Account suspension discussion [merged]

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > Too bad spyware is just a term used for all kinds of stuff and does not have an "legal definition", nor is there any law that would allow anyone prosecute someone for "spyware"

>

> ...and there is the issue.

> A self admitted hack tool user, one who was caught by the ban wave himself, does a little investigation and labels an API call "spyware" in order to cast shade on A-Net because he is salty about having his account suspended. That person then posts to reddit with an inflammatory clickbait title to whip up the circular jerk that is the sub.

> The rest of the cheaters rally around this.

> When in fact the API call in question is not fundamentally any different than any anti-cheat mechanism.

>

>

> Andwe are supposed to believe that this guy only used the tool for botting other games (never GW2 of course)?

> And this highly literate computer user "just happened to leave CE open" while playing GW2 but of course he was never using it?

> And this guy somehow, miraculously had old binaries from patches in march just hanging out on his local drives?

>

> I'm not saying that what he posted about the processes isn't true. I'm saying if you have played more than 10 video games in the past 10 years, you've had this information called upon often. But the writer is someone who cheats, was caught, and is now throwing shade by using the word "spyware" just to scare people.

>

> And if you look at this thread, it's working. Thanks in part to a small number of other cheaters who are running with the meme because they have nothing to lose.

The hack tool guy is the CTO at Emisoft an award winning anti virus company

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > > Too bad spyware is just a term used for all kinds of stuff and does not have an "legal definition", nor is there any law that would allow anyone prosecute someone for "spyware"

> >

> > ...and there is the issue.

> > A self admitted hack tool user, one who was caught by the ban wave himself, does a little investigation and labels an API call "spyware" in order to cast shade on A-Net because he is salty about having his account suspended. That person then posts to reddit with an inflammatory clickbait title to whip up the circular jerk that is the sub.

> > The rest of the cheaters rally around this.

> > When in fact the API call in question is not fundamentally any different than any anti-cheat mechanism.

> >

> >

> > Andwe are supposed to believe that this guy only used the tool for botting other games (never GW2 of course)?

> > And this highly literate computer user "just happened to leave CE open" while playing GW2 but of course he was never using it?

> > And this guy somehow, miraculously had old binaries from patches in march just hanging out on his local drives?

> >

> > I'm not saying that what he posted about the processes isn't true. I'm saying if you have played more than 10 video games in the past 10 years, you've had this information called upon often. But the writer is someone who cheats, was caught, and is now throwing shade by using the word "spyware" just to scare people.

> >

> > And if you look at this thread, it's working. Thanks in part to a small number of other cheaters who are running with the meme because they have nothing to lose.

>

> The hack tool guy is the CTO at Emisoft an award winning anti virus company

That changes absolutely nothing.

This intrusive search by Anet was a violation of ALL of our (US residents) 4th Amendment rights. Period. Unless and until there was a REASON to search our computers Anet had no right to do so. Treating us as guilty until they can prove otherwise is ILLEGAL and appalling.

My husband and I came back to GW2 because the other game we had tried out was diddling with our computers.... o.O We thought Anet was better than that...

~~I'm not happy with this at all...

> > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > > > Too bad spyware is just a term used for all kinds of stuff and does not have an "legal definition", nor is there any law that would allow anyone prosecute someone for "spyware"

> > >

> > > ...and there is the issue.

> > > A self admitted hack tool user, one who was caught by the ban wave himself, does a little investigation and labels an API call "spyware" in order to cast shade on A-Net because he is salty about having his account suspended. That person then posts to reddit with an inflammatory clickbait title to whip up the circular jerk that is the sub.

> > > The rest of the cheaters rally around this.

> > > When in fact the API call in question is not fundamentally any different than any anti-cheat mechanism.

> > >

> > >

> > > Andwe are supposed to believe that this guy only used the tool for botting other games (never GW2 of course)?

> > > And this highly literate computer user "just happened to leave CE open" while playing GW2 but of course he was never using it?

> > > And this guy somehow, miraculously had old binaries from patches in march just hanging out on his local drives?

> > >

> > > I'm not saying that what he posted about the processes isn't true. I'm saying if you have played more than 10 video games in the past 10 years, you've had this information called upon often. But the writer is someone who cheats, was caught, and is now throwing shade by using the word "spyware" just to scare people.

