Eater of Souls - The Departed

Orimidu.9604

> @Ashantara.8731 said:

> No. Read my post two posts above yours. My first run was also with my Condi Scourge (took me about 2 mins), but it was almost just as simple with a Condi Berserker as long as you follow the rules I mentioned:

> > @Ashantara.8731 said:

> > [...] **It really is no big deal as long as you avoid its orange circles and aren't too close to it when it uses its life drain/pull attack on you.**

With all of the people having issues, I figure it's got to be something more that what you described or what I unconsciously did. I'm reasonably good, but not outstanding. The only thing in the fight that stood out to me, the only thing I remember consciously doing -- rather than instinctively -- is converting conditions (in particular lots of vulnerability) into buffs, which surely shortened the fight by strengthening me. So I offer that up.

I just can't believe that large numbers of ranged people can't stay at maximum range and can't see tells on a huge leap. (And I'm one of those folks who doesn't PvP because I generally can't see tells.)

Your rules should provide a basis for a good fight. Any other advantages folks can get (no companions in the fight, etc) only helps more. It's not like I'm suggesting some kind of tricky rotation or anything.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that has angered me in this has been the lack of save points. The Balthazzar fight was not fun, but to have it end in death no matter what I did, after spending so much time, that is silly. Then all that dialogue. and having to waste so much time. And then the Eater of Souls: a STUPID fight, with a stupid mechanic. Way too much healing and just plain silly. Anyway I had to take an urgent telephone call so I logged out and now I find I have to start from the beginning. So now I have to grind through that first fight again and I know I will die. i have to listen to all that dialogue again. My time has value and there are more fun ways of spending it!

While the story is amazing here, the mission tech is not so good.

First I got stuck while "searching my purpose". I typed /stuck and had to do the mission all over again including the Balthazar fight.

Second attempt I found the "Eater of Souls" greatly outhealing my damage. Every time I got him to 85% health he healed full again. Switching to staff and kiting did not help me because I need to stand still while casting high-damage spells.

I was able to finish the mission by getting the "Eater of Souls" stuck behing Palawa Joko's prison and killing him with meteor shower and firestorm.

> @TheQuickFox.3826 said:

> While the story is amazing here, the mission tech is not so good.

>

> First I got stuck while "searching my purpose". I typed /stuck and had to do the mission all over again including the Balthazar fight.

> Second attempt I found the "Eater of Souls" greatly outhealing my damage. Every time I got him to 85% health he healed full again. Switching to staff and kiting did not help me because I need to stand still while casting high-damage spells.

> I was able to finish the mission by getting the "Eater of Souls" stuck behing Palawa Joko's prison and killing him with meteor shower and firestorm.

But did you move out of the 400 range when he did his life steal ability?

He should not be healing at all if you aren't in his range, if he is then the fault is with you not moving away and allowing him to heal.

I main a warrior trying new skills and such, and I cannot defeat this boss, I tried pulling away from it as far as I can, my exploding shot on the rifle that is supposed to send me away from the enemy fails, like it doesnt even launch me most of the time, I'm pretty sure I have to have legendary weapons in order to do any damage good enough, not that it matters because I cant evade far enough and my skills dont recharge fast enough for me to protect myself and my attacks dont do enough when it comes to the blue bar which I dont see is optimal to even try to cc because he does it right after his vacuum heal and its one or the other(either let him heal and do cc to confuse him for 5 seconds or avoid healing) I might have to do my lunge attack or something but I would have to have legendary stuff probably to do anything to his health or blue bar. And I just cant seem to get far enough away. Definitely not for casual play at all and really only for pros.

Died 3 times on holosmith in zerker to him but killed him first go, pretty quick instagib deaths so a steep learning curve. I learned that if I time my shield block when he charges his lazer, then I survive and can burst him after.

I don't agree his difficulty should be tuned. But I agree the mechanics should be clearer. Also game wide, if you dodge the start of a beam attack, it shouldn't be locked onto you.

> @"Xenos Shade.5012" said:

> I main a warrior trying new skills and such, and I cannot defeat this boss, I tried pulling away from it as far as I can, my exploding shot on the rifle that is supposed to send me away from the enemy fails, like it doesnt even launch me most of the time, I'm pretty sure I have to have legendary weapons in order to do any damage good enough, not that it matters because I cant evade far enough and my skills dont recharge fast enough for me to protect myself and my attacks dont do enough when it comes to the blue bar which I dont see is optimal to even try to cc because he does it right after his vacuum heal and its one or the other(either let him heal and do cc to confuse him for 5 seconds or avoid healing) I might have to do my lunge attack or something but I would have to have legendary stuff probably to do anything to his health or blue bar. And I just cant seem to get far enough away. Definitely not for casual play at all and really only for pros.

1. Legendary and Ascended weapons have the same stat amounts. Legendary just allows you to change them without using the mystic forge or getting new ones.

2. This fight is beyond possible with exotics. Just need a stat combo to compliment your build.

> @"Xenos Shade.5012" said:

> I main a warrior trying new skills and such, and I cannot defeat this boss, I tried pulling away from it as far as I can, my exploding shot on the rifle that is supposed to send me away from the enemy fails, like it doesnt even launch me most of the time, I'm pretty sure I have to have legendary weapons in order to do any damage good enough, not that it matters because I cant evade far enough and my skills dont recharge fast enough for me to protect myself and my attacks dont do enough when it comes to the blue bar which I dont see is optimal to even try to cc because he does it right after his vacuum heal and its one or the other(either let him heal and do cc to confuse him for 5 seconds or avoid healing) I might have to do my lunge attack or something but I would have to have legendary stuff probably to do anything to his health or blue bar. And I just cant seem to get far enough away. Definitely not for casual play at all and really only for pros.

