When they finally nerf scourge and mesmer?

> @"whoknocks.4935" said:

> > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > @"whoknocks.4935" said:

> > > > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > > > @"whoknocks.4935" said:

> > > > > > @"Oneira.7691" said:

> > > > > > > @"Bigpapasmurf.5623" said:

> > > > > > > Looking at the arguments, this could be one of the definitions of l2p. Yes scourge is unbalanced. I find to win, you need to play the ranged game. When you go melee then odds are against you.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Mesmer is a matter of learning how to tell the real mesmer from the fakes, as well as learning when to dodge/evade/block. Out of the 2, scourge is def more unbalanced.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That's exactly it. With Scourges you have to stay mobile. That's what I've learned. When you see the red circles plop down get the hell out of there. It's not a foolproof counter but it's better than nothing. When your mobility skills are on cool down you're in trouble, so I try to always make sure I have 1 mobility skill ready.

> > > > >

> > > > > Many problems comes from the fact that scourge count as a shade himself.

> > > > >

> > > > > Your condi cleanse are enough and if you try to escape they just portal inside your hitbox and spam all skills and you are dead. Plus they just interrupt any healing because stability becomes fear and you are done.

> > > > >

> > > > > They should remove scourge as a shade himself, he is no longer a shade, and the placed shades only pulse once and not 10 times giving you 10 different condis all with 10 plus stacks. This way you can dodge the shade and save yourself, you can go melee without being condi bombed.

> > > >

> > > > Scourge is slow as as molasses in January. The one thing they could possibly be using to blink is Sandswell and unlike most scourge abilities actually has a really obvious animation to it and is rarely run.

> > >

> > > Have you ever faced a vitality healing power condi scourge in wvw? Pretty much unkillable in 1vs1 if you play a power build. So what if have no mobility? He can place the shades under your feets anyway and teleport inside you and give you 10 condi while corrupting your stab and fearing you. If you get caught by a scourge like that you can't escape, plus you are perma chilled, crippled, immob, they will get you even with zero mobility like you say. They are just a trash build unfun to play against.

> >

> > I thought this was the SPvP forum though.

>

> They are a plague in both gamemodes. On spvp because the shades cover all the cap and in wvw for the stupid buids they can abuse.

> Thanks for your observation that this is spvp section genius.

Thank you for acknowledging my genius.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> > > Mesmer is and has been for the majority of the games life-span, one of the strongest if not **the strongest** class in PvP. The sheer value a portal gives to a team is un-contested.

> >

> > How many of the top 100 in each PvP season has been mesmers, historically speaking?

> >

> > Just wondering, it would be interesting to see the data. Surely someone can compile it?

> >

> > Because going by this, at least 50 out of 100 players is mesmers. Who *wouldnt* play **the strongest** class in PvP? Playing anything else would be intentionally gimping yourself. Since the top 100 has to be the best of the best, there should be little kitten classes there. Only the strongest.

>

> I know eu had 7 mesmers in top 10 a week and a half ago, haven't bothered playing much lately. As for band-wagoning to the strongest class. That's not really enjoyable for most players. I'm not saying you can't do well on other classes, I'm saying you have to severely outplay your opponents in order to win.

I think you’re missing what he’s saying. You claimed “Mesmer is and has been for the majority of the games life-span, one of the strongest if not **the strongest** class in PvP. The sheer value a portal gives to a team is un-contested.“

Yet if this was true then before HoT surely every top team would have had a mesmer right? Historically mesmer has had a very rocky time in GW2 where it has been almost unplayable within the meta because of counters then other times when it has just had no real counter other than an interesting part came up on Netflix and distracted the person playing it. On the whole though (talking about almost a 6 year time span btw) mesmer has not been in a place where it is the absolute best class in PvP or where it has been nearly mandatory across multiple metas over multiple years, that would probably go to ele, thief or possibly warrior.

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> > @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> > > > Mesmer is and has been for the majority of the games life-span, one of the strongest if not **the strongest** class in PvP. The sheer value a portal gives to a team is un-contested.

