PVE: Is the "glass cannon" declining/going to diminish in popularity?

Elva.6372

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> Sorry for those reading my posts more often, I have tried to explain it before.

> In any game, to be successful you need to do two things.

> 1: survive

> 2: win as quickly as possible

>

> Know number two is debatable, but consensus is that people play to gain ingame gold, are working on personal projects or just like to be very efficiently. You might prefer a different approach and within guilds this is possible. But for the rest his is the consensus.

>

> Survival is a yes no conditional situation. You either do or do not. If you don’t, you are lost,

> In most game formats in gw2, it is perfectly possible to survive without any effort from your build and stats. So in short, you always meet this conditional situation and you have done a good job,

>

> As for winning as quickly as possible. There is no conditional situation. The more the better.

>

> So in short. You can always survive and there is no such thing as too much dps. That’s why zerker is so popular in pve.

>

> What has changed is that raids and high tier fractals have been added where survivability is not guaranteed. So you need dedicated roles to do this. The elite specs you ar talking about have been added in support of this (and not to counter the zerker). It is also only in those formats that these specializations are appreciated and valued, outside people play different toons or respec.

I know this but how gameplay in MMORPGs in dungeon/raids usually goes is you do damage at the boss and you have some support classes like tank or healer and then you doing some events how many how much is very different. In games with a equip spiral like WOW boss events become skipable here in GW 2 some T4 fractal events(or higher) become skipable or able to overheal thanks to the new specialization traits and group synergy. In general I think the game needs a new balance when I look at wvw and pvp some class traits have too much dps in compare to others besides some general problems like how boring wvw zergs are when 50 vs 50 clash. (I do it all at the moment wvw , pvp T4 )

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"EpicName.4523" said:

> Imho Marauder>Berserker in open world. I prefer to live just a tiny bit longer instead of dying after something sneezes at me.

I used to share this sentiment, but not anymore. The extra hp is just unnecessary. It can be helpful when you're learning your class, but that's all. Zerk is strictly better, tho if you care about being optimal in the open world (for some reason) you should probably pick Assassin's instead so you can hit 100% crit on your own. Depends on the build/class obviously.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"EpicName.4523" said:

> > Imho Marauder>Berserker in open world. I prefer to live just a tiny bit longer instead of dying after something sneezes at me.

>

> I used to share this sentiment, but not anymore. The extra hp is just unnecessary. It can be helpful when you're learning your class, but that's all. Zerk is strictly better, tho if you care about being optimal in the open world (for some reason) you should probably pick Assassin's instead so you can hit 100% crit on your own. Depends on the build/class obviously.

Not everyone plays at the same skill level, and not everybody has the same definition of necessary/unnecessary. I can say quite factually that I've accomplished much more and died a lot less since I crafted ascended Marauder's. Besides, somebody has to be left standing to rez the glass cannons after a boss fight.

For open world, at least when it comes to zerg events, I'd probably prefer marauder. I'm sure the extra HP help against the random oneshots from champs or elites you don't see among all the clusterfuck. But that's no reason to get another set of trinkets, so I'll stick to berserker. Sufficient to be more useful than about half of the zerg even when I'm alive for just a quarter of the fight.

> @"Etterwyn.5263" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"EpicName.4523" said:

> > > Imho Marauder>Berserker in open world. I prefer to live just a tiny bit longer instead of dying after something sneezes at me.

> >

> > I used to share this sentiment, but not anymore. The extra hp is just unnecessary. It can be helpful when you're learning your class, but that's all. Zerk is strictly better, tho if you care about being optimal in the open world (for some reason) you should probably pick Assassin's instead so you can hit 100% crit on your own. Depends on the build/class obviously.

>

> Not everyone plays at the same skill level, and not everybody has the same definition of necessary/unnecessary. I can say quite factually that I've accomplished much more and died a lot less since I crafted ascended Marauder's. Besides, somebody has to be left standing to rez the glass cannons after a boss fight.

Like I said, I used to think that. Yeah, Marauder felt better. Yeah, I've used much the same arguments. But no, I don't any more.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"Etterwyn.5263" said:

> > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > @"EpicName.4523" said:

> > > > Imho Marauder>Berserker in open world. I prefer to live just a tiny bit longer instead of dying after something sneezes at me.

> > >

> > > I used to share this sentiment, but not anymore. The extra hp is just unnecessary. It can be helpful when you're learning your class, but that's all. Zerk is strictly better, tho if you care about being optimal in the open world (for some reason) you should probably pick Assassin's instead so you can hit 100% crit on your own. Depends on the build/class obviously.

> >

> > Not everyone plays at the same skill level, and not everybody has the same definition of necessary/unnecessary. I can say quite factually that I've accomplished much more and died a lot less since I crafted ascended Marauder's. Besides, somebody has to be left standing to rez the glass cannons after a boss fight.