> > >

> > > And if you look at this thread, it's working. Thanks in part to a small number of other cheaters who are running with the meme because they have nothing to lose.

> >

> > The hack tool guy is the CTO at Emisoft an award winning anti virus company

>

> That changes absolutely nothing.

Its more valuable than anything you can say about the matter. So don't be bothered > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > Too bad spyware is just a term used for all kinds of stuff and does not have an "legal definition", nor is there any law that would allow anyone prosecute someone for "spyware"

>

> ...and there is the issue.

> A self admitted hack tool user, one who was caught by the ban wave himself, does a little investigation and labels an API call "spyware" in order to cast shade on A-Net because he is salty about having his account suspended. That person then posts to reddit with an inflammatory clickbait title to whip up the circular jerk that is the sub.

> The rest of the cheaters rally around this.

> When in fact the API call in question is not fundamentally any different than any anti-cheat mechanism.

>

>

> Andwe are supposed to believe that this guy only used the tool for botting other games (never GW2 of course)?

> And this highly literate computer user "just happened to leave CE open" while playing GW2 but of course he was never using it?

> And this guy somehow, miraculously had old binaries from patches in march just hanging out on his local drives?

>

> I'm not saying that what he posted about the processes isn't true. I'm saying if you have played more than 10 video games in the past 10 years, you've had this information called upon often. But the writer is someone who cheats, was caught, and is now throwing shade by using the word "spyware" just to scare people.

>

> And if you look at this thread, it's working. Thanks in part to a small number of other cheaters who are running with the meme because they have nothing to lose.

Absolutely disgusting use of ad hominem to devalue the work he did and outed Anet's horrendous ethics. Just because he is banned does not make his argument any less true or valid.

He works for a respected anti virus company. Your knowledge of computers and hacking is irrelevant and negligible in comparison to his. And he shows, with very good evidence, that what Anet did was more intrusive than anything we have encountered so far. Its true, whether you like it or not.

The guy is a security researcher -- he analyzes malware for a living. In particular, he's known for his work with ransomware and making free decryptors that can help victims of ransomware recover their files without paying a ransom. CE is an extremely useful tool for analyzing software, beyond just the "memory editing" that most people associate with it, it isn't much of a stretch that he would have CE open for work stuff, and then logs into GW2 to complete the dailies. ANet's definition of "significant time" is questionable -- from the sound of it, significant time could be the percentage of gameplay hours spent with one of the banned programs opened, which if it is 3-4 minutes of play time total, results in a ratio of 100%.

He has access to a VirusTotal Intelligence subscription, which allows downloading samples from virustotal.com; GW2 has enough players that someone is bound to upload most patches to VirusTotal to have them scanned.

> @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> Not only it was intrusive, they took action without having evidence of actual cheating in their game. It doesn't get any worse than this.

Convicting based on circumstantial evidence is nowhere near as bad as it could be. I am very unhappy with this situation, but I think you might be exaggerating the severity.

> @"starhunter.6015" said:

> > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > To consider cheat engine to be cheating, they need to make sure cheat engine is actually attached to gw2 which they cannot prove it since all they did was gathering the list of processes running, they have no basic detection on hook and such.

>

> Don't run a cheat engine while playing a MMO, unless you're cheating. Kinda simple right ?

So far, I have yet seen anyone use cheat engine for mmo. Furthermore, I really doubt that a lot of people know how to use cheat engine for mmo either nor is there publicly available cheat tables for mmo (or gw2 specifically) and that is also because cheat engine officially do not support mutiplayer hacking.

Simply put, most people use cheat engine for single player games and if anyone that do use cheat engine to hack multiplayer game would run a modified version of cheat engine that will hide itself from scanners.

> @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

> >

> > Why shouldn't it be good enough reason? How many people realistically play an MMO and have a cheat engine running in the background, but aren't cheating? None.

>

> A big proportion of people, I guarantee nearly everyone with a decent computer has alt tabbed out of this game or another one and completely forget they had it open, I know i have done this multiple times.

>

> > If you have to be told not run a a cheat program while playing an MMO, then there's nothing more to say.

>

> It's not just a cheat program though, it can be used with emulators like CEMU to change the locked FPS and other legitimate settings.

>

>

Completely missed my point. I didn't say that people don't alt-tab out of GW2 and forget its running, and I have no idea how you got that out of my comment.

