Flag DPS-Meter user in the game

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> I hate my DPS being measured by others as much as reviving DPS-fixated people. I would like to exclude them from joining my parties as I like to stay away from their parties.

> With the hacker-ban wave ANet has shown that it can easily recognize such users of third-party software.

>

> I propose that DPS-Meter user are flagged as such easy visible in game, and that LFG-tool allows you to set a flag that keeps such people out from joining your party.

>

> Mainly I want a flag like on the google glasses: This person is recording my behavior and violating my privacy.

I just started using a dps meter and think it's really cool having easy access to information regarding what you and friends are doing.

How does someone else using a dps meter in anyway effect you and your game play?

I suggest you realise your issue is with some people who use them's actions or attitudes not the use of DPS Meters. I assure you, you will be kicked from groups after a few wipes/fails when people link gear and discuss builds and find out your not capable of your position in group.

Those people are called D..ks and GW2 has had a flag option ingame since launch to deal with them so you don't have party or squad issues like you must be having with these players.

Pay attention because this stops you and your issues effecting other people in game.

Target said person who is upsetting you.

Right click said persons portrait.

Bottom of pop up window options says

BLOCK! CLICK IT.

Once you have done this you never have to worry about having run in's with that person again.

If THAT person with or without friends choose to party with someone and require an experienced player using metabuild and end game gear for the goal they intend to achieve be it Raid/Fractal/World Boss, how is it unfair or any concern of yours if they use DPS Meter?

Is it because they can see your character is not end game level ready and doing low dps causing them to fail which in turn results in you being removed from group?

Like i said earlier

1" Right click and block those players.

2" Read, watch YouTube videos, farm and level gear, learn and use metabuilds.

Problem solved?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

> > And by the Gw2 Display Name a Player cannot personally Identity another player, since there is no available connection between display name and that natural person, Anet ensures that.

>

> It cannot directly identify another player; as I think I already noted in this thread, it is a short step from my account name (easily accessible given a display name) to my real name, employer, and work history. From there it is not much further to additional identifying information.

>

> While I don't believe that the GDPR or other data privacy regulation is relevant here, your statement is "technically correct", and practically incorrect in at least some cases. Overall, I believe it is a weak argument in support of your position, and would encourage you to restate your view (and mine) in other terms. :)

There is no way for a player to acquire any personal information about your RL name or your Employer, address etc. from your Gw2 Display Name, unless somebody used their actual name as their Display Name which anet Advises against and will change those players Display Names at the players request, and is no fault other than that player for using that information as a Display Name.

Again a player cannot directly or indirectly link a Gw2 Display Name to Personal Data under normal circumstances.

> @"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

> > > And by the Gw2 Display Name a Player cannot personally Identity another player, since there is no available connection between display name and that natural person, Anet ensures that.

> >

> > It cannot directly identify another player; as I think I already noted in this thread, it is a short step from my account name (easily accessible given a display name) to my real name, employer, and work history. From there it is not much further to additional identifying information.

> >

> > While I don't believe that the GDPR or other data privacy regulation is relevant here, your statement is "technically correct", and practically incorrect in at least some cases. Overall, I believe it is a weak argument in support of your position, and would encourage you to restate your view (and mine) in other terms. :)

>

> There is no way for a player to acquire any personal information about your RL name or your Employer, address etc. from your Gw2 Display Name, unless somebody used their actual name as their Display Name which anet Advises against and will change those players Display Names at the players request, and is no fault other than that player for using that information as a Display Name.

>

> Again a player cannot directly or indirectly link a Gw2 Display Name to Personal Data under normal circumstances.

I promise you that my account name, which you can see here on this post, will quickly link you to my real name. This is, again, my choice not to use a unique account name for GW2, and for other online areas, and for information that ties you back to my employer and real name, but ... it definitely exists.

My real name is honestly not "SlippyCheeze", but that alias ties directly to real name, and city-level location. Try googling it, and telling me what city I live in; it shouldn't be particularly hard. (Again, I made an informed choice to do this, but others may not be informed, and may accidentally leak that information.)

So, in at least one concrete case it **is** possible to associate display name to account name (eg: friend me), and account name to real name, without expending significant effort. I don't think using a common alias across multiple services is best described as "abnormal circumstances", hrm?

I think the issue is consent, -sidetrack is consent is not needed. which isn't an easy one.

if gw2 put it in standard content you could switch on or off and choose problem solved.

(I think its useful, and people will always troll so you cant stop that)

the fact they don't makes it difficult to say if they endorse it or they could be skint.

> > And by the Gw2 Display Name a Player cannot personally Identity another player, since there is no available connection between display name and that natural person, Anet ensures that.

>

> It cannot directly identify another player; as I think I already noted in this thread, it is a short step from my account name (easily accessible given a display name) to my real name, employer, and work history. From there it is not much further to additional identifying information.

