is CPU important in gw2?

I recently moved from a GTX 960 to a 1060, benchmarks on my computer says it's almost 80% more performing in terms of fps but i can't see any difference in gw2.

I'm playing on a 1920x1080 Monitor and that's my build:

**Operating System**

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

**CPU**

Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz

Haswell 22nm Technology

**RAM**

16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)

**Motherboard**

ASRock H97 Performance (CPUSocket)

**Graphics**

Palit GeForce GTX 1060 Super JetStream, 6144 MB GDDR5

**Storage**

232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)

With this PC i can barelly touch 20fps in cities standing still while in combat, if the situation is not too crowded i can get 25.

During events and wvw zergs i'm lucky if i can move my character because fps becomes 1pm (1 per minute) lol

My question is.. could it be the CPU? it's 5years old and my rams are DDR3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> Being you stated 5 years old, when was the last time you looked at the CPU temp? When was the last time you pulled the CPU fan, cleaned it and refreshed the thermal paste?

>

> If the CPU runs hot, performance drops dramatically.

I clean the pc every 2 months and it never gets so dusty to lower the performances. Temperature of the single components ranges from 33 to 45 © that is more than optimal for an air based cooling system.

Excelsior.

To run the game best you'd need a Dual Core with 10 GHz rather than Quad/Hexa/Octa cores with less clock speeds, so basically the opposite of what would make sense.

Of course I am exaggerating there, but it's like that. With a Ryzen 7 1700X, nothing has changed here as well, and my cores and the corresponding threads are used like 10-30% despite I get unstable 40fps on FullHD. Here and there some FPS gaps are filled after my upgrade from a GTX970 to my GTX1080, but else, I am in the same boat as you. It's somewhat of a bummer. It almost feels like it's been written for DualCores...

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> Excelsior.

>

> To run the game best you'd need a Dual Core with 10 GHz rather than Quad/Hexa/Octa cores with less clock speeds, so basically the opposite of what would make sense.

> Of course I am exaggerating there, but it's like that. With a Ryzen 7 1700X, nothing has changed here as well, and my cores and the corresponding threads are used like 10-30% despite I get unstable 40fps on FullHD. Here and there some FPS gaps are filled after my upgrade from a GTX970 to my GTX1080, but else, I am in the same boat as you. It's somewhat of a bummer. It almost feels like it's been written for DualCores...

yeah that's crazy, my cpu is always at 40% usage, i fell bad at spending money on a better build while mine isn't even beig used at it's finest

> @"Vespero.6180" said:

>[...]

Owning an upgraded PC is never a bad thing, it's something very odd though. I've upgraded my (also 5 year old) PC from a i7-3770 to an Octacore because I am a hobby photograph/filmer and want to get a semi-professional 4K camcorder. So I spend 2,400€, everything's awesome and such, I start GW2: Nothing changes. Going into the options and turn off stuff feels bad after that investment...Every other game, even crappy console ports like Dishonored 2: All on Ultra..Easy peasy. Finally Physix on max, crazy particles all over the screen, maximum FoV, all up in every game. But then I gotta turn Anti Alias and Reflections off in a 6 year old game like Guildwars.. Meh... But I might check my RAM speed though, if that helps as someone suggested.

But your temperatures are amazing. I have a Dark Rock 3 here and 3 beQuiet case fans and I am around 35-40°C idle and 63°C under full (100%) load. A huge case with plenty of space, good airflow, high quality coolers but still 15°C over your system. Congratz on that!

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > @"Vespero.6180" said:

> >[...]

>

> Owning an upgraded PC is never a bad thing, it's something very odd though. I've upgraded my (also 5 year old) PC from a i7-3770 to an Octacore because I am a hobby photograph/filmer and want to get a semi-professional 4K camcorder. So I spend 2,400€, everything's awesome and such, I start GW2: Nothing changes. Going into the options and turn off stuff feels bad after that investment...Every other game, even crappy console ports like Dishonored 2: All on Ultra..Easy peasy. Finally Physix on max, crazy particles all over the screen, maximum FoV, all up in every game. But then I gotta turn Anti Alias and Reflections off in a 6 year old game like Guildwars.. Meh... But I might check my RAM speed though, if that helps as someone suggested.

>

> But your temperatures are amazing. I have a Dark Rock 3 here and 3 beQuiet case fans and I am around 35-40°C idle and 63°C under full (100%) load. A huge case with plenty of space, good airflow, high quality coolers but still 15°C over your system. Congratz on that!

>

>

>

>

Yep luckily I'm using my pc for amatorial renders and 3d modeling, that upgrade may help a lot there

I never paid much attention to the cooling system since it's the only part of my pc that never betrayed me lol

What I can say is that maybe local clime can make some difference.. in summer I may touch that 15% more since the air it takes in is hotter!

... Even black desert runs way more smooth than gw2, and it's way more graphic requiring haha i spent many hours in group content even there and i never had the problems i have in gw2 public events

Switching laptops, biggest impacts on GW2 was CPU and solid state drives. So many times will see people complaining about ANet servers and connection but at times I get download/upload speeds in the KB not MB and I mostly run smooth outside of bad dodges due to latency. Its an older game engine so less graphics card and more CPU. Didn't think the drives would impact it that much but as an example load in maps before others in voice by a significant amount when they have high speed internet pipes and I have cell phone access (broadband) at 1.5 bars of connection and 300-500KB speeds.

