic gold medal contains about $600 in gold. That's not nothing, but there are way more people who could afford $600 in gold than that can earn an Olympic gold medal in any sport. The value is not in the item itself. Not to mention that you could make a perfectly accurate fake gold medal for a fraction of that cost.

>mostly if somebody says something is purely positive it just means they haven't seen the bad things yet.

Or that they don't believe that "the bad things" are actually bad.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > No, it would be like a marathon runner getting upset someone claims to have participated in the marathon when in fact they drove a car to the finish line.

> > >

> > > Nope. Nobody is claiming that just because they have Envoy armor, that they have done a lot of raiding. This isn't about stolen glory. This is just about being able to go to that Starbucks, to get the thing that happens to be located at the finish line, but otherwise has *nothing* to do with the race.

> >

> > See, you're doing it right there. You're taking a sign of achievement and you're comparing it to common purchase. Yeah, it's not stealing glory. It's ruining it.

>

> Again, just because you insist that it's a sign of achievement, doesn't mean that others have to view it that way. To you, getting to visit that Starbucks after the race is a sign that you ran good. To that other guy, he just wanted a latte.

>

> > Just a few pointers:

> > - Development of New content doesnt slow down development of new content.

> > - Everyone already has the ability to start raiding

> > - People who are getting tired of raiding wouldnt want to grind it even more. "Yay lets do the same thing even more! GENIUS ANET"

> > - Easier versions of the same content arent different content.

>

> 1. Tautologies aside, development of New Content project A does slow the development of New Content project B, so if people don't like A, then it could be viewed as a waste of time that could better have been spent on B or C.

> 2. No.

> 3. I have just been told, repeatedly, that chasing loot is a positive motivating factor, so adding new loot to chase should increase player enjoyment,

> 4. Easier versions ARE different content for people who aren't already doing the harder ones.

>

> I'm kind of surprised that point 4 needs explanation. You do understand that there are a lot of people who tried raiding, and yet do **not** raid. Why do you think that is? It's because they were interested enough to try it, but found it outside of what they wanted it to be. That describes a market. These are people for whom raids in their current form may as well not exist, they will never play them, but if an easier mode would be added, they would have a mode that they could enjoy, and it's like an entirely new system were added to the game from their perspective.

>

1. In each case the amount of new content is the same, unless clairvoyant there's no way of saying whether people will like it and how much.

2. To explain my point with more words: Definitely yes.

3. Since that's really the only motivator for your suggestion, it's surprising to me you only realise after being told that. Considering its positive either way, all the more important to focus more on the journey than the reward.

4. Bit weird to be surprised about whether it needs explanation when you decided it need explanation, but alright. Otherwise, the difference in content is negligible. If anything its the same content where you can just ignore more of it because it's affecting the player less. If anything its just less of the same content.

> Since that's really the only motivator for your suggestion, it's surprising to me you only realise after being told that.

I always understood it, I always based my ideas in line with that concept, I was just pointing out that the raid community seems to understand that as well. Remember, *nothing* in my proposal reduces the amount of loot to chase after, the *only* thing my proposal does is *expand* the amount of loot to chase.

>Considering its positive either way, all the more important to focus more on the journey than the reward.

Exactly. So if the currently available "journey" is one that you would find awful, it would be of great benefit to offer alternative paths to that destination, so whichever place you want to reach, you can choose a journey that you would actually *enjoy,* rather than one that you'd grind your way through grudgingly.

>Bit weird to be surprised about whether it needs explanation when you decided it need explanation, but alright. Otherwise, the difference in content is negligible. If anything its the same content where you can just ignore more of it because it's affecting the player less. If anything its just less of the same content.

Yes, but again, *most players do not raid,* and of those who do, they probably don't engage with the entire spectrum of raids (maybe beating each once and then grinding the easier or more entertaining ones). So to most players raids represent ZERO content, or at most maybe 3-5 encounters worth of content on a regular basis. To the very few players who play through all available encounters ever week, yeah, not much new added, and many tears shed in their name. But to the very many players who play zero raids per week, or maybe just a couple, there would be hours of content per week that is now within their wheelhouse, it now *exists* from their perspective. That's a lot more content added to the game than could be created from scratch for equivalent effort.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > It *can't* be a sign of achievement if it's common. "Hey, look, I have a fork". Get serious. You can try to use forest leaves instead of money with similar success. The ease of acquiring them means nobody wants them or needs them, so they have no value whatsoever.

>

> Agreed, but the point is that it *shouldn't* be viewed as a sign of achievement. If you want a sign of achievement, then it needs to be something other than a skin. Besides, it's not like it's *currently* a sign of achievement, when anyone can just buy the raids he needs.

Then go ahead and buy it if you want it that much? And no, skins work pretty damn well as rewards in video games. What else do you propose? Liquid gold? Vendor trash?