Answer the actual question. How many people run cheat programs but don't use them to cheat? None.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> > Not only it was intrusive, they took action without having evidence of actual cheating in their game. It doesn't get any worse than this.

>

> Convicting based on circumstantial evidence is nowhere near as bad as it could be. I am very unhappy with this situation, but I think you might be exaggerating the severity.

I mean in the context. As far as disrespecting the costumers go in this time and age, this is pretty severe.

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

> > >

> > > Why shouldn't it be good enough reason? How many people realistically play an MMO and have a cheat engine running in the background, but aren't cheating? None.

> >

> > A big proportion of people, I guarantee nearly everyone with a decent computer has alt tabbed out of this game or another one and completely forget they had it open, I know i have done this multiple times.

> >

> > > If you have to be told not run a a cheat program while playing an MMO, then there's nothing more to say.

> >

> > It's not just a cheat program though, it can be used with emulators like CEMU to change the locked FPS and other legitimate settings.

> >

> >

>

> Completely missed my point. I didn't say that people don't alt-tab out of GW2 and forget its running, and I have no idea how you got that out of my comment.

>

> Answer the actual question. How many people run anti-cheat programs but don't use them to cheat? None.

Can players even have anti-cheat programs? And, if they could, how would one use anti-cheat software to cheat?

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

> > > >

> > > > Why shouldn't it be good enough reason? How many people realistically play an MMO and have a cheat engine running in the background, but aren't cheating? None.

> > >

> > > A big proportion of people, I guarantee nearly everyone with a decent computer has alt tabbed out of this game or another one and completely forget they had it open, I know i have done this multiple times.

> > >

> > > > If you have to be told not run a a cheat program while playing an MMO, then there's nothing more to say.

> > >

> > > It's not just a cheat program though, it can be used with emulators like CEMU to change the locked FPS and other legitimate settings.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Completely missed my point. I didn't say that people don't alt-tab out of GW2 and forget its running, and I have no idea how you got that out of my comment.

> >

> > Answer the actual question. How many people run anti-cheat programs but don't use them to cheat? None.

>

> Can players even have anti-cheat programs? And, if they could, how would one use anti-cheat software to cheat?

fixed my typo

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why shouldn't it be good enough reason? How many people realistically play an MMO and have a cheat engine running in the background, but aren't cheating? None.

> > > >

> > > > A big proportion of people, I guarantee nearly everyone with a decent computer has alt tabbed out of this game or another one and completely forget they had it open, I know i have done this multiple times.

> > > >

> > > > > If you have to be told not run a a cheat program while playing an MMO, then there's nothing more to say.

> > > >

> > > > It's not just a cheat program though, it can be used with emulators like CEMU to change the locked FPS and other legitimate settings.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Completely missed my point. I didn't say that people don't alt-tab out of GW2 and forget its running, and I have no idea how you got that out of my comment.

> > >

> > > Answer the actual question. How many people run anti-cheat programs but don't use them to cheat? None.

> >

> > Can players even have anti-cheat programs? And, if they could, how would one use anti-cheat software to cheat?

>

> fixed my typo

Oh, sorry. You had me lost there.

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

> > >

> > > Why shouldn't it be good enough reason? How many people realistically play an MMO and have a cheat engine running in the background, but aren't cheating? None.

> >

> > A big proportion of people, I guarantee nearly everyone with a decent computer has alt tabbed out of this game or another one and completely forget they had it open, I know i have done this multiple times.

> >

> > > If you have to be told not run a a cheat program while playing an MMO, then there's nothing more to say.

> >

> > It's not just a cheat program though, it can be used with emulators like CEMU to change the locked FPS and other legitimate settings.

> >

> >

>

> Completely missed my point. I didn't say that people don't alt-tab out of GW2 and forget its running, and I have no idea how you got that out of my comment.

>

> Answer the actual question. How many people run anti-cheat programs but don't use them to cheat? None.

I thought i answered it pretty well and it looks like you agreed with the example i gave.

Not sure why you agree that people can alt tab out of games and forget they are running but not do the same with cheat engine. It's a very simple unobtrusive GUI and uses virtually no resources when not in use, very easy to minimise it and forget it was running like i have done and i am sure others have done plenty of times.

> @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

> > > >

> > > > Why shouldn't it be good enough reason? How many people realistically play an MMO and have a cheat engine running in the background, but aren't cheating? None.

