Suggestion: Make jump dodge command more lenient.

I'm not asking for SAB Trib mode to be made easier. All I'm asking is for the jump dodge command to be a little more lenient in it's timing. I've died about 200 times to that stupid jumping rock in the middle of the lava in World 1 Zone 2 because the timing for the jump dodge command is so tight. I've completed W1Z1 and W1Z3 in trib mode enough times that I can have the coins I need from them, but I have yet to be able to complete W1Z2 in trib mode :(

Fact is Trib mode in SAB is just bad by design.. I would hazard a guess the person/people responsible for this fun, exiting challenge hasn't even played it through . To take a whole infinite coin to get through just a small part of a whole zone is just utter garbage and sucks the fun right out of the festival content imo. Sure it can be done.. eventually but then why put yourself through it all again.. just bad design and not just the jump/dodge reasoning either.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> You know what they say, practice makes perfect.

> Jump dodge is not required for anything though, let alone SAB.

So you can get through the unforgiving pair of jumping stones in W1/Z1 or the lava jump off the little stones each time, every time in W1/Z2 without dodge jump.. show some video proof of these feats of awesomesauce so we can kneel at your feet otherwise its all just yeah yeah yeah, cos dodge jump is real.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> Just put your thumb on V + Space and you can NEVER miss it again. I haven't failed it a single time since doing that

That doesn't work. I've tried pushing both dodge and jump at the same time, countless times, and it never does the dodge jump. The best I can see, the dodge jump is done when the dodge key is pressed slightly after the jump key. But I can't get the exact timing down.

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > You know what they say, practice makes perfect.

> > Jump dodge is not required for anything though, let alone SAB.

>

> So you can get through the unforgiving pair of jumping stones in W1/Z1 or the lava jump off the little stones each time, every time in W1/Z2 without dodge jump.. show some video proof of these feats of awesomesauce so we can kneel at your feet otherwise its all just yeah yeah yeah, cos dodge jump is real.

Not the point of what I posted. Fact is, if you practice it, you'll get it. I manage to dodge jump whenever I like, because I know my keybinds and know how to do it on my end.

Have you tried adjusting your keybinds? Personally, I'm using QWE for movement - my middle finger rests on W (forwards) while my thumb rests on spacebar (jump). Unless I cut off my index finger (not suggested), I will always have trouble reaching for W-V-SPACEBAR on demand.

My solution was to change dodge keybind to "D", which is nearabouts where my index finger wants to rest. This means whenever I want to dodgejump, I just have to angle my hand so my index and thumb hit the keys at the same time while I'm running forwards. Since Dodgejumping is a speedboost over regular running, I figure it's not a wasted keybind.

Milage may vary, but I think changing keybinds would work wonders for your reaction time.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > You know what they say, practice makes perfect.

> > > Jump dodge is not required for anything though, let alone SAB.

> >

> > So you can get through the unforgiving pair of jumping stones in W1/Z1 or the lava jump off the little stones each time, every time in W1/Z2 without dodge jump.. show some video proof of these feats of awesomesauce so we can kneel at your feet otherwise its all just yeah yeah yeah, cos dodge jump is real.

>

> Not the point of what I posted. Fact is, if you practice it, you'll get it. I manage to dodge jump whenever I like, because I know my keybinds and know how to do it on my end.

I can dodge jump just fine and have done them.. and yes practice does help.. but no content should require a whole continue coins worth of attempts you just get past one small element of a whole zone and that is the issue.. making blasé comments that its not needed are in no way true of SAB trib content.. its pretty much the only way you will get past certain parts unless you set up a few macro's to overcome human reaction speeds, latency and garbage content design.. but I digress

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> Have you tried adjusting your keybinds? Personally, I'm using QWE for movement - my middle finger rests on W (forwards) while my thumb rests on spacebar (jump). Unless I cut off my index finger (not suggested), I will always have trouble reaching for W-V-SPACEBAR on demand.

>

> My solution was to change dodge keybind to "D", which is nearabouts where my index finger wants to rest. This means whenever I want to dodgejump, I just have to angle my hand so my index and thumb hit the keys at the same time while I'm running forwards. Since Dodge jumping is a speedboost over regular running, I figure it's not a wasted keybind.

