Just give us scythes (and other weapons) already! Please?

I know it will probably never happen, and it's probably too late for this to happen since they've began giving us faux scythes. I know that this is a much requested feature and perhaps we can generate some renewed attention. The new scythe skin is nice, and after all we already have scythe-wielding-dervish wandering around Istan. Why can't our players learn the proper ways of using a real scythe instead of some cheap knock off. With the likely addition of new specializations coming in the next distant xpac, I would sincerely hope/wish/beg (whatever they'd like) that they add some new weapon types.

I already know the biggest "limitation". They would have to go and rework all the weapon sets and add the new weapon. Well, I feel that most of the community would be OK with it if they didn't. Unless there's some extreme OCD, I think life in Tyria would still go on just fine. Most current weapons sets exclude new underwater weapons anyhow making sets incomplete already. Speaking of which, if they wanted too they could recycle the already existing and diverse assets of the underused underwater weapons. They could always add land spears, (like some NPCs in Istan figured out) make harpoon guns look like crossbows, and make tridents behave like pole arms. Pole arms are a naturally diverse category and a scythe (while not an exact fit) fits nicer there than as a staff. I also realize that spears and pole arms too have many parallels, but hey this isn't going to be perfect!

I know this is nothing new, but I'd like to not see this topic go quietly into the night. I'd rather do it now, then later, because whenever new specializations debut, there will be a lot of this. Then it will be too late, and we will just have to cross our fingers again.

> @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> Scythes have been mixed into staves, even sharing skins. I think there's potential for dervish and paragon as elite specs though.

I wonder if dervish would be a Revenant Spec, and Paragon a Guard spec.

Adding a whole new class now might be tough as it would likely be the only one without two elite specs.

I could see them adding a new race first.. Maybe....

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> Problem is that Staff is already used similarly to the old Scythes by both Revenant and Thief. It has replaced it in form _and_ function.

I get it, I truly do. They can equip a staff, but change animations for how it's used and it'll pass. Staff skins pass as scythes have been established setting the standard.

BUT

I think how out of place you take that scythe or spear looking staff skin and place it in the hands of another staff wielding profession outweighs this. It looks totally cool if you place Darkspear, Lightward's Battle staff, Oblivion, or any of the other few scythe skins on your class. They are awesome looking skins, but IMO they should also look like they are being used correctly. It's kind of like the backwards Dragon Kama skin they released. It's an awesome looking skin, but then seems ridiculous the way the character holds it. I know this is entirely cosmetic, but to me the animation should match the function of the weapon. Of course, in this game it's not like you can see much with the light show you get in zergs.

There are only a few staff skins right now pretending to be another weapon. As they release more the problem will just compound. Seems to me splitting the staff into another weapon type addresses this plus opening up further opportunity in the future. Imagine if they made an elite spec someday where an ele or necro could use scythe; a guard or warrior using a land spear. That is way cooler than what they are aiming for now.

Dressing up your Mesmer/Ele/Guard/etc... as a Dervish and giving him a scythe does not make him a dervish. Without the whirling animations and other skill set, it's still just another class pretending to be a Dervish. To me this isn't about having a "pure Dervish" character, but expanding the current weapon set and allowing for greater future diversity.

> @"Kythan Myr.4719" said:

> > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > Problem is that Staff is already used similarly to the old Scythes by both Revenant and Thief. It has replaced it in form _and_ function.

>

> I get it, I truly do. They can equip a staff, but change animations for how it's used and it'll pass. Staff skins pass as scythes have been established setting the standard.

>

> BUT

>

> I think how out of place you take that scythe or spear looking staff skin and place it in the hands of another staff wielding profession outweighs this. It looks totally cool if you place Darkspear, Lightward's Battle staff, Oblivion, or any of the other few scythe skins on your class. They are awesome looking skins, but IMO they should also look like they are being used correctly. It's kind of like the backwards Dragon Kama skin they released. It's an awesome looking skin, but then seems ridiculous the way the character holds it. I know this is entirely cosmetic, but to me the animation should match the function of the weapon. Of course, in this game it's not like you can see much with the light show you get in zergs.

>

> There are only a few staff skins right now pretending to be another weapon. As they release more the problem will just compound. Seems to me splitting the staff into another weapon type addresses this plus opening up further opportunity in the future. Imagine if they made an elite spec someday where an ele or necro could use scythe; a guard or warrior using a land spear. That is way cooler than what they are aiming for now.