>

> While I don't believe that the GDPR or other data privacy regulation is relevant here, your statement is "technically correct", and practically incorrect in at least some cases. Overall, I believe it is a weak argument in support of your position, and would encourage you to restate your view (and mine) in other terms. :)

First, as I already said. If somebody can obtain your personal data from GW2 Client, it is ILLEGAL. This has nothing to do with DPS meters nor the game.

Second, GDPR is absolutely relevant here since it is used as a privacy regulation by EU (as far as I know). And it absolutely does not support your arguments either.

> > > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > > @"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

> > > > And by the Gw2 Display Name a Player cannot personally Identity another player, since there is no available connection between display name and that natural person, Anet ensures that.

> > >

> > > It cannot directly identify another player; as I think I already noted in this thread, it is a short step from my account name (easily accessible given a display name) to my real name, employer, and work history. From there it is not much further to additional identifying information.

> > >

> > > While I don't believe that the GDPR or other data privacy regulation is relevant here, your statement is "technically correct", and practically incorrect in at least some cases. Overall, I believe it is a weak argument in support of your position, and would encourage you to restate your view (and mine) in other terms. :)

> >

> > There is no way for a player to acquire any personal information about your RL name or your Employer, address etc. from your Gw2 Display Name, unless somebody used their actual name as their Display Name which anet Advises against and will change those players Display Names at the players request, and is no fault other than that player for using that information as a Display Name.

> >

> > Again a player cannot directly or indirectly link a Gw2 Display Name to Personal Data under normal circumstances.

>

> I promise you that my account name, which you can see here on this post, will quickly link you to my real name. This is, again, my choice not to use a unique account name for GW2, and for other online areas, and for information that ties you back to my employer and real name, but ... it definitely exists.

>

> My real name is honestly not "SlippyCheeze", but that alias ties directly to real name, and city-level location. Try googling it, and telling me what city I live in; it shouldn't be particularly hard. (Again, I made an informed choice to do this, but others may not be informed, and may accidentally leak that information.)

>

> So, in at least one concrete case it **is** possible to associate display name to account name (eg: friend me), and account name to real name, without expending significant effort. I don't think using a common alias across multiple services is best described as "abnormal circumstances", hrm?

Again as I described under normal circumstances, and that is the Player’s own fault for putting personal data out there when a company provides the service and suggestion to not use personal data, and that player by using any personal data in such a manner consented to the use of that data but supplying it in a readily available means. And then there is the fact that there can be multiple players with similar names which are anonymously assigned a 4 digit number after their chosen display name so who is to say the person googling just the first portion of a display name is the same person using a similar display name, there isn’t since all display names are unique and randomized after the player’s chosen designator.

So again under normal circumstances it isn’t possible to link a Gw2 Display Name to Personal Data.

> > > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > > @"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

> > > > And by the Gw2 Display Name a Player cannot personally Identity another player, since there is no available connection between display name and that natural person, Anet ensures that.

> > >

> > > It cannot directly identify another player; as I think I already noted in this thread, it is a short step from my account name (easily accessible given a display name) to my real name, employer, and work history. From there it is not much further to additional identifying information.

> > >

> > > While I don't believe that the GDPR or other data privacy regulation is relevant here, your statement is "technically correct", and practically incorrect in at least some cases. Overall, I believe it is a weak argument in support of your position, and would encourage you to restate your view (and mine) in other terms. :)

> >

> > There is no way for a player to acquire any personal information about your RL name or your Employer, address etc. from your Gw2 Display Name, unless somebody used their actual name as their Display Name which anet Advises against and will change those players Display Names at the players request, and is no fault other than that player for using that information as a Display Name.

> >

> > Again a player cannot directly or indirectly link a Gw2 Display Name to Personal Data under normal circumstances.

>

> I promise you that my account name, which you can see here on this post, will quickly link you to my real name. This is, again, my choice not to use a unique account name for GW2, and for other online areas, and for information that ties you back to my employer and real name, but ... it definitely exists.

>

> My real name is honestly not "SlippyCheeze", but that alias ties directly to real name, and city-level location. Try googling it, and telling me what city I live in; it shouldn't be particularly hard. (Again, I made an informed choice to do this, but others may not be informed, and may accidentally leak that information.)

>

> So, in at least one concrete case it **is** possible to associate display name to account name (eg: friend me), and account name to real name, without expending significant effort. I don't think using a common alias across multiple services is best described as "abnormal circumstances", hrm?

But that is your personal responsibility, not anet's.

Also DPS meters don't do anything interacting with anyone ingame doesn't already do. Everybody can see your account name when you interact with them, join a group or squad, etc.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> Let’s stop that pointless discussion and wait for the conclusions ANet (or it lawyers) draw with respect to this matter.

