• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @TexZero.7910 said:

> > @TheQuickFox.3826 said:

> > What are these forum badges for?

> >

> > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/badge/insightful-25

> >

> > Considering the users who have these badges: Do you need to be ArenaNet employee for this one?

>

> Disabled. They're like helpful only, not.

There's insightful-5, -50, -250, -500, counting "helpful" upvotes.

For some reason, insightful-25 tracks "insightfuls" instead, so I'm guessing that ANet changed the rules before anyone else earned a badge. Probably something they could fix, if they thought it was important.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> You know what would be nice? (Hard to believe I'm missing Mod Messages, but...) A notification of when your posts get merged into a different thread. Sigh.

Not only that, I am also getting no message at all when a thread I posted in got deleted - which happened at least three times in the last month. I thought sending a notification by forum mail about things like that was pretty normal for a forum to do.

> @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> For the love of the six gods, please stop the "Draft Saved" prompts already. They (interrupted by Draft Saved prompt) are really intrusive. If you must tell us the draft has been saved, do it with a little text under the Draft text (interrupted by Draft Saved prompt) field.

I believe @"Gaile Gray.6029" stated there isn't the ability to move the prompt. However she did post a poll asking if it should be removed.

>@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

>I've learned from Vanilla that we are not able to extend the time period between those friendly "Saved edit" messages. Nor will we be able to move the message to a different spot on the page. With those facts in mind, I'd like to ask your opinion about the "saved edit" feature from the choices we have available.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/15462/saved-edit-poll/p1

It seems the popular vote was to remove it, but I'm not sure what that means in the big picture. Maybe we will get some news on that after the holiday weekend.

> @JustTrogdor.7892 said:

> > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > For the love of the six gods, please stop the "Draft Saved" prompts already. They (interrupted by Draft Saved prompt) are really intrusive. If you must tell us the draft has been saved, do it with a little text under the Draft text (interrupted by Draft Saved prompt) field.

>

> I believe @"Gaile Gray.6029" stated there isn't the ability to move the prompt. However she did post a poll asking if it should be removed.

> >@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> >I've learned from Vanilla that we are not able to extend the time period between those friendly "Saved edit" messages. Nor will we be able to move the message to a different spot on the page. With those facts in mind, I'd like to ask your opinion about the "saved edit" feature from the choices we have available.

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/15462/saved-edit-poll/p1

>

> It seems the popular vote was to remove it, but I'm not sure what that means in the big picture. Maybe we will get some news on that after the holiday weekend.

Thank you for digging that up and (interrupted by Draft prompt) letting me know. Much appreciated!

• ArenaNet Staff

An update on the "Saved Draft" irrita... feature. :)

We will be disabling the automatic save function this week. (Our web programmer is away today, but I have sent an e-mail to get it on his backlog.)

You still will be able to -- and in fact are highly encouraged to -- manually save your drafts by clicking, "Save Draft" below the text frame. You can find your saved drafts by visiting your Account Options section (the gear to the right of your Display Name at the top of the page) and finding the "My Drafts" section. If you wish to delete a draft, click the "X" in the upper right corner of that draft's frame. I go through my drafts on a regular basis and delete all of them. If I do not, I find that occasionally, when I visit a thread, I have an incomplete draft at the bottom of the thread, a sort of moribund post that I never made. If you ever open a thread and, when going to start a comment, note that there is content already in the text frame, that's what caused it: An automatically saved draft. With the removal of the auto-save feature, you should see fewer of these bec ause once we have disabled the auto-save feature, you will only have manually saved drafts. However, you still may want to occasionally review and delete old drafts from your folder.

Hello! I can't read all the responses to see if this has been suggested, but:

Recently I voted on a yes/no poll. After thinking about it some more and reading people's responses, I changed my mind.

I think if we had the option to change our votes, polls would more accurately reflect the community as time goes on, instead of everyone's first reaction.

I have also seen other people in polls commenting that they changed their minds, but unless you read all the comments, you would never know they changed their minds.

