Fractal Random Mistlock Instabilities

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be hard to encourage players to respond their builds and team comps to instabilities the way they are currently designed, especially if they become more random and you can't plan ahead for them. Currently most players just run a solid build that works relatively well under any circumstances.

If you guys really want to encourage players to alter their builds when running fractals maybe consider adding buffs with instabilities instead of punishments. I think incentives are a much more powerful tool for affecting player build and weapon choices rather than disincentives. I'm likely to just attempt to power through Social Awkwardness or the poison trails without ever changing my build, but if there was a week where I did 25% more damage against targets 900 range or greater from me, or reduced damage on me by 25% when near an ally, or gave out bonus boons to allies every time I used a support skill, I think that would do a lot for players to build around and maybe make some less popular strategies stronger for the week those effects are in place.

So often GW2 group content design focuses on debuffing players to encourage them to play differently or just to increase challenge, there is a whole wealth of options to impact how we play and experience the game by buffing us in group environments. Social Awkwardness makes me dislike other people in my party, Social Butterfly (damage increased by 20% and damage received reduced by 20% when nearby an ally) would make me enjoy spending time with them more.

If you're rethinking the way fractals and instabilities keep the fractals environment fresh and engaging for players, maybe it's worth considering they might be more responsive to positive instabilities instead of just negative ones.

> @"Benjamin Arnold.3457" said:

> Some people have wanted to see the whitelist, I see no problem with disclosing the current iteration since people will figure it out anyways and there's no point to hiding it.

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/HKT4bl3.png "")

Last Laugh and Adrenaline Rush on Nightmare/Shattered? These.... I very much doubt will be fun. :)

> @"Shiren.9532" said:

> I think it will be hard to encourage players to respond their builds and team comps to instabilities the way they are currently designed, especially if they become more random and you can't plan ahead for them. Currently most players just run a solid build that works relatively well under any circumstances.

>

> If you guys really want to encourage players to alter their builds when running fractals maybe consider adding buffs with instabilities instead of punishments. I think incentives are a much more powerful tool for affecting player build and weapon choices rather than disincentives. I'm likely to just attempt to power through Social Awkwardness or the poison trails without ever changing my build, but if there was a week where I did 25% more damage against targets 900 range or greater from me, or reduced damage on me by 25% when near an ally, or gave out bonus boons to allies every time I used a support skill, I think that would do a lot for players to build around and maybe make some less popular strategies stronger for the week those effects are in place.

>

> So often GW2 group content design focuses on debuffing players to encourage them to play differently or just to increase challenge, there is a whole wealth of options to impact how we play and experience the game by buffing us in group environments. Social Awkwardness makes me dislike other people in my party, Social Butterfly (damage increased by 20% and damage received reduced by 20% when nearby an ally) would make me enjoy spending time with them more.

>

> If you're rethinking the way fractals and instabilities keep the fractals environment fresh and engaging for players, maybe it's worth considering they might be more responsive to positive instabilities instead of just negative ones.

Umm, or Anet could simply hand us the fractal's rewards daily, spare us the work. Win win :tongue:

> @"Benjamin Arnold.3457" said:

> > @"Gilburt.9146" said:

> > If you're going to make instabilities random, can you consider removing some of the instabilities that aren't particularly fun?

> > * **Social Awkwardness:** This one is really frustrating, especially in fights that have a lot of zoning. If you have to move a lot to avoid damage, it's very annoying having to constantly check that you're not standing too close to an ally. It's especially frustrating when playing with pugs that constantly run on top of you. I just want to be able to focus on the fight rather than constantly monitoring my position relative to 4 other players.

> > * **Mists Convergence:** This one is just too random and feels like it gets in the way rather than adding anything meaningful.

> > * **Last Laugh:** Why is this a thing? Not hard to deal with most of the time, but it just makes cleaving trash more annoying. In most boss fights this doesn't add too much challenge anyway.

> >

> > **At the very least can Social Awkwardness at least be removed?** It's just so annoying being able to stack perfectly in every single raid encounter, but then not being allowed to do so in many of the Fractals.

>

> Were not deleting any instabilities or adding any new ones for episode 2, but we are always open to feedback on these things and swapping in new ones is never out of the question.

