LF Help/advises New Thief.

Paradox.2018

Hi guys! i'm here because i need some help and advises about gearing and tactics for a Daredevil D/P... or also some tips o where to find it for S/P S/D or D/D.

I'd been playing thief in WvW almost soloing With D/P Using 6 Armor pieces Marauder with Rune of the pack and the rest of the gear just Berserker.. i'd tried with rings, earrings and backpack Marauder also Marauder but i can't get with the stats, and cause a bit of lack in skills i'll finish to die.

![](https://i.imgur.com/VISy91d.jpg "")

So my question is, it's better to run Full berserker, jump to hit and try to run (or eventually die), or try another combination for my stats wich would be like 3 gear zerker 3 marauders, rings marauders also earring and backpack Assasin? I'm a bit confusing about this because i can't do the correct dmg to the target at least it is a light armor without HP improvements.

Shoud i point to a minimun of 70% on Crit, and the other to Power/ferocity?

-----

And about the traits i'd been trying "Burst of Agility" and "Thrill of the crime" but i don't really see too much differences in between.. what would you recommend?

![](https://i.imgur.com/COM3bgz.jpg "")

I would like to leave my Elementalist wich has been my main for to much time, but i don't want to expend a lot of time in the thief maping, etc.. if i don't know hot to manage it correctly.

Thanks for your time! and sorry about my bad english :)

i understand correct you want to run around solo on your thief in WvW not in a small group? or both?

are you more interested in skill based fights wich are fun for you AND your opponent ? or only want to have some fun solo?

if you want 'skill' based duels or group roaming then you should stick to d/p or s/x builds, but you will probably need to run away alot from unfavorable situations.

if you want easy kills, alot of fun and be efficient at solo roaming in terms of war score while being a major annoyance to your opponents i would adivse to play stealth camping deadeye. problem with this is every opponent will hate you, but once you manage to keep up stealth it is easy to play and probably the strongest solo roaming build if you dont overextend and keep your patience you will win every fight, you need to make mistakes to lose. against most opponents you need to make multiple mistakes.

d/d power builds are only for masochists atm, basically your opponent has to be alot worse then you for you to win. d/d condi is mindless spamm, good enough to kill alot of people but once you run into a half decent roamer you will probably die.

your equipment choice is again depending on playstyle, you wont go for onehit and run style in duels/group roaming and rather choose full marauder. while as deadeye you would go full berserk as you dont need and vitality.

burst of agility is nice to take out one target quickly so more for the onehit and run type but has a 60s downtime you need to keep in mind , while TotC will provide permanent fury to you and your group and is therefor better for longer duells and groupfights.

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> i understand correct you want to run around solo on your thief in WvW not in a small group? or both?

> are you more interested in skill based fights wich are fun for you AND your opponent ? or only want to have some fun solo?

>

> if you want 'skill' based duels or group roaming then you should stick to d/p or s/x builds, but you will probably need to run away alot from unfavorable situations.

> if you want easy kills, alot of fun and be efficient at solo roaming in terms of war score while being a major annoyance to your opponents i would adivse to play stealth camping deadeye. problem with this is every opponent will hate you, but once you manage to keep up stealth it is easy to play and probably the strongest solo roaming build if you dont overextend and keep your patience you will win every fight, you need to make mistakes to lose. against most opponents you need to make multiple mistakes.

> d/d power builds are only for masochists atm, basically your opponent has to be alot worse then you for you to win. d/d condi is mindless spamm, good enough to kill alot of people but once you run into a half decent roamer you will probably die.

>

> your equipment choice is again depending on playstyle, you wont go for onehit and run style in duels/group roaming and rather choose full marauder. while as deadeye you would go full berserk as you dont need and vitality.

>

> burst of agility is nice to take out one target quickly so more for the onehit and run type but has a 60s downtime you need to keep in mind , while TotC will provide permanent fury to you and your group and is therefor better for longer duells and groupfights.

I see... so right now the only way to have a chance while melee choices it's playing full Marauder and switch Weapon set based on enemy's potentiality..

I'd tried sniping before, running full zerker-scholar using perma-stealth build, but i find it a bit annoying by the fact if being a bit lack of haste and mobility but i't was really really fun when engage!

Thing is, that i'm always playing Solo, because in my current server there's almost not roa groups, and the ones wich still playing doesn't accept Thieves.. :# (i know what are you thinking...) I just looking for fun with my Thief and to know what's the best to, or better, how to..

So i'll try to run Full berserker with 1 or 2 pieces assasin, and my rifle... depending on the current situation i'll just change to DaDe D/P risking to over-hit the enemy, light's runners :# ..

Thanks for your help and time!.

If you can afford it, look into putting your trinkets into defensive stats rather than more damage. The trinkets don't really net you a decent amount of damage. But Vitality is multiplied by 10 (I think) for every point you're given. And keeping your defences up can help you from getting trashed when your endurance gets frozen (Daredevil's stupid slipperyness nerf)

But the trinkets having defensive stats can really come through for you when things get out of control.

