Too much dismounting and remounting

Too many things cause a dismount. We are having to remount CONSTANTLY. A non-exhaustive list:

* Talking

* Repairing

* Shopping

* Gathering

* Vistas

* Interacting with non-combat quest objects (ie water dispensers, bleached bones, carrots, etc.)

* Resurrecting

* Opening chests

* Interacting with mastery points

None of these (and this is not everything) are very rare. I checked my own key presses and X is now the most hit key IN THE ENTIRE GAME outside WASD-Space. We need to be able to do more mounted. The amount of extra clicking that is being generated is ludicrous.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a lot less gathering now, because it involves so much micromanagement. Slowing down (which requires some maneuvering), potentially repositioning if the dismount is awkward, waiting for the gather to end, re-mounting, turning to get in the proper direction again, then rebuilding up speed. Now, none of that is difficult in the least, it's just a lot of clicking & turning & waiting for a few silver's worth of materials.

It's similarly annoying to deal with narrow stairs/ledges/turns and swapping mounts for a brief obstacle. Those require similar amounts of micromanagement. And again, it's not hard, it's just tedious.

So I sympathize with the OP's complaints. At the same time, I agree with others above that it might be worth adapting to the new game first before assuming that things are actually worse.

I do think they could make it easier to choose and swap mounts, using fewer keybinding and perhaps allow us to swap mounts rather than dismount→swap→remount. Even if ANet agrees with me about that being a priority, I'm sure it will be 4-8 months before we'd see any changes.

> @Rauderi.8706 said:

> It's a nearly instant transition from interaction to mount and vice versa. It might be a lot of management, but the devs made it about as painless as it could be.

will be cool if say my raptor can use his claws or beak to open the SW chest farm without dismounting.

I also think there are too many mount/dismount. I am part of those having motion sickness , caused by two specific things: the way the raptor stops (side sliding) and at dismounting. I manage more or less OK by not watching in that instant, but of course, to have less dismounting would be a big help. And as said by someone before, when I see that I am in a zone where I will farm a lot, I chose to dismount and run rather than to mount/dismount all the time.

Yea swapping around the mounts is tiresome. Especially if playing with action camera mode. I have to hold down my unlock cursor from window hotkey, click the mount dropdown, select mount, release unlock cursor hotkey. Please just make holding down the mount hotkey bring up a selection wheel. I know you can hotkey each mount individually but I don't have that kind of hotkey real-estate to go around comfortably.

Mounting and dismounting appear to be among the primary triggers for mount-related motion sickness, due to the flash and the forced camera movement, so any way to alleviate that would be welcome. Talking to or shopping with NPCs or otherwise using their services (bank, TP), vista-viewing and channeling mastery points, at least, should not forcibly dismount us because that makes no sense. Using a crafting station is a different kettle of fish, but for the sake of convenience and not making people feel sick, I think it should be allowed, too, because it's not like our characters play any actual crafting animations like hammering on an anvil.

Gathering, ressing and object interaction are the cases where a forced dismount makes the most sense, partly because they do have animations, but unfortnately they're also what you do most of ...

I just feel so annoyed to have to dismount and mount again if I wanna switch mounts, which happens a lot between springer and raptor/jackal. Problem is you can't mount when you are in combat and you are always in combat coz these kitten mobs have large aggro range and wont leave you tf alone. There is also one champion fight where you have to fight it, then mount to use a special ability. I just couldnt get out of combat with my mirage because of clones or whatnot. They need to make switching mounts in one step without having to dismount first.

IMO the worst is when you are running on your mount through an area with enemies and stopping to gather would almost certainly put you in combat. So you can't mount again until you kill the nearby enemies. So you waste more time. Is this WoW? It feels like this is WoW or other mmos like it. ANet why you wanna waste my time?!

Talking and vistas maybe should not dismount you as they have no animations, but the rest have each their own animation.

> @"Wild Sister.7529" said:

> Don't use the dang thing for gathering or small distances or in cities. There is no use for it at those times. Like it is fun for others to see them everywhere.

I am picturing now someone mounting and dismounting before and after every node in every node farm.

> @"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:

> Too many things cause a dismount. We are having to remount CONSTANTLY. A non-exhaustive list:

> * Talking

> * Repairing

> * Shopping

> * Gathering

> * Vistas

> * Interacting with non-combat quest objects (ie water dispensers, bleached bones, carrots, etc.)

> * Resurrecting

> * Opening chests

> * Interacting with mastery points

>

> None of these (and this is not everything) are very rare. I checked my own key presses and X is now the most hit key IN THE ENTIRE GAME outside WASD-Space. We need to be able to do more mounted. The amount of extra clicking that is being generated is ludicrous.

Half of the things you wrote down happens during story or exploration and stop.

And I am talking about

1. Talking

2. Mastery

3. Vistas

The others most when in city, so once in 60 mins.

1. Repair

2. Shopping

What remains it's obvious that dismount you

1. Resurrect

2. Gathering

3. Opening chests

4. Interacting with obj

I can understand if you would like not to dismount for repair or sell/buy items, but not the rest.