Can you please swap away Social Awkwardness? Like let it be a thing but since it's awkward it can stay awkwardly away from us in a corner where nobody cares. :D

OR you can place Social Awkwardness on Vindicators and call it a day.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > Yes. make t4 fractals even more boring and casual, what could go wrong

>

> That's okay. For top notch players there are CMs and raids every week :)

Only 2 cms. And no not every "Top notch player" runs raids, for one reason or another.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > Yes. make t4 fractals even more boring and casual, what could go wrong

> >

> > That's okay. For top notch players there are CMs and raids every week :)

>

> Only 2 cms. And no not every "Top notch player" runs raids, for one reason or another.

Too bad. Raids are made for top notch players. If they are unhappy, maybe they should find another game. Fractals are not supposed to be on level of raids.

While i do not like the idea of having Social Awkwardness in CMs , I am really looking forward to the other possibilities this opens up.

I'm eager to see how pugs handle CMs with Last Laugh and Toxic Trails. To me it sounds like a lot of fun (and that is no sarcasm).

@"Benjamin Arnold.3457" Have you thought about changing instabilities on a daily basis? I think weekly is too slow.

If I'd have to adapt to different ones every day it would be great!

> @"Gilburt.9146" said:

> If you're going to make instabilities random, can you consider removing some of the instabilities that aren't particularly fun?

> * **Social Awkwardness:** This one is really frustrating, especially in fights that have a lot of zoning. If you have to move a lot to avoid damage, it's very annoying having to constantly check that you're not standing too close to an ally. It's especially frustrating when playing with pugs that constantly run on top of you. I just want to be able to focus on the fight rather than constantly monitoring my position relative to 4 other players.

> * **Mists Convergence:** This one is just too random and feels like it gets in the way rather than adding anything meaningful.

> * **Last Laugh:** This isn't hard to deal with most of the time, but it just makes cleaving trash more annoying. In most boss fights this doesn't add too much challenge anyway.

>

> **At the very least can Social Awkwardness removed?** It's just so annoying being able to stack perfectly in every single raid encounter, but then not being allowed to do so in many of the Fractals.

>

> Edit: Removed salt/fixed grammar.

Social Awkwardness is actually my favorite instability since it forces people to actually pay attention to what their doing as opposed to just smashing their rotation until they're downed and start blaming the rest of the team for lack in dps (because a perma downed meta build apparently still does more damage than anyone without meta build).

I'd be very upset if Social Awkwardness would be removed and I'd actually like to see more instabilities that punish people who don't pay much attention and don't play well in general.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > > Yes. make t4 fractals even more boring and casual, what could go wrong

> > >

> > > That's okay. For top notch players there are CMs and raids every week :)

> >

> > Only 2 cms. And no not every "Top notch player" runs raids, for one reason or another.

>

> Too bad. Raids are made for top notch players. If they are unhappy, maybe they should find another game. Fractals are not supposed to be on level of raids.

And these changes wont get them anywhere near raid dificulty.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > > > Yes. make t4 fractals even more boring and casual, what could go wrong

> > > >

> > > > That's okay. For top notch players there are CMs and raids every week :)

> > >

> > > Only 2 cms. And no not every "Top notch player" runs raids, for one reason or another.

> >

> > Too bad. Raids are made for top notch players. If they are unhappy, maybe they should find another game. Fractals are not supposed to be on level of raids.

>

> And these changes wont get them anywhere near raid dificulty.

Nerfing them also causes no harm.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > > > > Yes. make t4 fractals even more boring and casual, what could go wrong

> > > > >

> > > > > That's okay. For top notch players there are CMs and raids every week :)

> > > >

> > > > Only 2 cms. And no not every "Top notch player" runs raids, for one reason or another.

> > >

> > > Too bad. Raids are made for top notch players. If they are unhappy, maybe they should find another game. Fractals are not supposed to be on level of raids.

> >

> > And these changes wont get them anywhere near raid dificulty.

>

> Nerfing them also causes no harm.

If all of fractals is nerfed to T1 & T2 level, there will be players playing it for the reward. Maybe a minority, just like how the majority will skip fractal recs dailies finding it boring and not rewarding enough. It will just be another dungeon like content. Will be totally ignored if it's not rewarding. Players will play it for the reward if its extremely good, but don't be expect them to enjoy the content. Hence, it's easier if Anet just hand us the reward and be done with it.