>

> Like I said, I used to think that. Yeah, Marauder felt better. Yeah, I've used much the same arguments. But no, I don't any more.

Some people are better than video games than others. That's why I love in GW2 people can play content that fits their ability ceiling, and can also choose stats that fit their ability ceiling. Some of us can gear up meta stats and watch rotation videos until our eyes bleed, but still can't come close to replicating those numbers. My brain-to-hand highway is so full of potholes that I cannot use WASD + numbers to move and act in video games (yes I'm one of those dreaded "skill clickers"). Heck, I couldn't even pull off a combo in Street Fighter 2 that required more than 2 button presses and that was over 20 years ago. I love to play video games... I'm just no good at them.

> @"Etterwyn.5263" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"Etterwyn.5263" said:

> > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > > @"EpicName.4523" said:

> > > > > Imho Marauder>Berserker in open world. I prefer to live just a tiny bit longer instead of dying after something sneezes at me.

> > > >

> > > > I used to share this sentiment, but not anymore. The extra hp is just unnecessary. It can be helpful when you're learning your class, but that's all. Zerk is strictly better, tho if you care about being optimal in the open world (for some reason) you should probably pick Assassin's instead so you can hit 100% crit on your own. Depends on the build/class obviously.

> > >

> > > Not everyone plays at the same skill level, and not everybody has the same definition of necessary/unnecessary. I can say quite factually that I've accomplished much more and died a lot less since I crafted ascended Marauder's. Besides, somebody has to be left standing to rez the glass cannons after a boss fight.

> >

> > Like I said, I used to think that. Yeah, Marauder felt better. Yeah, I've used much the same arguments. But no, I don't any more.

>

> Some people are better than video games than others. That's why I love in GW2 people can play content that fits their ability ceiling, and can also choose stats that fit their ability ceiling. Some of us can gear up meta stats and watch rotation videos until our eyes bleed, but still can't come close to replicating those numbers. My brain-to-hand highway is so full of potholes that I cannot use WASD + numbers to move and act in video games (yes I'm one of those dreaded "skill clickers"). Heck, I couldn't even pull off a combo in Street Fighter 2 that required more than 2 button presses and that was over 20 years ago. I love to play video games... I'm just no good at them.

This only makes safer choices like Marauder better suited to your particular needs. My comment was addressing a post which claimed it is better overall (implying for everyone) in the open world.

Slightly off topic, but speaking of active defences; I wish certain conditions and CCs work more against boss encounters then they currently do.

Like weakness, blinds, and certain snares could be so much more useful then what they are now (breaker bar fodder). I can understand how they would trivialize some encounters, but then we have protection, blocks and other such mechanics basically doing the same thing. Which makes the professions that able to do all that way more valuably. Completely unfair IMO!

But that’s my little rant.

Back on topic

The opinion of a lot of players is that anyone not using glassy gear hasn’t really learn the game or a certain mechanic completely yet. Not to offend anyone, because you might think you do, but going through the game in full zerk vs a mixture of def stats is a different experience.

A tanky person can afford to be more relax than say a berserker elementalist. They will die to almost anything, but with proper rotations and timings, can out live a maxed out vit and toughness warrior.

A person dying in squishy gear can always get better at not dying, but there is only so much damage a person in a defensive set can do.

That being said, sometimes I like to be alittle lazy. I’ll slap on some vit gear and go on cruise control for a bit, and a lot of content will catered to that.

CC conditions being break bar fodder is the most reasonable thing they could do. Otherwise, blind would negate any boss attack (since any 5+ group will have quite a few blinds to throw around), cripple/chill/immob would screw up any desired movement of the boss (they're applied passively far too frequently) and weakness would either be pointless or lead to highly unpredictable damage output.

> @"CptAurellian.9537" said:

> CC conditions being break bar fodder is the most reasonable thing they could do. Otherwise, blind would negate any boss attack (since any 5+ group will have quite a few blinds to throw around), cripple/chill/immob would screw up any desired movement of the boss (they're applied passively far too frequently) and weakness would either be pointless or lead to highly unpredictable damage output.

I understand that much, it just that

I feel that boss encounter could be designed better to incorporate those mechanics.

If you want effects like Blind, Cripple, Weakness, etc. to be interesting you probably want fights with adds. Crowd controlling certain adds like Sparks on VG can be helpful.

Fights designed to heavily reward controlling skills like that could actually be very good for encouraging certain classes which might otherwise not be particularly relevant like Necromancers.

That’s one solution I came up with so far, I always thought a horde mode type dungeon would work well with this game. And would offer different types of builds and allow different professions a chance to shine.

Open world metas like dragon stand sort of does that, but the point sort of gets lost in the middle of Zerg that floods those maps.