> > >

> > > A big proportion of people, I guarantee nearly everyone with a decent computer has alt tabbed out of this game or another one and completely forget they had it open, I know i have done this multiple times.

> > >

> > > > If you have to be told not run a a cheat program while playing an MMO, then there's nothing more to say.

> > >

> > > It's not just a cheat program though, it can be used with emulators like CEMU to change the locked FPS and other legitimate settings.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Completely missed my point. I didn't say that people don't alt-tab out of GW2 and forget its running, and I have no idea how you got that out of my comment.

> >

> > Answer the actual question. How many people run anti-cheat programs but don't use them to cheat? None.

>

> I thought i answered it pretty well and it looks like you agreed with the example i gave.

>

> Not sure why you agree that people can alt tab out of games and forget they are running but not do the same with cheat engine. It's a very simple unobtrusive GUI and uses virtually no resources when not in use, very easy to minimise it and forget it was running like i have done and i am sure others have done plenty of times.

>

>

"I run cheat engines but I _TOTALLY_ don't cheat in games I play"

Do you even understand how ridiculous that statement is? You run cheat engines. That's more than enough reasonable suspicion that you cheat at GW2.

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > > > > @"Twoodi.5849" said:

> > > > > > It raises more questions because you are basically admitting you have no evidence of people cheating but detected they have the program open at the same time which according to you is good enough reason to ban users for 6 months.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why shouldn't it be good enough reason? How many people realistically play an MMO and have a cheat engine running in the background, but aren't cheating? None.

> > > >

> > > > A big proportion of people, I guarantee nearly everyone with a decent computer has alt tabbed out of this game or another one and completely forget they had it open, I know i have done this multiple times.

> > > >

> > > > > If you have to be told not run a a cheat program while playing an MMO, then there's nothing more to say.

> > > >

> > > > It's not just a cheat program though, it can be used with emulators like CEMU to change the locked FPS and other legitimate settings.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Completely missed my point. I didn't say that people don't alt-tab out of GW2 and forget its running, and I have no idea how you got that out of my comment.

> > >

> > > Answer the actual question. How many people run anti-cheat programs but don't use them to cheat? None.

> >

> > I thought i answered it pretty well and it looks like you agreed with the example i gave.

> >

> > Not sure why you agree that people can alt tab out of games and forget they are running but not do the same with cheat engine. It's a very simple unobtrusive GUI and uses virtually no resources when not in use, very easy to minimise it and forget it was running like i have done and i am sure others have done plenty of times.

> >

> >

>

> "I run cheat engines but I _TOTALLY_ don't cheat in games I play"

>

> Do you even understand how ridiculous that statement is? You run cheat engines. That's more than enough reasonable suspicion that you cheat at GW2.

Perhaps this is a misunderstanding because Cheat Engine is not being calitalized. It is a proper noun. I do not use GW2 to make war on any guilds, and some people may not use a software toolkit called Cheat Engine to break the rules of a game.

I don't know why some people here are against a review on people who were banned because of cheat engine. What harm can it do? Cheat engine cannot be used to to very harmful things like the other programs can, and for good reason. Its a simple and broad tool in opposed to other programs that are specifically made to cheat in MMOs and some even specifically made to cheat in GW2 itself. Ban people who use these programs with prejudice. No one in this thread or anywhere will contest that decidion.

But cheat engine is different. Me and I suspect many other are banned but we never cheated in any shape or form in GW2. I don't even remember running it alongside GW2, so even if I used it and I'm not banned for merely having it on my PC it makes me believe the wording made by Anet "significant number of hours" is simply not true. Because I'm VERY certain I did not run cheat engine for "significant" hours alongside GW2.

> @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> I don't know why some people here are against a review on people who were banned because of cheat engine. What harm can it do?

Because it's very clear people running any software from the list violates Anet's terms of service for the game.

> @"Buy Some Apples.6390" said:

>

> >someone threw the hammer a bit further this year and sadly everyone who botted or used any other kind of other hack in ~ 3 weeks in march (where I was on vacation >Nosebleed ) is having a 6 months break from the game now.

>

> >The good news is, we know already what and how they did it. We assume that was their 'yearly purge' that happens literally every year when they start SAB.