Edit :

PS : Do you seriously think the request to Nerf will just end there?

> @"Eramonster.2718" said:

> > > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > > > > > Yes. make t4 fractals even more boring and casual, what could go wrong

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That's okay. For top notch players there are CMs and raids every week :)

> > > > >

> > > > > Only 2 cms. And no not every "Top notch player" runs raids, for one reason or another.

> > > >

> > > > Too bad. Raids are made for top notch players. If they are unhappy, maybe they should find another game. Fractals are not supposed to be on level of raids.

> > >

> > > And these changes wont get them anywhere near raid dificulty.

> >

> > Nerfing them also causes no harm.

>

> If all of fractals is nerfed to T1 & T2 level, there will be players playing it for the reward. Maybe a minority, just like how the majority will skip fractal recs dailies finding it boring and not rewarding enough. It will just be another dungeon like content. Will be totally ignored if it's not rewarding. Players will play it for the reward if its extremely good, but don't be expect them to enjoy the content. Hence, it's easier if Anet just hand us the reward and be done with it.

Nerfing vindicators is not the same as nerfing everything to T2 level. No need to be overdramatic. Fractals are farm and nothing else

> @"Roul.3205" said:

> Might consider removing Social Awkwardness then ^^'

Not remove, but definitely change. I shouldn't be taking damage from my allies not paying attention to position. Instead, I should be taking damage based on *my* capacity to keep away from them, even if that means I should go to range. The difference being, instead of them pulsing damage for flailing in circles, I should be forced to assess if it's safe for me to attack and punish myself for attacking while others are around.

SA touches on the usual stack-and-smack tactic and forces gameplay change, as is the intent of instabilities.

As I understand the instabilities will be randomized each week so thankfully we won't see a return to rerolling-the-instance, right?

As for changes that I would like to see, toxic trail could really use a bit of extra distance between where it spawn and the mob so it work as a trail and not aura. The most punishing aspect of the trail is for melee range when attacking the front of the enemy and that don't feel thematically like a "trail".

As many others have pointed out, last laugh is no laugh for several fractals. Cliff side, 100 second boss, categorized during jumping, 99 cm (all bosses). CM in general feel like it need a more custom approach rather than letting randomness do the job.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > > Yes. make t4 fractals even more boring and casual, what could go wrong

> > > > >

> > > > > That's okay. For top notch players there are CMs and raids every week :)

> > > >

> > > > Only 2 cms. And no not every "Top notch player" runs raids, for one reason or another.

> > >

> > > Too bad. Raids are made for top notch players. If they are unhappy, maybe they should find another game. Fractals are not supposed to be on level of raids.

> >

> > And these changes wont get them anywhere near raid dificulty.

>

> Nerfing them also causes no harm.

Nerfing t4s does.

> @"Belorn.2659" said:

> As I understand the instabilities will be randomized each week so thankfully we won't see a return to rerolling-the-instance, right?

>

> As for changes that I would like to see, toxic trail could really use a bit of extra distance between where it spawn and the mob so it work as a trail and not aura. The most punishing aspect of the trail is for melee range when attacking the front of the enemy and that don't feel thematically like a "trail".

>

> As many others have pointed out, last laugh is no laugh for several fractals. Cliff side, 100 second boss, categorized during jumping, 99 cm (all bosses). CM in general feel like it need a more custom approach rather than letting randomness do the job.

99cm can be dealt easily by having a mesmer.

> @"Shiren.9532" said:

> I think it will be hard to encourage players to respond their builds and team comps to instabilities the way they are currently designed, especially if they become more random and you can't plan ahead for them. Currently most players just run a solid build that works relatively well under any circumstances.

This is false. People use team based builds and comps in fractals. No combination of instabilities that exist would require going away from the current team builds. New instabilities would have to be specifically designed to kill team builds (things like buffs don't effect other players, or no healing, or stupid shit like that) and therefore would have to be terrible beyond all words to effect this.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > Yes. make t4 fractals even more boring and casual, what could go wrong

>

> That's okay. For top notch players there are CMs and raids every week :)

What is the point of having 100 levels divided into 4 tiers if even the highest tier is boring - and even cm is not raid tier difficulty. Fractals are for 5 people and raids are for 10 people. Fractals are daily content and raids weekly content. So telling people to do raids is not fair. - Despite that I am already doing raids a lot, got almost 1200 LI on my main acc.