> > >

> > > How many of the top 100 in each PvP season has been mesmers, historically speaking?

> > >

> > > Just wondering, it would be interesting to see the data. Surely someone can compile it?

> > >

> > > Because going by this, at least 50 out of 100 players is mesmers. Who *wouldnt* play **the strongest** class in PvP? Playing anything else would be intentionally gimping yourself. Since the top 100 has to be the best of the best, there should be little kitten classes there. Only the strongest.

> >

> > I know eu had 7 mesmers in top 10 a week and a half ago, haven't bothered playing much lately. As for band-wagoning to the strongest class. That's not really enjoyable for most players. I'm not saying you can't do well on other classes, I'm saying you have to severely outplay your opponents in order to win.

>

> I think you’re missing what he’s saying. You claimed “Mesmer is and has been for the majority of the games life-span, one of the strongest if not **the strongest** class in PvP. The sheer value a portal gives to a team is un-contested.“

>

> Yet if this was true then before HoT surely every top team would have had a mesmer right? Historically mesmer has had a very rocky time in GW2 where it has been almost unplayable within the meta because of counters then other times when it has just had no real counter other than an interesting part came up on Netflix and distracted the person playing it. On the whole though (talking about almost a 6 year time span btw) mesmer has not been in a place where it is the absolute best class in PvP or where it has been nearly mandatory across multiple metas over multiple years, that would probably go to ele, thief or possibly warrior.

Warrior has been pushed out so many times...

Guardian maybe? Anyway, ele has been garbage at times, thief sort of? But thief is similar to mesmer in that it has always provided a unique function in competitive games.

If you want to argue that Mesmer hadn’t been a rock star at times fine but portal has ALWAYS been relevant. Also the only class that currently has not one but two OP specs, so that’s super cool.

>

> They should remove scourge as a shade himself, he is no longer a shade, and the placed shades only pulse once and not 10 times giving you 10 different condis all with 10 plus stacks. This way you can dodge the shade and save yourself, you can go melee without being condi bombed.

I agree.

> Problems is only few mesmers ans scourge mains have the honesty to say their main is completely broken, low risk and high reward to play.

>

> They will just call you bad, l2p issue, learn to dodge that, learn to kite etc.

>

> They just don't want their main nerfed because right now with no so much effort they are climbing ranks.

> They are probably good players and all, but they are carried by the profession 80% and by personal skill 20%.

>

> Many many platinum scourges past 2 seasons I played with weren't even silver level in my opinion, but because decent they climbed to high plat... that's completely not fair.

>

> And to the people says reroll to scourge or mesmer then. Why? Why I should play a profession that i dont enjoy just because it's broken? Played scourge and after 10 minutes of brainless spamming and people offending me because i killed them (they were right btw) i just stopped to play a profession which makes you worse at the game.

>

> As a scourge you dont care if the enemy has stability, because you corrupt it into fear, you dont care if the enemy dodge something, you can spam other 5 skills impossible to dodge, you don't care if the enemy has aegis coz you use staff unblockable marks.

>

> In other profession you usually wait till the stability of your enemy ends to apply your ccs and your combos.

> Scourge just corrupt it... who cares if you have stability... i pass through anyway.

>

> Usually i pop my stability to usually survice a cc combo burst or for safe healing.

> Spellbreaker can remove your stability as well but he has pretty telegraphic skills, plus he is not a 1200 range from you. Scourge corrupt your stability safe from 1200 range interrupt your heal plus apply 15 condis... it's just brainless and unfun.

If there was a balancing factor to mesmers in the past, it's that they were very mediocre in PvE. You're right, they were always strong in PvP, but that was the trade-off: strong in PvP, weak in PvE. That changed with chronomancer. It became a great support class that remains essential in raids and fractals. And with Mirage, mesmer became viable in all aspects of PvE. To me the problem is not how good mesmers are in PvP, it's that they are now good in every game mode. On the one hand that's good, but it also means that other classes deserve the same.