Is it possible to increase the size of the text box when creating a poll? At the moment it only fits about 2-3 lines, which is fine for a simple question but if you want to suggest a new system or something that requires a more in-depth explanation it gets very annoying to try and write the post when you can only see a tiny part of it. Even if it can't expand dynamically like the reply box does simply increasing it to a bigger fixed size would help.

• ArenaNet Staff

The text box is kept small to focus the verbiage, as it is with about any polling system I've looked into. Explanations or details should be provided _outside_ of the poll. So you use a synopsis in the poll and put details above or below the actual voting mechanism itself.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Is it possible to increase the size of the text box when creating a poll? At the moment it only fits about 2-3 lines, which is fine for a simple question but if you want to suggest a new system or something that requires a more in-depth explanation it gets very annoying to try and write the post when you can only see a tiny part of it. Even if it can't expand dynamically like the reply box does simply increasing it to a bigger fixed size would help.

Due to our security requirements, we do not retain an e-mail address for your forum account. Therefore, sending an e-mail is not possible.

> @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > You know what would be nice? (Hard to believe I'm missing Mod Messages, but...) A notification of when your posts get merged into a different thread. Sigh.

>

> Not only that, I am also getting no message at all when a thread I posted in got deleted - which happened at least three times in the last month. I thought sending a notification by forum mail about things like that was pretty normal for a forum to do.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> The text box is kept small to focus the verbiage, as it is with about any polling system I've looked into. Explanations or details should be provided _outside_ of the poll. So you use a synopsis in the poll and put details above or below the actual voting mechanism itself.

>

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > Is it possible to increase the size of the text box when creating a poll? At the moment it only fits about 2-3 lines, which is fine for a simple question but if you want to suggest a new system or something that requires a more in-depth explanation it gets very annoying to try and write the post when you can only see a tiny part of it. Even if it can't expand dynamically like the reply box does simply increasing it to a bigger fixed size would help.

>

> Due to our security requirements, we do not retain an e-mail address for your forum account. Therefore, sending an e-mail is not possible.

>

> > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > You know what would be nice? (Hard to believe I'm missing Mod Messages, but...) A notification of when your posts get merged into a different thread. Sigh.

> >

> > Not only that, I am also getting no message at all when a thread I posted in got deleted - which happened at least three times in the last month. I thought sending a notification by forum mail about things like that was pretty normal for a forum to do.

>

I don't think anyone was asking about an e-mail; rather the 'mail' that is really a PM or notification (In-box stuff).

Hey, great new feature where the Carousel (I'm guessing) automatically puts the quoted messages of a post in '(Quote)'. So, now no Dev needs to post the quote at the bottom of their message/post. I also noticed something different about the icons that lead to 'Bookmarks', 'Account Options', 'In-box', etc. Cool!

• ArenaNet Staff

Yes, we're making progress on improvements and that's just great!

Now, instead of a quote pushing down a dev comment, and rather than having to do the odd placement of a comment *above* a quote, you will see -- in the carousel of dev comments -- something as simple as the word "quote" and then the actual content of the dev post. Hooray!!!

> Not only that, I am also getting no message at all when a thread I posted in got deleted - which happened at least three times in the last month. I thought sending a notification by forum mail about things like that was pretty normal for a forum to do.

>

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> Due to our security requirements, we do not retain an e-mail address for your forum account. Therefore, sending an e-mail is not possible.

>

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I don't think anyone was asking about an e-mail; rather the 'mail' that is really a PM or notification (In-box stuff).

>

Indeed, I never had a forum email me about stuff like this, and I would certainly not consider that "normal for a forum". I meant a message as in private message/forum message or whatever it may be called. I am not sure there is a specific term for an "in-forum-mail" but I wrote "notification by forum mail" and meant a mail within the forum, not an email :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • ArenaNet Staff

>

> > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > Not only that, I am also getting no message at all when a thread I posted in got deleted - which happened at least three times in the last month. I thought sending a notification by forum mail about things like that was pretty normal for a forum to do.