I killed it as a soldier stat engie with all exotic gear, it's not as dramatic as you're making it out to be

> @Bish.8627 said:

> Died 3 times on holosmith in zerker to him but killed him first go, pretty quick instagib deaths so a steep learning curve. I learned that if I time my shield block when he charges his lazer, then I survive and can burst him after.

>

> I don't agree his difficulty should be tuned. But I agree the mechanics should be clearer. Also game wide, if you dodge the start of a beam attack, it shouldn't be locked onto you.

It's not that hard to work out that it is a lifesteal and that the further away you stand the less he will heal, to none at all.

I watched my friend on a Holosmith Soldier/Zerk hybrid defeat it first go. Once we worked out the mechanics, we stood back and he did it on his own with it healing usually 0%.

Honestly, most people on here just seem like they need to improve overall.

> @Hawkfeather.2071 said:

> Just got to this story step. It was super long, and took me a little while to get the rotation of the eater down, but I beat it. Aaaand then promptly disconnected while listening to Joko threaten me. So now I have to do the whole darn thing over again.

>

> ........yeah I think I need a break from the game for a day before trying that again. Checkpoints next time, Anet. Please.

>

This is my biggest issue as well...and I'm someone who enjoys the story generally. It's needlessly long...I mean, it's _Atlas Shrugged_-league long. Longer than the stories an uncle of mine is prone to tell if someone brings up bears at a family gathering. Did I mention it's kinda long? :)

Oh, and this business of your party members being useless wisps...FOO! May whoever came up with _that_ idea be locked in an elevator with a hundred flatulent choya! What's the point of bringing a party if they can't _do_ anything? If the point is that it's just me playing a nightmarish Tyrian version of "This is Your Life" the party mechanic should be disabled.

The eater of souls was ridiculously easy, if you just DPS hi mdown and make sure, that he has always movement impairing conditions on, so that the slightest hard cc will break instantly his bar so that you can deal more damage...

As long as you instantly cc him the moment the bar turns blue, you have a super simple fight... it becomes only problematic, if you dont get to cc him and he can use is suck in-self heal skill that will basically instantly heal him nearly back to full.

As a S/P Thief absolutely laughable fight...

If you're complaining about the eater of souls, wait until you reach the beast of war episode's final boss, then you can talk about arbitrary difficulty on a long and tedious fight after a long and tedious mission. In comparison eater of souls is really trivial. There were NPCs that casted fear on my character, fear pushed me outside of the map boundaries, and i got kicked from the instance. Fight wasn't fun anyway but i got to do it twice, lucky me. :)

Is this Soul Eater the one in the Riverlands instance? Where one is a ghost? Was the boss nerfed recently? Or does it appear twice? This by far was the most easiest boss of all story instances I played. Played it as Core Power Mesmer with Staff. Dodging the lifeleech breaks it. My nemesis was the dc after the fight while talking to Joko and I had to do the whole kitten thing again from scratch. My complaint is: why in this instance there is no saving of progress? Like in Glint's cave, where I only had to do the boss fight again after a dc.

I feel bad for whomever had to deal with this that didn't happen to be me. At first- it was so ridiculously overpowered with its health consumption that I literally thought this was a sequence I was deliberately supposed to lose. But after a few scuffles, 2-3, I knew his pattern and simply went ham with greatsword. Given my cute asuran physique, I was able to elude most of his attacks naturally or with the auto-attack chain, and when he slammed down to the ground- I did a beautiful backflip and utilized the greatsword's blocking- the cycle was timed just enough for the cooldown of the GS 4 skill to reset and I just did that over and over.~

But yeah. Arenanet. Your boss' diaper is broken.

> @hellsqueen.3045 said:

> The thing about that is, the break bar was introduced AFTER the personal stories were created.

> In fact, they installed it in the dungeons later down the track, however they don't work as intended because you can still knock down those dungeon bosses.

> They have no intention of going back to old content and changing it. However, maybe with enough appeals about new people feeling uninformed by the game we could see a change.

yeah it's a slim chance and with the lvl 80 boosters, I'd almost say it'd be more beneficial to add something like that to the SW when you use the booster (with an option to skip)

> @"Ivana Twinkle.5390" said:

> this is a really awfully balance boss. As a mesmer i don't have the dps to actually do much and my CC's casting times are too slow to hit him in the second or so is bar is blue before he murders me.

I had 3 illusions ONLY condition-damaged it while i kept my distance. Noticed that it don't do any damage to illusions.

> @Malhanjia.1452 said:

> I've been in this instance nearly 2 hours. I've changed my build and gear and I cannot beat this boss on guardian at all. I'm completely stuck :(

Try using a Hammer to break the bar, or other cc's that usually work on other bosses that break the bar just make sure you dont use your cc before the blue bar comes up or youll be suck running around till it comes for your health.

for Ranger's you have a shortbow that has a cc, longbow with a cc, traps that can cc, took me 30 mins to figure out how to get the timing correct on my ranger toon but beat it down with other traps, and its a quick to kill. everyone has a cc they can use i think the Ele and Engi are the only 2 that can't use 2 weapons like most other, Mes can use a great sword to cc really well just have to time it right to knock the bar out, and a pistol for the other cc. so think about your other weapon when you get into that Instance its simple to just go from their and its about timing his leap.