How to become a VIP

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

>

> As I understand it the Chinese VIP system is the result of 2 things:

> 1) American companies are not allowed to operate directly in China, they have to go through a Chinese partner who gets final say on everything

> 2) Free-to-play games with heavy pay-to-win elements are the most common MMOs in China

>

> Arenanet's Chinese partner thought that Guild Wars 2 as it was would be too strange for Chinese players. When it was first released there was no free version of GW2 and I've heard that in China they had to focus the advertising on explaining why you had to buy the game up front, because Chinese players wouldn't expect that. Apparently they thought that adding some systems from free-to-play games would be both more profitable and make the game seem more familiar to Chinese players.

>

> (I've also heard rumours that had mixed results because some people got GW2 because they'd heard it was different to other MMOs and were unhappy to find the same systems included, especially when they weren't in the US/EU version. But I don't know how true that is and if it's any more significant than the usual problem of being unable to keep everyone happy no matter what you do.)

Yes. I agree the heavy pay win elements can really ruin a game. It's odd that instead of making it free to play they focused heavily on making people buy it upfront. If I had not got to play this game free from level 1-10. I might not have gotten it. By level 8. I knew I was going to enjoy the game. That's so unusual Chinese companies can operate here in the US if they wanted to. It doesn't make entire sense we couldn't do the same there.

> @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > > The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

> >

> > As I understand it the Chinese VIP system is the result of 2 things:

> > 1) American companies are not allowed to operate directly in China, they have to go through a Chinese partner who gets final say on everything

> > 2) Free-to-play games with heavy pay-to-win elements are the most common MMOs in China

> >

> > Arenanet's Chinese partner thought that Guild Wars 2 as it was would be too strange for Chinese players. When it was first released there was no free version of GW2 and I've heard that in China they had to focus the advertising on explaining why you had to buy the game up front, because Chinese players wouldn't expect that. Apparently they thought that adding some systems from free-to-play games would be both more profitable and make the game seem more familiar to Chinese players.

> >

> > (I've also heard rumours that had mixed results because some people got GW2 because they'd heard it was different to other MMOs and were unhappy to find the same systems included, especially when they weren't in the US/EU version. But I don't know how true that is and if it's any more significant than the usual problem of being unable to keep everyone happy no matter what you do.)

>

> Yes. I agree the heavy pay win elements can really ruin a game. It's odd that instead of making it free to play they focused heavily on making people buy it upfront. If I had not got to play this game free from level 1-10. I might not have gotten it. By level 8. I knew I was going to enjoy the game. That's so unusual Chinese companies can operate here in the US if they wanted to. It doesn't make entire sense we couldn't do the same there.

There's allot of reasons but at the end of the day it boils down to they don't like allot of outside influence.

> @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > > > On a serious note are you talking this?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > The relevant bit of this video is at 7:10 when they find a VIP player.

> > > > >

> > > > > As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

> > > >

> > > > The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

> > >

> > > It's ran/managed by a different company.

> >

> > Then it couldn't have been VIP as I thought. Maybe it was PVP or PVE tag. I recall it standing out. I thought to myself. How do I get to be a "VIP"

>

> But the purple tag could have been a purple commander icon.

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commander

It's possible I mistook the commander title. I was in one area of the map. It asked me if I wanted to go to a more populated area of the map, even with doing this. It shouldn't have brought me to the Chinese servers. My only guess I mistook the guild title or commander title for VIP. I just recall it stood out. But It couldn't have been on VIP area.

> > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > > > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > > > > On a serious note are you talking this?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The relevant bit of this video is at 7:10 when they find a VIP player.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

> > > > >

> > > > > The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

> > > >

> > > > It's ran/managed by a different company.

> > >

> > > Then it couldn't have been VIP as I thought. Maybe it was PVP or PVE tag. I recall it standing out. I thought to myself. How do I get to be a "VIP"

> >

> > But the purple tag could have been a purple commander icon.

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commander

>

> It's possible I mistook the commander title. I was in one area of the map. It asked me if I wanted to go to a more populated area of the map, even with doing this. **It shouldn't have brought me to the Chinese servers**. My only guess I mistook the guild title or commander title for VIP. I just recall it stood out. But It couldn't have been on VIP area.

It never can take you to a Chinese server. That requires buying the Chinese version of the game and logging on to it separately.

> > > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > > > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > > > > On a serious note are you talking this?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The relevant bit of this video is at 7:10 when they find a VIP player.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

> > > > >

> > > > > The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

> > > >

> > > > It's ran/managed by a different company.

> > >

> > > Then it couldn't have been VIP as I thought. Maybe it was PVP or PVE tag. I recall it standing out. I thought to myself. How do I get to be a "VIP"

> >

> > But the purple tag could have been a purple commander icon.

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commander

>

> It's possible I mistook the commander title. I was in one area of the map. It asked me if I wanted to go to a more populated area of the map, even with doing this. It shouldn't have brought me to the Chinese servers. My only guess I mistook the guild title or commander title for VIP. I just recall it stood out. But It couldn't have been on VIP area.