> @"Oneira.7691" said:

> > @"whoknocks.4935" said:

>

> >

> > They should remove scourge as a shade himself, he is no longer a shade, and the placed shades only pulse once and not 10 times giving you 10 different condis all with 10 plus stacks. This way you can dodge the shade and save yourself, you can go melee without being condi bombed.

>

> I agree.

The above says “please gut the class so it’s worse than core necro”.

Reduce radius? Fine, fewer pulses? Whatever. Neuter all the mechanics at once so the spec is unplayable? How is that at all reasonable.

> @"Dralor.3701" said:

> > @"apharma.3741" said:

> > > @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> > > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > > @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> > > > > Mesmer is and has been for the majority of the games life-span, one of the strongest if not **the strongest** class in PvP. The sheer value a portal gives to a team is un-contested.

> > > >

> > > > How many of the top 100 in each PvP season has been mesmers, historically speaking?

> > > >

> > > > Just wondering, it would be interesting to see the data. Surely someone can compile it?

> > > >

> > > > Because going by this, at least 50 out of 100 players is mesmers. Who *wouldnt* play **the strongest** class in PvP? Playing anything else would be intentionally gimping yourself. Since the top 100 has to be the best of the best, there should be little kitten classes there. Only the strongest.

> > >

> > > I know eu had 7 mesmers in top 10 a week and a half ago, haven't bothered playing much lately. As for band-wagoning to the strongest class. That's not really enjoyable for most players. I'm not saying you can't do well on other classes, I'm saying you have to severely outplay your opponents in order to win.

> >

> > I think you’re missing what he’s saying. You claimed “Mesmer is and has been for the majority of the games life-span, one of the strongest if not **the strongest** class in PvP. The sheer value a portal gives to a team is un-contested.“

> >

> > Yet if this was true then before HoT surely every top team would have had a mesmer right? Historically mesmer has had a very rocky time in GW2 where it has been almost unplayable within the meta because of counters then other times when it has just had no real counter other than an interesting part came up on Netflix and distracted the person playing it. On the whole though (talking about almost a 6 year time span btw) mesmer has not been in a place where it is the absolute best class in PvP or where it has been nearly mandatory across multiple metas over multiple years, that would probably go to ele, thief or possibly warrior.

>

> Warrior has been pushed out so many times...

>

> Guardian maybe? Anyway, ele has been garbage at times, thief sort of? But thief is similar to mesmer in that it has always provided a unique function in competitive games.

>

> If you want to argue that Mesmer hadn’t been a rock star at times fine but portal has ALWAYS been relevant. Also the only class that currently has not one but two OP specs, so that’s super cool.

Portal is only relevant if the mesmer can stay alive long enough to use it and still be useful to the team. In a meta (pre specs) where it is hard countered by an alpha predator the value goes down substantially as you’re often left with a numbers disadvantage across the map because the mesmer is either dead or having to waste portal on itself instead of the team.

I’m talking across the entire games span and it’s metas, yes ele, war and thief have had downs but generally they have spent vast times either at the top or in a state where they’re not top pick but will usually fill out a team to no detriment. Thief was incredibly dominant pre specs and pre HoT, it was only after HoT thief had competition in its role that forced it out or just as a valid choice. Guard hasn’t often been a must pick but could be run to fill out a group a lot of the time, I’d agree it’s probably had the most solid performance across the games span and it’s why I recommend to new players to try guardian.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> Scourge needs to be brought roughly back to how it was in season 8. The ridiculous cast time animations need to go, and shades should be made targetable, and destroyed by break bar.

> Easy as that, Scourge's problem is gone.

I too think renegade is well-designed /s

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > Scourge needs to be brought roughly back to how it was in season 8. The ridiculous cast time animations need to go, and shades should be made targetable, and destroyed by break bar.

> > Easy as that, Scourge's problem is gone.

> I too think renegade is well-designed /s

Yeah, that's the issue, they completely messed up which class should have destroyable summons.

Renegade's summons are one-trick ponies, and wouldn't be too impactful if they were made invulnerable. While Shades are the opposite, they have such a huge arsenal of effects on them, that without any sort of counter, they're just s blight on pvp modes.

