Account suspension discussion [merged]

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > > The worst part about this whole incident is Anet feeling like they are entitled to spy on our private property.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Let's see how this pans out in the long haul lol

> > >

> > > This isn't your private property though .. understand the ToS. You pay to access THEIR system and software. if you don't like how that software interacts with your computer, don't run it.

> >

> > Blanket ToS's really don't hold up under scrutiny. I mean you can completely stay in your world, but don't demand everyone conform to it.

> >

> >

> > Thank You

>

> This isn't about scrutiny or courts or law. It simply sets the expectation for behavior ... and Anet will act on it. I mean ... feel free to ignore it ... see how that works out for you.

Yes yes it is.

They went beyond what is pertaining to their game client. Any person here isn't upset that anet scanned what is going on with the game client. The fact they went beyond that is the problem.

This is proven because we know for a FACT that people were banned wrongfully. You can continue in the delusional belief that this fact isn't true, Anet confirmed it btw, that is your right. The problem is you want everyone to believe in the delusion. At this point in time you aren't contributing to this discussion due to your failure to educate yourself on the reality of the situation.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People being wrongfully banned (whatever that means) isn't proven by you claiming Anet went beyond what pertains to their game client. It's moot anyways. Anet owns the accounts; they can do as they please with them and that includes wrongfully banning people for whatever reason they feel they want to use. They don't need proof if they want to ban people if they feel the behaviour puts the game at risk. Other MMO's act the same. The risk is on the player. If that bothers you, you shouldn't be playing ANY online game, because it's all the same. Every game studio will take action to protect their assets if they even SUSPECT players are putting it in danger. They don't need anything more than that.

There isn't anything false here. It's literally as simple as this:

Anet owns the accounts and they can ban you for anything they want. If that bothers you, you have a CHOICE to not patronize their service. The ToS sets the expectation for behaviour for the players by the service provider to avoid having negative actions taken against the account you have access to.

Those are not false information; those are FACTS and those facts make almost everything else you and others say irrelevant.

You wouldn't shop at a store that abused you as a customer (unless you were into that kind of thing), so why would you do it in this case? Exercise your choice as a client.

If you have a problem with my posts, report them. See how that works out for you as well as ignoring the ToS.

> @"mrstealth.6701" said:

> I can guarantee that you are completely wrong about that, **at least for a portion** of the playerbase. My GW2 account page displays my real name as well as my phone number (from registering for SMS 2-factor authentication). And Arenanet already knows my mailing address, because that information was taken for Guild Wars 1 account registration. That GW1 account was merged into my GW2 account when I signed up for GW2.

I assume that this "portion" is bigger than the portion of the GW2 accounts where ArenaNet already has all the information you gave them so freely. As far as I can remember noone throwing a tantrum about this breach of privacy has mentioned before that this may only apply to a portion of the GW2 userbase. Maybe they were just as unaware of the fact that ArenaNet does not have this info for some accounts, as I was unaware that they do. I never played GW1. So we might be able to agree here that you have a case for people that ArenaNet knows all about like yourself, while I have a case for people that ArenaNet knows nothing of but an email like myself.

>

> edit: found something else interesting

> If you register for a new GW2 right now, immediately after confirming your email address, you are asked for your phone number for SMS authentication. It is not required to give the number or use that service, but it is absolutely asked for.

It is clear enough for me to have noticed that it is not required even though I am not overly concerned about my privacy. It started popping up for me from time to time since I got HoT for my second account, and I consider it a nuisance but not something that may trick peole into giving out their cellphone number if they don't want to.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> People being wrongfully banned (whatever that means) isn't proven by you claiming Anet went beyond what pertains to their game client. It's moot anyways. Anet owns the accounts; they can do as they please with them. They don't need proof if they want to ban people if they feel the behaviour puts the game at risk. Other MMO's act the same. The risk is on the player.

It was proven when Anet clearly stated that they banned players for having processes running, whether or not they were used to cheat or interact with the game in any way.

There are concepts that go beyond a ToS and the coldness of what is or isn't absolutely allowed or forbidden. Ideas like justice, fairness, compassion, treating people with dignity and respect, right and wrong, being reasonable. The unspoken rules of being human, if you will.

Every game, pretty much every company we deal with, has their set of cold, hard rules. But those companies aren't just acting according to what those rules lay out. We'd all feel like we were living under the boot of oppressive regimes if that were true. They're all owned and operated by humans, and that blurs together with the cold rules of business. Sometimes the humanity gets buried under the business, and a company makes choices that go against the unspoken rules of being human. When that happens, we can either accept it and act like we're Customer#00001 that must simply conform, or we can speak out and remind them that we're all human.

