HOW do you think new underwater combat will work?

> @"Conncept.7638" said:

> I'm betting (fearing really) that we are going to see a bunch of number tweaks and add-ons (new conditions added to abilities, more or possibly all skills available underwater), maybe sped up movement, but that the only big changes are going to be fixing underwater targeting and skillshots, which isn't going to be enough, especially because underwater combats larger problem isn't how you fight, it's how clunky and awkard you move.

it might have something to do with the addition of mounts to the game since they move differently, anet might recycle a code to make the water feel more realistic.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's going to be a huge rework. I think some skills will be able to be used underwater that weren't before and some number adjustments but not much else.

Who knows though. ThatShaman datamined a couple things called "water walk" and "deep dive" or something so who knows, we may start walking under water instead of swimming. It would be similar to how WoW did their underwater content in Cataclysm.

I don't really mind the way underwater combat is now, it's just how long it takes to kill things at times, the amount of kiting you have to do, and the fact that many abilities are locked out.

People are taking this as concrete proof that we're getting an underwater expansion but I don't know why people keep insisting that we have to fight the deep sea dragon IN the sea. It could easily surface or be in some dark cavern somewhere underneath the ocean for all we know.

I do however believe that we will be getting a revamped Aquatic fractal and potentially some underwater content in the next living story episode though. Don't think it will be an entire map.

> @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> I don't think it's going to be a huge rework. I think some skills will be able to be used underwater that weren't before and some number adjustments but not much else.

> Who knows though. ThatShaman datamined a couple things called "water walk" and "deep dive" or something so who knows, we may start walking under water instead of swimming. It would be similar to how WoW did their underwater content in Cataclysm.

>

> I don't really mind the way underwater combat is now, it's just how long it takes to kill things at times, the amount of kiting you have to do, and the fact that many abilities are locked out.

>

> People are taking this as concrete proof that we're getting an underwater expansion but I don't know why people keep insisting that we have to fight the deep sea dragon IN the sea. It could easily surface or be in some dark cavern somewhere underneath the ocean for all we know.

>

> I do however believe that we will be getting a revamped Aquatic fractal and potentially some underwater content in the next living story episode though. Don't think it will be an entire map.

>

Sonds to me more like ternms for possible Underwater Masteries,

Water Walking for making it possible for us to walk underwater normally and move around, like on land ... or to actually walk on water ( lol like Jesus xD, sorry, had to ^^) and be able to run on it.. but i think this would make Skimmers obsolete, so option one makes more sense to becoem able to walk and run underwater like on land, what could be a way to change underwater combat ...

Deep Dive sounds to me simply like a Diving Mastery which enables us to dive deeper than usual , like kind of Apnoe Divers can do that by having mastered that kind of deep diving technique, so that we will be able to explore this way deeper and darker underwater territories, which you ould be able to reach without that mastery, because if you dive too deep, without having mastered that technique, you are gong to die literalyl from water pressure destroying your lungs ...

In this patch I think realistically they are only going to balance underwater dmg numbers else there will be more work done than in a regular balance patch for PvE/PvP. The classes that have transformations I think work the best UW right now because they dont have to rely on their UW weapon like necro/holo/firebrand. So many skills also dont work UW but I doubt they have the time to revamp them in a patch. If they were planning on an UW expansion that prob be the best time to overhaul mechanics/ get the animations to fit etc. Less will be done than what some seem to think imo.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> it's a balance patch and not a complete rework. so exactly the same with better skills

Which is really all it needs. The "problem" with underwater combat is mostly in front of the monitor, rather than behind it. Just look at how many people don't even bother to have max level underwater weapons or a breather with their rune of choice in it.

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > it's a balance patch and not a complete rework. so exactly the same with better skills

> Which is really all it needs. The "problem" with underwater combat is mostly in front of the monitor, rather than behind it. Just look at how many people don't even bother to have max level underwater weapons or a breather with their rune of choice in it.

Why would they bother? Both underwater combat and content is relatively rare and uninteresting. I recently realised that my otherwise fully ascended equipped main still had two level 78 exotic underwater weapons with completely different stats and only one sigil each but that's ok as I've hardly spent any time underwater with him since I finished map completion.

HoT and PoF have practically no underwater content and now that PoF has given us the skimmer and the ability to quickly move over the surface I see myself on spending even less time underwater, this balance patch probably won't change that. Even if they somehow made underwater combat amazing the content just isn't there.

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> I honestly don't see what's bad about it now. The only issue I have is that sometimes it's hard to guage the distance of something I'm attacking.

Have you really ever played underwater combat to not realize its baltantly not overviewable problems of design that this part of the game has?