And because Arena Net sucks at thinking outside the box, they just nerf numbers, making it trash-tier in PvE.

Now i'm not saying just let it take aoes and get destroyed with cleaves. I'm saying players should have to make a choice, use a limited resource (cc) to break the shade's bar, or let it stay around.

That's one way to fix it, and to me, probably the easier way to do it.

Another would be lifted directly from League of Legends and implementing a effect similar to Talyah's "Worked Ground", where that champion can't cast her skills on an area she cast earlier, the same kind of thing would fit thematically to Shades (having exhausted the magic in the sand) and would force Scourges to be more creative than just sticking a shade on a point all the time.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > Scourge needs to be brought roughly back to how it was in season 8. The ridiculous cast time animations need to go, and shades should be made targetable, and destroyed by break bar.

> > > Easy as that, Scourge's problem is gone.

> > I too think renegade is well-designed /s

>

> Yeah, that's the issue, they completely messed up which class should have destroyable summons.

> Renegade's summons are one-trick ponies, and wouldn't be too impactful if they were made invulnerable. While Shades are the opposite, they have such a huge arsenal of effects on them, that without any sort of counter, they're just s blight on pvp modes.

> And because Arena Net sucks at thinking outside the box, they just nerf numbers, making it trash-tier in PvE.

> Now i'm not saying just let it take aoes and get destroyed with cleaves. I'm saying players should have to make a choice, use a limited resource (cc) to break the shade's bar, or let it stay around.

> That's one way to fix it, and to me, probably the easier way to do it.

> Another would be lifted directly from League of Legends and implementing a effect similar to Talyah's "Worked Ground", where that champion can't cast her skills on an area she cast earlier, the same kind of thing would fit thematically to Shades (having exhausted the magic in the sand) and would force Scourges to be more creative than just sticking a shade on a point all the time.

Yeah, there's several reasonable solutions people have pointed out to make scourge less braindead:

* Make scourge not a shade themselves

* Give shades some kind of counter (CC or health)

* Cast times to shade skills

* Worked Ground idea you suggested

ArenaNet's solution?

* Turn it into garbage.

Which is not the solution I want. I want every spec to have some viability and flavor, but they've chosen the worst possible way to nerf it.

> @"Vagrant.7206" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > Scourge needs to be brought roughly back to how it was in season 8. The ridiculous cast time animations need to go, and shades should be made targetable, and destroyed by break bar.

> > > > Easy as that, Scourge's problem is gone.

> > > I too think renegade is well-designed /s

> >

> > Yeah, that's the issue, they completely messed up which class should have destroyable summons.

> > Renegade's summons are one-trick ponies, and wouldn't be too impactful if they were made invulnerable. While Shades are the opposite, they have such a huge arsenal of effects on them, that without any sort of counter, they're just s blight on pvp modes.

> > And because Arena Net sucks at thinking outside the box, they just nerf numbers, making it trash-tier in PvE.

> > Now i'm not saying just let it take aoes and get destroyed with cleaves. I'm saying players should have to make a choice, use a limited resource (cc) to break the shade's bar, or let it stay around.

> > That's one way to fix it, and to me, probably the easier way to do it.

> > Another would be lifted directly from League of Legends and implementing a effect similar to Talyah's "Worked Ground", where that champion can't cast her skills on an area she cast earlier, the same kind of thing would fit thematically to Shades (having exhausted the magic in the sand) and would force Scourges to be more creative than just sticking a shade on a point all the time.

>

> Yeah, there's several reasonable solutions people have pointed out to make scourge less braindead:

>

> * Make scourge not a shade themselves

> * Give shades some kind of counter (CC or health)

> * Cast times to shade skills

> * Worked Ground idea you suggested

>

> ArenaNet's solution?

>

> * Turn it into garbage.

>

> Which is not the solution I want. I want every spec to have some viability and flavor, but they've chosen the worst possible way to nerf it.

