[Suggestion] Smarter Character Model Culling

Could we get some "smarter" character model culling? The culling is great for keeping a good framerate, but I feel like it should never cull the following:

* Commanders

* Targeted Model

* Marked Models (Star, Arrow, Circle, etc.)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > You could always just turn off culling all together and then your problem is solved...unless I suppose your system can't handle it.

>

> I would guess that most people's systems have to choose between more culling or better GFX. I choose graphics every time

Probably, I'm lucky that mine manages both...but then I bought a stock Alienware Aurora R6(though I probably could have built one with those specs for a lot less, just don't have the time).

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> You could always just turn off culling all together and then your problem is solved...unless I suppose your system can't handle it.

I don't think anyone's system can handle max graphics without culling to some degree.

But even if a system _could_ handle it, the visual noise would be off the charts. The game becomes unreadable.

> @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > You could always just turn off culling all together and then your problem is solved...unless I suppose your system can't handle it.

>

> I don't think anyone's system can handle max graphics without culling to some degree.

>

> But even if a system _could_ handle it, the visual noise would be off the charts. The game becomes unreadable.

There are systems that can handle it...as I mentioned in my prior response to Ill, mine certainly does, when I got it it automatically set everything to max settings, and has stayed there ever since...as for visual noise, I don't notice it, but then I'm odd like that, none of it bothers me(and I have epilepsy as well, but I'm don't react to light, my eyes are just sensitive to bright lights and my pupils are always dilated).

What I'd prefer to the current character model settings is 2 or 3 separate settings for culling - those being (at least):

* Player Character Model Limit

* Enemy Model Limit

* NPC Model Limit

I care a lot about seeing hostiles and NPCs. I don't give a hoot about the pony-wielding thief next to me (who isn't in my party or squad).

Even though my PC would be powerful enough to handle everything going on on my screen character-model wise I choose to set the character model limit to low, so I only see people in my party/close to my char/I've currently selected.

For WvW (but could also make sense for open world PvE) I'd even want settings as granular as choosing which skill effects I see (all from enemy, friendly skill effects only from party, subsquad, squad - in this order/priority). One can still dream, right?

I'm also still waiting for that option to reenable the old skill effects client-side (like Ele's old Auras, Eruption, Churning Earth etc.). Still don't get how skills like these were "too much clutter" but shiny infusions, outfits, gliders, mounts, etc. are OK...

However, regardless if you are playing on a toaster or a full grown "high-end" gaming PC -> giving more options and therefore giving each player the choice what he/she wants to see doesn't hurt anyone - especially with the increasing level of clutter/blingbling going on.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that for model quality, I'd like granular options for each category as well. My characters shine a lot as well, and I'd like to see them in all their glory even when I choose to cull other players (and maybe even reduce effects on them). :)