Yea there's no way unless you purchased a Chinese copy that you'd be able to see anyone with a VIP tag. If you're on NA you wouldn't even be able to see people on the EU servers unless you transferred to EU.

> > > > > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > > > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > > > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > > > > > On a serious note are you talking this?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The relevant bit of this video is at 7:10 when they find a VIP player.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

> > > > >

> > > > > It's ran/managed by a different company.

> > > >

> > > > Then it couldn't have been VIP as I thought. Maybe it was PVP or PVE tag. I recall it standing out. I thought to myself. How do I get to be a "VIP"

> > >

> > > But the purple tag could have been a purple commander icon.

> > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commander

> >

> > It's possible I mistook the commander title. I was in one area of the map. It asked me if I wanted to go to a more populated area of the map, even with doing this. It shouldn't have brought me to the Chinese servers. My only guess I mistook the guild title or commander title for VIP. I just recall it stood out. But It couldn't have been on VIP area.

>

> Yea there's no way unless you purchased a Chinese copy that you'd be able to see anyone with a VIP tag. If you're on NA you wouldn't even be able to see people on the EU servers unless you transferred to EU.

I bought my order from this site, directly from it and downloaded it on here.

> > > > > > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > > > > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > > > > > > On a serious note are you talking this?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The relevant bit of this video is at 7:10 when they find a VIP player.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's ran/managed by a different company.

> > > > >

> > > > > Then it couldn't have been VIP as I thought. Maybe it was PVP or PVE tag. I recall it standing out. I thought to myself. How do I get to be a "VIP"

> > > >

> > > > But the purple tag could have been a purple commander icon.

> > > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commander

> > >

> > > It's possible I mistook the commander title. I was in one area of the map. It asked me if I wanted to go to a more populated area of the map, even with doing this. It shouldn't have brought me to the Chinese servers. My only guess I mistook the guild title or commander title for VIP. I just recall it stood out. But It couldn't have been on VIP area.

> >

> > Yea there's no way unless you purchased a Chinese copy that you'd be able to see anyone with a VIP tag. If you're on NA you wouldn't even be able to see people on the EU servers unless you transferred to EU.

>

> I bought my order from this site, directly from it and downloaded it on here.

Then you could play on NA or EU servers.

> @"Rukhil.5271" said:

> If you're in NA servers and you're talking about guild tags, VIP is a large guild alliance and they're pretty much always recruiting.

>

> Vengeance Ignited Phoenix

> Vengeance In Power

>

> Can't remember the others I've seen around.

We have 2 or 3 more guilds too!

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > > I'm very new to the game and I don't quite know how to get that cool VIP tag I see on some people, what does VIP offer, and how do I become one?

> > > >

> > > > Hi. I don't think I've seen a VIP tag, but I have seen guilds named VIP, so if you're seeing something like Fred Player.1234 [VIP] then that's their guild tag, and not a special designation.

> > >

> > > Ah. Yes, I've seen the VIP in purple letters. I assumed it was the person. I'm really new. I just that tag on my first day. Someone ran past me with it. It looked nice.

> >

> > The purple letters intrigues me. I thought it would be green. Hmmm...

> >

> > In any case, Icemanfrost, don't hesitate to ask questions here. We'll all try to help you, and I want to be sure to say "Welcome to Tyria" and wish you well in your journey!

>

> I found it very interesting myself. I remember it because the letters stood out. It wasn't in green and it was just the "VIP" in purple. I thought it said "VIP player" Maybe it was the zone. It asked me "do you want to go to a more populated area of the same map?" it randomly synced me in a more high population place of the same map. It interested me. Maybe I was mistaken though. Thank you very much. It's great to be here. :)

Are you running the new Windows 10 version and, if so, do you happen to have any of the three new colorblind settings turned on? I am colorblind. Green and purple are two of my problem colors and I know the Windows settings alter them significantly.

You can check by going to your settings and looking for the "Color and High Contrast" tab to see if the "Apply Color Filter" is turned on.

> @"Blaeys.3102" said:

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > > > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > > > > > I'm very new to the game and I don't quite know how to get that cool VIP tag I see on some people, what does VIP offer, and how do I become one?

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi. I don't think I've seen a VIP tag, but I have seen guilds named VIP, so if you're seeing something like Fred Player.1234 [VIP] then that's their guild tag, and not a special designation.

> > > >

> > > > Ah. Yes, I've seen the VIP in purple letters. I assumed it was the person. I'm really new. I just that tag on my first day. Someone ran past me with it. It looked nice.

> > >

> > > The purple letters intrigues me. I thought it would be green. Hmmm...

> > >

> > > In any case, Icemanfrost, don't hesitate to ask questions here. We'll all try to help you, and I want to be sure to say "Welcome to Tyria" and wish you well in your journey!