If you're taking a Shadow Arts heavy build, taking healing power is actually a pretty strong idea. As Shadow arts gives you the ability to restore HP for every second you're invisible, and the healing trinkets will scale quite decently.

Taking toughness on the runes isn't a terrible idea either. Daredevil is designed to be very in your face, as shown by its incredibly boring rune. You won't be able to dodge everything, and a little bit of toughness will help make your 16-17k HP pool last a little longer.

For armor...

Marauder's is my main go to for most cases for Core, Deadeye, and Daredevil.

I take Valks with toughness trinkets, and maybe weapons when I plan on doing guild fights as core thief, or assault interception. About the size of a party, or a squad fighting each other. That is for Core and DD. If I am Deadeye, I'll take Assassins, or Marauds as the armor. And then Magi for Weapon, and trinkets with Furious oil. For that situation, utilities is what ever for Core and Thief. For Deadeye, I usually have snipers cover, shadow flare. The last one varies from Shadow Step, Smoke Bomb, Roll for Initiative, Shadow Gust, or Smoke Screen. Smoke screen is always taken if there's a bunch of Rangers.

Zerks only when I am very sure that I am just taking a defensive role on Deadeye.

Outside of the Valks case, my trinkets are almost always Healing Power, and if I am not Deadeye, I have the Rune of Rage for fury.

i would say use muraders gear for training untill you get used to the build then slowly switch to zerker stuff this will increase your skill some and keep you in the same mind set. i do agree with what the other have told you too. when you die wright down the mistakes you made and try to not do them this will increase the skill of that toon and make you harder to kill in like 2 to 3 weeks. i will add you can use staff with dd and be a force of fear to small groups is you want to try it. that is all i can think of for right now to help you.

I run full marauder i.e armor, weapons, trinkets. Rarely ever dies unless

1. I wasn't paying attention (situational awareness is more important than anything else so to not get open by a glass cannon mesmer for example)

2. Lag spike when wvw score updates or zerg suddenly appears on map

3. Got jumped suddenly by many due to No. 1

4. Totally outplayed by opponents

If i run daredevil, i use Runes of Defender to work with block and dodge heal

If i run deadeye, i use Runes of Infiltration or Durability

Rarely do i think its worthwhile going full glass only to get dropped fast, it is always better to be able to survive a huge hit but be reset again and come back for revenge.

I run this in wvw as s/d. I picked there's runes mainly because of the already boon duration from endless stamina, with durability runes you get 36%. And since s/d steals a lot of boons it kinda works. The gear also has a nice solid stats too even with them runes.

As for tactics... just keep playing and practice a lot, manage your initiative and don't mindless spam stuff because that get get you into more trouble then anything else.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsYVl0MhSnY5TwwJw/EHwElPNOj2oXYhYiqTgAY3A-jFDEQBJSFFApEsJKrIwjI4BHRA4t/g/UvwAnAB3pPwhKVajGGAcgAWHcAMWxK2YJ2YjN25mbu5mbuGQsxGbsxGbsxGbsSBs6QL-w

> @"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:

> I run this in wvw as s/d. I picked there's runes mainly because of the already boon duration from endless stamina, with durability runes you get 36%. And since s/d steals a lot of boons it kinda works. The gear also has a nice solid stats too even with them runes.

>

> As for tactics... just keep playing and practice a lot, manage your initiative and don't mindless spam stuff because that get get you into more trouble then anything else.

>

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsYVl0MhSnY5TwwJw/EHwElPNOj2oXYhYiqTgAY3A-jFDEQBJSFFApEsJKrIwjI4BHRA4t/g/UvwAnAB3pPwhKVajGGAcgAWHcAMWxK2YJ2YjN25mbu5mbuGQsxGbsxGbsxGbsSBs6QL-w

still the only power thief i wasnt able to onehit with a backstab - that food is really good for that.

tho i see most s/d thieves run that endurance regen food, i mean you allways did run the food in you link so it wasnt used for me - care to explain why you think it is better than 40% endurance regen? against single hit oneshots i do understand it but i thought more endurance is better for most other situations?

Dunno, I always thought I had enough Regan with endless stamina traited, it is after all 50% "improved" https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Stamina - and having the 40% on top of the already 50% seems a bit redundant though the might sticking was nice. But I can't count the amount of times I finished a fight and looked at 19 might stacks that i stole lol, also I have 36% boon duration so I get even more vigour uptime.

The food I use as well was to replace the 10% from dash trait as well, the 70 extra power hit the 2500 power to finish of my min max stats.

That shot you hit me with btw 18k dj was annoying because I though it was them ods thievs but that ran off. I looked down to type "marked but ods ran off" then you hit me lol. Still, 18k was a soft hit compared to others.

