Why does everything have to be a puzzle?

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"Archranis.2375" said:

> > > I rather enjoyed the puzzles, but I can appreciate the OP's point of view. I think it would be nice if there were a way to "give up" on the puzzles and allow the scenario to continue for the people who want to enjoy the stories, but not get frustrated with the puzzles. Actually, I'd like to see the same thing for some of the fights -- those that have unclear mechanics or are overly-challenging for the players who don't play well enough to do them without frustration. I believe the stories should be a source of fun, enjoyment, and immersion in the lore for everyone. If that means a few dials and knobs on different aspects of the story, I have no problem with that; it would just be more accommodating for more people if these options existed.

> >

> > To be fair... All the puzzle parts are in the open world. If you can't do it, wait for someone to. I noticed a couple people waiting for me to complete puzzles on the second part of the episode (the more puzzle-heavy part) to advance themselves.

>

> Really? When I was doing them, I couldn't go through the force fields unless I was the one to solve the puzzles.

This is correct, the puzzles to take down the energy doors only counted on a per player basis. Someone else couldn't do the puzzle for you. I personally found the puzzles to be a highlight of the story, but I can understand the frustration to those who aren't as logic puzzle savvy. My only potential suggestion, do the LS as a Thief Daredevil, Staff Skill 5 (Vault) will leap directly through the energy doors for now.

I can get through the puzzles just fine, but there should be a way to get past them for people who aren't good at them. There's no reason for them to block progress or make people who aren't good at them feel somehow inadequate. I'm not better at this game because I think like an asura and you don't. Having multiple solutions to these problems would be best.

> @"Purgatori.3645" said:

> Just a mild rant about the LWS maps. Im finding that especially with the new episode and more in the seasons than the expansions everything is a puzzle! There has to be a happy medium between running in and just hacking down the boss to get to the next room and solving a puzzle with codes/passwords/door access etc in every step of every room in every building. I literally just give up and move on to map completion without finishing the personal story in the LWS.

>

> I like that we have to earn a mastery in the new maps, but why cant this mastery be earned and put to more use on these puzzles? I got stuck in episode 1 and quit = map completion and done ... now Im stuck again in episode 2 ...... and so on and so forth.

>

> I call for a "balance patch" between hack and slash and puzzle solving LOL

I'm glad that Anet added puzzles and tasks to switch on our brains a bit! All tasks can be done without any problem. Yes, you need to think a bit but is it so hard? Maybe it's your problem don't you think? Everything in the world are getting more simpler because always someone starts to complain how it's hard. And tasks in these episodes aren't complicated. I'm really hope Anet won't refuse this good new thing because it's one of the things I like this game.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"Archranis.2375" said:

> > > I rather enjoyed the puzzles, but I can appreciate the OP's point of view. I think it would be nice if there were a way to "give up" on the puzzles and allow the scenario to continue for the people who want to enjoy the stories, but not get frustrated with the puzzles. Actually, I'd like to see the same thing for some of the fights -- those that have unclear mechanics or are overly-challenging for the players who don't play well enough to do them without frustration. I believe the stories should be a source of fun, enjoyment, and immersion in the lore for everyone. If that means a few dials and knobs on different aspects of the story, I have no problem with that; it would just be more accommodating for more people if these options existed.

> >

> > To be fair... All the puzzle parts are in the open world. If you can't do it, wait for someone to. I noticed a couple people waiting for me to complete puzzles on the second part of the episode (the more puzzle-heavy part) to advance themselves.

>

> Really? When I was doing them, I couldn't go through the force fields unless I was the one to solve the puzzles.