>

> Milage may vary, but I think changing keybinds would work wonders for your reaction time.

I have my keybinds set to how I do it best and have done them, that is not the point.. not everyone for a whole lot of reasons will be able to overcome these specific points in the trib content and not just because of their reaction speeds. Looking at GW2 efficiency kinda makes that clear when only a small % are getting it done of that I would put money on it that a number are using other less legit tools to bypass "skill" but that's ANET's problem. There are too many factors than can influence the hit and miss nature of those specific points that keybinding doesn't eliminate - add to that the fall through floors without warning and unseen spike traps you need to memorise .. everywhere until you have an idea of a path, which is fine on its own but when added to the crux points in the run that when failed mean you gotta go all the way back and keep redoing them.. it kills interest I would bet for a lot of players and they just simply don't go back.. especially as the reward for so much time and effort is painfully lacking as well.. but that's just another reason for not even bothering with Trib once you have been there done that.

Lets see the developers run their ideas of fun challenging content on livestream using nothing more than a desktop pc and without their development tools on hand.. lets see them get through it 10 times in 99 lives and then I will bow to them.. cos 10% pass rate is way more than what the average player will see by far.

It would be nice if it was a little more forgiving. I've been practicing and I still can only get it about 1/10th of the time. As it is I'm glad it's so rarely needed since it feels so inconsistent to pull off. I think if more people actually knew it was something you were supposed to be able to do, there'd be more people asking for a change. I'd wager most people don't even know dodge jump exists. Maybe they've done one by accident, and briefly wondered about their weird long jump, but couldn't recreate it and thought it was a fluke. The timing's not easy to get down making it tricky to pull off, and there's no indication in-game that it's even possible. Most places outside SAB where you might need it, you can usually get by with swiftness to extend your jumps a bit.

> > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > Have you tried adjusting your keybinds? Personally, I'm using QWE for movement - my middle finger rests on W (forwards) while my thumb rests on spacebar (jump). Unless I cut off my index finger (not suggested), I will always have trouble reaching for W-V-SPACEBAR on demand.

> >

> > My solution was to change dodge keybind to "D", which is nearabouts where my index finger wants to rest. This means whenever I want to dodgejump, I just have to angle my hand so my index and thumb hit the keys at the same time while I'm running forwards. Since Dodge jumping is a speedboost over regular running, I figure it's not a wasted keybind.

> >

> > Milage may vary, but I think changing keybinds would work wonders for your reaction time.

>

> I have my keybinds set to how I do it best and have done them, that is not the point.. not everyone for a whole lot of reasons will be able to overcome these specific points in the trib content and not just because of their reaction speeds. Looking at GW2 efficiency kinda makes that clear when only a small % are getting it done of that I would put money on it that a number are using other less legit tools to bypass "skill" but that's ANET's problem. There are too many factors than can influence the hit and miss nature of those specific points that keybinding doesn't eliminate - add to that the fall through floors without warning and unseen spike traps you need to memorise .. everywhere until you have an idea of a path, which is fine on its own but when added to the crux points in the run that when failed mean you gotta go all the way back and keep redoing them.. it kills interest I would bet for a lot of players and they just simply don't go back.. especially as the reward for so much time and effort is painfully lacking as well.. but that's just another reason for not even bothering with Trib once you have been there done that.

>

> Lets see the developers run their ideas of fun challenging content on livestream using nothing more than a desktop pc and without their development tools on hand.. lets see them get through it 10 times in 99 lives and then I will bow to them.. cos 10% pass rate is way more than what the average player will see by far.

I'm sorry, but if people don't like repeated deaths I think they should be encouraged to play normal or infantile modes. I don't have the best ping, and I certainly don't have the best reflexes, but I can do this content with moderate hassle - and, frankly, with a name like "tribulation mode", I feel "moderate hassle" puts it in a good place.

Difficulty will always put off some players, and players will always find some way to cheat. But this doesn't mean Anet should disregard the players who enjoy the honest challenge. I know they exist, because I was one of them.

