Recreating Stunbreaks, Stability and Resistance

Mostly a wvw perspective but also I imagine it's spvp and pve related too. Sick of the cc chain fest that can happen even in the pve side of the game. Saw it with the caudecus release fight and also the scruffy 2.0 fight as 2 obnoxious examples. In wvw I see it when fighting holosmiths. Sometimes it just doesn't matter how many cc you evade, when that one hits, prepare for the cc fest even if you stun break timely. This ties in with condi in that once you eat one, prepare to get dumped on.

So my idea was to remove preemptive stability and resistance and put heavy emphasis on active cc break in place.

Stun breaks have been converted to cc breaks. Removes all hard cc including fear, taunt, immobilize, chill and cripple. ***Successful cc breaks*** grant immunity to these for,

Heavy Armor: 3 seconds

Medium Armor: 2 seconds

Light Armor: 1 second

As for balancing, heavy armor stun breaks have longer cool downs and costs while light armors having shorter. Medium being middle ground. Not a huge fan of chaining it to arbitrary armor weights that are in turn chained to classes but I didn't really have a better way of splitting it. You may be wondering what is longer or shorter, I was thinking 5sec for light armors to 10sec for heavy and 7sec for medium. Obviously some tailoring would be needed for the outlier cc breaks.

Also yes removal of all passive cc negate/retributive traits. Traits like last Stand I might consider a bonus attached to successful cc breaks rather than the current free stun negate. Mirror of anguish I would consider some thing like next cc causes both giver and receiver to be 1/4 sec daze instead.

Idk just my take on it.

> @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> Based on the armor type.

> Lol.

Ya there isn't a solid way to do it, idk maybe by class? It's a wierd thing.

Heavies

Guardian, warrior, engineer, necromancer

Mediums,

Ranger, mesmer, revenant

Lights,

Elementalist, thief

That's how I see the classes and so it's awkward basing it on armor weight and yet that's probaby the most ignored thing in gw2 combat. And at the same time if we don't acknowledge the armor weights in any way it will continue to be meaningless.

> @"Offair.2563" said:

> Diminishing returns on cc would be nice.

I don't believe in "getting hit by more cc should = cc resistance" type play as that just leads to facetanking from another direction. Nor do I believe in preemptive blanket cc protection that then in turn has a mechanic developed to counter that. I see people even asking counters for those counters which starts to get kind of wild and silly.

This is what happened with World of Warcraft (worst example ever I know) and Blizzard had to then go in and simplify everything to remove the counters of counters of counters. Which I think is an inevitable path for GW2.

I for one absolutely welcome it, a complete and total re-balance and redesign of all classes/elites and all associated traits and skills. Simplify the themes, simplify the mechanics, and then build on the game play from there.

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> Mostly a wvw perspective but also I imagine it's spvp and pve related too. Sick of the cc chain fest that can happen even in the pve side of the game. Saw it with the caudecus release fight and also the scruffy 2.0 fight as 2 obnoxious examples. In wvw I see it when fighting holosmiths. Sometimes it just doesn't matter how many cc you evade, when that one hits, prepare for the cc fest even if you stun break timely. This ties in with condi in that once you eat one, prepare to get dumped on.

>

> So my idea was to remove preemptive stability and resistance and put heavy emphasis on active cc break in place.

>

> Stun breaks have been converted to cc breaks. Removes all hard cc including fear, taunt, immobilize, chill and cripple. ***Successful cc breaks*** grant immunity to these for,

>

> Heavy Armor: 3 seconds

> Medium Armor: 2 seconds

> Light Armor: 1 second

>

The heavy armor classes already have some of the shortest CD on stunbreaks. Combined with your idea it would be easy to end up with near permanent immunity.

> As for balancing, heavy armor stun breaks have longer cool downs and costs while light armors having shorter. Medium being middle ground. Not a huge fan of chaining it to arbitrary armor weights that are in turn chained to classes but I didn't really have a better way of splitting it. You may be wondering what is longer or shorter, I was thinking 5sec for light armors to 10sec for heavy and 7sec for medium. Obviously some tailoring would be needed for the outlier cc breaks.

>

> Also yes removal of all passive cc negate/retributive traits. Traits like last Stand I might consider a bonus attached to successful cc breaks rather than the current free stun negate. Mirror of anguish I would consider some thing like next cc causes both giver and receiver to be 1/4 sec daze instead.

>

> Idk just my take on it.

