And a symbol of language (not of the country, by the client's language)?

_(translated into Google from Spanish to English)_

And if you add to the **side of the name a color point / flag / acronym / symbol of the language spoken by each player** (**according to the Client**, the 4 or 5 languages ​​by default) ??

And with the **OPTION** that you can hide if you want to remain "anonymous lenguage" or not interested in seeing the language of others.

Personally, I would like to know when I am on the maps with someone who speaks my own language (like when you are traveling and meets someone from the same country) and not go around "screaming" to see if someone else answers me, even more in PvE and MvM (or in any mode). Just seeing them know that if I can speak in Spanish, or I have to try in English ... or not try XD

...and using only a miserable point or symbol next to the name, that hardly uses space.

P.D .: Someone made an excellent contribution to me in the Latin forums: If they denote the players with their main speech (client's language), they could also **show in each server the number of players who speak each language**. In this way, when creating your character or changing server, you can see the number of people of each speech on each server when selecting them.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

The last is an idea in case it follows the megaservidor with sub-servers, but what about the others?

Recognize speech and foster community?

Many people ask for servers by language (in the Spanish forums it is full of those requests) and this is an idea for, with a minimum cost, to help the communication.

Currently the name is full of information that is left over, such as "annihilator of trolls, domain 218, clan [3 $ T]".

It would be nice to add something useful that encourages the community and resolves the issue of "mixed servers" (as far as languages are concerned), and using only a miserable point or symbol next to the name, that hardly uses space.

...and with the option of not using it, if you are not interested.

> @"Aavataris.5720" said:

> Only a small symbol, a few pixels that do not occupy more space than an "o" and could be much more useful than the rest of the excessive information, indicating the main language of the Client

Every bit of pixels takes up room. Add enough useful symbols and suddenly it's hard to see anything, as happens with buffs, boons, and banner icons on our own bar. Plus, even adding a simple icon that derives from existing data in the API takes development time; those are resources that can be put to other uses, too.

Plus, I'm not sure it's anyone else's business what language I choose to run my client in. I can see that you might want to know if I'm a Spanish-native speaker, but maybe I'm trying to teach myself Spanish or maybe I swapped to English because half my server uses that. It doesn't necessarily convey what the OP wants to know.

In fact, when I'm in another country and I want to find others who speak the same language, I don't expect them to wear clothes that identify their origins. I take the time to introduce myself and ask if they prefer speaking my mother tongue. I don't really see what that doesn't apply here, too.

tl;dr I don't think an icon would solve the issues the OP wants addressed, I think it's more effort than the QoL improvement warrants, and I think there's already a non-tech work-around, one that is used in RL.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

Spend much more space (much more!) placed "troll killer, domain 125, clan [53T]" and is much less practical. The resources invested in my idea are still minimal and there can always be the options of "hiding the symbols of other people's language", "hiding my language symbol" and "hiding language symbols in massive events".

I think it is EXCESSIVE to say that "you do not use in your Client the language that you really use" (more because there is an automatic translator button) How many people will use it that way??

And, even if that is the case: Disable your language symbol (or all the symbols) and that's it! It does not affect you and is good for those who are interested in meeting people in their own language, casually.

I think you looked for too fussy excuses to find unnecessary mistakes in the idea ("shirts with flags in real life"?).

This is clearly not necessary.

1 - more visual clutter (player tags).

2 - wasted resources for insignificant improvement.

3 - would more likely lead to segregation rather than benefit the community.

To explain #3 - As an English-speaking player, if I see somebody with a foreign flag, I would assume that they are only interested in communicating with others in the same language. Therefore I actively avoid trying to talk to them. The reality is that they probably can and do speak great English also, but by labeling themselves they give the impression of wanting to communicate exclusively in that chosen language thus creating segregation.

The correct solution would be to search for a suitable sub-community such as a guild on forums of the same language and there is nothing wrong with asking in map chat I guess.

I am from Sweden and I am a guild leader for a Swedish guild (even non-swedes are welcome, just that we chat mostly in Swedish)

So what we did when we wanted people from our own country was to create a guild for our country, and we have no problems finding others who wants to join even though there are atlas 3 other Swedish guilds out there.

I se no need for a little icon with a flag but I wouldn't really be against it either as long as there is an option to either turn it of so no one can see your flag and/or you don't see others. But there are other stuff I rather want Anet to put their dev time on.

> @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

1) It occupies a insignificant space and is much more useful than, for example, "Troll Killer, domain 125, clan [53T]".

2) It is an insignificant expense of resources to put a solution to something that is constantly discussed in the different forums: Servers by language (which will not happen).

