Why my video card run so hot?

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> Just taken a look at the Radeon xfx 580.. seems that card does run a little hotter and the fans tend to kick in at around 40degrees.. the loud fans might be caused with them ramping straight up to full speed or something between stock temp and fullspeed if your ambient temps are above 40degs.. ie are you near a hot radiator, is your heating up real high anyway.

> If you have no fan control software installed you might not be running the fans at the right speeds as temps increase.

> I would say that on high settings you should be seeing temps around 65-75degrees and 60 fps is more than achievable..

Now that I have you here. I have a secondardy question also if you don't mind.

I seemed to max out on Centeral Tryia Masteries. But I don't know where to go to train or unlock it. I used an 80 boost. However I'm doing my personal story first. I'm at level 40 story. Where do I go to unlock Tryia mastery's?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > Just taken a look at the Radeon xfx 580.. seems that card does run a little hotter and the fans tend to kick in at around 40degrees.. the loud fans might be caused with them ramping straight up to full speed or something between stock temp and fullspeed if your ambient temps are above 40degs.. ie are you near a hot radiator, is your heating up real high anyway.

> > If you have no fan control software installed you might not be running the fans at the right speeds as temps increase.

> > I would say that on high settings you should be seeing temps around 65-75degrees and 60 fps is more than achievable..

>

> Now that I have you here. I have a secondardy question also if you don't mind.

>

> I seemed to max out on Centeral Tryia Masteries. But I don't know where to go to train or unlock it. I used an 80 boost. However I'm doing my personal story first. I'm at level 40 story. Where do I go to unlock Tryia mastery's?

You acquire Mastery Points at lvl 80 much the same as hero points.. you will see them marked on maps (I think central Tyria masteries are reddish iirc)

Central Tyria has 3 Mastery Categories- Pact Commander, Legendary Crafting and Fractal Attunement.

Each category has various mastery unlocks which you unlock by playing the game normally and acquiring mastery xp. When you max out a particular masteryfor example Pact Mentor (in the Pact Commander Mastery category) you need to unlock it using the mastery points you have acquired.. this might cost anything from 1 to 9 mastery points depending on which one your unlocking.

To check progress of your masteries go to your Hero Panel and click on masteries - central Tyria

If your new to the game I would not of recommended you go lvl 80 boost straight away.. there's a lot to learn

> > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > Just taken a look at the Radeon xfx 580.. seems that card does run a little hotter and the fans tend to kick in at around 40degrees.. the loud fans might be caused with them ramping straight up to full speed or something between stock temp and fullspeed if your ambient temps are above 40degs.. ie are you near a hot radiator, is your heating up real high anyway.

> > > If you have no fan control software installed you might not be running the fans at the right speeds as temps increase.

> > > I would say that on high settings you should be seeing temps around 65-75degrees and 60 fps is more than achievable..

> >

> > Now that I have you here. I have a secondardy question also if you don't mind.

> >

> > I seemed to max out on Centeral Tryia Masteries. But I don't know where to go to train or unlock it. I used an 80 boost. However I'm doing my personal story first. I'm at level 40 story. Where do I go to unlock Tryia mastery's?

>

> You acquire Mastery Points at lvl 80 much the same as hero points.. you will see them marked on maps (I think central Tyria masteries are reddish iirc)

> Central Tyria has 3 Mastery Categories- Pact Commander, Legendary Crafting and Fractal Attunement.

> Each category has various mastery unlocks which you unlock by playing the game normally and acquiring mastery xp. When you max out a particular masteryfor example Pact Mentor (in the Pact Commander Mastery category) you need to unlock it using the mastery points you have acquired.. this might cost anything from 1 to 9 mastery points depending on which one your unlocking.

> To check progress of your masteries go to your Hero Panel and click on masteries - central Tyria

>

> If your new to the game I would not of recommended you go lvl 80 boost straight away.. there's a lot to learn

It says I have go to Heart of Tyria. I haven't unlocked that portion of the map yet. I only used the boost because someone mentioned I get uber gear and I can work my way back to do personal story. My question where exactly in heart of Tyria do I start this quest? It's saying its max unlocked but I have go to Tyria. I'd like know exactly so I can hurry and get back to my personal misson.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> You need to do the first story in either heart of thorns or path of fire to unlock mastries you can then go back and continue your core personal story and replay said episode when your at that point in the story.

