More avatars

Could we get a few more avatars for the forums? I had a few thoughts on icons:

1. Norn (spirits of the wild symbols)

2. Human (seraph, shining blade, the 6 human gods symbols)

3. Asura (college symbols, inquest symbol)

4. Sylvari (symbols for the cycle they're born in)

5. Charr (legion symbols)

6. Pact (Vigil, Order of Wispers, Priory)

I could keep going but you get the idea, and I know you don't want to have too many, but 24 just doesn't seem like enough.

Why don't we just pull a WoW or typical forum deal of portraits of existing characters.

More or less you pick your main character to get a mug shot then pick a background color and call it a day. As I'd rather have an image of my own character than some stock photo. Though leave out the whole link to achievements bit as we don't need other people seeing and judging each other.

> @Doam.8305 said:

> Why don't we just pull a WoW or typical forum deal of portraits of existing characters.

This would be nice, hell it would be even nicer to have an whole identity UI pretty much like BnS BUT without the stats and all that, basically have the image you wanted, and a smaller version that you could also choose from any existing pic in your computer. Of course this could lead to some troll pics or bewbs but well I think it would add a bit to the identity of the game.

> @Doam.8305 said:

> Why don't we just pull a WoW or typical forum deal of portraits of existing characters.

>

> More or less you pick your main character to get a mug shot then pick a background color and call it a day. **As I'd rather have an image of my own character **than some stock photo. Though leave out the whole link to achievements bit as we don't need other people seeing and judging each other.

If I could chose a pic for this forum, i would have been one of my chars. That would be most fitting for me.

That with wow forum works fine, you can have one of your chars as pic and being recognizable for others.

> @lothefallen.7081 said:

> I see no point in having an Avatar system unless you can upload your own thumbnails.

I agree; I don't know why some forums only let you use their avatars. I don't see a real benefit. They either want the avatars to be "appropriate" for everyone aged 13+ or they want the forum to "fit the theme" of the game. That, of course, is assuming that they have the back-end technology available for us to be able to upload our own portraits, which, I'm pretty sure they do, but I'm not certain.

The moderators can always punish users who upload inappropriate avatars, like moderators do, and this forum is so meta anyway, I don't think they care if it fits the game's theme.

All that being said, we'll only know for sure why they chose this system if we ask the forum's developers themselves.

I honestly don't see a point in having avatars. It has already been stated that we can't use custom ones because uploading images is apparently a security issue. So in my opinion all they are at this point is over sized flair like on Reddit. They expand the spacing of threads on the forum page and don't really accomplish anything due to lack of customization. "Hey look my avatar is a generic Mesmer", what's the point? If you want to have your forum presence more personal then a text signature can do that. Although I think there are restrictions on the new forum that won't allow a signature until a certain rank. That's a bit lame too as a paying customer shouldn't be restricted based on some post count or up votes to have a signature.

> @Ubi.4136 said:

> I imagine they will let us upload our own images at some point, but, much like signatures, will require you to "level up" your forum account to be able to do it.

> /smh

I would not count on it.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> I am sorry for the inconvenience. When we were investigating options for our new forums, one of the parameters set by our Security person was that we disallow all images on the forums. This is not a decision I wanted, as it seriously impacts a number of discussion types, including fan art, guild recruitment, events, and much more. But I'm afraid that as a security measure, we cannot accept images on the forums, and must ask for hosting and for a user going through the steps required to view an image on an external site.

>

> Again, I am very sorry for this inconvenience and wish there was another way to make this more fluid and easy for everyone.

> @Catbuggalicious.2548 said:

> Yeah, I was wondering about signatures. They're pretty much the best part of any forum, and shouldn't be locked, in my opinion. But it's a shame we can't use custom images anyway, especially in signatures.

> Does anyone know what "level" your account has to be at before you can use a signature?

Maybe some badge collection you have to earn. Perhaps Dulfy will have a guide up soon. ;)

> @lothefallen.7081 said:

> I see no point in having an Avatar system unless you can upload your own thumbnails.

Same. I have a variety of interests, and I like expressing those things. In a forum I was a part of a LONG time ago, we have all sorts of options to personalize our profile, and that was something I appreciated. It made me feel like it was MINE, rather than me trying to fit into a box the forum wanted me to be a part of.

I think the avatars are just flair which is fine. Not particularly meant to be unique but just visuals to break up the text. I'm in agreement with the OP, more options would be great. Don't forget to add avatars of the lesser races (Grawl, Skritt, etc.) as well as the other races (Tengu, Kodan, etc.).

Archived