I don't think that the first one would change much, nor would the cast times... It would have the same opressive result for conquest or other static locations, and the only change that a scourge would have to do is stagger the skills more.

Also i think its nice that scourge has the burst potential of just dropping all his shade skills... They **do** have cooldowns, and a "Mana" cost, so if he messes up, there goes that.

The other problem is that, its hard for a scourge to "mess up" because most players won't adapt to running less boon spammy builds, because, apart from scourge and spellbreaker (which were introduced just to discourage the boon spam meta) it works for and against the other elites. This is almost as much a mentality problem from the overall community as it is poor management and balance.

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> > @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

> > > > Mesmer is and has been for the majority of the games life-span, one of the strongest if not **the strongest** class in PvP. The sheer value a portal gives to a team is un-contested.

> > >

> > > How many of the top 100 in each PvP season has been mesmers, historically speaking?

> > >

> > > Just wondering, it would be interesting to see the data. Surely someone can compile it?

> > >

> > > Because going by this, at least 50 out of 100 players is mesmers. Who *wouldnt* play **the strongest** class in PvP? Playing anything else would be intentionally gimping yourself. Since the top 100 has to be the best of the best, there should be little kitten classes there. Only the strongest.

> >

> > I know eu had 7 mesmers in top 10 a week and a half ago, haven't bothered playing much lately. As for band-wagoning to the strongest class. That's not really enjoyable for most players. I'm not saying you can't do well on other classes, I'm saying you have to severely outplay your opponents in order to win.

>

> On the whole though (talking about almost a 6 year time span btw) mesmer has not been in a place where it is the absolute best class in PvP or where it has been nearly mandatory across multiple metas over multiple years

I guess you don't remember literally all of HoT where Moa was virtually the only way to secure a kill in tournaments, or... now, where Mesmer is far and away one of the most efficient roamers/duelists in the game.

> @"Miles Smiles.8951" said:

> what's wrong with scourge now? they nerfed it like a trilligram times. well they buffed barriers a couple, but still

They didn't nerf anything that makes scourge problematic : **sand savant** for example, really anet will just throw glitter bombs by "nerfing" things nobody was using anyway, they will then apply real nerfs to scourge when we get close to next expansion in a bid to sell it with new OP necro spec

I don't think scourge is that broken honestly. The only problem with scourge is that the shade covers the entire point, and I guess maybe also that the matchups are very binary - either you're melee and lose, or you're ranged and you win. It is kind of oppressive in WvW though I'll grant you that.

Mesmer just needs to be fucking deleted honestly. Just delete all mesmer characters from the game. It will be better off for it.

The whole graphic effect spam of scourge is enough reason to delete the spec already. They literally fill the whole screen with ugly circles and you cannot seee what is going on anymore.

The braindead easy mass spam of condi would be the next reason to delete scourge.

I cannot think of a single good reason to keep scourge in the game tbh.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> The whole graphic effect spam of scourge is enough reason to delete the spec already. They literally fill the whole screen with ugly circles and you cannot seee what is going on anymore.

> The braindead easy mass spam of condi would be the next reason to delete scourge.

> I cannot think of a single good reason to keep scourge in the game tbh.

Every single profession have to watch out for your boons, especially stability to hit important CC skills, for example dragonhunter have to wait the opponent has no stability so he can pull, knockback etc.

Spellbreaker never shield stun into a guy with stability, or he removes it with dagger or he wait till it vanish to try land his CC skills. Same holosmith, you wait holo stab pulse ends and you counter attack, or holo itself doesn't spam random holo#5 on a guy with stability on.

Scourge? He doesn't give a f### if you have stability or not, if you don't have he stunlock you plus 10 condis in a matter of 2-3 seconds, you have stability? That's actually even worse because he corrupts it so easily into fear (an interrupt), so you can't even safe heal. Scourge ignores all boons you have completely, that's why even noobs wins with it, they just spam random and your boons are useless and corrupted into condis. Only resistance pulse that warrior has is a nice counter to it, but resistance single boon pulse is useless and corrupted as well.