>

> >If you want to be 100% sure that it is 'ok to bot', please wait a few more days, we are taking the needed steps that this will not happen again. But their "detection" is currently not active and you can already go crazy with your bots. We are just adding a few more things to our end.

>

> >We are updating this thread once we finished the needed changes.

>

> >Minion goes on!

>

> Looks like the hackers and botters arent really phased by this.

> But one things looks certain, the hacker devs are way more active than anet devs when it comes to developing!

>

>

Anet should just keep their detection on permanently. If Anet updates the list of hashes frequently there is no way for the hack and bot makers to circumvent it. Private hacks will still be a problem, but all the noobs dont make their own stuff.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> Well I can't speak for anyone else, but this thread made me so happy I am gonna start spending money on the game again.

Nice spending.

Hint: actual cheaters and hackers who know what they are doing are pretty much unaffected by the wave and still operating in the game.

> @"CETheLucid.3964" said:

> > @"Kovu.7560" said:

> > Right. So I don't use any 3rd party programs at the moment, but I was thinking about getting arcdps.

> > This scares the kitten out of me. Could we get clarification in a pinned topic, [perhaps this one](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/352/policy-third-party-programs-multi-boxing-macros "perhaps this one"), as to which 3rd party programs are allowed? I'd feel a lot better about it being officially written in a pinned thread and not simply heresay or some old dev post somewhere around here or reddit.

> >

> > Until then I'll be avoiding any of the bell-and-whistle programs.

> >

> > ~ Kovu

>

> No one in the recent banwave was banned for using ArcDPS, TaCO, or ReShade/GW2Hook (mod of ReShade specially for GW2).

>

> ArenaNet has even showcased some of these on their videos. Chris Clearly was working with the ArcDPS dev when build templates came out, which is essentially an auto-clicker to allocate your traits.

>

> It's a safe bet TaCO and ReShade are never going to get you banned as TaCO is an overlay that simply uses the official game APIs and ReShade is just a DirectX renderer that does nothing to the actual game beyond making it look pretty or different from the default renderer.

>

> ArcDPS as of present is safe and legal but it does read the memory, however only to provide kosher details that the game already offers. It simply takes all the legwork out of manually adding DPS numbers, it can calculate group DPS, etc. It's very handy and good.

>

> Now if ArcDPS dev one day decides to lose his mind and add a bunch of non-kosher features as some DPS tools had done, it would become illegal.

>

> It becomes a matter of keeping up with what ArcDPS dev is doing and despite what some posters would have you believe Anet aren't the gestapo waiting for you to step out of line to ban you.

>

> Other DPS meter guy was given a grace period to stop being crazy and he did not.

>

> Users were given a grace period to stop using the illegal meter and even Chris said something to the effect he blamed the dev not so much the users for going out of line with the features he included (making a kosher version and a Chinese version with non-kosher features... guess what people opted to use?)

>

> ArcDPS dev is pretty chill and it's a pretty safe bet he's not gonna be crazy. But you never know. Obviously if he starts adding gear checking abilities, exact HP data, exact player data, etc. you'd probably better drop it.

>

> As of writing you're good if you want to use ArcDPS, GW2Hook/ReShade, and/or TaCO. Bells and whistles are great.

> ___

>

> Just practice a little common sense. Don't keep CheatEngine on while you're playing an online multiplayer game you care about. You'll trigger some anti-cheat measures and get banned.

>

> Much less, don't download trainers to use in said game. It'll probably get you banned. Basic things some of our surely innocent friends neglected to do.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

~ Kovu

> @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> > @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

> > > @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> > > > @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

> > > > > @"Nezekan.2671" said:

> > > > > Currently at almost 2400 upvotes and counting. It warranted a response from Anet and forced them to drop their bold tone. Lets keep at it people. We made EA bend, we can do it to Anet too, which is tiny in comparison. Anet cannot be allowed to get away with this type of action (read the reddit thread, its has very clear explanation and sufficient proof of what Anet has done and how is different than Blizzard and others, because Anet KEPT all your data) and banning people who did not cheat in any shape or form in the game.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Or how "assume" becomes "they definitely kept everything".

> > > > Well yeah, they kept data on who used a specific set of softwares. Beyond that we can't know. Not that it really matters anyway.

> > > >

> > > > You know what else they keep... character progress, your in game chat logs (no privacy outrage on that one?), your real name, address, and all that stuff a billion times more important for "privacy" than a list of banned tools you used.