What's the code to make there's links shorter

One food I am liking more and more (and i just started using) is the Ghost pepper popper on my p/p s/d build. It ramps up might stacks yet faster during the day meaning I can switch off into s/d with full might faster with less ini expended, and at night keeps up near full time chill on an enemy which works really nice as a defense when on the p/p set .

I use leadership runes myself and have my boon duration at just over 60 percent. Concentration used as sigils with weaponswaps that push this to close to 100. When I get my timing right this allows great Quickness duration off the Burst of agility trait coupled with BqoBk. The combo of chill an an enemy versus you having quickness for long durations along with full time swiftness is quite effective both from a defensive perspective and an offensive one.

> Dunno, I always thought I had enough Regan with endless stamina traited, it is after all 50% "improved" https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Stamina - and having the 40% on top of the already 50% seems a bit redundant though the might sticking was nice. But I can't count the amount of times I finished a fight and looked at 19 might stacks that i stole lol, also I have 36% boon duration so I get even more vigour uptime.

>

> The food I use as well was to replace the 10% from dash trait as well, the 70 extra power hit the 2500 power to finish of my min max stats.

>

> That shot you hit me with btw 18k dj was annoying because I though it was them ods thievs but that ran off. I looked down to type "marked but ods ran off" then you hit me lol. Still, 18k was a soft hit compared to others.

>

> What's the code to make there's links shorter

that DJ was a pre perfectionist shot so you dont hear my toon talking and was with action cam therefor no laser. so you would have needed luck to see me in time on range. ( i was really carefull as i just wanted to see you drop XD )

and you had a rune proc so i was actually lucky you dropped at all, didnt keep in mind at that time that you were running that rune.

code is like this for your build just quote to see :

[build](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsYVl0MhSnY5TwwJw/EHwElPNOj2oXYhYiqTgAY3A-jFDEQBJSFFApEsJKrIwjI4BHRA4t/g/UvwAnAB3pPwhKVajGGAcgAWHcAMWxK2YJ2YjN25mbu5mbuGQsxGbsxGbsxGbsSBs6QL-w "Build")

so you dont feel like you miss dodgerolls for fights, then 10% dmg reduction is indeed better but i also changed abit a few days ago so i should do lightly higher backstab now - got to tryhard again next time.

> I did hear the skill and your toon saying "taking the shot" that's when I realised it wasn't 1 of them ods people. But of course, hand was on the keyboard and not the mouse so, pfft. You was on the hill west of me while I was facing south on the sentry :p

well dunno i feel like my toon says it when perfectionist procs tho wiki says the shout is for the shot not for the perfectionist but i am sure i didnt have full malice, not needed for marauder targets anyway. if you want next time we can do real damage test, tho my server is falling the tiers again so can take a while.

at least you got high chance of the toon saying something on perfectionist proc for each boon, while for the shot it is not guranteed

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > @"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:

> > I did hear the skill and your toon saying "taking the shot" that's when I realised it wasn't 1 of them ods people. But of course, hand was on the keyboard and not the mouse so, pfft. You was on the hill west of me while I was facing south on the sentry :p

>

> well dunno i feel like my toon says it when perfectionist procs tho wiki says the shout is for the shot not for the perfectionist but i am sure i didnt have full malice, not needed for marauder targets anyway. if you want next time we can do real damage test, tho my server is falling the tiers again so can take a while.

>

> at least you got high chance of the toon saying something on perfectionist proc for each boon, while for the shot it is not guranteed

i thought it was when the deadeye uses DJ on a marked target/in combat. just fired a bunch of in LA and after 30 DJ shots, my thief said 2 things and they are nothing what i normally hear in wvw. i normally hear enermy deadeys far louder and the voice overides most other sounds, yet when i did it in LA it just sounded like normal, as if an ele was changing attunement so to speak.

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > @"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:

> > > I did hear the skill and your toon saying "taking the shot" that's when I realised it wasn't 1 of them ods people. But of course, hand was on the keyboard and not the mouse so, pfft. You was on the hill west of me while I was facing south on the sentry :p

> >

> > well dunno i feel like my toon says it when perfectionist procs tho wiki says the shout is for the shot not for the perfectionist but i am sure i didnt have full malice, not needed for marauder targets anyway. if you want next time we can do real damage test, tho my server is falling the tiers again so can take a while.

> >

> > at least you got high chance of the toon saying something on perfectionist proc for each boon, while for the shot it is not guranteed

>

> i thought it was when the deadeye uses DJ on a marked target/in combat. just fired a bunch of in LA and after 30 DJ shots, my thief said 2 things and they are nothing what i normally hear in wvw. i normally hear enermy deadeys far louder and the voice overides most other sounds, yet when i did it in LA it just sounded like normal, as if an ele was changing attunement so to speak.

thing is you were not targeted for the shot i was certain you only hear it when targeted but if you heard it then mark is enough.