Why do people take Guild reps so seriously

> @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

>

> How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> >

> > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

>

> They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> @"Gudy.3607" said:

> > @"Biff.5312" said:

> > I just joined a guild that requires you represent them 50% of the time minimum. The funny thing is, after two days almost continuously doing so, I spent literally 2 minutes on an alt that I hadn't turned on the guild title for and received a warning that I wasn't repping the guild sufficiently and would be booted if I didn't fix it.

> This. A thousand times this. I react poorly to social stress, and I do not need that kind of cow manure in my GW2 time. As such, I find guilds advertising their rep requirements immensely helpful - to me it's a clear indicator that I need to stay the heck away from them.

>

I see this stuff a lot. Unfortunately, guild repping is about to become hugely important with the changes to wvw that Anet has planned. In fact, with the exception of guilds that refuse to wvw at all, most guilds that do ANY wvw will require (and have to by design changes) that players rep. It will affect alliances, world populations and balance.

> @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > @"Gudy.3607" said:

> > > @"Biff.5312" said:

> > > I just joined a guild that requires you represent them 50% of the time minimum. The funny thing is, after two days almost continuously doing so, I spent literally 2 minutes on an alt that I hadn't turned on the guild title for and received a warning that I wasn't repping the guild sufficiently and would be booted if I didn't fix it.

> > This. A thousand times this. I react poorly to social stress, and I do not need that kind of cow manure in my GW2 time. As such, I find guilds advertising their rep requirements immensely helpful - to me it's a clear indicator that I need to stay the heck away from them.

> >

>

> I see this stuff a lot. Unfortunately, guild repping is about to become hugely important with the changes to wvw that Anet has planned. In fact, with the exception of guilds that refuse to wvw at all, most guilds that do ANY wvw will require (and have to by design changes) that players rep. It will affect alliances, world populations and balance.

False. The WvW guild selection is different from the guild you rep.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > >

> > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> >

> > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

>

> So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

>

> Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

>

> Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

> @"Cerioth.7062" said:

> > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > > @"Gudy.3607" said:

> > > > @"Biff.5312" said:

> > > > I just joined a guild that requires you represent them 50% of the time minimum. The funny thing is, after two days almost continuously doing so, I spent literally 2 minutes on an alt that I hadn't turned on the guild title for and received a warning that I wasn't repping the guild sufficiently and would be booted if I didn't fix it.

> > > This. A thousand times this. I react poorly to social stress, and I do not need that kind of cow manure in my GW2 time. As such, I find guilds advertising their rep requirements immensely helpful - to me it's a clear indicator that I need to stay the heck away from them.

> > >

> >

> > I see this stuff a lot. Unfortunately, guild repping is about to become hugely important with the changes to wvw that Anet has planned. In fact, with the exception of guilds that refuse to wvw at all, most guilds that do ANY wvw will require (and have to by design changes) that players rep. It will affect alliances, world populations and balance.

>

> False. The WvW guild selection is different from the guild you rep.

It's not false. I get what they have said and how it looks on paper (and how repping works). World will mean nothing, server will mean nothing, but guild will mean everything (alliance to some degree). Guilds will want good players, and will want people to see their guild and respect their guild, because that is how you successfully recruit. In order to get visibility those wvw guilds will likely start requiring people rep to make that guild more successful in the long run.

> @"Eater of Peeps.9062" said:

> > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > Sadly, some guilds do become a cliquish affair. I have my suspicions as to why, but voicing it would tailspin this thread. Regardless, yes, it may be best to remain neutral, but I promise you someone is going to take offense to it eventually. Honestly? It's part of the reason I remain guildless.

> >

> > Eventually, and this is only from my experience, but all guilds turn into a popularity contest . . . and I'm not interested in playing that game. I'm more interested in playing Guild Wars 2. :)

> >

> > Best of luck.

>

> Good luck in the new wvw system - you won't be playing at all as guilds will be the only way you can even enter/play.

Given how I don't WvW, I think I'll okay, but thank you for your concern. ?

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > >

> > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > >

> > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> >

> > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> >

> > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> >

> > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

>

> All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

Obviously if people are choosing to ignore the societal rules for a community from which they are seeking benefit then they are creating the unfriendly environment.

What is audacious is people joining a community if they are unwilling to abide by its standards. It is ridiculous that someone might have the audacity to join a group that predates them and expect the group, and all of its members change, giving up what they have always had, to accomodate him.

