Options for a player who can't dodge for crap.

> @"Walder.6524" said:

> I'm interested in returning to GW2, but there's an issue: I'm absolutely terrible at timing dodge rolls. Is there a class and build that is more stationary or otherwise doesn't have to dodge that often? I'm primarily a solo player but enjoy some grouping.

>

> Thanks!

Pick up an MMO mouse with thumb buttons. I recommend the same as mine, Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, not too many buttons but just enough, most importantly they are in the right place. I have dodge and weaponswap keybound to my thumb buttons, the two index finger buttons I have bound to F1 and F2, and I also have another thumb button which is slightly further up than the other two, I have special action key bound to this for raids and 100CM e.t.c.

Honestly I couldn't dodge without one, with dodge on mouse button I can easily select a direction with WASD. I also have strafe buttons keybound to other skills and I have 6-10 keybound below WASD so I don't have to reach over anywhere. MMO's are all about keybinding when it comes to maximising gameplay potential. Pick up the mouse, and you'll be a dodging pro in no time.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/product/g502-proteus-spectrum-rgb-gaming-mouse?WT.mc_id=EMEA_DR_Q2_FY17_SERP&WT.srch=1&ci&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv73VBRCdARIsAOnG8u1NhUGnHw7Rm6IVcFmAJe1n-CKF5QOIPGCSWQXp4ML07m-sHR6HSdgaAjTyEALw_wcB

> @"Walder.6524" said:

> Yes! Hmm, maybe that idea of putting dodge on the middle mouse button...

Definitely. I have the dodge on 1 of my 2 side buttons of my mouse: it's definitely more user-friendly than pressing the Q on the keyboard. A simple "gaming" mouse with just 2 buttons for your big thumb costs 10€, and it's definitely worth the price.

But if you want to keep using yours, the middle/scrolling button might be good as well.

> @"Walder.6524" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > why dont you just bind dodge to a easy to use key?

> > like e or q or a extra mouse button if you have that

>

> But don't you also have to hit a directional key to control the dodge? I'm not kidding, I'm really old and slow! LOL...

I too am OLD and SLOW - yep I'm a member of the grandma gamer army - I have this Dodge problem as well. I've been playing GW for years and have several lvl 80s and for my abilities Ranger is the easiest, but an easy bind for Dodge is still essential. I use my middle mouse button for dodge.

Also, it is easy to build a ranger with a lot of condition removal so if I miss a dodge (sometimes I just don't notice the rings) I can quickly remove conditions. For example:

* Use the Wilderness Survival specialization with the "Wilderness Knowledge" ability - then slot Survival Skills

* Use pets that remove conditions, for example the Juvenile Jacaranda

* Keep a stack of a consumable called "Clean Refreshing Drink"

> @"Walder.6524" said:

> I'm interested in returning to GW2, but there's an issue: I'm absolutely terrible at timing dodge rolls. Is there a class and build that is more stationary or otherwise doesn't have to dodge that often? I'm primarily a solo player but enjoy some grouping.

>

> Thanks!

V key is your friend... hit it often.. any time red gets close to you.. V you agro something... V

doesnt take much to learn when and how to dodge..

try wvw.. you will learn to V a LOT really fast

Well, regardless you'll want to practice and get better at it. It's an integral part of the game. When I'm in some world even for instance I don't mind rezzing someone, but if he keeps going down and doesn't move when an aoe is indicated, I won't keep doing it because it's a waste of time.

Having said that, the profession you'll find requires the least dodging is probably a necromancer with all minions out. You CAN stand back and watch them fighting, and even if you add your auto-hit it's pretty rare that you have to move much. This also makes it the least fun profession/build to play, but there's nothing stopping you from stepping closer and getting in the mix.

I'm slow and not all that coordinated either, because of that I only play ranged.

Lately I've been playing a Rifle Warrior (all passive non weapon skills), he's tough enough not to have to dodge-roll out of most stuff because he can take a serious beating while just blasting away with the first three weapon buttons. I keep a warhorn in the secondary slot for quicker travel, I don't use it for fighting, just the speed boost.

The easiest class I have ever played is Necromancer, specifically the Reaper specialization. No need for minion master, that build kills slow and is boring as hell. Run either Vampiric Wells Reaper or Condi Reaper. For the Vampiric Wells Reaper, just run it with zerker gear and strength runes. For the Condi Reaper, take the Parasitic Contagion trait. Both of those builds will be able to face tank stuff while dealing decent damage. None of this worrying about your positioning, making sure to stay at range, or running something super tanky that takes forever to kill something.

> @"Walder.6524" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > why dont you just bind dodge to a easy to use key?

> > like e or q or a extra mouse button if you have that

>

> But don't you also have to hit a directional key to control the dodge? I'm not kidding, I'm really old and slow! LOL...

I'm old and slow, too, and getting the right keybinding made all the difference for me. Dodging went from hard and uncertain to easy and reliable.

My particular binding may not work for you (I use ESDF for movement, and A for dodge - easy for a touch-typist, since your home-row fingers are all set), and you may still want to go with the low-dodge options in the rest of this thread, but I wanted to mention how great I find this. There's a chance you may like a certain keybinding, too.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Walder.6524" said:

> It's just a coordination thing, I think. I have trouble dodging attacks, not sure why. It's possible that the game just isn't for me.

I am not the best at it either. I changed the binding to V and had some guildies battle me in the GH to help me learn. I also flipped to Druid lol

I find double-tapping a great mechanic, I also map the 'back' roll to V .. BUT I don't enable double-tap because it's forever firing when I'm moving and worse I've failed umpteen JPs due to it when I was trying to edge in some direction, so I gave up with it .. if there were a way to bind this option to a key it would be easy to toggle it, but having to bring up the Options and find its tiny checkbox each time I want to switch is too much of a pain.