> >

> > I found it very interesting myself. I remember it because the letters stood out. It wasn't in green and it was just the "VIP" in purple. I thought it said "VIP player" Maybe it was the zone. It asked me "do you want to go to a more populated area of the same map?" it randomly synced me in a more high population place of the same map. It interested me. Maybe I was mistaken though. Thank you very much. It's great to be here. :)

>

> Are you running the new Windows 10 version and, if so, do you happen to have any of the three new colorblind settings turned on? I am colorblind. Green and purple are two of my problem colors and I know the Windows settings alter them significantly.

>

> You can check by going to your settings and looking for the "Color and High Contrast" tab to see if the "Apply Color Filter" is turned on.

I have win 7 currently. Win 10 caused too many problems with compatibility.

> @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> Interesting. Never even knew about this. Thank you for the video.

I would have recorded it or took a screenshot. I didn't know how they were only on Chinese servers. I thought it was common. I likely just mistook sometimes commander title or guild name but it really looked like it. It said VIP Player in a different font.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > > I'm very new to the game and I don't quite know how to get that cool VIP tag I see on some people, what does VIP offer, and how do I become one?

> > >

> > > Hi. I don't think I've seen a VIP tag, but I have seen guilds named VIP, so if you're seeing something like Fred Player.1234 [VIP] then that's their guild tag, and not a special designation.

> >

> > Ah. Yes, I've seen the VIP in purple letters. I assumed it was the person. I'm really new. I just that tag on my first day. Someone ran past me with it. It looked nice.

>

> The purple letters intrigues me. I thought it would be green. Hmmm...

>

> In any case, Icemanfrost, don't hesitate to ask questions here. We'll all try to help you, and I want to be sure to say "Welcome to Tyria" and wish you well in your journey!

Thank you very much. It's very nice to be here :)

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > On a serious note are you talking this?

> > >

> >

> > The relevant bit of this video is at 7:10 when they find a VIP player.

> >

> > As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

>

> The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

Since you are new here.. slight clarification for you.

Gaile Grey is not just an "other poster". She is:

1. An Arenanet employee. (As seen by the red banner and "Anet" behind her name.)

2. The original GW2 goddess, since she was forum monitor and CSM when the game was in Beta

3. She has since been elevated to ascended status, so I am still not quite sure what her powers are now.

> @"Darlgon.9273" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > On a serious note are you talking this?

> > > >

> > >

> > > The relevant bit of this video is at 7:10 when they find a VIP player.

> > >

> > > As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

> >

> > The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

>

> Since you are new here.. slight clarification for you.

>

> Gaile Grey is not just an "other poster". She is:

>

> 1. An Arenanet employee. (As seen by the red banner and "Anet" behind her name.)

> 2. The original GW2 goddess, since she was forum monitor and CSM when the game was in Beta

> 3. She has since been elevated to ascended status, so I am still not quite sure what her powers are now.

Her legend grows.

> @"Darlgon.9273" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > On a serious note are you talking this?

> > > >

> > >

> > > The relevant bit of this video is at 7:10 when they find a VIP player.

> > >

> > > As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

> >

>

> Since you are new here.. slight clarification for you.

>

> Gaile Grey is not just an "other poster". She is:

>

> 1. An Arenanet employee. (As seen by the red banner and "Anet" behind her name.)

> 2. The original GW2 goddess, since she was forum monitor and CSM when the game was in Beta

> 3. **She has since been elevated to ascended status, so I am still not quite sure what her powers are now.**

Her powers can only be described as... Legendary.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Darlgon.9273" said:

> > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> > > > > On a serious note are you talking this?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > The relevant bit of this video is at 7:10 when they find a VIP player.

> > > >

> > > > As previously mentioned this system only exists on the Chinese server. The Chinese version of the game is run by a different company and apparently there's quite a few differences between it and the EU/NA version.

> > >

> > > The VIP tag looked like it was in purple. As other poster mentioned. It might have just been a guild tag. I was for sure almost a hundred percent that I saw it twice, one when I first joined and another time. I thought it said "VIP player" I could have accidentally mistaken it for guild tag. May I ask why they have it on Chinese servers?

> >

> > Since you are new here.. slight clarification for you.

> >

> > Gaile Grey is not just an "other poster". She is:

> >

> > 1. An Arenanet employee. (As seen by the red banner and "Anet" behind her name.)

> > 2. The original GW2 goddess, since she was forum monitor and CSM when the game was in Beta

> > 3. **She has since been elevated to ascended status, so I am still not quite sure what her powers are now.**

>

> Her powers can only be described as... Legendary.

>

>

No no they cant be described #she works in #mysterious ways.

> I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.

> People know me.

> I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my guild hall smells of rich mahogany.

I'm jealous I'm kinda a big deal, people do know me, but my guild hall smells like cheap fast food and mountain dew.

> @"ratche.6204" said:

> > I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.

> > People know me.

> > I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my guild hall smells of rich mahogany.

>

> I'm jealous I'm kinda a big deal, people do know me, but my guild hall smells like cheap fast food and mountain dew.

I love mountain dew. Sadly I can't drink it anymore. I lost too many teeth to it.