> > > >

> > > > Funny how people conveniently start caring about something that was always there (for a reason) when it happens to highlight some wrong usage they made of a game.

> > > > Again, if you have real privacy concerns, don't play mmos, don't use windows, and stay safely at home where the world can't know what you're cooking for your next meal. Beyond that, most of what I see here is people trying really hard to make monitoring sound like it was a big deal, while the actual big deal for the players who actually play and care about the game is these annoying cheaters.

> > >

> > > 1. You have not read that thread

> > > 2. You have no idea what you are talking about

> > > 3. Have a nice day

> >

> > Hey more assumption, I didn't read that thread alright.

> > A small detail: Reading != Agreeing with everything that is said.

> >

> > In this case, this guy was banned, and while his technical explanation makes sense, it doesn't mean that it's as bad as what he wants to make it sound like. And it definitely doesn't mean he knows what is and isn't saved in a server he has no access to.

> > But hey, common sense is hard. Meanwhile legit people were banned, commanders from WvW that were using tools and ruining other players experience, but I guess THAT doesn't matter.

> >

> > Your answer does not add one bit of argument, in addition to conveniently avoiding talking about the major flaws in your argumentation. Furthermore you also know I've said quite a few times that false positives are another topic. But sure, keep blowing things out of proportion and compare things that cannot be compared, hurting the game in the process and all the players that just want cheaters to be gone. Keep completely ignoring the main issue that is cheating, and focus on your own case that could be resolved by just exchanging with anet.

> > Legit false positive have been and will be unbanned. That's all there is to it, everything else is regular internet bashing whenever something doesn't go their way.

>

> You are the one assuming. What Anet did was in fact slowing down the performance of your PC, I can confirm that I was about to buy new RAM due to how slow my PC was in March. That was Anet's doing.

>

> Second of all, the method is much more intrusive than a simple scan. It analyzes each and every file individually (hence the reported performance drop) and then sends everything it finds to GW2 servers. So if you are working on a sensitive data, Anet now has it. It doesn't just know you are running a program (such as notepad in this case) it knows the all lines written in it.

>

> Anet most certainly failed at communication (and in this particular case basic common sense and anti-cheat development experience) as usual. Its as bad as he says and all you do is blindly defending Anet. I have yet to see an actual counter argument, so don't expect more argument from me. You are the one who is utterly lacking.

- You start right off with a fallacious argument. I'm talking about you making assumption that anet is retaining things on their server (which they do for some of it, which you agreed to) and you're talking about... Anet slowing down your PC to monitor you. It's got nothing to do with my point.

- ... Anet reads each and every file individually? So no. It's not "every file", it's the list of processes, aka not text files or such. Easy for people to assume the worst if you twist what the thread says.

Still given this thread that you read and that i certainly didn't read, it creates a hash of its content. A hash is destructive, you do not get the content back, it's not "magical". And while yes, the processes you run could be potentially figured out (and nobody denied that) they still won't get access to any personal information, such as private text, credit card info, or anything like that. If the hashes couldn't be compared by Anet it would kind of missing the point..........

So there you go, anet gets a bunch of 9ecd718748a6ab5d2df3ac46633e4424 and stuff, for the sole purpose of checking if it matches one of the tools they don't want you to use. BIG BREACH OF PRIVACY/SECURITY UWU [insert conspiracy theory here]

Again, explain how is that a huge breach of security. Explain where is the malicious intent. Or point out exactly where it is said that "each and every file" is sent to anet. My "utterly lacking" argumentation would love to hear about it.

- There is no good way to ever win with such a community. You do nothing against cheaters, you get blamed. You do something, you get blamed for even trying. Pretty much EVERYONE agrees that improvements can be made (especially the hashing process), and (almost) everyone agree that false positives should be unbanned. But some straight up misinformation also need to be debunked sometimes, rather than letting non technical people assume the worst (and tell you to stop talking about it), because THAT sounds very much to me as people who are just trying to find excuse to bash a company. No Anet doesn't just send the content of you files. Could they? Of course yes, just like any program in your computer. The JOKE here is that you guys only care now because you got BANNED. And this sudden over paranoia about everything is laughable. All of us use facebook, google, we all give out data on the internet. It's time to stop worrying about whether someone can see that you brushed your teeth 10 minutes ago.