Gravedigger use to hit twice?

ZDragon.3046

It has occurred to me that this skill likely hit twice in development why was it changed to now hit once without removing the after cast of the animation. Or why cant it still hit twice.

The skill icon displays 2 blades which implies 2 hits in its earlier design.

The cast of the animation continues for 1 additional spin after the first hit (in aftercast) which also implies that it hit twice.

After speaking on a few people with this I thought back to the trailer of reaper.

In the trailer it even has the sound effect for hitting twice!

o.o why was this changed does it possibly have something to do with the cd reset that it now has?

One will only every endlessly consider the possibilities :>

Just something im really curious about honestly.

> @"pah.4931" said:

> I really, really hope they change gravedigger someday. The reset CD is boring design and not great for PvP or PvE.

>

> With that said. It sure does sound like it hits twice. :D

Boring in PvE maybe, but the cooldown reset is amazing for PvP/WvW. It's basically a guaranteed stomp/downcleave and forcibly denies people from ressing because they'll get nuked to dirt if they try.

I've said it since the release of reaper and I'll continue to say it: Gravedigger is only weak (in PvP/WvW) if you try to force it to do damage. It's otherwise a very potent skill because it can force opponents to back off/reset despite trying to pressure you (or else they'll basically just die) which you can take tremendous advantage of.

> @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > @"pah.4931" said:

> > I really, really hope they change gravedigger someday. The reset CD is boring design and not great for PvP or PvE.

> >

> > With that said. It sure does sound like it hits twice. :D

>

> Boring in PvE maybe, but the cooldown reset is amazing for PvP/WvW. It's basically a guaranteed stomp/downcleave and forcibly denies people from ressing because they'll get nuked to dirt if they try.

>

> I've said it since the release of reaper and I'll continue to say it: Gravedigger is only weak (in PvP/WvW) if you try to force it to do damage. It's otherwise a very potent skill because it can force opponents to back off/reset despite trying to pressure you (or else they'll basically just die) which you can take tremendous advantage of.

That's a fair point. Especially since Reapers have very limited (and crappy) access to to stab for a secure stomp.

> @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > @"pah.4931" said:

> > I really, really hope they change gravedigger someday. The reset CD is boring design and not great for PvP or PvE.

> >

> > With that said. It sure does sound like it hits twice. :D

>

> Boring in PvE maybe, but the cooldown reset is amazing for PvP/WvW. It's basically a guaranteed stomp/downcleave and forcibly denies people from ressing because they'll get nuked to dirt if they try.

Gravedigger is terrible downcleave. It's trivially easy to shutdown via blind, aegis, interrupt, or block, and it only pays off if every gravedigger crits. Not to mention down cleave is extremely cheap in this game to begin with. Reaper would be infinitely better off with less ways to cleave downs and more ways to down people.

There are very few ways people can blind/interrupt and res at the same time, and again, it can all be about setting up for a follow-through on another set of abilities. If they're applying pressure to the reaper to deny the GD, they've not been ressing or stopped doing so. If they blow defenses to prevent GD from hitting, it bides time for the reaper to use one of many more damning tools to punish both players harder immediately after. Even if the second player in question gets ressed, it's a cooldown trade win for the reaper, anyways, and by this time, other major abilities like shroud/spiral will be available to down both players when the second comes up.

I'll trade Gravedigger for some other high-impact cooldown by my opponent in any situation.

The only problem is that its just too slow+ the after delay to use it with the no cooldown. Deal more damage with AA to be honest and can use other skills as they come off cooldown in between AA. Its great for whirl finishers thou.

But doubt greatsword is gonna get much changes, cuz its clear your supposed to be in Reaper Shroud to kill stuff.