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > People being wrongfully banned (whatever that means) isn't proven by you claiming Anet went beyond what pertains to their game client. It's moot anyways. Anet owns the accounts; they can do as they please with them. They don't need proof if they want to ban people if they feel the behaviour puts the game at risk. Other MMO's act the same. The risk is on the player.

>

> It was proven when Anet clearly stated that they banned players for having processes running, whether or not they were used to cheat or interact with the game in any way.

>

> There are concepts that go beyond a ToS and the coldness of what is or isn't absolutely allowed or forbidden. Ideas like justice, fairness, compassion, treating people with dignity and respect, right and wrong, being reasonable. The unspoken rules of being human, if you will.

>

> Every game, pretty much every company we deal with, has their set of cold, hard rules. But those companies aren't just acting according to what those rules lay out. We'd all feel like we were living under the boot of oppressive regimes if that were true. They're all owned and operated by humans, and that blurs together with the cold rules of business. Sometimes the humanity gets buried under the business, and a company makes choices that go against the unspoken rules of being human. When that happens, we can either accept it and act like we're Customer#00001 that must simply conform, or we can speak out and remind them that we're all human.

I'm just going to refer you back to the facts I posted that make all this irrelevant.

Anet owns the accounts and they can ban you for anything they want. If that bothers you, you have a CHOICE to not patronize their service. The ToS sets the expectation for behaviour for the players by the service provider to avoid having negative actions taken against the account you have access to.

> @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > @"mrstealth.6701" said:

> > I can guarantee that you are completely wrong about that, **at least for a portion** of the playerbase. My GW2 account page displays my real name as well as my phone number (from registering for SMS 2-factor authentication). And Arenanet already knows my mailing address, because that information was taken for Guild Wars 1 account registration. That GW1 account was merged into my GW2 account when I signed up for GW2.

> I assume that this "portion" is bigger than the portion of the GW2 accounts where ArenaNet already has all the information you gave them so freely. As far as I can remember noone throwing a tantrum about this breach of privacy has mentioned before that this may only apply to a portion of the GW2 userbase. Maybe they were just as unaware of the fact that ArenaNet does not have this info for some accounts, as I was unaware that they do. I never played GW1. So we might be able to agree here that you have a case for people that ArenaNet knows all about like yourself, while I have a case for people that ArenaNet knows nothing of but an email like myself.

> >

> > edit: found something else interesting

> > If you register for a new GW2 right now, immediately after confirming your email address, you are asked for your phone number for SMS authentication. It is not required to give the number or use that service, but it is absolutely asked for.

>

> It is clear enough for me to have noticed that it is not required even though I am not overly concerned about my privacy. It started popping up for me from time to time since I got HoT for my second account, and I consider it a nuisance but not something that may trick peole into giving out their cellphone number if they don't want to.

It's not even clear what information they might have for every other account. Looking at Digital River's privacy terms, they are within their rights to share personal data with Anet when we make purchases.

The only accounts where there could be reasonable certainty that they don't have personal information are free accounts and physical copies/3rd party purchased keys where any gem purchases were done via cards.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > People being wrongfully banned (whatever that means) isn't proven by you claiming Anet went beyond what pertains to their game client. It's moot anyways. Anet owns the accounts; they can do as they please with them. They don't need proof if they want to ban people if they feel the behaviour puts the game at risk. Other MMO's act the same. The risk is on the player.

> >

> > It was proven when Anet clearly stated that they banned players for having processes running, whether or not they were used to cheat or interact with the game in any way.

> >

> > There are concepts that go beyond a ToS and the coldness of what is or isn't absolutely allowed or forbidden. Ideas like justice, fairness, compassion, treating people with dignity and respect, right and wrong, being reasonable. The unspoken rules of being human, if you will.

> >

> > Every game, pretty much every company we deal with, has their set of cold, hard rules. But those companies aren't just acting according to what those rules lay out. We'd all feel like we were living under the boot of oppressive regimes if that were true. They're all owned and operated by humans, and that blurs together with the cold rules of business. Sometimes the humanity gets buried under the business, and a company makes choices that go against the unspoken rules of being human. When that happens, we can either accept it and act like we're Customer#00001 that must simply conform, or we can speak out and remind them that we're all human.