>

> Dressing up your Mesmer/Ele/Guard/etc... as a Dervish and giving him a scythe does not make him a dervish. Without the whirling animations and other skill set, it's still just another class pretending to be a Dervish. To me this isn't about having a "pure Dervish" character, but expanding the current weapon set and allowing for greater future diversity.

Have you seen a necro wielding the new scythe? They have the whole whirling animations going on.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > Scythes have been mixed into staves, even sharing skins. I think there's potential for dervish and paragon as elite specs though.

>

> I wonder if dervish would be a Revenant Spec, and Paragon a Guard spec.

>

> Adding a whole new class now might be tough as it would likely be the only one without two elite specs.

>

> I could see them adding a new race first.. Maybe....

It'd be easier to make dervish and paragon into elite specs for sure. We see sandbinders in a fractal and the newest living world chapter so I can see that maybe being an elementalist spec... Not sure what other classes would get.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > Scythes have been mixed into staves, even sharing skins. I think there's potential for dervish and paragon as elite specs though.

>

> I wonder if dervish would be a Revenant Spec, and Paragon a Guard spec.

>

> Adding a whole new class now might be tough as it would likely be the only one without two elite specs.

>

> I could see them adding a new race first.. Maybe....

I can't see any of that happening as we'll most likely be leaving Elona with the next expansion and those are both very Elonian specs.

I can't see them ever adding another class or race for a multitude of reasons.

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> Problem is that Staff is already used similarly to the old Scythes by both Revenant and Thief. It has replaced it in form _and_ function.

Exactly this. Maybe in the earlier days of GW2 a scythe weapon was possible but with HoT came the introduction of melee staff through Reaper, Daredevil, and Revenant.

At this point a scythe class like Dervish will most likely be an espec with a scythe skin for the staff.

I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping for the 2 most requested and beloved professions to become upcoming Elite specs ft. ''staff'' weapons, aka Scythes and Spear skins.

Warrior can use the Staff for our 3rd expansion, using the Spear skins for throwing just like Paragon used to do.

Not sure which profession could take Dervish but that elite spec can also use similar how Daredevil and Rev uses their staff stance.

> @"Nath Forge Tempete.1645" said:

> Honestly I would feel kinda strange to just get elite spec from dervish and paragon ! they were entire and stand alonde classes in GW1 ... It would be such a loss to only get them as elite spec ... Just my point of view

Agreed with you 100%, I hoped back then when ANet were revealing our core professions I had my hopes for Ritualist, Dervish, Paragon and the real Assassin to make it!

But nowadays we can no longer hope for new professions, I doubt ANet are even going that way again sadly, the Revenant is a good example how rushed and uncompleted that profession is.

The only way we can hope for Dervish and Paragon to become playable is for our 3rd expansion's elite specs, but who knows really, ANet really likes to give us the middle finger upon requests and suggestions like this, :(

_(The way they literally gave the Loyalist Istan Paragons and Dervishs but not playable to us or the way they made Spears and Scythes into Staff skins..... :angry:)_

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> > @"Nath Forge Tempete.1645" said:

> > Honestly I would feel kinda strange to just get elite spec from dervish and paragon ! they were entire and stand alonde classes in GW1 ... It would be such a loss to only get them as elite spec ... Just my point of view

>

> Agreed with you 100%, I hoped back then when ANet were revealing our core professions I had my hopes for Ritualist, Dervish, Paragon and the real Assassin to make it!

> But nowadays we can no longer hope for new professions, I doubt ANet are even going that way again sadly, the Revenant is a good example how rushed and uncompleted that profession is.

>

> The only way we can hope for Dervish and Paragon to become playable is for our 3rd expansion's elite specs, but who knows really, ANet really likes to give us the middle finger upon requests and suggestions like this, :(

> _(The way they literally gave the Loyalist Istan Paragons and Dervishs but not playable to us or the way they made Spears and Scythes into Staff skins..... :angry:)_

Depends what the direction and marketing team will decide to keep ppl come (and keep playing) to the game. Adding new professions could be a commercial decision to do that. But dervish and parangan could be interesting cause they are non commun classes in other MMOs. Being different is what makes ppl addicted to this game (on its early years atleast) so why not hoping for a big surprise there

Revenants, for all intents and purposes, _are_ dervishes. They just channel the power of race-neutral legendary figures instead of human-specific gods. They even get melee staves.

Also, there's not really a niche for scythes as a standalone weapon, greatswords (and melee staves) fill the "two-hander with big sweeping attacks" role, and their signature thing (cleaving attacks) is just a baseline melee weapon thing in GW2.