>

> A more interesting questions to be discussed in the forum would be:

>

> Why do DPS-Meter users are against this flag? It would clearly help me to stay away from them which is exactly the reason why they use a DPS-Meter with my data. It is just much less stress to see that from the beginning than after several minutes of common party.

ANet has already made its conclusions, announced them to the player base, and moved on from the matter.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> ANet has already made its conclusions, announced them to the player base, and moved on from the matter.

It's not that easy ;) Several online game companies already closed sales in Europe (https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/DSGVO-und-Videospiele-Warum-manche-Entwickler-ihre-Online-Games-jetzt-abschalten-4040471.html) because they found it to difficult to justify the data processing they are doing, the only "ANet" statement over that topic that I know is from a single developer (probably not a lawyer in 2nd profession ;) ) that finds it cool. But will ANet prefer to close EU-sales just to make NA-DPS-Meter users happy?

>

>

I guess this is sort of like how walking into a bank and withdrawing money from your account is similar to robbing a bank? I mean, it's just a short step from withdrawing your own money to "withdrawing" everyone else's, right? Talk about weak arguments!

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > ANet has already made its conclusions, announced them to the player base, and moved on from the matter.

>

> It's not that easy ;) Several online game companies already closed sales in Europe (https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/DSGVO-und-Videospiele-Warum-manche-Entwickler-ihre-Online-Games-jetzt-abschalten-4040471.html) because they found it to difficult to justify the data processing they are doing, the only "ANet" statement over that topic that I know is from a single developer (probably not a lawyer in 2nd profession ;) ) that finds it cool. But will ANet prefer to close EU-sales just to make NA-DPS-Meter users happy?

>

Yeah, you're right. We should trust your vague suggestion that something ANet is doing might be in violation of EU laws over ANet's legal team and Chris Cleary. Perfectly reasonable.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > ANet has already made its conclusions, announced them to the player base, and moved on from the matter.

>

> It's not that easy ;) Several game companies already closed sales in Europe because they found it to difficult to justify the data processing they are doing, the only "ANet" statement over that topic that I know is from a single developer (probably not a lawyer in 2nd profession ;) ) that finds it cool. But will ANet prefer to close EU-sales just to make NA-DPS-Meter users happy?

>

Except nothing under GDPR is Anet breaking the law since they provide every and all service reasonable to make sure that their Display Names are in no way connected to players Personal Data. Especially since multiple players can have the exact same prefix for a display name.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

>

> It's not that easy ;) Several online game companies already closed sales in Europe (https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/DSGVO-und-Videospiele-Warum-manche-Entwickler-ihre-Online-Games-jetzt-abschalten-4040471.html) because they found it to difficult to justify the data processing they are doing, the only "ANet" statement over that topic that I know is from a single developer (probably not a lawyer in 2nd profession ;) ) that finds it cool. But will ANet prefer to close EU-sales just to make NA-DPS-Meter users happy?

>

Do you REALLY think that a developer is going to open his/her mouth about something without being sure it's legal? Also Chris Cleary isn't "a single developer", he's the Security Team lead. I'm sure his department is perfectly in touch with lawyers.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> I wanted to point you to a third possibility: ANet may come to the conclusion that it is to difficult to justify the publishing of this data to continue doing so.

The data is not being published anywhere. No one but the ones you play with can see the information arcDPS collects.

> @"nia.4725" said:

> > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > I wanted to point you to a third possibility: ANet may come to the conclusion that it is to difficult to justify the publishing of this data to continue doing so.

>

> The data is not being published anywhere. No one but the ones you play with can see the information arcDPS collects.

That's why this debate started with the google-glass-recording flag. I want see to whom my data are send.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

>

> Why do DPS-Meter users are against this flag? It would clearly help me to stay away from them which is exactly the reason why they use a DPS-Meter with my data. It is just much less stress to see that from the beginning than after several minutes of common party.

Maybe because it would simply exacerbate the ever-present friction between casual and hardcore? You know what flagging DPS meter users really does? It puts a great big target over your head that says "I don't use a DPS meter, therefore I am bad at the game." It isn't true, of course (or at least, not necessarily - I don't know you!), but that's how this would play out. And you want to tell me that's what you want?

We both know this was never about privacy, but about other players judging you. This idea of yours would make that 10 times worse. Yeah, you can avoid those players. But you can avoid them now! The difference is that, with a flag, everyone knows you don't use a DPS meter. And just as you've made garbage assumptions about players who use DPS meters, they will make garbage assumptions about you for not using one. You've simply given them a shiny new tool to casually judge you without even playing with you!

Otherwise, I have no issue with it. I use a DPS meter, but I spend the vast majority of my time soloing open world legendaries and champions. When I'm not doing that, I can usually be found helping other players with HPs, storyline, etc., running HP trains, bounty squads - none of the things you associate with elitist DPS meter users.