Where do I go to do that? This is hard because I am on my personal story right now, you say I need go to do another story. I wouldn't know where to start that at.

press H to get the hero panel then you have a star in the middle over the crafting hammer.

Top of it is my story what your doing at the moment check further down you will see heart of thorns(green text) and/or path of fire(purple text)

click either and start story.

To get back to your other story go up to my story and continue on what ever chapter you were on.

Is the front of your case closed off? You didn't show the front panel, but a lot of glass oriented cases have closed front panels with small vents that provide nearly zero airflow which impacts the gpu temperatures. GW2 can cause gpu temperatures to go up to 70-80 degrees normally, and with a closed off case on top of a line of gpus with inconsistent cooling it wouldn't be surprising if the temperatures reached 90 degrees.

One thing you can do is remove the front panel of your case, ensuring your gpu is not overclocked, and a clean re-install of your drivers and gw2.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> press H to get the hero panel then you have a star in the middle over the crafting hammer.

> Top of it is my story what your doing at the moment check further down you will see heart of thorns(green text) and/or path of fire(purple text)

> click either and start story.

>

> To get back to your other story go up to my story and continue on what ever chapter you were on.

> @"Yamazuki.6073" said:

> Is the front of your case closed off? You didn't show the front panel, but a lot of glass oriented cases have closed front panels with small vents that provide nearly zero airflow which impacts the gpu temperatures. GW2 can cause gpu temperatures to go up to 70-80 degrees normally, and with a closed off case on top of a line of gpus with inconsistent cooling it wouldn't be surprising if the temperatures reached 90 degrees.

>

> One thing you can do is remove the front panel of your case, ensuring your gpu is not overclocked, and a clean re-install of your drivers and gw2.

It's opened. I opened it and removed the front vent that it has on there for more airflow so more dust does get in but also more airflow. It has three small fans at the front but I don't think its doing a great job.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> press H to get the hero panel then you have a star in the middle over the crafting hammer.

> Top of it is my story what your doing at the moment check further down you will see heart of thorns(green text) and/or path of fire(purple text)

> click either and start story.

>

> To get back to your other story go up to my story and continue on what ever chapter you were on.

I did the first chapter and I don't see a way to do mastery. On heart of thorns

I am not techie enough regarding the high temperature of your pc but regarding the masteries, read through this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery

Keep in mind that you can only get your central tyria masteries in the core zones of the game (think queendale, orr, ascalon, ....), the HoT expansion masteries can only be done in HoT zones, and the PoF expansion masteries in PoF zones.

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > press H to get the hero panel then you have a star in the middle over the crafting hammer.

> > Top of it is my story what your doing at the moment check further down you will see heart of thorns(green text) and/or path of fire(purple text)

> > click either and start story.

> >

> > To get back to your other story go up to my story and continue on what ever chapter you were on.

>

> I did the first chapter and I don't see a way to do mastery. On heart of thorns

did you do thorn from the sky? the other one is just a prelude to get into hot maps.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > press H to get the hero panel then you have a star in the middle over the crafting hammer.

> > > Top of it is my story what your doing at the moment check further down you will see heart of thorns(green text) and/or path of fire(purple text)

> > > click either and start story.

> > >

> > > To get back to your other story go up to my story and continue on what ever chapter you were on.

> >

> > I did the first chapter and I don't see a way to do mastery. On heart of thorns

>

> did you do thorn from the sky? the other one is just a prelude to get into hot maps.

I did throns from the sky. It appears I'm in training to get my glider.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> Your video card should not be overheating as this game taxes the cpu more.

This is not entirely true. Atleast not in these wording. It is not possible to compare the load on the cpu with the load on the gpu.

Gw2 relies more on the cpu and less on the gpu when compared to other games with simular graphics. This has little to do with the op's issue which is more a matter of faulty equipment.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > Your video card should not be overheating as this game taxes the cpu more.

>

> This is not entirely true. Atleast not in these wording. It is not possible to compare the load on the cpu with the load on the gpu.

