Why does everything have to be a puzzle?

Just a mild rant about the LWS maps. Im finding that especially with the new episode and more in the seasons than the expansions everything is a puzzle! There has to be a happy medium between running in and just hacking down the boss to get to the next room and solving a puzzle with codes/passwords/door access etc in every step of every room in every building. I literally just give up and move on to map completion without finishing the personal story in the LWS.

I like that we have to earn a mastery in the new maps, but why cant this mastery be earned and put to more use on these puzzles? I got stuck in episode 1 and quit = map completion and done ... now Im stuck again in episode 2 ...... and so on and so forth.

I call for a "balance patch" between hack and slash and puzzle solving LOL

I rather enjoyed the puzzles, but I can appreciate the OP's point of view. I think it would be nice if there were a way to "give up" on the puzzles and allow the scenario to continue for the people who want to enjoy the stories, but not get frustrated with the puzzles. Actually, I'd like to see the same thing for some of the fights -- those that have unclear mechanics or are overly-challenging for the players who don't play well enough to do them without frustration. I believe the stories should be a source of fun, enjoyment, and immersion in the lore for everyone. If that means a few dials and knobs on different aspects of the story, I have no problem with that; it would just be more accommodating for more people if these options existed.

> @"Archranis.2375" said:

> I rather enjoyed the puzzles, but I can appreciate the OP's point of view. I think it would be nice if there were a way to "give up" on the puzzles and allow the scenario to continue for the people who want to enjoy the stories, but not get frustrated with the puzzles. Actually, I'd like to see the same thing for some of the fights -- those that have unclear mechanics or are overly-challenging for the players who don't play well enough to do them without frustration. I believe the stories should be a source of fun, enjoyment, and immersion in the lore for everyone. If that means a few dials and knobs on different aspects of the story, I have no problem with that; it would just be more accommodating for more people if these options existed.

To be fair... All the puzzle parts are in the open world. If you can't do it, wait for someone to. I noticed a couple people waiting for me to complete puzzles on the second part of the episode (the more puzzle-heavy part) to advance themselves.

> I rather enjoyed the puzzles, but I can appreciate the OP's point of view. I think it would be nice if there were a way to "give up" on the puzzles and allow the scenario to continue for the people who want to enjoy the stories, but not get frustrated with the puzzles. Actually, I'd like to see the same thing for some of the fights -- those that have unclear mechanics or are overly-challenging for the players who don't play well enough to do them without frustration. I believe the stories should be a source of fun, enjoyment, and immersion in the lore for everyone. If that means a few dials and knobs on different aspects of the story, I have no problem with that; it would just be more accommodating for more people if these options existed.

Like Characters based on brute force could just smash their way past?

And where do they draw the line? What if I'd like a "give up" button on the precursor collections? What if somebody would want a "give up" button on achievements? Or dungeons? Raids? Just press "give up", collect the loot and move on because it's "too frustrating". How do you immerse yourself in the lore when you can skip parts? The Rata Primus thing even tells you that the puzzles are meant to check if you are smart enough to gain access to it. How does not being smart enough to do it and still gaining access help with the immersion? And it's not like the puzzles are Safecracker or The Witness level of difficulty...

PS: I did have a rather odd moment with the Rata Primus puzzle. I was doing it with my partner and...he solved all puzzles, got to the last room, talked to the console but the portal didn't open. I'm fairly certain my last door opened before I'd solved the puzzle, I couldn't talk to the console but the portal was open. It took us good 15 minutes to get everything to somehow work the way it was meant to and progress through the story.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Archranis.2375" said:

> > I rather enjoyed the puzzles, but I can appreciate the OP's point of view. I think it would be nice if there were a way to "give up" on the puzzles and allow the scenario to continue for the people who want to enjoy the stories, but not get frustrated with the puzzles. Actually, I'd like to see the same thing for some of the fights -- those that have unclear mechanics or are overly-challenging for the players who don't play well enough to do them without frustration. I believe the stories should be a source of fun, enjoyment, and immersion in the lore for everyone. If that means a few dials and knobs on different aspects of the story, I have no problem with that; it would just be more accommodating for more people if these options existed.

>

> To be fair... All the puzzle parts are in the open world. If you can't do it, wait for someone to. I noticed a couple people waiting for me to complete puzzles on the second part of the episode (the more puzzle-heavy part) to advance themselves.

Really? When I was doing them, I couldn't go through the force fields unless I was the one to solve the puzzles.

I dont want Anet to get rid of the puzzle components of the personal story. What I would like is either more than one way to advance the story without getting stuck on a puzzle. Puzzles like the Sunspear in POF I had no problem with ... took some time to find the peices but it was pretty cool. Im not an idiot LOL I can usually see my way past and take the time to figure it all out ... sometimes I cant. I dont want Anet to change this specifically for me .... All I am saying is, cant there be a balance between say puzzles to advance and mob fights to advance so it doesnt seem like every damn thing I need the commander to do is taxing.