The thing about dodge-jump is that it's a bug that has been re-labled as a feature. Usually jumping should prevent you from dodging and vice-versa. However pressing both keys at the same time initiates both actions before you're locked out of the other action. My guess is that ANet left it in the game because it requires some skill to pull off and barely gives any advantages. However don't expect any official support like a longer timeframe let alone a dedicated hotkey.

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > You know what they say, practice makes perfect.

> > Jump dodge is not required for anything though, let alone SAB.

>

> So you can get through the unforgiving pair of jumping stones in W1/Z1 or the lava jump off the little stones each time, every time in W1/Z2 without dodge jump.. show some video proof of these feats of awesomesauce so we can kneel at your feet otherwise its all just yeah yeah yeah, cos dodge jump is real.

> Fact is Trib mode in SAB is just bad by design.. I would hazard a guess the person/people responsible for this fun, exiting challenge hasn't even played it through . To take a whole infinite coin to get through just a small part of a whole zone is just utter garbage and sucks the fun right out of the festival content imo. Sure it can be done.. eventually but then why put yourself through it all again.. just bad design and not just the jump/dodge reasoning either.

Uh... You do realize what an homage is right ?

Like have you ever played I Want to be the Guy or Cat Mario ? If you have then you'd understand that the it's entirely playable and can be beaten, the point is to put in time and get good so that you don't die to the pratfalls.

> Fact is Trib mode in SAB is just bad by design.. I would hazard a guess the person/people responsible for this fun, exiting challenge hasn't even played it through . To take a whole infinite coin to get through just a small part of a whole zone is just utter garbage and sucks the fun right out of the festival content imo. Sure it can be done.. eventually but then why put yourself through it all again.. just bad design and not just the jump/dodge reasoning either.

I just did the entirety of W2-2 in around 44 lives, and W2-3 in just under 10 lives. Practice really does make perfect. ( For reference, I used over 200 lives on each of those levels the first time through) Sure, some things are a bit wonky, like platforms being slightly larger than they appear, and those trampoline physics... but it's all perfectly doable in a reasonable amount of time if you actually practice.

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > Fact is Trib mode in SAB is just bad by design.. I would hazard a guess the person/people responsible for this fun, exiting challenge hasn't even played it through . To take a whole infinite coin to get through just a small part of a whole zone is just utter garbage and sucks the fun right out of the festival content imo. Sure it can be done.. eventually but then why put yourself through it all again.. just bad design and not just the jump/dodge reasoning either.

>

> Uh... You do realize what an homage is right ?

> Like have you ever played I Want to be the Guy or Cat Mario ? If you have then you'd understand that the it's entirely playable and can be beaten, the point is to put in time and get good so that you don't die to the pratfalls.

You do realize I Want To Be The Guy is an homage to bad game design right?

i died 20k times in 1 week when tribulation mode first introduced. and at that time, you can not see any traps each time you hv to repeat it. when SAB ended, ... i couldn't walk without cautious in normal tyria map.... when i see a keg.. i feel it will explode, dare not walk near any structure..

> @"Deathanizer.3716" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > Fact is Trib mode in SAB is just bad by design.. I would hazard a guess the person/people responsible for this fun, exiting challenge hasn't even played it through . To take a whole infinite coin to get through just a small part of a whole zone is just utter garbage and sucks the fun right out of the festival content imo. Sure it can be done.. eventually but then why put yourself through it all again.. just bad design and not just the jump/dodge reasoning either.

> >

> > Uh... You do realize what an homage is right ?

> > Like have you ever played I Want to be the Guy or Cat Mario ? If you have then you'd understand that the it's entirely playable and can be beaten, the point is to put in time and get good so that you don't die to the pratfalls.

>

> You do realize I Want To Be The Guy is an homage to bad game design right?

It's actually not an homage to bad design, its a deconstruction of the platforming genre.

Just because you do not like platformers doesn't make it bad design.

> @"Talindra.4958" said:

> i died 20k times in 1 week when tribulation mode first introduced. and at that time, you can not see any traps each time you hv to repeat it. when SAB ended, ... i couldn't walk without cautious in normal tyria map.... when i see a keg.. i feel it will explode, dare not walk near any structure..