>

> I'm just going to refer you back to the facts I posted that make all this irrelevant.

>

> Anet owns the accounts and they can ban you for anything they want. If that bothers you, you have a CHOICE to not patronize their service. The ToS sets the expectation for behaviour for the players by the service provider to avoid having negative actions taken against the account you have access to.

>

>

All I have to respond to that line of thinking is...

I'm human, and I choose to try and engage Anet as a human communicating with other humans. I have no delusions that it will produce any results, but that isn't going to deter me from the attempt.

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"mrstealth.6701" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > People being wrongfully banned (whatever that means) isn't proven by you claiming Anet went beyond what pertains to their game client. It's moot anyways. Anet owns the accounts; they can do as they please with them. They don't need proof if they want to ban people if they feel the behaviour puts the game at risk. Other MMO's act the same. The risk is on the player.

> > >

> > > It was proven when Anet clearly stated that they banned players for having processes running, whether or not they were used to cheat or interact with the game in any way.

> > >

> > > There are concepts that go beyond a ToS and the coldness of what is or isn't absolutely allowed or forbidden. Ideas like justice, fairness, compassion, treating people with dignity and respect, right and wrong, being reasonable. The unspoken rules of being human, if you will.

> > >

> > > Every game, pretty much every company we deal with, has their set of cold, hard rules. But those companies aren't just acting according to what those rules lay out. We'd all feel like we were living under the boot of oppressive regimes if that were true. They're all owned and operated by humans, and that blurs together with the cold rules of business. Sometimes the humanity gets buried under the business, and a company makes choices that go against the unspoken rules of being human. When that happens, we can either accept it and act like we're Customer#00001 that must simply conform, or we can speak out and remind them that we're all human.

> >

> > I'm just going to refer you back to the facts I posted that make all this irrelevant.

> >

> > Anet owns the accounts and they can ban you for anything they want. If that bothers you, you have a CHOICE to not patronize their service. The ToS sets the expectation for behaviour for the players by the service provider to avoid having negative actions taken against the account you have access to.

> >

> >

>

> All I have to respond to that line of thinking is...

> I'm human, and I choose to try and engage Anet as a human communicating with other humans. I have no delusions that it will produce any results, but that isn't going to deter me from the attempt.

Again, I'm not discouraging you from making whatever posts you want, but if you're going to argue with me about what is clearly negated by factual information, this is the response you will get. Frankly, it doesn't make much sense to reply to factual information with 'I'm human so I won't acknowledge facts' /shrug

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"mrstealth.6701" said:

> > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > People being wrongfully banned (whatever that means) isn't proven by you claiming Anet went beyond what pertains to their game client. It's moot anyways. Anet owns the accounts; they can do as they please with them. They don't need proof if they want to ban people if they feel the behaviour puts the game at risk. Other MMO's act the same. The risk is on the player.

> > > >

> > > > It was proven when Anet clearly stated that they banned players for having processes running, whether or not they were used to cheat or interact with the game in any way.

> > > >

> > > > There are concepts that go beyond a ToS and the coldness of what is or isn't absolutely allowed or forbidden. Ideas like justice, fairness, compassion, treating people with dignity and respect, right and wrong, being reasonable. The unspoken rules of being human, if you will.

> > > >

> > > > Every game, pretty much every company we deal with, has their set of cold, hard rules. But those companies aren't just acting according to what those rules lay out. We'd all feel like we were living under the boot of oppressive regimes if that were true. They're all owned and operated by humans, and that blurs together with the cold rules of business. Sometimes the humanity gets buried under the business, and a company makes choices that go against the unspoken rules of being human. When that happens, we can either accept it and act like we're Customer#00001 that must simply conform, or we can speak out and remind them that we're all human.

> > >

> > > I'm just going to refer you back to the facts I posted that make all this irrelevant.

> > >

> > > Anet owns the accounts and they can ban you for anything they want. If that bothers you, you have a CHOICE to not patronize their service. The ToS sets the expectation for behaviour for the players by the service provider to avoid having negative actions taken against the account you have access to.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > All I have to respond to that line of thinking is...

> > I'm human, and I choose to try and engage Anet as a human communicating with other humans. I have no delusions that it will produce any results, but that isn't going to deter me from the attempt.

>

> Again, I'm not discouraging you from making whatever posts you want, but if you're going to argue with me about what is clearly negated by factual information, this is the response you will get. Frankly, it doesn't make much sense to reply to factual information with 'I'm human so I won't acknowledge facts' /shrug

I'm fully aware of what the hard facts are, and that anything beyond them can be stomped out without consideration. I don't need to be reminded of this, I'm not ignoring or denying it. But they are human too, and have previously shown compassion/understanding, taking action outside of what they are obligated to do according to their rules.