There is nothing about a guild asking members to rep that is capable, in any way, of impacting players who dont want to rep.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > >

> > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > >

> > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > >

> > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > >

> > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > >

> > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> >

> > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

>

> Obviously if people are choosing to ignore the societal rules for a community from which they are seeking benefit then they are creating the unfriendly environment.

>

> What is audacious is people joining a community if they are unwilling to abide by its standards. It is ridiculous that someone might have the audacity to join a group that predates them and expect the group, and all of its members change, giving up what they have always had, to accomodate him.

>

> There is nothing about a guild asking members to rep that is capable, in any way, of impacting players who dont want to rep.

Other then its authoritarian, off putting and dictatorial and the opposite of the spirit of gw2 which is that it is a friendly open environment, but hey their guild their rules amirite. Still dosen't change the fact that I find to be lacking in morality, sincerity or in the spirit of friendship and camaraderie.

Also the rules of that community are made-up, so they could easily just be unmade-up as well.

I can understand if you're joining them for GM's, raid's, fractal's etc, but the ones who want 100% representation even when no one in the guild does anything together, I tend to steer clear of. I want to be free to do certain activities with more than one guild and be able to represent whatever one I'm doing something with/whatever I want without being chained to one of them and forbidden from representing any other guilds. I was once kicked from a guild for not representing them for a mere 10 minutes.

> @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > @"Cerioth.7062" said:

> > > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > > > @"Gudy.3607" said:

> > > > > @"Biff.5312" said:

> > > > > I just joined a guild that requires you represent them 50% of the time minimum. The funny thing is, after two days almost continuously doing so, I spent literally 2 minutes on an alt that I hadn't turned on the guild title for and received a warning that I wasn't repping the guild sufficiently and would be booted if I didn't fix it.

> > > > This. A thousand times this. I react poorly to social stress, and I do not need that kind of cow manure in my GW2 time. As such, I find guilds advertising their rep requirements immensely helpful - to me it's a clear indicator that I need to stay the heck away from them.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I see this stuff a lot. Unfortunately, guild repping is about to become hugely important with the changes to wvw that Anet has planned. In fact, with the exception of guilds that refuse to wvw at all, most guilds that do ANY wvw will require (and have to by design changes) that players rep. It will affect alliances, world populations and balance.

> >

> > False. The WvW guild selection is different from the guild you rep.

>

> It's not false. I get what they have said and how it looks on paper (and how repping works). World will mean nothing, server will mean nothing, but guild will mean everything (alliance to some degree). Guilds will want good players, and will want people to see their guild and respect their guild, because that is how you successfully recruit. In order to get visibility those wvw guilds will likely start requiring people rep to make that guild more successful in the long run.

You need to read again and more carefully. WvW guild selection is a replacement for home world selection and this selection is still separate from representation. You will not be able to switch WvW guilds during a season by clicking a button, you will have to pay transfer fees just as you do now for home worlds. Regardless, WvW guilds already tend to expect representation while playing with their WvW team so nothing about that will actually change.

> @"Leablo.2651" said:

> > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > > @"Cerioth.7062" said:

> > > > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > > > > @"Gudy.3607" said:

> > > > > > @"Biff.5312" said:

> > > > > > I just joined a guild that requires you represent them 50% of the time minimum. The funny thing is, after two days almost continuously doing so, I spent literally 2 minutes on an alt that I hadn't turned on the guild title for and received a warning that I wasn't repping the guild sufficiently and would be booted if I didn't fix it.

> > > > > This. A thousand times this. I react poorly to social stress, and I do not need that kind of cow manure in my GW2 time. As such, I find guilds advertising their rep requirements immensely helpful - to me it's a clear indicator that I need to stay the heck away from them.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I see this stuff a lot. Unfortunately, guild repping is about to become hugely important with the changes to wvw that Anet has planned. In fact, with the exception of guilds that refuse to wvw at all, most guilds that do ANY wvw will require (and have to by design changes) that players rep. It will affect alliances, world populations and balance.

> > >

> > > False. The WvW guild selection is different from the guild you rep.

> >

> > It's not false. I get what they have said and how it looks on paper (and how repping works). World will mean nothing, server will mean nothing, but guild will mean everything (alliance to some degree). Guilds will want good players, and will want people to see their guild and respect their guild, because that is how you successfully recruit. In order to get visibility those wvw guilds will likely start requiring people rep to make that guild more successful in the long run.

