Ascended Aquabreathers

tl;dr if you aren't able to put your ascended gear in the forge, it's been on ANet's list to fix. It was an oversight (according to them), but it's not a high priority to fix.

Also in my opinion, it's not all that important; I strongly recommend that people use the best masterwork or rare breather they find.

> @"Forsaken.7015" said:

> Why is this not selectable in an ascended chest box or in ascended chest of helms from fotm.

They aren't helms. They are breathers.

> I also noticed on the wiki that these are not stat changeable from mystic forge is this intended or an oversight?

ANet said a while back that they didn't think about it. I thought they had fixed it, but ... well (see below).

I'd much rather ANet removed breathers from the game _as equipment_ and just use the wardrobe skin.

* Breathers aren't required to, you know, breathe underwater; it's entirely cosmetic as far as being underwater is concerned.

* And yet, they require having their own stats and a 7th rune, so you don't lose stats

* And yet, they are entirely unnecessary: there is no content that requires having an ascended breather (the only underwater fractal doesn't require enough AR that anyone with AR150 needs to worry about it when they go underwater). It's a marginal difference in WvW.

Consequently, I almost always use the 'free' breathers I get from leveling up or from Wintersday. I've occasionally bought a rare from the TP (when it's cheap). I definitely think it's a waste of 5 ecto + an exotic insignia to transform the stats; whatever you have on it should work just fine.

I just found this covered in the [Curated Issue Tracker](https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/231272908-Known-Issue-Tracker):

> * **Items:** You can't use the Mystic Forge to change stats on Ascended aquabreathers

> * **Status:** Investigating

> * “Investigating” means we are aware of the issue, but haven’t yet found a fix for it.

• 1 month later...

> @"Forsaken.7015" said:

> Why is this not selectable in an ascended chest box or in ascended chest of helms from fotm. I also noticed on the wiki that these are not stat changeable from mystic forge is this intended or an oversight?

Rather than creating a new thread, I searched and found this one. Anet, why after all the effort related to the recent underwater skill changes/updates, did you NOT permit us to stat-change Aquabreathers in the Mystic Forge?

• 2 months later...

I am asking the same question because I just crafted a viper insignea and cant use it. thought it could be changed as well. If I knew it couldnt I would have crafted a yassith insignea because I had all mats to do jeweled damask patch. but I made the other one thinking I could change. what dumb I am, because it wouldnt even cost me me more for doing jeweled if I had all mats. f me.

> @"OlsenSan.2987" said:

> I am asking the same question because I just crafted a viper insignea and cant use it. thought it could be changed as well. If I knew it couldnt I would have crafted a yassith insignea because I had all mats to do jeweled damask patch. but I made the other one thinking I could change. what dumb I am, because it wouldnt even cost me me more for doing jeweled if I had all mats. f me.

You need an Exotic Viper's Insignia in order to craft an Ascended Yassith's Insignia so you haven't lost anything.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Yassith%27s_Viper%27s_Insignia

What? Of course Aquabreathers are needed, at least for Immersion (non pun intended... or was it?). I know you can unequip them and still spend hours under the ocean, but its a nice touch just to explain how can your character breath underwater, it would be weird otherwise. you get my point.

Like people said, you can do fine with a good exotic aquabreather, just make sure you have the 7th rune on it because it automatically swaps your helm once you get underwater. I intend to make the ascended one through crafting.

> @"Forsaken.7015" said:

> Why is this not selectable in an ascended chest box or in ascended chest of helms from fotm. I also noticed on the wiki that these are not stat changeable from mystic forge is this intended or an oversight?

I agree that aquabreathers these days should be treated like all other ascended armor pieces. :+1:

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"OlsenSan.2987" said:

> > I am asking the same question because I just crafted a viper insignea and cant use it. thought it could be changed as well. If I knew it couldnt I would have crafted a yassith insignea because I had all mats to do jeweled damask patch. but I made the other one thinking I could change. what dumb I am, because it wouldnt even cost me me more for doing jeweled if I had all mats. f me.

>

> You need an Exotic Viper's Insignia in order to craft an Ascended Yassith's Insignia so you haven't lost anything.

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Yassith%27s_Viper%27s_Insignia

I mean I would have crafted the breather as yassith directly instead of crafting it as berserker to change stats on mystic forge. So yes, I kinda lost the stats because now, I have a zerker aquabreather when I could have directly crafted yassith breather. In my case, I have to use a aquabreather zerker and I have a viper insignea on my bank because I didnt use it on MF to change stats/ Hopeffuly I will need that for something else.

Can't you use the Mystic Toilet to change the stats?

I know what you're saying, you should be able to craft them the way you want to in the first place.

It could be the breathers are becoming available for currency instead of crafting that the limitations occurs.

"If" we ever see an underwater-centric story, we'll probably see ascended aquabreather recipes.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> Can't you use the Mystic Toilet to change the stats?

>

No

> From the [Curated Issue Tracker](https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/231272908-Known-Issue-Tracker):

>

> > * **Items:** You can't use the Mystic Forge to change stats on Ascended aquabreathers

> > * **Status:** Investigating

> > * “Investigating” means we are aware of the issue, but haven’t yet found a fix for it.

Small nitpick: the mystic forge doesn't actually change the stats; it destroys the old item and replaces it with a new one (with the desired stats). Often, this is not meaningfully different. However, it matters if the item has runes/sigils, as those will be lost.

I am sure most people realize this and just use "change the stats" as a shorthand. However, I'm equally sure that there's at least a couple of people each week who learn this the hard way. Hopefully, pointing this out prevents a couple of people from losing a valuable infusion or upgrade.