> >

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > Due to our security requirements, we do not retain an e-mail address for your forum account. Therefore, sending an e-mail is not possible.

> >

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > I don't think anyone was asking about an e-mail; rather the 'mail' that is really a PM or notification (In-box stuff).

> >

> Indeed, I never had a forum email me about stuff like this, and I would certainly not consider that "normal for a forum". I meant a message as in private message/forum message or whatever it may be called. I am not sure there is a specific term for an "in-forum-mail" but I wrote "notification by forum mail" and meant a mail within the forum, not an email :)

>

>

This sort of notification is not something that we will be able to offer, unless we identify an approved Vanilla plug-in that *automatically* performs this service. We must balance time needed for active moderation versus time that would be taken for such notifications. It would be very time-consuming to identify and then manually inform every participating member about a thread's removal. Doing so inevitably would raise some number of questions, which then would need be read and answered, or read and referred to me to answer, since the moderators are not active in the Private Message system.

Very few threads are removed in any given day, and usually the removals stem from a very obvious source and are pretty easily predicted. Today, the OP in a thread that amassed a couple of pages of responses was rude and offensive in their very first post. Why *anyone* responded, I cannot say, but with better judgment, would-be participants would have realized that a thread containing non-constructive, aggressively rude comments isn't likely to stay forever, so they shouldn't waste their time responding. (But might spend their time productively submitting a moderator report!) The message here is: When joining a thread, choose wisely. If it has hate speech, rude comments, offensive language, links to objectionable materials -- if it looks like removal bait -- then don't post. And for those that are removed but didn't seem objectionable when you joined, I hope you'll understand that our objective first is to retain as much forum input as possible, and that removals are an uncommon but unavoidable element of managing a forum.

To be clear, I'm not rejecting the concept of such notifications. The truth is, I'd love us to have them! But at this time, I hope it's clear why we want to keep our eyes on forum content and on reviewing member reports, because those are the two areas in which we can make the most positive impact and help the forums be the best place they can be.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been adressed yet (not wading through 25 pages to see, I'm much too important to the fate of the universe for that);

In the Dev Travker menu at the top it seems to show the latest activity in threads that have developer inputs. So if a dev postes something and people keep replying over say 5 days that thread will keep appearing near top for that duration despite it being 5 days since a dev posted in it. The old forum had it such that the posts in the dev tracker only showed up when a developer made a comment, and would fade down the list if no developers replied to it again even if people commented regularly in it.

Can it be changed to the behavior of the old system and just track dev posts and not just threads which have had developer input at some point in time?

Is such a thing feasible with the new software or is it a deliberate choice that's been made.?

@"Gaile Gray.6029" is it possible to make dev tracker works like the one in old forum, on the old forum its gonna show us dev's latest reply on a thread, but now dev only reply once but the thread keep going to show on top if anyone reply, which make it hard to find dev specific comment in thread with many pages. i open the thread only to see the latest comment only by community and dev last comment already 1 or 2 weeks ago

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"YuckaMountain.3786" said:

> I was thinking about whether it would be feasible to have some kind of suggestion tag made for the improvement suggestions when people post them @ the forums? This would make them more easily differentiated from other posts. :smile:

Many forum members use a self-tagging system: They start their thread with [suggestion] and then insert a title. This does catch the eye -- even on the index page -- and it's helpful to the devs looking for suggestions.

The same sort of flagging also works for [bug] or [Feedback], if desired.

> @"BillC.4521" said:

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" is it possible to make dev tracker works like the one in old forum, on the old forum its gonna show us dev's latest reply on a thread, but now dev only reply once but the thread keep going to show on top if anyone reply, which make it hard to find dev specific comment in thread with many pages. i open the thread only to see the latest comment only by community and dev last comment already 1 or 2 weeks ago

I've noticed that, too, and I have asked our liaison with Vanilla to see if there is anything we can do about it.

• 2 weeks later...