And saying that if we don't like the ToS, our choice is to not play their game, kind of implies a discouragement to speaking out. I see you mean that in regard to speaking out not being an option as per the ToS, but it can easily come off as being told to 'live with it, or be quiet'. There are just two very different perspectives to viewing/approaching the situation, and I think we are on completely opposite sides of them.

> @"mortiferum.4579" said:

> Hello Tyrians!

> Does anyone know if it's normal that suspended account has 0 gold while the rest of currency is on it's place due to API at gw2efficiency?

> Suspension itself is going to be sorted out with support at some point, but that 0 on balance is highly terrifying for me.

I don't know for sure, but I can't think of any reason why being suspended would make the API report gold any differently. It's possible that they removed all gold on the assumption that it was obtained illegaly.

> > @"mortiferum.4579" said:

> > Hello Tyrians!

> > Does anyone know if it's normal that suspended account has 0 gold while the rest of currency is on it's place due to API at gw2efficiency?

> > Suspension itself is going to be sorted out with support at some point, but that 0 on balance is highly terrifying for me.

>

> I don't know for sure, but I can't think of any reason why being suspended would make the API report gold any differently. It's possible that they removed all gold on the assumption that it was obtained illegaly.

Yeah I thought of that option, but it would be strange to remove all of the gold gained during multiple years of playing while the account didn't even have any large income or outcome lately. I guess I have to hope that support will answer all my questions and track down what happened, but the waiting just gets on my nerves more and more.

> @"Jinks.2057" said:

> This is proven because we know for a FACT that people were banned wrongfully.

In this case? No, we actually don't. I have seen too many of "wrongfully banned" people that were protesting their innocence even when presented with clear proofs that they were plain lying to just believe anyone's claims that Anet made a mistake. Maybe they did, or maybe it's Maybelline.

> @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> >

> > A blanket consent might not be enough when private data is concerned. [...]

>

> You can try as long as you want to make people believe that what was sent was private or personal data, it wasn't. The hash of a program/process on your PC is not personal data because it does not hold any information about your person (or your belongings/contracts like bank accounts, debts, employment and so on).

>

> Now you may once again answer with the favorite thing people in this thread answer, and that is a highly unlikely and completely hypothetical scenario like "Someone may run a program named ihaveaids.exe on his PC and by transmitting the hash of that program people may learn that he has aids". Regardless of the scenario you come up with, no program running on your PC will be proof of anything, so it only leads to an assumption and not facts (data).

>

> And one more point. At least by the definition of european law, for something to be considered personal/private data it requires that the recipient of that data already knows your identity (your real name, not just some email you used to register) or is able to determine your identity/real name without any additional knowledge or investigation. This will never be the case, as no email provider will provide the real name of a customer to any company just for asking, and many email providers don't even know the real name of their customers in the first place. GW2 accounts are registered by email, not by real name. I have had my account since release and was never asked for my real name, nor did I have to identify myself for registering. As stated before, to ArenaNet you are just an account name and an email, even when you have purchased something from them because the financial transactions are handled by DigitalRiver. Nothing they will transmit to their servers will legally be "personal data" as long as they don't know who you are.

>

>

For what it is worth, only mentioned because of the specific example used, federal HIPPA laws do not require that PHI referencing a subject's health information be proof of a condition.

Still, it would be a bit of a stretch (to say the least) for this sort of situation to call for enforcement of HIPPA.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > This is proven because we know for a FACT that people were banned wrongfully.

> In this case? No, we actually don't. I have seen too many of "wrongfully banned" people that were protesting their innocence even when presented with clear proofs that they were plain lying to just believe anyone's claims that Anet made a mistake. Maybe they did, or maybe it's Maybelline.

>

>

Anet themselves said that they had banned players for only having a process running at the same time as the game, not because cheating actually occurred. There are quite a few of us that consider that to be wrongfully banned, particularly in cases where the process in question was CheatEngine, which is a multi-purpose tool and not a cheat specific to GW2.

For these instances, it's not a matter of whether the players are guilty of what Anet accuses. They are most likely guilty as charged. The problem is that the offense they are accused of is utter nonsense itself.

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > This is proven because we know for a FACT that people were banned wrongfully.

