Buying skin only for gathering tools

Over time I've purchased various unlimited harvesting tools for all my characters. I have a variety of sickles and axes, however for most of my characters I always bought the watchwork mining pick. Thus now with the update to harvesting tools (which is wonderful), my wardrobe has a few choices for sickles and axes, but not much to choose from for mining picks. I don't really want to spend 1000 gems for a mining pick just to unlock the skin, since I don't need any more unlimited tools. Would you all speculate that harvesting tool skins may soon be an option in the gem store?

> @"Manpag.6421" said:

> I don't know whether they'll sell just the skins, but I am now wondering whether the skins have been added to the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock yet – because if not, they need to be.

You can always preview what's offered in any of the Guaranteed Wardrobe/Armor/Weapon Unlocks. This allows one to always know what's on offer.

Good luck.

> @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> Over time I've purchased various unlimited harvesting tools for all my characters. I have a variety of sickles and axes, however for most of my characters I always bought the watchwork mining pick. Thus now with the update to harvesting tools (which is wonderful), my wardrobe has a few choices for sickles and axes, but not much to choose from for mining picks. I don't really want to spend 1000 gems for a mining pick just to unlock the skin, since I don't need any more unlimited tools. Would you all speculate that harvesting tool skins may soon be an option in the gem store?

Harvesting tool skins are already an option for the gem shop, just like any other skin: buy the item that unlocks it.

What you're really asking is for ANet to discount the price of skins because they made the system more convenient.

I do think that they will eventually update the Gem Store to have a skin and tool version of the gathering tools. It just makes sense to split them because you'll wind up selling more gems that way. Someone who has enough tools but wants the new skins is unlikely to spend 1000 gems, but probably would drop 300-500 gems. By lowering the price (offering the skin only option) you increase the number of potential buyers by enough to offset the lower price.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Harvesting tool skins are already an option for the gem shop, just like any other skin: buy the item that unlocks it.

>

> What you're really asking is for ANet to discount the price of skins because they made the system more convenient.

Correct. 1000 gems is their established price for an unlimited tool and unique skin. Now that the tool and the skin can be split up, I'd like to buy just the skin (for a lower price). If I bought another unlimited tool, I would have no use for it since all my characters already have unlimited tools. I'd feel like I was wasting money, and that's what prevents me from spending money on a new unlimited tool just to unlock the skin.

I'm in a very similar situation - I don't want to buy any more unlimited tools, or spend 1,000 gems just for a skin - but if it was possible to buy the skin separately for a proportionate amount I'd buy some.

I'm hoping this is something Anet are planning to add as a follow-up to this update.

> @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > Harvesting tool skins are already an option for the gem shop, just like any other skin: buy the item that unlocks it.

> >

> > What you're really asking is for ANet to discount the price of skins because they made the system more convenient.

>

> I'd feel like I was wasting money, and that's what prevents me from spending money on a new unlimited tool just to unlock the skin.

That isn't a very strong argument in favor of changing the prices. In effect, it says, "ANet thanks for giving us this fashion wars option, without additional cost. But now, charge us less in the gem shop to unlock skins."

I don't mean to say that it's unreasonable to _feel_ like the price is too high. I, too, have been psychologically anchored to 1000 gems for skin + unlimited uses. I'd also prefer a lower price.

However, I recognize that's me just looking out for my own self-interest. It might not be best for the long-term health of the game for ANet to lower prices on items whenever they release an improvement that affects the utility of those items.

> > @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > Harvesting tool skins are already an option for the gem shop, just like any other skin: buy the item that unlocks it.

> > >

> > > What you're really asking is for ANet to discount the price of skins because they made the system more convenient.

> >

> > I'd feel like I was wasting money, and that's what prevents me from spending money on a new unlimited tool just to unlock the skin.

> That isn't a very strong argument in favor of changing the prices. In effect, it says, "ANet thanks for giving us this fashion wars option, without additional cost. But now, charge us less in the gem shop to unlock skins."

>

> I don't mean to say that it's unreasonable to _feel_ like the price is too high. I, too, have been psychologically anchored to 1000 gems for skin + unlimited uses. I'd also prefer a lower price.

>

> However, I recognize that's me just looking out for my own self-interest. It might not be best for the long-term health of the game for ANet to lower prices on items whenever they release an improvement that affects the utility of those items.

>

If there are 10 people willing to spend 1,000 gems then you get 10,000 gems.

If, however, there are 100 people willing to spend 500 gems then you get 50,000 gems.

Selecting appropriate price points is a critical task in any business, and one that ArenaNet would be well advised to consider in this case.

> > @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> > Over time I've purchased various unlimited harvesting tools for all my characters. I have a variety of sickles and axes, however for most of my characters I always bought the watchwork mining pick. Thus now with the update to harvesting tools (which is wonderful), my wardrobe has a few choices for sickles and axes, but not much to choose from for mining picks. I don't really want to spend 1000 gems for a mining pick just to unlock the skin, since I don't need any more unlimited tools. Would you all speculate that harvesting tool skins may soon be an option in the gem store?

>

> Harvesting tool skins are already an option for the gem shop, just like any other skin: buy the item that unlocks it.

>

> What you're really asking is for ANet to discount the price of skins because they made the system more convenient.

No, you are buying a blank unlimited tool, a skin, and sometimes a glyph .... all of those bundled then usually (but not always) all 3 tools bundled. Since they sell unskinned tools we know they are, what, 800 gems each? I think when we got the free glyph it said the normal price was 250 (or was it 185). Give a bit for a discount and I would guess a skin itself (note that it is not with a tool or glyph) would be around 250 as well.

Note that this is not the same as buying the tool from the gem shop. With the latter you get the skin, yes, but you also get the tool and the glyph.