Ok thanks :) at least I got map completion last night LOL I can be satisfied with that.

I can do core Tyria, finish HOT, finish POF all maps in game but for some reason when its puzzle after puzzle after puzzle and I cant figure it out (spend 25 mins in a room last night wondering wtf) I move on. usually without finishing the story.

> @"Purgatori.3645" said:

> I dont want Anet to get rid of the puzzle components of the personal story. What I would like is either more than one way to advance the story without getting stuck on a puzzle. Puzzles like the Sunspear in POF I had no problem with ... took some time to find the peices but it was pretty cool. Im not an idiot LOL I can usually see my way past and take the time to figure it all out ... sometimes I cant. I dont want Anet to change this specifically for me .... All I am saying is, cant there be a balance between say puzzles to advance and mob fights to advance so it doesnt seem like every kitten thing I need the commander to do is taxing.

There's already plenty of fighting to advance. Most of it is fighting, actually. So it's pretty balanced.

I get what the OP is saying. Expecially if the player is a Vigil member. It's not going to happen, but it would be nice if the puzzles had alternatives based on what core order the commander had chosen. Priory, sure, solve a puzzle. Whispers, figure out how to infiltrate/bypass the mechanic. Vigil..."Hulk Smash".

I would love to see more of that type of thing. The problem with "everything is a puzzle", is when you are trying to do content early (cause people have kids/life stuff), you never know whether you are stuck because you are "working" the puzzle still, or lag, or just a game bug. I got the portal stuff, but the delay in the portals moving was a good 10-20 seconds after clicking. Sometimes, by then, I had already clicked it again thinking it wasn't working. Just causes a headache.

> Just a mild rant about the LWS maps. Im finding that especially with the new episode and more in the seasons than the expansions everything is a puzzle! There has to be a happy medium between running in and just hacking down the boss to get to the next room and solving a puzzle with codes/passwords/door access etc in every step of every room in every building. I literally just give up and move on to map completion without finishing the personal story in the LWS.

>

> I like that we have to earn a mastery in the new maps, but why cant this mastery be earned and put to more use on these puzzles? I got stuck in episode 1 and quit = map completion and done ... now Im stuck again in episode 2 ...... and so on and so forth.

>

> I call for a "balance patch" between hack and slash and puzzle solving LOL

I'm not a huge fan of the puzzles either. However, we're dealing with Asurans here. It makes sense!

> > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

>

> > I'm not a huge fan of the puzzles either. However, we're dealing with Asurans here. It makes sense!

>

> you are very correct in saying this :+1: I love the whole map and Rata Primus seems really cool! I just hate puzzles lol

>

I really liked the whole mad scientist-induced zombie apocalypse vibe to Rata Primus. Super creepy and cool!

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> The puzzles in Rata Primus are some of the best content in the game, i've had a blast with all of them, especially with the Portal references in one of them!

> It's not like a 5 year old couldn't solve them kitten.

I'm not fond of puzzles but I agree, these are really easy and simple. I'm okay with puzzles as long as I don't need a guide to solve them, lol.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > @"Purgatori.3645" said:

> > > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> >

> > > I'm not a huge fan of the puzzles either. However, we're dealing with Asurans here. It makes sense!

> >

> > you are very correct in saying this :+1: I love the whole map and Rata Primus seems really cool! I just hate puzzles lol

> >

>

> I really liked the whole mad scientist-induced zombie apocalypse vibe to Rata Primus. Super creepy and cool!

I actually got a hive/umbrella vibe out of the trailer ... it's awesome :) I appreciate everyones comments I'll give the puzzles another go tonight!

I kinda get it although I mostly liked the puzzles, even if I am not the quickest to solve them. There definitely does not have to be puzzles and smarts all over the place.... but seeing we are dealing with inquest asura here it would be weird if there was not some kind of test to infiltrating them.

I get that is not the most fun thing to do... but when all else fails in figuring something out myself I look it up... I use wiki, most others probably dulfy, the point is the same though. :)

As a fan of metroivania games with puzzle rooms, I'm not happy unless at least 1 out of every 4 rooms is a puzzle room.

I like it even more when there's also the occasional "puzzle boss" like the Distorted Facet of Darkness in Hidden Arcana that require special rules and solving their mechanics and completely ignore your stats.

Some people are really good at puzzles and enjoy them. I have several guild members that live for this sort of thing. Others of us...not so much. I also would prefer some kind of middle ground. Like OP, I bailed on the story after about thirty minutes in the new zone—layer after layer of puzzles and then, once I thought I had them all solved, I could not figure out how to get from point A (one level) to point B (another level). At this point, I'm reconciled to the fact that, for the first time since launch, I'm throwing in the towel on the story. Hopefully, will pick up the next one,

Admittedly, I could go look up the solution online...or simply keep beating my head against the wall. But, for the LW story, my personal preference is for some consideration given to those of us who (in our own words uttered in Bitterfrost, "...aren't the sharpest icicles on the roof."