In all honesty. I think you should upgrade your intel, and ram, maybe motherboard. 4th gen i7? And 16 gig ram that runs at 799?

My graphics card is a radeon rx 560 and it’s doing wonders. But my cpu is a. Intel i5 7th gen 7500 quad. And ram is 16 gigs with 2400 ddr4. The game on a ssd 240 gigs. But I’m planning on getting the 8th gen i7.

You just need a little upgrade spark.

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> Excelsior.

>

> To run the game best you'd need a Dual Core with 10 GHz rather than Quad/Hexa/Octa cores with less clock speeds, so basically the opposite of what would make sense.

> Of course I am exaggerating there, but it's like that. With a Ryzen 7 1700X, nothing has changed here as well, and my cores and the corresponding threads are used like 10-30% despite I get unstable 40fps on FullHD. Here and there some FPS gaps are filled after my upgrade from a GTX970 to my GTX1080, but else, I am in the same boat as you. It's somewhat of a bummer. It almost feels like it's been written for DualCores...

Yeah, I run it on an i7 right now and was thinking about upgrading the whole box. The next step up would probably be a xeon.

This led to explaining to someone that I might not do the upgrade because it would 'only' have a xeon in it. Hoping they release a dual i7 (or i9?) version when the full box gets announced (a mac pro).

Ultimately, all your components matter. My old GPU failed under warranty, but the manufacturer decided they wouldn't fix or replace it, so I bought the "next best" model from a competitor. This one came overclocked at the factory and since then, without changing other components, I'm able to run at maximum settings and great or good FPS everywhere. The only concession I make is to (sometimes) reduce nameplate clutter and allow culling on number of nearby models.

If I could save/load profiles, I'd probably use standard enemy models more often in WvW, but even there, I still get good frame rates.

So you want a "fast enough" GPU paired with a "robust enough CPU" supported by a "speedy enough" hard drive.

Some games rely more on the CPU than GPU as each are good at different tasks, and what is needed to run games like GW2 is where a CPU shines. This also means your memory speed will have an impact on performance too. Your CPU is ~4 years old with low base and boost clock speeds, coupled with slow memory means you won't see much fps. Your CPU/Memory is also bottlenecking your GTX1060.

I got a 8 years old computer with all graphic settings set to minimum and with GW2 I'm ok in all situations.

Config

CPU Quasimodo

GPU Laurel & Hardy

RAM 16GB

For gw2 I make en exception but usually I simply stick with well written programs who

- cache results

- if appropriate, defer events handling so that only the last event will be processed in a game loop (ex :a faulty mouse triggering an UI event 1000 times per frame must be processed once)

- perform costly floating point operations only if absolutely needed

- are aware of memory fragmentation

- are aware of non aligned (non power of 2 memory blocks size) memory allocation time costs

- allocate from stack when possible and beneficial, and know how to make recursive functions that are non re-entrant

- use shared buffers (a new allocation is performed only if a dedicated buffer is not passed as a parmeter for succesive temp file datas)

- do not optimize too early so that maintenance remain easy

- do not display character models with more than 1 triangle when they are less than 5 pixels wide on screen because of the distance if we still need to know where they are

and so on

I know I have such a program when:

- While nothing of importance is happening, my resources monitor is showing me a nice, steady, slow, calm, low, easy beat

DX9 FTL

The game was designed to work on everyone's PC, and back then the most common DX was DX9 and single core CPUs.

Anet didnt want people to have to buy a new PC in order to play GW2 to help increase sales.

Like how many people here are using a PC with a DX9 GPU and single core CPU now?!

I would be surprised if the number is over 100.

By catering for the "back-then" anet have shot themselves in the foot in terms of upgradability, performance and optimisation.

And today we can see how badly it affects the game.

I tried running my computer at low settings, as I found FPS really suffered in the PoF areas, but the game looked so horrible that I decided I'd rather live at 20-30 FPS and enjoy my surroundings.

But yeah, in WvW zergs or open world champ fights I'm less than 100%, but for the most part have no troubles in dungeons / fractals, personal story or open world, so /shrug.

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> @Kururu.8140

>

> Sadly Anet prefers blind and spam skilsl with tons of shinny effects over performance.... ._. # no wonder ur getting 20fps

I have to disagree. WoW has more of a cartoony theme going on, but their spell effects etc are significantly more in number than Gw2, and I was able to easily play in a 25man raid on full settings with max FPS on the same rig.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > @Kururu.8140

> >

> > Sadly Anet prefers blind and spam skilsl with tons of shinny effects over performance.... ._. # no wonder ur getting 20fps

>

> I have to disagree. WoW has more of a cartoony theme going on, but their spell effects etc are significantly more in number than Gw2, and I was able to easily play in a 25man raid on full settings with max FPS on the same rig.

On this game with just 3-7 players spammking skills it becomes a brigh ligh where u wont see the toons or what skills are being casted.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/12054/gw2-combat-is-all-about-pay-attention-to-your-enemy#latest

and other thread

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/160198#Comment_160198

(last picture theres arround 5 of us)

And dont compare wow graphics with gw2... plz, dont even start.