>

> You need to read again and more carefully. WvW guild selection is a replacement for home world selection and this selection is still separate from representation. You will not be able to switch WvW guilds during a season by clicking a button, you will have to pay transfer fees just as you do now for home worlds. Regardless, WvW guilds already tend to expect representation while playing with their WvW team so nothing about that will actually change.

I know tons of people who only rep their wvw guild in wvw, just because of guild buffs and access to tactics, but rep any number of guilds outside of that (pve/pvp). Because it doesn't matter at the moment, since it is their "server" name that people would be joining based on reputation (people want to be on BG or Mag, etc). Most of them, their wvw guild doesn't care how they rep in pve because their "server" name carries recruitment (we are on Mag, people join if they can). All of the ones I have talked to are going to require 100% rep after the change, including pve/pvp, because at that point they will be relying on their "guild" name for recruitment.

They need their guild name and tag to be seen more often to show enough presence to successfully recruit.

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > > >

> > > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > > >

> > > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > > >

> > > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > > >

> > > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> > >

> > > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

> >

> > Obviously if people are choosing to ignore the societal rules for a community from which they are seeking benefit then they are creating the unfriendly environment.

> >

> > What is audacious is people joining a community if they are unwilling to abide by its standards. It is ridiculous that someone might have the audacity to join a group that predates them and expect the group, and all of its members change, giving up what they have always had, to accomodate him.

> >

> > There is nothing about a guild asking members to rep that is capable, in any way, of impacting players who dont want to rep.

>

> Other then its authoritarian, off putting and dictatorial and the opposite of the spirit of gw2 which is that it is a friendly open environment, but hey their guild their rules amirite. Still dosen't change the fact that I find to be lacking in morality, sincerity or in the spirit of friendship and camaraderie.

>

> Also the rules of that community are made-up, so they could easily just be unmade-up as well.

Authoritarian and dictatorial regimes involve imposing restrictions on others. This is not possible here.

I used to be a member of a classical music appreciation club. Would it be, in your opinion, appropriate for someone to join and insist to the existing members that it was now a punk rock appreciation group while blasting his favorite Ramones bootlegs?*

*disclaimer: I love the Ramones and am not speaking ill of their music specifically or punk rock in general.

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > > >

> > > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > > >

> > > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > > >

> > > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > > >

> > > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> > >

> > > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

> >

> > Obviously if people are choosing to ignore the societal rules for a community from which they are seeking benefit then they are creating the unfriendly environment.

> >

> > What is audacious is people joining a community if they are unwilling to abide by its standards. It is ridiculous that someone might have the audacity to join a group that predates them and expect the group, and all of its members change, giving up what they have always had, to accomodate him.

> >

> > There is nothing about a guild asking members to rep that is capable, in any way, of impacting players who dont want to rep.

>

> Other then its authoritarian, off putting and dictatorial and the opposite of the spirit of gw2 which is that it is a friendly open environment, but hey their guild their rules amirite. Still dosen't change the fact that I find to be lacking in morality, sincerity or in the spirit of friendship and camaraderie.

>

> Also the rules of that community are made-up, so they could easily just be unmade-up as well.

Authoritarian and dictatorial regimes involve imposing restrictions on others. This is not possible here.

I used to be a member of a classical music appreciation club. Would it be, in your opinion, appropriate for someone to join and insist to the existing members that it was now a punk rock appreciation group while blasting his favorite Ramones bootlegs?*

Oddly enough, you are the one advocating for authoritarian activity here. You are advocating for disallowing people from playing with their friends in the manner that they choose.

*disclaimer: I love the Ramones and am not speaking ill of their music specifically or punk rock in general.

> @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > @"Leablo.2651" said:

> > > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > > > @"Cerioth.7062" said:

> > > > > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > > > > > @"Gudy.3607" said:

> > > > > > > @"Biff.5312" said:

> > > > > > > I just joined a guild that requires you represent them 50% of the time minimum. The funny thing is, after two days almost continuously doing so, I spent literally 2 minutes on an alt that I hadn't turned on the guild title for and received a warning that I wasn't repping the guild sufficiently and would be booted if I didn't fix it.

> > > > > > This. A thousand times this. I react poorly to social stress, and I do not need that kind of cow manure in my GW2 time. As such, I find guilds advertising their rep requirements immensely helpful - to me it's a clear indicator that I need to stay the heck away from them.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I see this stuff a lot. Unfortunately, guild repping is about to become hugely important with the changes to wvw that Anet has planned. In fact, with the exception of guilds that refuse to wvw at all, most guilds that do ANY wvw will require (and have to by design changes) that players rep. It will affect alliances, world populations and balance.