Lols

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > Fact is Trib mode in SAB is just bad by design.. I would hazard a guess the person/people responsible for this fun, exiting challenge hasn't even played it through . To take a whole infinite coin to get through just a small part of a whole zone is just utter garbage and sucks the fun right out of the festival content imo. Sure it can be done.. eventually but then why put yourself through it all again.. just bad design and not just the jump/dodge reasoning either.

>

> Uh... You do realize what an homage is right ?

> Like have you ever played I Want to be the Guy or Cat Mario ? If you have then you'd understand that the it's entirely playable and can be beaten, the point is to put in time and get good so that you don't die to the pratfalls.

I know it can be done.. i've done it.. but that was not the point.. the point is the average player without hax will struggle to make it even once in a 100 let alone anywhere near 10% repeatability and that is just totally bad by design and sucks the fun out of the whole thing.

No average player is wanting to spend hours and hours trying to get through what amounts to a few jumps in a whole chunk of content and then find they get next to nothing for their efforts.

It is nothing more than a gem store pull for the continue coin plain and simple and is totally emersion breaking garbage design.. thankfully I wont be going back to waste more time with trib mode, in fact the like with previous SAB seasons.. I loose interest in it way to fast. Every other special event has so much more fun and repeat value to me, but hey I guess we're all different when it comes to what floats our boats.

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > Fact is Trib mode in SAB is just bad by design.. I would hazard a guess the person/people responsible for this fun, exiting challenge hasn't even played it through . To take a whole infinite coin to get through just a small part of a whole zone is just utter garbage and sucks the fun right out of the festival content imo. Sure it can be done.. eventually but then why put yourself through it all again.. just bad design and not just the jump/dodge reasoning either.

> >

> > Uh... You do realize what an homage is right ?

> > Like have you ever played I Want to be the Guy or Cat Mario ? If you have then you'd understand that the it's entirely playable and can be beaten, the point is to put in time and get good so that you don't die to the pratfalls.

>

> I know it can be done.. i've done it.. but that was not the point.. the point is the average player without hax will struggle to make it even once in a 100 let alone anywhere near 10% repeatability and that is just totally bad by design and sucks the fun out of the whole thing.

> No average player is wanting to spend hours and hours trying to get through what amounts to a few jumps in a whole chunk of content and then find they get next to nothing for their efforts.

> It is nothing more than a gem store pull for the continue coin plain and simple and is totally emersion breaking garbage design.. thankfully I wont be going back to waste more time with trib mode, in fact the like with previous SAB seasons.. I loose interest in it way to fast. Every other special event has so much more fun and repeat value to me, but hey I guess we're all different when it comes to what floats our boats.

Why is designing something which is not for the avarage player be bad gamedesign??

> I know it can be done.. i've done it.. but that was not the point.. the point is the average player without hax will struggle to make it even once in a 100 let alone anywhere near 10% repeatability and that is just totally bad by design and sucks the fun out of the whole thing.

No one needs to "hax". Trib mode is entirely player skill and memory based.

> No average player is wanting to spend hours and hours trying to get through what amounts to a few jumps in a whole chunk of content and then find they get next to nothing for their efforts.

What you mean to say is, "You dont want to spend the time". Plenty of others can and have put in the time and had a blast doing so because there's literally 0 downside to doing so. Also, they get plenty, several skins, tokens and aura's.

> It is nothing more than a gem store pull for the continue coin plain and simple and is totally emersion breaking garbage design.. thankfully I wont be going back to waste more time with trib mode, in fact the like with previous SAB seasons.. I loose interest in it way to fast. Every other special event has so much more fun and repeat value to me, but hey I guess we're all different when it comes to what floats our boats.

Or it's an homage pure and simple. Not everything is some grand evil overlord marketing scheme. Immersion breaking is the weakest of arguments you could possibly make...there's far worse in this game from just a weapon standpoint that breaks Immersion than a toy designed to teach asura's that has been adopted into a combat simulation device in the living story.

And here we get to the crux of it. It's just not for you.