The spec need to be deleted so finally those noskill players will understand what it means watch the boon bar, learn to dodge properly, learn to CC properly instead of brainless spamming.

> @"Oneira.7691" said:

> > @"whoknocks.4935" said:

> > > @"Oneira.7691" said:

> > > The endless whining about mesmers and scourges (it used to be about thieves and guardian bunker builds) is why I don't play pvp anymore.

> > >

> > > I've been killed by scourges more times than I have hours in my life, but I don't come on here screaming for them to be nerfed. I just try to figure out how to deal with them better. If they happen to be 1st tier, well then someone's going to be. If you nerf mesmer and scourge into the ground, then some other class(es) is going to dominate and the calls for nerfs will go on and won.

> >

> > Spellbreaker is easy to play low risk and high reward spec as well, but i have no problems fighting one, and you still have many counterplay to it.

> >

> > Mesmer and scourge (especially with fb) have zero counterplay and it's unfun having constantly 10 condis after you cleanse them 3 times.

> >

> > If everybody shut up it's obvious they won't do anything about it, but making posts and posts and post i hope finally they will listen and do something about it.

>

> To say that mesmers and scourges have zero counterplay is too much exaggeration. Yes, I understand your point that they are devilish to play against but there are counters. They may not be 100% effective but they are there. I'm far better at dealing with scourges than I used to be.

>

> Pointing out imbalances is one thing, but a constant barrage of Nerf Mesmers and Scourges! posts is actually counterproductive, because it drowns out the more reasonable attempts at suggesting balancing changes, many of whom are made by mesmers or scourges who know their class inside and out and have a better idea of what needs to be changed.

counterplay to scourge?

spam all shades in point plus necro body----- point 100% covered----- no one can enter ----> point decaped and caped

spam all shades in point plus necro body----- point 100% covered----- no one can enter ----> point defended

... yeah you can go out and with a good ranged class kill them... but this game mode is about controling points, and scourge is broken in this aspect

Point is simply to avoid the scourge. From that point of view, simply removing crippling from the scourge's condi list would fix things.

That being said, i'm starting to think that the general condi spamming might be too complicated to deal with in solo queue, and there needs probably tutorials on how to counter these. I thought at start that scourges were the biggest issue. They still are, but i noticed that it tends to be the same against condi mesmers or condi thieves ( not PP).

I won't be nice. The pvp of this game is just bullshit.

Guardians never die, Mesmer oneshots you with a 30000 confusion, 20000 burning hit in like, what, 1.2 seconds?

I remember when this game was fun. It actually got REALLY bad since PoF came out. Please do something, cause this is the first season I'll skip. I'm not getting into that cancer any more than this.

So many angry people! If they just toned down the damage and reduced the radius or removed sand savant I think it would fix most of the problems. Something to make it less spammy would also be good.

The barrier and Support functions are the only interesting thing about the spec, hope they don’t kill barriers

> @"Dralor.3701" said:

> So many angry people! If they just toned down the damage and reduced the radius or removed sand savant I think it would fix most of the problems. Something to make it less spammy would also be good.

>

> The barrier and Support functions are the only interesting thing about the spec, hope they don’t kill barriers

I like the theme of the spec. There are generally two things that define necros, warlocks and other dark magic users in RPGs. Minions and corrupting large swaths of land and everything in them. Shades feel like minions without actually being minions. Scourge with shades actually lives up to how an evil magic user is supposed to feel game play wise. Kind of like how Firebrand finally brought the option to have supportive dedicated healing guardians be a viable thing in game.

I also don't think sand savant and the aoe aspect of scourge are anywhere near as problematic as forum goers say they are.

Honestly in my opinion, the only real problem with pvp are the non telegraphed instant kill combos from stealth. Other than that, it is a matter of learning to play against the different classes. Like for example, stop blinding playing the meta. Play the different classes and get experimental. learn how they work and figure out counters. For those who are not capable enough or too lazy to do that... well either accept your pvp rank or play another game mode or perhaps another game. Stop repeatedly doing what makes you upset. That kind of behavior will lead to necessary medical attention.