>

> Gw2 relies more on the cpu and less on the gpu when compared to other games with simular graphics. This has little to do with the op's issue which is more a matter of faulty equipment.

>

>

I am not sure it's faulty equipment, more a case of poor installation of the equipment and then utilizing overclocking software and not knowing what they are doing, then hitting high settings on everything... in order to get his best FPS as possible.

Unfortunately that's a really bad combination of issues.

That's why I suggested the OP put a piccye of his gw2 settings, list his system specs and maybe a picky of his actual pc, front back.

Something is causing the issue and my bet is its is down to very poor airflow management not faulty equipment.

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > Your video card should not be overheating as this game taxes the cpu more.

> >

> > This is not entirely true. Atleast not in these wording. It is not possible to compare the load on the cpu with the load on the gpu.

> >

> > Gw2 relies more on the cpu and less on the gpu when compared to other games with simular graphics. This has little to do with the op's issue which is more a matter of faulty equipment.

> >

> >

>

> I am not sure it's faulty equipment, more a case of poor installation of the equipment and then utilizing overclocking software and not knowing what they are doing, then hitting high settings on everything... in order to get his best FPS as possible.

> Unfortunately that's a really bad combination of issues.

>

> That's why I suggested the OP put a piccye of his gw2 settings, list his system specs and maybe a picky of his actual pc, front back.

>

> Something is causing the issue and my bet is its is down to very poor airflow management not faulty equipment.

>

I have 16GB of memory(7.90 USABLE

Processor AMD FX 8350 eight core processor

System type window 7 operating system

I'm using an SSD TB but its a bit older one

How do I list my guild wars setting?

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > Your video card should not be overheating as this game taxes the cpu more.

> >

> > This is not entirely true. Atleast not in these wording. It is not possible to compare the load on the cpu with the load on the gpu.

> >

> > Gw2 relies more on the cpu and less on the gpu when compared to other games with simular graphics. This has little to do with the op's issue which is more a matter of faulty equipment.

> >

> >

>

> I am not sure it's faulty equipment, more a case of poor installation of the equipment and then utilizing overclocking software and not knowing what they are doing, then hitting high settings on everything... in order to get his best FPS as possible.

> Unfortunately that's a really bad combination of issues.

>

> That's why I suggested the OP put a piccye of his gw2 settings, list his system specs and maybe a picky of his actual pc, front back.

>

> Something is causing the issue and my bet is its is down to very poor airflow management not faulty equipment.

>

Let's not discuss semantics. Bad airflow, or bad assembly falls to me into the faulty equipment book

> > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > Your video card should not be overheating as this game taxes the cpu more.

> > >

> > > This is not entirely true. Atleast not in these wording. It is not possible to compare the load on the cpu with the load on the gpu.

> > >

> > > Gw2 relies more on the cpu and less on the gpu when compared to other games with simular graphics. This has little to do with the op's issue which is more a matter of faulty equipment.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I am not sure it's faulty equipment, more a case of poor installation of the equipment and then utilizing overclocking software and not knowing what they are doing, then hitting high settings on everything... in order to get his best FPS as possible.

> > Unfortunately that's a really bad combination of issues.

> >

> > That's why I suggested the OP put a piccye of his gw2 settings, list his system specs and maybe a picky of his actual pc, front back.

> >

> > Something is causing the issue and my bet is its is down to very poor airflow management not faulty equipment.

> >

>

> I have 16GB of memory(7.90 USABLE

>

> Processor AMD FX 8350 eight core processor

>

> System type window 7 operating system

>

> I'm using an SSD TB but its a bit older one

>

> How do I list my guild wars setting?

Just take a picky of your graphics settings in game for now... Option -> Graphics settings

> Eeerm pretty sure tweaking your settings will reduce heat

Yes, but that's putting a band aid on it, not solving the actual issue. Why should you be forced to reduce graphics quality when you can instead make sure your card (and system as a whole) gets enough cooling to not run that hot in the first place?

