Has anyone figured out why Sandswept Isles goes 100% CPU Load?

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> Why does it matter if CPU load goes to 100% for a moment? CPUs are designed to run 24/7 at 100% load for years.

It sure is a nuisance if it hogs all cpu resources. I'm often on voice chat with friends while playing, chatting about all kinds of things, and loading into this map will suspend my voice chat for several seconds. It doesn't kill the connection, it just suspends sending and receiving for up to 10 seconds, so I'll have an uncomfortable break in the middle of conversations (as do several others of my friends).

> @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> Other question: Why should a game NOT use 100% of a CPU when it needs it? I mean, it would be a waste of money if you buy a gaming CPU of 4 GHz when the game just uses 2GHz of it.

You need the computer to also do other things aside from only 1 application. Like voice chat, mail, internet handling, antivirus, sync programs, music, archive explorer, system processes and a long, long etc. Using absolutely ALL cpu resources on only 1 thing will make your computer stop everything else. More often than not, this doesn't ends well.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> > Other question: Why should a game NOT use 100% of a CPU when it needs it? I mean, it would be a waste of money if you buy a gaming CPU of 4 GHz when the game just uses 2GHz of it.

>

> You need the computer to also do other things aside from only 1 application. Like voice chat, mail, internet handling, antivirus, sync programs, music, archive explorer, system processes and a long, long etc. Using absolutely ALL cpu resources on only 1 thing will make your computer stop everything else. More often than not, this doesn't ends well.

Your OS has process priorities and multitasking for this. Especially with multicore systems this is no longer an issue. In the time we had single core processors, a 3D game would ALWAYS use any CPU cycle it could get, just to maximize FPS performance. Multitasking and process priorities ensured that background tasks could remain active. (The worst thing what you could do here is giving your game realtime priority in Windows task manager. Been there, done that)

> @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > @"TheQuickFox.3826" said:

> > > Other question: Why should a game NOT use 100% of a CPU when it needs it? I mean, it would be a waste of money if you buy a gaming CPU of 4 GHz when the game just uses 2GHz of it.

> >

> > You need the computer to also do other things aside from only 1 application. Like voice chat, mail, internet handling, antivirus, sync programs, music, archive explorer, system processes and a long, long etc. Using absolutely ALL cpu resources on only 1 thing will make your computer stop everything else. More often than not, this doesn't ends well.

>

> Your OS has process priorities and multitasking for this. Especially with multicore systems this is no longer an issue. In the time we had single core processors, a 3D game would ALWAYS use any CPU cycle it could get, just to maximize FPS performance. Multitasking and process priorities ensured that background tasks could remain active. (The worst thing what you could do here is giving your game realtime priority in Windows task manager. Been there, done that)

That sounds like sound theory. In practice, however, everything on my computer used to shut down when Sandswept is loading. I lose voice transmission, music, and any background processes also seem to stop (although: hard to tell, since the machine is frozen).

The thing is: even if it's true that some software _should_ use 100% CPU when it needs it, what possible reason could GW2 have for needing 100% CPU? It's a game; it should never require _everything_ just to load a map.