Fractals should have infinite levels - only capped by the amount of AR you can afford. Current system is bs since even t4 fractals get watered down all the time and power creep ruined it, it feels like they were balanced for vanilla GW2 builds, not for PoF and HoT.

At the very least we should get tier 5 and 6 fractals. tier 5 being the raid tier difficulty and tier 6 raid challenge mode difficulty.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> >

> What is the point of having 100 levels divided into 4 tiers if even the highest tier is boring - and even cm is not raid tier difficulty. Fractals are for 5 people and raids are for 10 people. Fractals are daily content and raids weekly content. So telling people to do raids is not fair. - Despite that I am already doing raids a lot, got almost 1200 LI on my main acc.

> Fractals should have infinite levels - only capped by the amount of AR you can afford. Current system is bs since even t4 fractals get watered down all the time and power creep ruined it, it feels like they were balanced for vanilla GW2 builds, not for PoF and HoT.

> At the very least we should get tier 5 and 6 fractals. tier 5 being the raid tier difficulty and tier 6 raid challenge mode difficulty.

The cms are deff harder than some raid encounters.

> >

> What is the point of having 100 levels divided into 4 tiers if even the highest tier is boring - and even cm is not raid tier difficulty. Fractals are for 5 people and raids are for 10 people. Fractals are daily content and raids weekly content. So telling people to do raids is not fair. - Despite that I am already doing raids a lot, got almost 1200 LI on my main acc.

> Fractals should have infinite levels - only capped by the amount of AR you can afford. Current system is bs since even t4 fractals get watered down all the time and power creep ruined it, it feels like they were balanced for vanilla GW2 builds, not for PoF and HoT.

> At the very least we should get tier 5 and 6 fractals. tier 5 being the raid tier difficulty and tier 6 raid challenge mode difficulty.

Your ideas are against the philosophy this game is based on and I'm pretty sure Anet will never go this way with fractals.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > >

> > What is the point of having 100 levels divided into 4 tiers if even the highest tier is boring - and even cm is not raid tier difficulty. Fractals are for 5 people and raids are for 10 people. Fractals are daily content and raids weekly content. So telling people to do raids is not fair. - Despite that I am already doing raids a lot, got almost 1200 LI on my main acc.

> > Fractals should have infinite levels - only capped by the amount of AR you can afford. Current system is bs since even t4 fractals get watered down all the time and power creep ruined it, it feels like they were balanced for vanilla GW2 builds, not for PoF and HoT.

> > At the very least we should get tier 5 and 6 fractals. tier 5 being the raid tier difficulty and tier 6 raid challenge mode difficulty.

>

> The cms are deff harder than some raid encounters.

Yes, some easy raid encounters were added so the crybabies can have some easy LIs every week after they bought the slightly difficult encounters once and get their legendary armor eventually (you can have 80 or so LI by now just by doing escort every week)

I never was in favor of the boring easy raid encounters, at least they should not give LI or ascended loot. And W4 was a catastrophic failure as a whole. The w4 cms should have been the normal mode.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > >

> > What is the point of having 100 levels divided into 4 tiers if even the highest tier is boring - and even cm is not raid tier difficulty. Fractals are for 5 people and raids are for 10 people. Fractals are daily content and raids weekly content. So telling people to do raids is not fair. - Despite that I am already doing raids a lot, got almost 1200 LI on my main acc.

> > Fractals should have infinite levels - only capped by the amount of AR you can afford. Current system is bs since even t4 fractals get watered down all the time and power creep ruined it, it feels like they were balanced for vanilla GW2 builds, not for PoF and HoT.

> > At the very least we should get tier 5 and 6 fractals. tier 5 being the raid tier difficulty and tier 6 raid challenge mode difficulty.

>

> Your ideas are against the philosophy this game is based on and I'm pretty sure Anet will never go this way with fractals.

The philosophy gets changed all the time, I dont even know what their current philosophy is.

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > Yes. make t4 fractals even more boring and casual, what could go wrong

> > > >

> > > > That's okay. For top notch players there are CMs and raids every week :)

> > > What is the point of having 100 levels divided into 4 tiers if even the highest tier is boring - and even cm is not raid tier difficulty. Fractals are for 5 people and raids are for 10 people. Fractals are daily content and raids weekly content. So telling people to do raids is not fair. - Despite that I am already doing raids a lot, got almost 1200 LI on my main acc.