> > > >

> > > > False. The WvW guild selection is different from the guild you rep.

> > >

> > > It's not false. I get what they have said and how it looks on paper (and how repping works). World will mean nothing, server will mean nothing, but guild will mean everything (alliance to some degree). Guilds will want good players, and will want people to see their guild and respect their guild, because that is how you successfully recruit. In order to get visibility those wvw guilds will likely start requiring people rep to make that guild more successful in the long run.

> >

> > You need to read again and more carefully. WvW guild selection is a replacement for home world selection and this selection is still separate from representation. You will not be able to switch WvW guilds during a season by clicking a button, you will have to pay transfer fees just as you do now for home worlds. Regardless, WvW guilds already tend to expect representation while playing with their WvW team so nothing about that will actually change.

>

> I know tons of people who only rep their wvw guild in wvw, just because of guild buffs and access to tactics, but rep any number of guilds outside of that (pve/pvp). Because it doesn't matter at the moment, since it is their "server" name that people would be joining based on reputation (people want to be on BG or Mag, etc). Most of them, their wvw guild doesn't care how they rep in pve because their "server" name carries recruitment (we are on Mag, people join if they can). All of the ones I have talked to are going to require 100% rep after the change, including pve/pvp, because at that point they will be relying on their "guild" name for recruitment.

> They need their guild name and tag to be seen more often to show enough presence to successfully recruit.

You do realize that "worlds" will still exist on a seasonal basis? Or did you miss that part of the announcement as well? Besides, if a guild is simply recruiting anyone who happens to be on their server, especially when they're a WvW guild and recruiting outside of WvW, then that's not a case of "guilds will want good players" that is "guilds just want to fill their roster" which is what leads to having a worthless guild with self-important leaders.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > > > >

> > > > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > > > >

> > > > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > > > >

> > > > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> > > >

> > > > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

> > >

> > > Obviously if people are choosing to ignore the societal rules for a community from which they are seeking benefit then they are creating the unfriendly environment.

> > >

> > > What is audacious is people joining a community if they are unwilling to abide by its standards. It is ridiculous that someone might have the audacity to join a group that predates them and expect the group, and all of its members change, giving up what they have always had, to accomodate him.

> > >

> > > There is nothing about a guild asking members to rep that is capable, in any way, of impacting players who dont want to rep.

> >

> > Other then its authoritarian, off putting and dictatorial and the opposite of the spirit of gw2 which is that it is a friendly open environment, but hey their guild their rules amirite. Still dosen't change the fact that I find to be lacking in morality, sincerity or in the spirit of friendship and camaraderie.

> >

> > Also the rules of that community are made-up, so they could easily just be unmade-up as well.

>

> Authoritarian and dictatorial regimes involve imposing restrictions on others. This is not possible here.

>

> I used to be a member of a classical music appreciation club. Would it be, in your opinion, appropriate for someone to join and insist to the existing members that it was now a punk rock appreciation group while blasting his favorite Ramones bootlegs?*

>

> Oddly enough, you are the one advocating for authoritarian activity here. You are advocating for disallowing people from playing with their friends in the manner that they choose.

>

> *disclaimer: I love the Ramones and am not speaking ill of their music specifically or punk rock in general.

No but imagine if the club required you to carry your instrument with you 24/7 even at home, seems a little unreasonable to me. Why make restrictions like that. I mean how you can you even play wvw or spvp and maybe join a guild oriented for those game modes, oh wait you can't, you have to rep that one guild, even though we have slots for 5 separate guilds. Likewise what if you're eating dinner at home, oh sorry better put that instrument on and rep you're band class even though it's an unrelated activity. And remember, it's all because they say so.

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > >

> > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > >

> > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> >

> > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> >

> > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> >

> > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

>

> All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

So, base on your logic, if gw2 is so nice, people wouldn't cheat and not have to be warned or told they can't cheat....

Obviously you don't think the same can be apply to gw2 as a whole, that's quite a double standard thinking.

> @"Leablo.2651" said:

> > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > > @"Leablo.2651" said:

> > > > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > > > > @"Cerioth.7062" said:

> > > > > > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > > > > > > @"Gudy.3607" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Biff.5312" said:

> > > > > > > > I just joined a guild that requires you represent them 50% of the time minimum. The funny thing is, after two days almost continuously doing so, I spent literally 2 minutes on an alt that I hadn't turned on the guild title for and received a warning that I wasn't repping the guild sufficiently and would be booted if I didn't fix it.