3) It does not have to generate bad atmosphere, more in a non-toxic game like GW2 and where the objectives are usually completed without looking for the "problem", but instead can promote the community among those who do share a language (select the option) .

Nowadays, many people refrain from trying to communicate with others, knowing only that it can result in a futile effort. At least with this idea, if you are encouraged to communicate with those who share your language, instead of just not talking (as it is currently) and also knowing if you can try in English or another language.

That last is not a solution, because it is what is happening a long time ago and still does not work.

I'm curious...what is a 'domain', and why is it on the nameplate?

You can't say if a language flag is more useful than a Guild Tag for everyone. You really don't know how many resources adding a flag would be.

As for 'constantly discussed', I can't say I've seen much discussion about language, except occasionally a few posts about the client offering other languages in the written subtitles.

Regardless, good luck on your suggestion (as long as there is an option _not_ to see it used).

With the client in Spanish, "Dominio" is the level above level 80 (the yellow level).

I think that anyone who studies programming has some notion of how much cost a segment reflects the language determined by the client (simply "shows what is already done" in a minimal space next to the name), and is what I do.

The acronym of the guild says very little and there is a guild COLOR to identify among the members. And, assuming that the acronym is really useful, it is still very useful to show the language.

At least in the forums in Spanish always (ALWAYS!) Is the theme of "server by language", and here I have also seen some thread.

Exactly, the idea is that it is an option for those who are interested and do not bother those who do not.

> > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

>

> 1) It occupies a insignificant space and is much more useful than, for example, "Troll Killer, domain 125, clan [53T]".

The point is that it occupies extra space, you cannot deny it will do that, regardless of _how much_. We are not discussing removing any of the titles you think could be "useless", therefore adding **will** increase the size of the label.

> 2) It is an insignificant expense of resources to put a solution to something that is constantly discussed in the different forums: Servers by language (which will not happen).

You cannot be certain this is an insignificant expense, we are not aware of the potential cost.

> 3) It does not have to generate bad atmosphere, more in a non-toxic game like GW2 and where the objectives are usually completed without looking for the "problem", but instead can promote the community among those who do share a language (select the option) .

"It doesn't have to" is an optimistic and unrealistic argument. I would consider myself as a causal player but would still be hesitant to go with a party where I presume somebody is not going to understand me, and I will not understand them. Many players do not have infinite time to play so wouldn't be interested in relying on somebody who they potentially cannot communicate with.

> Nowadays, many people refrain from trying to communicate with others, knowing only that it can result in a futile effort. At least with this idea, if you are encouraged to communicate with those who share your language, instead of just not talking (as it is currently) and also knowing if you can try in English or another language.

Not correct. Many players probably share my view on this - I presume most players can speak some English on an English-speaking server, on an English based game. If somebody tries to talk to me in a language I don't understand, I let them know and that's it. I am more than happy to talk to anyone who I understand and who understands me. This proposed change will more likely **discourage** communication overall.

> That last is not a solution, because it is what is happening a long time ago and still does not work.

Slapping flags on people is not a better solution. This is the same situation as people complaining they cannot get into raids, when there are plenty of "training guilds" - players looking for something specific have to sometimes make some extra effort find it. If you already know about the "Spanish Forum" - why not use that to coordinate your guilds/groups?

If I worked for Anet I would not be here in the forums giving ideas, obviously.

But, as I say, show something that is already running, using a function that is already used for similar should not have much problem and should have a minimum cost of work and resources.

It is true, they must have their own complications, but they can be done and at low cost, it's possible.

- Is "extra" space if it is useful?

- Does it cost so much to show something that is already ready and programmed in an instance that is already done?

- Because some are not interested ("do not have infinite time", ok) should we discard the whole idea?

...do you want to see the bad side. Okay ¬¬

> ...do you want to see the bad side. Okay ¬¬

Why don't you try to join fractal or raid group saying you don't speak English and see how many kick you? (I'm not saying they all will but there will be plenty that do)

Having a flag is pretty much a visual indicator of this to many players.

What you're asking for is going to drive segregation and exclusion more than improve your game experience.

The cretins that discriminate against others and expel them from the group **without even trying to talk** are **always** there, but they are few in the game (more than I have seen in Raids than in any other place). With or without a "flag", they explode for anything.

If you want to concentrate on that (in **looking for the bad side**) it's your problem, but I've also helped sometimes translate into group problems and **I've seen many others explain and be patient** (many more than toxic people).

"segregation"? There could be for many reasons (does not usually need logical reasons).

• 1 month later...