> > > Fractals should have infinite levels - only capped by the amount of AR you can afford. Current system is bs since even t4 fractals get watered down all the time and power creep ruined it, it feels like they were balanced for vanilla GW2 builds, not for PoF and HoT.

> > > At the very least we should get tier 5 and 6 fractals. tier 5 being the raid tier difficulty and tier 6 raid challenge mode difficulty.

> >

> > The cms are deff harder than some raid encounters.

> Yes, some easy raid encounters were added so the crybabies can have some easy LIs every week after they bought the slightly difficult encounters once and get their legendary armor eventually (you can have 80 or so LI by now just by doing escort every week)

> I never was in favor of the boring easy raid encounters, at least they should not give LI or ascended loot. And W4 was a catastrophic failure as a whole. The w4 cms should have been the normal mode.

>

> > > >

> > > What is the point of having 100 levels divided into 4 tiers if even the highest tier is boring - and even cm is not raid tier difficulty. Fractals are for 5 people and raids are for 10 people. Fractals are daily content and raids weekly content. So telling people to do raids is not fair. - Despite that I am already doing raids a lot, got almost 1200 LI on my main acc.

> > > Fractals should have infinite levels - only capped by the amount of AR you can afford. Current system is bs since even t4 fractals get watered down all the time and power creep ruined it, it feels like they were balanced for vanilla GW2 builds, not for PoF and HoT.

> > > At the very least we should get tier 5 and 6 fractals. tier 5 being the raid tier difficulty and tier 6 raid challenge mode difficulty.

> >

> > Your ideas are against the philosophy this game is based on and I'm pretty sure Anet will never go this way with fractals.

> The philosophy gets changed all the time, I dont even know what their current philosophy is.

>

Considering their stance on nerfing vindicators, it's the same philosophy they had before.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > >

> > > > What is the point of having 100 levels divided into 4 tiers if even the highest tier is boring - and even cm is not raid tier difficulty. Fractals are for 5 people and raids are for 10 people. Fractals are daily content and raids weekly content. So telling people to do raids is not fair. - Despite that I am already doing raids a lot, got almost 1200 LI on my main acc.

> > > > Fractals should have infinite levels - only capped by the amount of AR you can afford. Current system is bs since even t4 fractals get watered down all the time and power creep ruined it, it feels like they were balanced for vanilla GW2 builds, not for PoF and HoT.

> > > > At the very least we should get tier 5 and 6 fractals. tier 5 being the raid tier difficulty and tier 6 raid challenge mode difficulty.

> > >

> > > The cms are deff harder than some raid encounters.

> > Yes, some easy raid encounters were added so the crybabies can have some easy LIs every week after they bought the slightly difficult encounters once and get their legendary armor eventually (you can have 80 or so LI by now just by doing escort every week)

> > I never was in favor of the boring easy raid encounters, at least they should not give LI or ascended loot. And W4 was a catastrophic failure as a whole. The w4 cms should have been the normal mode.

> >

> > > > >

> > > > What is the point of having 100 levels divided into 4 tiers if even the highest tier is boring - and even cm is not raid tier difficulty. Fractals are for 5 people and raids are for 10 people. Fractals are daily content and raids weekly content. So telling people to do raids is not fair. - Despite that I am already doing raids a lot, got almost 1200 LI on my main acc.

> > > > Fractals should have infinite levels - only capped by the amount of AR you can afford. Current system is bs since even t4 fractals get watered down all the time and power creep ruined it, it feels like they were balanced for vanilla GW2 builds, not for PoF and HoT.

> > > > At the very least we should get tier 5 and 6 fractals. tier 5 being the raid tier difficulty and tier 6 raid challenge mode difficulty.

> > >

> > > Your ideas are against the philosophy this game is based on and I'm pretty sure Anet will never go this way with fractals.

> > The philosophy gets changed all the time, I dont even know what their current philosophy is.

> >

>

> Considering their stance on nerfing vindicators, it's the same philosophy they had before.

Considering they dont intr9duvmce easy mode for raids i rly dont know what that philosophy is.