Not true, depending on which puzzles we're talking about...and I wouldn't consider the one I think he's thinking of a puzzle, more so a figure out which ley line to take to get to the button to open the door, but once that door is open multiple people could enter the room...regardless of who opened it. Not so sure about the light puzzle, but then again, they're still there after doing the story so maybe they are in the open world...in which case it doesn't matter who opens it...as long as someone opens it and you're there at the time you can enter.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Archranis.2375" said:

> > I rather enjoyed the puzzles, but I can appreciate the OP's point of view. I think it would be nice if there were a way to "give up" on the puzzles and allow the scenario to continue for the people who want to enjoy the stories, but not get frustrated with the puzzles. Actually, I'd like to see the same thing for some of the fights -- those that have unclear mechanics or are overly-challenging for the players who don't play well enough to do them without frustration. I believe the stories should be a source of fun, enjoyment, and immersion in the lore for everyone. If that means a few dials and knobs on different aspects of the story, I have no problem with that; it would just be more accommodating for more people if these options existed.

>

> To be fair... All the puzzle parts are in the open world. If you can't do it, wait for someone to. I noticed a couple people waiting for me to complete puzzles on the second part of the episode (the more puzzle-heavy part) to advance themselves.

Puzzles are player phased, so you can't open doors to your friends. However some of them have failsafe and proceed automatically if you are... erm... special.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > @"Archranis.2375" said:

> > > > I rather enjoyed the puzzles, but I can appreciate the OP's point of view. I think it would be nice if there were a way to "give up" on the puzzles and allow the scenario to continue for the people who want to enjoy the stories, but not get frustrated with the puzzles. Actually, I'd like to see the same thing for some of the fights -- those that have unclear mechanics or are overly-challenging for the players who don't play well enough to do them without frustration. I believe the stories should be a source of fun, enjoyment, and immersion in the lore for everyone. If that means a few dials and knobs on different aspects of the story, I have no problem with that; it would just be more accommodating for more people if these options existed.

> > >

> > > To be fair... All the puzzle parts are in the open world. If you can't do it, wait for someone to. I noticed a couple people waiting for me to complete puzzles on the second part of the episode (the more puzzle-heavy part) to advance themselves.

> >

> > Really? When I was doing them, I couldn't go through the force fields unless I was the one to solve the puzzles.

>

> Not true, depending on which puzzles we're talking about...and I wouldn't consider the one I think he's thinking of a puzzle, more so a figure out which ley line to take to get to the button to open the door, but once that door is open multiple people could enter the room...regardless of who opened it. Not so sure about the light puzzle, but then again, they're still there after doing the story so maybe they are in the open world...in which case it doesn't matter who opens it...as long as someone opens it and you're there at the time you can enter.

I have opposite experience. Most likely players completed puzzle simultaneously and it looked like someone opened it for them.

> @"Deimos.4263" said:

> I can get through the puzzles just fine, but there should be a way to get past them for people who aren't good at them. There's no reason for them to block progress or make people who aren't good at them feel somehow inadequate. I'm not better at this game because I think like an asura and you don't. Having multiple solutions to these problems would be best.

No, there needs to be a standard. If someone can't solve a simple puzzle like the ones in the episode then they DON'T deserve to finish it. And they SHOULD feel inadequate.

We need to stop dumbing down content for bad players.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > @"Archranis.2375" said:

> > > > I rather enjoyed the puzzles, but I can appreciate the OP's point of view. I think it would be nice if there were a way to "give up" on the puzzles and allow the scenario to continue for the people who want to enjoy the stories, but not get frustrated with the puzzles. Actually, I'd like to see the same thing for some of the fights -- those that have unclear mechanics or are overly-challenging for the players who don't play well enough to do them without frustration. I believe the stories should be a source of fun, enjoyment, and immersion in the lore for everyone. If that means a few dials and knobs on different aspects of the story, I have no problem with that; it would just be more accommodating for more people if these options existed.

> > >

> > > To be fair... All the puzzle parts are in the open world. If you can't do it, wait for someone to. I noticed a couple people waiting for me to complete puzzles on the second part of the episode (the more puzzle-heavy part) to advance themselves.

> >

> > Really? When I was doing them, I couldn't go through the force fields unless I was the one to solve the puzzles.

>

> Not true, depending on which puzzles we're talking about...and I wouldn't consider the one I think he's thinking of a puzzle, more so a figure out which ley line to take to get to the button to open the door, but once that door is open multiple people could enter the room...regardless of who opened it. Not so sure about the light puzzle, but then again, they're still there after doing the story so maybe they are in the open world...in which case it doesn't matter who opens it...as long as someone opens it and you're there at the time you can enter.