> > In this case? No, we actually don't. I have seen too many of "wrongfully banned" people that were protesting their innocence even when presented with clear proofs that they were plain lying to just believe anyone's claims that Anet made a mistake. Maybe they did, or maybe it's Maybelline.

> >

> >

>

> Anet themselves said that they had banned players for only having a process running at the same time as the game, not because cheating actually occurred.

To be more specific, they said they banned people that had a high corellation of running a certain "cheat" process alongside GW2 across a longer time. That's a much lower probability of accidentally occuring than just having gw2 and a process running concurrently once or twice for a short while.

So yeah, it is possible that someone might have accidentally been caught in the net. Probably not as likely as you might think, but i admit, it _could_ happen (even though i'd say that someone would have to be extremely unlucky for it to happen accidentally). That's not what you said however. You said you _know for a fact_ someone innocent has been banned. Not "might have been" but "had". That's a much more specific statement. And one we _don't_ actually know if it's true.

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > This is proven because we know for a FACT that people were banned wrongfully.

> > In this case? No, we actually don't. I have seen too many of "wrongfully banned" people that were protesting their innocence even when presented with clear proofs that they were plain lying to just believe anyone's claims that Anet made a mistake. Maybe they did, or maybe it's Maybelline.

> >

> >

>

> Anet themselves said that they had banned players for only having a process running at the same time as the game, not because cheating actually occurred. There are quite a few of us that consider that to be wrongfully banned, particularly in cases where the process in question was CheatEngine, which is a multi-purpose tool and not a cheat specific to GW2.

>

> For these instances, it's not a matter of whether the players are guilty of what Anet accuses. They are most likely guilty as charged. The problem is that the offense they are accused of is utter nonsense itself.

Given the process ANet's meager explanation seems to allude to, it is still possible that:

+ ANet did more, but are not saying what. I can hardly blame them for wanting to keep the details of their investigation from scrutiny.

+ People who assert all they did was have CE running were not, actually, innocent. After all, people with an ax to grind are not necessarily unbiased.

So . . . we're back to the, "Oh my God. The way ANet went about this is worst than the cheating!" part, are we?

Once more, you can voice your displeasure by quitting. For those of you that missed it, rehashing this argument hasn't made ANet change its mind. And, as far as I can tell, no one has had their ban reversed due to the argument recycled above. At least, they haven't returned to these forums to voice their absolution.

All I've seen from those users is how evil ANet is . . . on other forums.

> @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> So . . . we're back to the, "Oh my God. The way ANet went about this is worst than the cheating!" part, are we?

>

> Once more, you can voice your displeasure by quitting. For those of you that missed it, rehashing this argument hasn't made ANet change its mind. And, as far as I can tell, no one has had their ban reversed due to the argument recycled above. At least, they haven't returned to these forums to voice their absolution.

>

> All I've seen from those users is how evil ANet is . . . on other forums.

Any one commenting still has an active account, I'm talking privacy violations and ethical behavior by ANet.

Any one commenting obviously wasn't banned, that doesn't take a NASA Rocket Engineer to figure that out.

> @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> That doesn't entitle them to any more of my confidence, time, or money. Being on the right side of a contract doesn't mean much if you have customers that like me that no longer trust them and are holding back financially while waiting for some transparency in good faith.

>

> It's only money right?

Since you appear to have knowledge of IT and "net working" [sic], you know that in 2018, it's almost impossible to be connected to a WAN of any kind without sending data. I mean, in 1993 maybe, in your own null modem setup to play DooM, but today? I mean, some people of you really behave a bit weird and call everything a spyware and such. What's next? Calling your router infested because it contains your IP so the packages actually end up where they are supposed to be?

Excelsior..

> @"Oldirtbeard.9834" said:

> > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > So . . . we're back to the, "Oh my God. The way ANet went about this is worst than the cheating!" part, are we?

> >

> > Once more, you can voice your displeasure by quitting. For those of you that missed it, rehashing this argument hasn't made ANet change its mind. And, as far as I can tell, no one has had their ban reversed due to the argument recycled above. At least, they haven't returned to these forums to voice their absolution.

> >

> > All I've seen from those users is how evil ANet is . . . on other forums.

>

> Any one commenting still has an active account, I'm talking privacy violations and ethical behavior by ANet.

>

> Any one commenting obviously wasn't banned, that doesn't take a NASA Rocket Engineer to figure that out.

Um, no ... there is a guy here posting that was banned. The forum active status is not linked to the account active status AFAIK.