Shade Obstruction Issue

• ArenaNet Staff

Greetings all,

I’ve been investigating the shade obstruction issue when able and have wanted to get it fixed for quite some time, but have been unable to do so for technical reasons… until recently.

Thanks largely to JoelH and BenA’s deeper peeks into Line of Sight checks I’ve been able to set things up so that as long as you’ve got line of sight to the shade itself, it can strike targets in its area, even if you don’t have vision of those targets.

This gamewide change will be going out alongside the PvP/WvW splits patch tomorrow, as that’ll be the first chance we have to get this to you.

See you in Tyria!

This is really something nice to hear.

So if you place a shade on one side of a wall, and run to the other side, it will obviously still get the obstructed.

But what if you place a shade on top of a hill, thats higher than your charakter?

_____♧____

.................. A

.....................A______ £

So ♧ is the shade and £ the player. Will the shade now hit players on top of that hill? Do i have to go away from the hill to get the angle for LoS? Do big charakters have better LoS than small ones (ok that would be rlly stupid)?

Obviously this situation is back to normal:

_________♧

.................. A

.....................A______ £

Placing a shade on top of the edge. But i rlly like to know the thing from above.

> @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

> Greetings all,

>

> I’ve been investigating the shade obstruction issue when able and have wanted to get it fixed for quite some time, but have been unable to do so for technical reasons… until recently.

>

> Thanks largely to JoelH and BenA’s deeper peeks into Line of Sight checks I’ve been able to set things up so that as long as you’ve got line of sight to the shade itself, it can strike targets in its area, even if you don’t have vision of those targets.

>

> This gamewide change will be going out alongside the PvP/WvW splits patch tomorrow, as that’ll be the first chance we have to get this to you.

>

> See you in Tyria!

Is this only for Scourges?

I was playing DH in WvW, and when trying to hit a Veteran camp Supervisor with Longbow AA, I was getting "Obstructed" when there was absolutely no obstruction between me and the veteran.

I feel like it's not just a Scourge issue (although more prominent for Scourges), but a game issue.

> @"nativity.3057" said:

> > @"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:

> > Greetings all,

> >

> > I’ve been investigating the shade obstruction issue when able and have wanted to get it fixed for quite some time, but have been unable to do so for technical reasons… until recently.

> >

> > Thanks largely to JoelH and BenA’s deeper peeks into Line of Sight checks I’ve been able to set things up so that as long as you’ve got line of sight to the shade itself, it can strike targets in its area, even if you don’t have vision of those targets.

> >

> > This gamewide change will be going out alongside the PvP/WvW splits patch tomorrow, as that’ll be the first chance we have to get this to you.

> >

> > See you in Tyria!

>

> Is this only for Scourges?

> I was playing DH in WvW, and when trying to hit a Veteran camp Supervisor with Longbow AA, I was getting "Obstructed" when there was absolutely no obstruction between me and the veteran.

>

> I feel like it's not just a Scourge issue (although more prominent for Scourges), but a game issue.

This has been an issue ever since tactivators was added I believe (or was it even before?) and yes it apply to all ranged. You are just blocked by invisible objects in camps.

> @"nativity.3057" said:

> > Greetings all,

> >

> > I’ve been investigating the shade obstruction issue when able and have wanted to get it fixed for quite some time, but have been unable to do so for technical reasons… until recently.

> >

> > Thanks largely to JoelH and BenA’s deeper peeks into Line of Sight checks I’ve been able to set things up so that as long as you’ve got line of sight to the shade itself, it can strike targets in its area, even if you don’t have vision of those targets.

> >

> > This gamewide change will be going out alongside the PvP/WvW splits patch tomorrow, as that’ll be the first chance we have to get this to you.

> >

> > See you in Tyria!

>

> Is this only for Scourges?

> I was playing DH in WvW, and when trying to hit a Veteran camp Supervisor with Longbow AA, I was getting "Obstructed" when there was absolutely no obstruction between me and the veteran.

>

> I feel like it's not just a Scourge issue (although more prominent for Scourges), but a game issue.

that is another bug. you cannot hit that npcs with target skills because of some invisible shield around them. but scourge obstruction issue was a LoS Problem.

> Greetings all,

>

> I’ve been investigating the shade obstruction issue when able and have wanted to get it fixed for quite some time, but have been unable to do so for technical reasons… until recently.

>

> Thanks largely to JoelH and BenA’s deeper peeks into Line of Sight checks I’ve been able to set things up so that as long as you’ve got line of sight to the shade itself, it can strike targets in its area, even if you don’t have vision of those targets.

>

> This gamewide change will be going out alongside the PvP/WvW splits patch tomorrow, as that’ll be the first chance we have to get this to you.

>

> See you in Tyria!

[Clip from Naru's stream on obstruction changes. He is rank 1 on the leaderboards and monthly winner.](https://clips.twitch.tv/MotionlessDeadInternBlargNaut)

> Greetings all,

>

>

>

>

> See you in Tyria!

will this only affect shades? Rangers have a lot of troubles with this type of bug

> @"Prophet.1584" said:

> > Greetings all,

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > See you in Tyria!

>

> will this only affect shades? Rangers have a lot of troubles with this type of bug

No they don't. The bug affects an aoe skill. Ranger barrage (an aoe) can hit atop the walls in wvw and over small hills or slight bumps in the road.

> @"LINKAZZATORE.8135" said:

> Since the patch the camera is an absolute mess right now https://imgur.com/a/oUQCM

> I guess this is related to the line of sight changes, but it's really impossible to play in lord rooms/near walls like this

yeah... everytime now you need to manually zoom in and is soo damn annoying.

Btw now can you do something for the F2-3 and the jump? jumping between the cast and the effect proc (that 1s delay) will not proc boon conversion/barrier

This absolutely horrible idea. Scourges are hugely overpowered already, get double attacks versus all other classes's singles. Scourge has totally overpowered WvW. This game is supposed to have BALANCED classes, yet you continue weaken older elites and normal and increase the new ones. there is no way a normal necro could ever compete against a Scourge, yet they should both be equal. People at ANET really need to get off their behinds and see the real WvW.

> @"Pagan Highlander.5948" said:

> This absolutely horrible idea. Scourges are hugely overpowered already, get double attacks versus all other classes's singles. Scourge has totally overpowered WvW. This game is supposed to have BALANCED classes, yet you continue weaken older elites and normal and increase the new ones. there is no way a normal necro could ever compete against a Scourge, yet they should both be equal. People at ANET really need to get off their behinds and see the real WvW.

There Is no way a normal necro could ever compete against any Class. Im glad we have a scourge. In PvE we are useless, So here Is some Space for US in wvw.