That wasn't the case for me for either set of puzzles. Both times, I had to personally do it myself (interact with all the buttons and such) to get into each specific area.

To be honest, I love having the puzzles. It gives variety in the world- not everything is about killing monsters or bosses. And while I love the idea of Vigil characters being able to act "in-character" to just smash their way through everything, if Vigil characters get that, then Priory characters should be able to use their surroundings to their advantage during a boss fight, and Whispers characters should be able to sneak past encounters or convince NPCs (hostile or not) to help them.

I also feel like this might put a bit too much emphasis on a decision made very early on in the game, which might be a big problem.

> @"Klipso.8653" said:

> No, there needs to be a standard. If someone can't solve a simple puzzle like the ones in the episode then they DON'T deserve to finish it. And they SHOULD feel inadequate.

>

> We need to stop dumbing down content for bad players.

This is content in *story mode*. It doesn't require any bar for success, it's supposed to be fun. They present a puzzle and if it can't be achieved or isn't appreciated for what it is, there's no reason to make a barrier. As for bad players...those aren't the ones having trouble with puzzles.

I see nothing wrong with a game company putting in content that requires thought. In fact, I vastly prefer that to the GW2 New Player Experience, which made an effort to remove any complex thought from the early leveling process.

Also, as has been pointed out, if solving the puzzles is not your thing, there are resources online (Dulfy or Youtube) that are likely to have offer a walk-through.

> @"Annette.6278" said:

> > @"Purgatori.3645" said:

> > Just a mild rant about the LWS maps. Im finding that especially with the new episode and more in the seasons than the expansions everything is a puzzle! There has to be a happy medium between running in and just hacking down the boss to get to the next room and solving a puzzle with codes/passwords/door access etc in every step of every room in every building. I literally just give up and move on to map completion without finishing the personal story in the LWS.

> >

> > I like that we have to earn a mastery in the new maps, but why cant this mastery be earned and put to more use on these puzzles? I got stuck in episode 1 and quit = map completion and done ... now Im stuck again in episode 2 ...... and so on and so forth.

> >

> > I call for a "balance patch" between hack and slash and puzzle solving LOL

>

> I'm glad that Anet added puzzles and tasks to switch on our brains a bit! All tasks can be done without any problem. Yes, you need to think a bit but is it so hard? Maybe it's your problem don't you think? Everything in the world are getting more simpler because always someone starts to complain how it's hard. And tasks in these episodes aren't complicated. I'm really hope Anet won't refuse this good new thing because it's one of the things I like this game.

I have previously stated that I dont want Anet to get rid of the puzzles. I have also previously stated that it makes sense to have puzzles in Asura/Inquest areas. I just found every step to be tedious and unnecessary. Im not complaining Im stating opinion. I also previously stated that since the majority of the community agrees that this really isnt that hard that I would go back and give it another go. So if Anet stops doing a slew of puzzles in new areas it wont be because of my comments and replies to this thread.

Good Day!

> @"Ubi.4136" said:

> ... but it would be nice if the puzzles had alternatives based on what core order the commander had chosen. Priory, sure, solve a puzzle. Whispers, figure out how to infiltrate/bypass the mechanic. Vigil..."Hulk Smash".

I like alternatives but I'd hate to be locked into a choice or have my choices limited by a decision I made several months ago. What if the Whispers' path was here's a JP? Nothing would make me rage more (like a certain conveyor belt).

> @"Hypatia.3160" said:

> > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > ... but it would be nice if the puzzles had alternatives based on what core order the commander had chosen. Priory, sure, solve a puzzle. Whispers, figure out how to infiltrate/bypass the mechanic. Vigil..."Hulk Smash".

>

> I like alternatives but I'd hate to be locked into a choice or have my choices limited by a decision I made several months ago. What if the Whispers' path was here's a JP? Nothing would make me rage more (like a certain conveyor belt).

That conveyor belt really pissed me off LOL