Okay, lets talk about Tihark Orchard

Let's say they don't eat, a kitchen doesn't not necessarily have to be for cooking food. That might very well be a alchemy or potions station. It can also develop any number of magical items the awakened have at their disposal. Just imagine how many items are made via a cauldron.

Also, they might very well need some sort of food or subsistence to "survive", and maybe they want it prepared well. We shouldn't be so quick to judge them based on appearance. Let's take a moment to live in their shoes, or should I say *die* in them.

Well now I need to know, do they eat? Do they need to eat? Can they even eat? Am I just really that judgmental against the awakened that I can't see that they're people too?

And there are clearly potatoes and apples there, I don't know any alchemical precipices that use those. Also in Vabbi there's a renown heart where you're catching the organs of the recently awakened - only the heart and brain are left in the body, the rest are stored in canopic jars, so it makes no sense that they'd need to eat.

> @"Ashwynn.1654" said:

> - only the heart and brain are left in the body, the rest are stored in canopic jars, so it makes no sense that they'd need to eat.

Incorrect. The heart and brain both survive on calories. Without calories, the heart has no energy to pump as it's a muscle. And the brain relies on caloric intake including glucose, via carbohydrates. So, in both cases it would need sustenance and caloric intake.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Ashwynn.1654" said:

> > - only the heart and brain are left in the body, the rest are stored in canopic jars, so it makes no sense that they'd need to eat.

>

> Incorrect. The heart and brain both survive on calories. Without calories, the heart has no energy to pump as it's a muscle. And the brain relies on caloric intake including glucose, via carbohydrates. So, in both cases it would need sustenance and caloric intake.

Maybe they meant it more like "it makes no sense to remove all their internal organs if they need to eat".

I mean, if they take out the liver, stomach and intestines then I think it's reasonable to assume that they don't need to eat. Or at least not apples and potatoes.

The awakened do serve the living, although I don't think I'd want them _cooking_ for me... for hygiene reasons, mainly.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Ashwynn.1654" said:

> > > - only the heart and brain are left in the body, the rest are stored in canopic jars, so it makes no sense that they'd need to eat.

> >

> > Incorrect. The heart and brain both survive on calories. Without calories, the heart has no energy to pump as it's a muscle. And the brain relies on caloric intake including glucose, via carbohydrates. So, in both cases it would need sustenance and caloric intake.

>

> Maybe they meant it more like "it makes no sense to remove all their internal organs if they need to eat".

>

> I mean, if they take out the liver, stomach and intestines then I think it's reasonable to assume that they don't need to eat. Or at least not apples and potatoes.

>

> The awakened do serve the living, although I don't think I'd want them _cooking_ for me... for hygiene reasons, mainly.

Who says 'dead' = diseased or dirty? They could be fairly sanitary. :joy:

The brains being retained makes no sense as they are effectively slaves to Joko.

But, caloric absorption could be done immediately.

The question is if they are just permanent minions 'summoned' by Joko, or actual beings.

I'm 90% sure most Awakened are mummified - meaning most of their organs (including those necessary to process food or drink) have been removed.

That being said, Awakened can also become drunk (LS4 Ep1), so it's reasonable to assume they have some sort of function that can process what they intake. It's also possible they might be cooking for human relatives, since Awakened and Humans do live side by side. Hell, it's even possible they are simply cooking for the joy of it.