[Suggestion] Psychology of slow casting auto attacks. A slow casting auto attack stresses people!

Slow casting auto attacks stress people specially in WvW where the targets get killed fast before an auto attack can even finish. Meaning that you barely tag enemies with long auto attack casting times.

My suggestion is simple:

Decrease the cast time of all auto attacks greater than 0.5 sec to less than 0.5 seconds while keeping a constant damage. For example lets look at elementalist staff auto attacks:

* [Fireball](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fireball) has a cast time of 1 sec and an additional X time of travel to the target. If the target is far away, the skill becomes extremely long and extremely boring because it looks like you are attacking in slow motion.

So, to give the impression of fast attack I suggest reducing the cast time to 0.5 seconds or 0.25 sec; to keep the damage constant we simply use ratios:

1 sec / 404 = 0.5 sec / (X damage)

Solving for (X damage) we get: 202 damage

So, for a cast time of 0.5 sec, the damage should be reduce to 202 damage, this makes the skill faster while maintaining the same damage and giving faster game play.

If you do this, the game becomes more fluid, faster, and less stressful for the player.

I think Hitman has a point; for a game that's balanced around standardisation and eliminating class identity, classes with longer autos don't nessicarily have the same stopping power as a fast-hitting class. A good example is the thief sword vs the thief dagger - that extra 1/4 second aftercast on the sword auto compared to the dagger makes it feel unweildy, especially when you have to try staying on a moving target.

That being said, on most builds (and especially ele), if you're relying on your autoattack you're doing something wrong.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> I think Hitman has a point; for a game that's balanced around standardisation and eliminating class identity, classes with longer autos don't nessicarily have the same stopping power as a fast-hitting class. A good example is the thief sword vs the thief dagger - that extra 1/4 second aftercast on the sword auto compared to the dagger makes it feel unweildy, especially when you have to try staying on a moving target.

>

> That being said, on most builds (and especially ele), if you're relying on your autoattack you're doing something wrong.

Except that I don't think it's about getting rid of class identity, as much as it is getting rid of role identity, which are two very different things.

Compl> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> Stressful? Wut

I think anxious would be a better word, but I completely agree with OP. Regardless if it’s an auto attack, their is still that duration that feels way too slow and when you need it for tagging or rotation and you’re using it over a long period the clunkiness starts to weigh in on you.

This is a large reason why I want a Longbow for the next Ele spec wep. A faster and more direct long range wep for the class.

> @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> Compl> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > Stressful? Wut

>

> I think anxious would be a better word, but I completely agree with OP. Regardless if it’s an auto attack, their is still that duration that feels way too slow and when you need it for tagging or rotation and you’re using it over a long period the clunkiness starts to weigh in on you.

>

> This is a large reason why I want a Longbow for the next Ele spec wep. A faster and more direct long range wep for the class.

>

When I'm running where I need fast tags, I can simply turn on Fire, 2 is instant, if I tap twice, and 3 is the same. Both are AoE. A rotation that starts with the autoattack on an ele when solo is kinda bad, since it causes the mobs to start moving, and then your instacast 2 AoE hits where the mob used to be, instead of where it is.

> @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> > Compl> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > Stressful? Wut

> >

> > I think anxious would be a better word, but I completely agree with OP. Regardless if it’s an auto attack, their is still that duration that feels way too slow and when you need it for tagging or rotation and you’re using it over a long period the clunkiness starts to weigh in on you.

> >

> > This is a large reason why I want a Longbow for the next Ele spec wep. A faster and more direct long range wep for the class.

> >

>

> When I'm running where I need fast tags, I can simply turn on Fire, 2 is instant, if I tap twice, and 3 is the same. Both are AoE. A rotation that starts with the autoattack on an ele when solo is kinda bad, since it causes the mobs to start moving, and then your instacast 2 AoE hits where the mob used to be, instead of where it is.

Those skills have a cooldown and in a fast train you need something that can tag fast and consistent when they are on cooldown. Yes, that's why you don't start with an auto attack unless it's necessary.

> @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> > > Compl> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > Stressful? Wut

> > >

> > > I think anxious would be a better word, but I completely agree with OP. Regardless if it’s an auto attack, their is still that duration that feels way too slow and when you need it for tagging or rotation and you’re using it over a long period the clunkiness starts to weigh in on you.

> > >

> > > This is a large reason why I want a Longbow for the next Ele spec wep. A faster and more direct long range wep for the class.

> > >

> >

> > When I'm running where I need fast tags, I can simply turn on Fire, 2 is instant, if I tap twice, and 3 is the same. Both are AoE. A rotation that starts with the autoattack on an ele when solo is kinda bad, since it causes the mobs to start moving, and then your instacast 2 AoE hits where the mob used to be, instead of where it is.

>

> Those skills have a cooldown and in a fast train you need something that can tag fast and consistent when they are on cooldown. Yes, that's why you don't start with an auto attack unless it's necessary.

Yes, they do, and frankly, you don't have to use them at the same time, and it seems to me that they're both really short.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> I think Hitman has a point; for a game that's balanced around standardisation and eliminating class identity, classes with longer autos don't nessicarily have the same stopping power as a fast-hitting class. A good example is the thief sword vs the thief dagger - that extra 1/4 second aftercast on the sword auto compared to the dagger makes it feel unweildy, especially when you have to try staying on a moving target.

>

> That being said, on most builds (and especially ele), if you're relying on your autoattack you're doing something wrong.

I would agree ... IF there wasn't a choice of weapons. Sure, there are some classes that tend to have slower weapons but overall, the range of auto attack speeds in this game is reasonable, so no class NEEDS to rely on slow attack speed weapons if they don't want to.