That trait already exist https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eternal_Champion

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> So my idea was to remove preemptive stability and resistance and put heavy emphasis on active cc break in place.

>

> Stun breaks have been converted to cc breaks. Removes all hard cc including fear, taunt, immobilize, chill and cripple. ***Successful cc breaks*** grant immunity to these for,

>

> Heavy Armor: 3 seconds

> Medium Armor: 2 seconds

> Light Armor: 1 second

>

> As for balancing, heavy armor stun breaks have longer cool downs and costs while light armors having shorter. Medium being middle ground. Not a huge fan of chaining it to arbitrary armor weights that are in turn chained to classes but I didn't really have a better way of splitting it.

Why split the immunity and cooldown at all? What design goal are you trying to preserve?

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > So my idea was to remove preemptive stability and resistance and put heavy emphasis on active cc break in place.

> >

> > Stun breaks have been converted to cc breaks. Removes all hard cc including fear, taunt, immobilize, chill and cripple. ***Successful cc breaks*** grant immunity to these for,

> >

> > Heavy Armor: 3 seconds

> > Medium Armor: 2 seconds

> > Light Armor: 1 second

> >

> > As for balancing, heavy armor stun breaks have longer cool downs and costs while light armors having shorter. Medium being middle ground. Not a huge fan of chaining it to arbitrary armor weights that are in turn chained to classes but I didn't really have a better way of splitting it.

>

> Why split the immunity and cooldown at all? What design goal are you trying to preserve?

Heavies should still be Frontline.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > Mostly a wvw perspective but also I imagine it's spvp and pve related too. Sick of the cc chain fest that can happen even in the pve side of the game. Saw it with the caudecus release fight and also the scruffy 2.0 fight as 2 obnoxious examples. In wvw I see it when fighting holosmiths. Sometimes it just doesn't matter how many cc you evade, when that one hits, prepare for the cc fest even if you stun break timely. This ties in with condi in that once you eat one, prepare to get dumped on.

> >

> > So my idea was to remove preemptive stability and resistance and put heavy emphasis on active cc break in place.

> >

> > Stun breaks have been converted to cc breaks. Removes all hard cc including fear, taunt, immobilize, chill and cripple. ***Successful cc breaks*** grant immunity to these for,

> >

> > Heavy Armor: 3 seconds

> > Medium Armor: 2 seconds

> > Light Armor: 1 second

> >

>

> The heavy armor classes already have some of the shortest CD on stunbreaks. Combined with your idea it would be easy to end up with near permanent immunity.

>

> > As for balancing, heavy armor stun breaks have longer cool downs and costs while light armors having shorter. Medium being middle ground. Not a huge fan of chaining it to arbitrary armor weights that are in turn chained to classes but I didn't really have a better way of splitting it. You may be wondering what is longer or shorter, I was thinking 5sec for light armors to 10sec for heavy and 7sec for medium. Obviously some tailoring would be needed for the outlier cc breaks.

> >

> > Also yes removal of all passive cc negate/retributive traits. Traits like last Stand I might consider a bonus attached to successful cc breaks rather than the current free stun negate. Mirror of anguish I would consider some thing like next cc causes both giver and receiver to be 1/4 sec daze instead.

> >

> > Idk just my take on it.

>

> That trait already exist https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eternal_Champion

They would still need to be eating CC's to start with as they would only get the negation after breaking a cc.

> @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > The heavy armor classes already have some of the shortest CD on stunbreaks. Combined with your idea it would be easy to end up with near permanent immunity.

>

> Did you also noticed that the put the necromancer among the heavy classes?

I didn't pay attention to that since I assumed that anyone making a suggestion would have taken the time to learn something so basic first. Apparently engineer is also heavy ... ? =_=

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Shirlias.8104" said:

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > The heavy armor classes already have some of the shortest CD on stunbreaks. Combined with your idea it would be easy to end up with near permanent immunity.

> >

> > Did you also noticed that the put the necromancer among the heavy classes?

>

> I didn't pay attention to that since I assumed that anyone making a suggestion would have taken the time to learn something so basic first. Apparently engineer is also heavy ... ? =_=

Idk what you two are going on about tbh. I guess it's easier to pick at something that is easily adjusted than it is to find something of merit in an idea and run with it adding your own improvements. But sure let's just point out lol armor weights and dismiss the overarching idea of the op regarding the consolidation of stun breaks, stability and resistance.