@OP: Apart from proper GPU cooling via software, your case requires a fan in front and one on the side (next to your PCI slots) that suck air in, one on the back that blows it out (and, if possible to install in your case, also 1-2 on top that also blow the hot air out). Most BIOSes allow you to set your case fan speed to maximum. If not, there is third party software that can do it, but I would recommend the former option, if possible (i.e., via BIOS).

> I have 16GB of memory(7.90 USABLE

> Processor AMD FX 8350 eight core processor

> System type window 7 operating system

> I'm using an SSD TB but its a bit older one

**Can you finally give me your exact card's name (manufacturer and model)?** If you don't know how to do it, download [speccy](https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy "Speccy") and type down what it says under "Graphics".

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> Your video card should not be overheating as this game taxes the cpu more. Are you just doing general stuff or is it a busy scene (like a boss fight)? Are lots of other things running on your computer?

You cannot say that. Even my overclocked 1080ti with 140% powertarget goes to 100% useage in some scenes. So a RX580 will go to max useage much earlier.

But I have a 165Hz screen, maybe activating vsync on a 60Hz screen will be enough to fix his problem

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > Eeerm pretty sure tweaking your settings will reduce heat

>

> Yes, but that's putting a band aid on it, not solving the actual issue. Why should you be forced to reduce graphics quality when you can instead make sure your card (and system as a whole) gets enough cooling to not run that hot in the first place?

>

> @OP: Apart from proper GPU cooling via software, your case requires a fan in front and one on the side (next to your PCI slots) that suck air in, one on the back that blows it out (and, if possible to install in your case, also 1-2 on top that also blow the hot air out). Most BIOSes allow you to set your case fan speed to maximum. If not, there is third party software that can do it, but I would recommend the former option, if possible (i.e., via BIOS).

>

> > I have 16GB of memory(7.90 USABLE

> > Processor AMD FX 8350 eight core processor

> > System type window 7 operating system

> > I'm using an SSD TB but its a bit older one

>

> **Can you finally give me your exact card's name (manufacturer and model)?** If you don't know how to do it, download [speccy](https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy "Speccy") and type down what it says under "Graphics".

I have

XFX RX-580P8DFD6 Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB 1386MHz 8Gb 256-bit GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Eyefinity Video Card

> > > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > > Your video card should not be overheating as this game taxes the cpu more.

> > > >

> > > > This is not entirely true. Atleast not in these wording. It is not possible to compare the load on the cpu with the load on the gpu.

> > > >

> > > > Gw2 relies more on the cpu and less on the gpu when compared to other games with simular graphics. This has little to do with the op's issue which is more a matter of faulty equipment.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I am not sure it's faulty equipment, more a case of poor installation of the equipment and then utilizing overclocking software and not knowing what they are doing, then hitting high settings on everything... in order to get his best FPS as possible.

> > > Unfortunately that's a really bad combination of issues.

> > >

> > > That's why I suggested the OP put a piccye of his gw2 settings, list his system specs and maybe a picky of his actual pc, front back.

> > >

> > > Something is causing the issue and my bet is its is down to very poor airflow management not faulty equipment.

> > >

> >

> > I have 16GB of memory(7.90 USABLE

> >

> > Processor AMD FX 8350 eight core processor

> >

> > System type window 7 operating system

> >

> > I'm using an SSD TB but its a bit older one

> >

> > How do I list my guild wars setting?

>

> Just take a picky of your graphics settings in game for now... Option -> Graphics settings

I'll take a picture just as soon it finishes repairing. Every time I load it. It repairs it for an hour before it starts.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > Your video card should not be overheating as this game taxes the cpu more. Are you just doing general stuff or is it a busy scene (like a boss fight)? Are lots of other things running on your computer?

> You cannot say that. Even my overclocked 1080ti with 140% powertarget goes to 100% useage in some scenes. So a RX580 will go to max useage much earlier.

> But I have a 165Hz screen, maybe activating vsync on a 60Hz screen will be enough to fix his problem

I have a 60HZ screen. I was surprised. My video card is pretty nice compared to my old 780GTX. I'm not used to it getting so loud. I thought it would be really smooth on this game. Maybe its my system but I didn't think it could be so rough on it sometimes, and everytime I load it, it goes into repair mode. I downloaded MSI afterburner to control the speed a bit better.