Do you not find it bad, that all classes lose up to like over half of their Build Divesity the moment they touch water, because of so many Skills in this Game and Class Mechanics being not useable in water, that it completely cripples down classes to become completely useless there, like the Thief, to the point, that garbage like the revenant, becomes there even much more useless garbage, because of its incredible terrible class design mechanics that were absolutely not thought out at all, what is unevitably the result of if, if you try too die hard to make outof a class something "unique" just for the intention and hope, that it will increase this way most likely HoT sales, instead of designign a class with mechanics, that make more sense, that work also everywhere in the game without putting the whole class massively in disadvantage, even much more, than Thieves, making this black sheep of a class design look even more black there and like a stillbirth of a class design.

Do you not find it bad, that this game offers for all classes for its combat system and underwater combat specifically own underwater traits, which are designed for the classes and their underwater combat styles, so that there can exist the same build diversity, the game is offering for land combat for underwater combat as well too?

Do you not find it bad, that this game provides such an extreme boring underwater combat experience, due to there existing just only 3 useable weapons, from which are two weapon types if you look closer to them, based on how anet is handling WEAPON SKINS in their own game completely obsolete? Especially in context, when there could exist asily same as much intterstign combats underwater, if ANet would add more useable weapons for UW combat. You can easily fight underwater with Daggers, Swords, Maces, Axes, Shields, Warhorns, Foci and even also Torches!! (Magnesium Fire burns underwater!!!!) to make this way underwater battles more interestign and fun, than to see everybody use only Spears, Harpoon Guns and Tridents, when in fact two of these weapon types are nothign more and nothing less, but just a Rifle shooting Bolts and basically a tree pointy staff/polearm..so theoretically Tridents coudl also just get merged with Spears/but skin wise it makes more sense with Staves, cause they share with them skins already and are used in the game for magical weapon skills, not physical attacks like as with the Spear ...

Do you not find bad, that you despite you mentioning already the distance issues, also have underwater a hard time, telling from where you get attacked and that alot of the underwater skills are totally unbalanced? ANet has done since 2012 NOT A SINGLE BALANCE CHANGE effectively on the underwater combat skills.

At least I can not remember anything they have done about them to make sure, that underwater combat feels becoming more fun for everybody again, like for example fixing the massively overpowered rallying of downed rangers and their ridiculous pets which can rally them guaranteedly, without you being able anyhow at all to stop their stupid pets from reviving them, cause as like describe,d the moment they rally their masters, you suddendly can't attack them anymore, you can't cc them anymore, even not with AoEs.. and they rally much more efficently over time, just like players, but just faster and stronger to the poin,t that they can easily outheal the damage of multiple players attacking the downed ranger and the pet outhealing them easily!!! thats not normal, but sadly the situation for 6 years and needs to get finally nerfed.

No other class has in underwater combat such an extreme overpowwered guaranteed rally mechanic, like them, that it gets abused by ranger players constantly so much in WvW that they try to flee into water combat, if they can, cause they know, there they will most likely not get killed at all as long they don't get overwhelmed by a full zerg, cause of their pets being able to easily outheal 2-3 players eventually, that it feels more like a waste of time to try to kill that downed ranger, than to go search for a target that is easier and quicker to kill in that time, that it takes you to overtake a downed ranger who gets too strongly healed by its uninterruptable, untargetable pets...

Agaisnt all of this is just being sometimes unable to realize the distances between you and your target enemy really the tinyest problem of underwater combat in my personal opinion.

> @"Orpheal.8263" said:

> > @"Biff.5312" said:

> > I honestly don't see what's bad about it now. The only issue I have is that sometimes it's hard to guage the distance of something I'm attacking.

>

> Have you really ever played underwater combat to not realize its baltantly not overviewable problems of design that this part of the game has?

That's not even a sentence.

Anyway, no I've never had a problem with underwater combat. I've never found that any of my toons of any class were not able to manage. Not all of your skills SHOULD work underwater, just as in real life you can't move freely underwater. As I said - I personally don't see what's bad about it now.

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> I hope that they will really boost damages! I feel so weak with my engineer and his harpoon not even talked about my weaver! Perfect on ground but underwater...

> I'm very Intrigued and impatient to see how they will fix the underwater fights! And if it definitely change our life, maybe thinking about more underwater maps.

> And if underwater is still kitten after that, then thinks about another way to create underwater maps like "simulating" water, basically the whole map is underwater, but you aren't swimming: You are stuck on the sea floor, walking but have a low gravity effect... So you can still use your on-ground skills.

Are you kidding go grenades and breeze through on your engi mate.

depend on your playstyle, I hate grenades and will never use them. Hopefully Photon forge make it less weak, here I'm only speaking about harpoon skills not utilities or elites. So yes, engie is weak as any others underwater.