What Do We Know About Taimi's "Degenerative Disease"?

Do we _already_ have more information about Taimi's disease, other than what we learned towards the end of LS1 (right before Lion's Arch fell to Scarlet's forces)?

(The remainder of the post is a reminder to others about how little we seem to know; I'm sure Ms Price already knows this.)

Taimi's reunion (in the middle of LS4.2) with her college colleague has sparked some speculation about whether she might be interested in the technology that made Blish how he is today, as a way to help her deal with her "degenerative disease." That made me wonder what we really know about Taimi's condition (and whether she really needs the tech for herself or whether she has some Scruffy 4.0 project in mind).

The only thing I could find on the wiki was [from Season 1](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Taimi/dialogue/season_1#Before_collecting_Scruffy.27s_Parts):

> **Player Character:** Are you injured? What happened to your legs?

> **Taimi:** I was born this way. My legs were never strong enough to carry me very far. Don't pity me, though. I hate pity. And I don't need it because I do just fine for myself.

>

> **PC:** I can see that. Can your legs be cured?

> **T:** That remains to be seen. The degenerative effects of my condition may spread to other parts of my body as I get older, but for now it's just the legs.

>

> **PC:** How far can you walk?

> **T:** I can get in and out of Scruffy when I need to. For example, I can walk from my bedroom to the water closet. Just don't ask me to be your partner in a dance marathon.

**What else do we know with certainty?** I'm interested in actual in-game quotes and canonical details from ANet blogs/interviews.

(This is [cross-posted](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/32107/what-do-we-know-about-taimis-degenerative-disease-minor-ls4-2-spoiler) in the Lore subforum, because I wasn't sure I'd be around to ask today. I'll update that thread with anything we learn here.)

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Jessica Price II.9813" said:

> > *settles into an armchair with tea to watch and read*

>

> Hey, no fair! I was hoping you could tell us if we knew anything else (even if it's just a "yeah, you do... remember?" ;))

> Alrighty then...

> <<Puts the kettle on to brew some tea, too.>>

Heh, I know the answer probably came across as flippant, but it's more, if I tell you what I know about Taimi's degenerative disease, it's going to be from the point of view of where we want to go with it in the future, so I don't want to accidentally spoil things by emphasizing or deemphasizing parts of it, or leaving things out because I know they're not relevant in the future, etc.

Did you watch Battlestar Galactica? Or are you watching Game of Thrones? You know how in the "here's what happened last time" summary, they'd basically confine it to things that were relevant to this week's episode, so you sort of could predict what was coming? I don't want to accidentally do that. :-)

Is it some kind of fantasticaö "magical" ailment (I mean, the Asura DO tend to dabble in magical things they shouldn't, consqeuences be damned so who knows what things like the reactor going asplody' might unleash on them) or is it more akin to an IRL ailment...?

> @"Jessica Price II.9813" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Jessica Price II.9813" said:

> > > *settles into an armchair with tea to watch and read*

> >

> > Hey, no fair! I was hoping you could tell us if we knew anything else (even if it's just a "yeah, you do... remember?" ;))

> > Alrighty then...

> > <<Puts the kettle on to brew some tea, too.>>

>

> Heh, I know the answer probably came across as flippant

Oh, sorry, no, it didn't. I came across (to me anyhow) as a fun way to say, "hmmn, first I'm interested in hearing what y'all have to say on the topic."

> but it's more, if I tell you what I know about Taimi's degenerative disease, it's going to be from the point of view of where we want to go with it in the future, so I don't want to accidentally spoil things by emphasizing or deemphasizing parts of it, or leaving things out because I know they're not relevant in the future, etc.

Right. I suspected when I typed the question that (the collective) you wouldn't be able to answer, because things are, um, brewing.

> Did you watch Battlestar Galactica? Or are you watching Game of Thrones? You know how in the "here's what happened last time" summary, they'd basically confine it to things that were relevant to this week's episode, so you sort of could predict what was coming? I don't want to accidentally do that. :-)

Ha. :)

When binge-watching, I often don't skip the "last time on Jessica Price's Elusive Answers" because I find it very interesting what the showrunner thinks we should remember. That tells me a lot about what they story is they think they're telling and, well, that's not always the same story I thought I was watching.

tl;dr I'm good with your answer (and thank you for adding some more detail as to why you aren't ready to say more this week).

> @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> Taimi = Scruffy 3.0 (she's going to turn herself into a cyborg/Cylon)

> > @"Jessica Price II.9813" said:

> >

> > Did you watch Battlestar Galactica?

I was actually thinking this after Taimi's comment about the golem brother.

Well, we have the Dynamics and Inquest Exo Suits. I'd start with that.

Fight some inquest boss that wears the Inquest exo-suit, Taimi is there or uses our communicator to steal their research on that. And then she makes one for herself, something like the Dynamics Exosuit for Blish . And boom, we get 3 exo-suit oufits, Blish gets a nice body that doesn't look like a a roll-on deodorant, and Taimi gets to run again.

I've always found more inspiring and empowering to have tech that lets people do everything they want to do that having the world be adapted to them, and I'd love to see Taimi kicking as with everyone else. Literally kicking ass herself, not have her golem do it for her. Just imagine her smile if she could go around fighting baddies with her own limbs.

Cross posting this response from the original thread:

> @"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:

> ... there's more dialogue [here](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Edge_of_the_Mists_(living_world)) that establishes her condition could spread to other parts of her body as she gets older. There's also [this developer chat.](

) To bullet point:

> * It's a degenerative bone disease that they deliberately didn't name.

> * Its main effect at this stage is to make walking quite difficult for her.

> * They've intended from the beginning for Taimi to try to stop the spread, reverse it, or find other options if that's not possible.

> * They hoped to create content at some point where the disease is a central crisis.

I'm super excited to see where they take taimes story. My guess would be that the condition will start spreading again, and after she gets rly Close to blish he somehows dies and she decides to turn herself into a super AI and remove her emotions and become some kind of god/mentor (not a evil AI) for the asura? I know this is pretty wild speculation :) ooh or maybe she creates her own asuran city? or a collage?!