I've also never thrown even a little bit of shade at a player for "underperforming" in anything. I can carry squads and win, I can do it in fractals, too. If the whole group wipes to a dungeon boss, I can usually solo that, too. What do I care if you deal low damage? I'll carry you all day long. Just don't tell me it's my responsibility to do so and we're cool. You want to flag me and not play with me? Your loss. I'm the most helpful and polite "elitist" you'll ever meet!

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"nia.4725" said:

> > > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > I wanted to point you to a third possibility: ANet may come to the conclusion that it is to difficult to justify the publishing of this data to continue doing so.

> >

> > The data is not being published anywhere. No one but the ones you play with can see the information arcDPS collects.

>

> That's why this debate started with the google-glass-recording flag. I want see to whom my data are send.

It is not **your** data. How many times do we have to explain that?

I stayed away from this DPS-Meter debate as long as it only concerned High-Level Fractals and PvE-Raids.

But last sunday I was in a 50-people WvW squad judging the DPS made by several people.

I can easily play WvW without being in that squad. I can even run with that commander without being in his squad.

So yes, I want to see who is using DPS-meter.

And should it come to the point that I am the only one not using it, I probably switch the game.

> @"Imperadordf.2687" said:

> It is not **your** data. How many times do we have to explain that?

Repeating a claim is not explaining it ;) So you can repeat it as often as you have fun doing so. But if you want to reach something you should start arguing ;)

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> I stayed away from this DPS-Meter debate as long as it only concerned High-Level Fractals and PvE-Raids.

>

> But last sunday I was in a 50-people WvW squad judging the DPS made by several people.

> I can easily play WvW without being in that squad. I can even run with that commander without being in his squad.

> So yes, I want to see who is using DPS-meter.

> And should it come to the point that I am the only one not using it, I probably switch the game.

>

> > @"Imperadordf.2687" said:

> > It is not **your** data. How many times do we have to explain that?

>

> Repeating a claim is not explaining it ;) So you can repeat it as often as you have fun doing so. But if you want to reach something you should start arguing ;)

"We have no problems with players using a 3rd party tool whose scope is only to collect and visualize combat data gathered directly from the game client. Anything beyond that scope is still considered a violation of the User Agreement."

source.

The data is owned by Anet. It is not personal data. You can not be identified personally with this data.

You paid to access the game, *not own it*.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> The data is owned by Anet. You paid to access the game, *not own it*.

I did not claim to own it. I claim it my data in the sense of it's "data about me", publish by ANet due to a known leak, processed in the intent to judge my playstyle.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > The data is owned by Anet. You paid to access the game, *not own it*.

>

> I did not claim to own it. I claim it my data in the sense of it's data about me, publish by ANet due to a known leak, processed in the intent to judge my playstyle.

It is not your data. It is not about your person, ergo, it is not sensitive data that would identify you, or infringe upon your rights as a consumer.

Now we can dance around in circles all night, these facts will not change no matter how you word it.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > The data is owned by Anet. You paid to access the game, *not own it*.

> >

> > I did not claim to own it. I claim it my data in the sense of it's data about me, publish by ANet due to a known leak, processed in the intent to judge my playstyle.

>

> It is not your data. It is not about your person, ergo, it is not sensitive data that would identify you, or infringe upon your rights as a consumer.

> Now we can dance around in circles all night, these facts will not change no matter how you word it.

Every kick of any player out of a party by a DPS-meter user proves you are wrong. Even talking about the DPS of other people proves you are wrong.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > > The data is owned by Anet. You paid to access the game, *not own it*.

> > >

> > > I did not claim to own it. I claim it my data in the sense of it's data about me, publish by ANet due to a known leak, processed in the intent to judge my playstyle.

> >

> > It is not your data. It is not about your person, ergo, it is not sensitive data that would identify you, or infringe upon your rights as a consumer.

> > Now we can dance around in circles all night, these facts will not change no matter how you word it.

>

> Every kick of any player out of a party by a DPS-meter user proves you are wrong.

It proves that people viewed *public data* and used that data to kick someone who *underperformed*. It does not prove that the data is yours, nor does it prove that it infringes on your legal right to your *personal data* being kept safe. Because Anet owns the data of the damage your did, and they allow players to view it.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > The data is owned by Anet. You paid to access the game, *not own it*.

>

> I did not claim to own it. I claim it my data in the sense of it's "data about me", publish by ANet due to a known leak, processed in the intent to judge my playstyle.

It isn’t your data, it’s group data when you are in a group since multiple people are contributing to the data via Boons, Conditions, Class specific Buffs etc in a group setting and is only parsed to a player(s) you consented to group with. Combat data is a compilation of the groups effort.