> > > > > > > This. A thousand times this. I react poorly to social stress, and I do not need that kind of cow manure in my GW2 time. As such, I find guilds advertising their rep requirements immensely helpful - to me it's a clear indicator that I need to stay the heck away from them.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I see this stuff a lot. Unfortunately, guild repping is about to become hugely important with the changes to wvw that Anet has planned. In fact, with the exception of guilds that refuse to wvw at all, most guilds that do ANY wvw will require (and have to by design changes) that players rep. It will affect alliances, world populations and balance.

> > > > >

> > > > > False. The WvW guild selection is different from the guild you rep.

> > > >

> > > > It's not false. I get what they have said and how it looks on paper (and how repping works). World will mean nothing, server will mean nothing, but guild will mean everything (alliance to some degree). Guilds will want good players, and will want people to see their guild and respect their guild, because that is how you successfully recruit. In order to get visibility those wvw guilds will likely start requiring people rep to make that guild more successful in the long run.

> > >

> > > You need to read again and more carefully. WvW guild selection is a replacement for home world selection and this selection is still separate from representation. You will not be able to switch WvW guilds during a season by clicking a button, you will have to pay transfer fees just as you do now for home worlds. Regardless, WvW guilds already tend to expect representation while playing with their WvW team so nothing about that will actually change.

> >

> > I know tons of people who only rep their wvw guild in wvw, just because of guild buffs and access to tactics, but rep any number of guilds outside of that (pve/pvp). Because it doesn't matter at the moment, since it is their "server" name that people would be joining based on reputation (people want to be on BG or Mag, etc). Most of them, their wvw guild doesn't care how they rep in pve because their "server" name carries recruitment (we are on Mag, people join if they can). All of the ones I have talked to are going to require 100% rep after the change, including pve/pvp, because at that point they will be relying on their "guild" name for recruitment.

> > They need their guild name and tag to be seen more often to show enough presence to successfully recruit.

>

> You do realize that "worlds" will still exist on a seasonal basis? Or did you miss that part of the announcement as well? Besides, if a guild is simply recruiting anyone who happens to be on their server, especially when they're a WvW guild and recruiting outside of WvW, then that's not a case of "guilds will want good players" that is "guilds just want to fill their roster" which is what leads to having a worthless guild with self-important leaders.

Off topic but then what do you think of WvW guilds that have lax rep requirement so they can recruit as many people as possible? Is it not the same as guilds just want to fill their roster to blob?

>

> Still dosen't change the fact that I find to be lacking in morality, sincerity or in the spirit of friendship and camaraderie.

You're right. Friendship and camaraderie cannot be enforced, not and remain what they are. What's ironic, though, is that what you're asking for is that someone (it's not clear to me whether you think ANet or guilds themselves should do this) should enforce "friendship" and "camaraderie" by making a rule that they cannot use the rep rule. Pot, meet kettle.

100% rep rule is a slap in the face for players with a storage guild. You have to rep that guild to access that storage therefore either you would be forever locked out of your storage guilds guild bank or you need to join a guild that has a 99% rep rule.

But seriously. As with any social interaction. Youre just going to go where it makes sense for you. If a guild wants to have a 100% reprule and cant see the point of not repping occasionally for whatever reason they automatically loose members. They might feel like they only keep active and contributing members, even if thats not always true.

Funnily enough, the most active members are the ones who like to join multiple guilds because they can communicate more easily outside of the one guild.

While guilds can set rules all they want, they will inadvertedly scare good active players away.

Let's be happy that they only complain about Rep and they don't pull a WoW and demand you have achievements or certain gear sets [i'll never forget how a guy from a big guild back when i played asked help for a Raid, yet he demanded that they had the achievement for it......when he himself didn't have it].

> @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > >

> > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > >

> > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > >

> > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > >

> > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > >

> > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> >

> > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

>

> So, base on your logic, if gw2 is so nice, people wouldn't cheat and not have to be warned or told they can't cheat....

>

> Obviously you don't think the same can be apply to gw2 as a whole, that's quite a double standard thinking.

So not repping a guild is akin to malicious behavior like cheating? And players not repping a guild need to be reined in otherwise they are malicious? This makes no sense.