Do we really need 9 new elite specs each expansion?

The past two expansions are, least from my POV, a showcase of how new professions have contributed to a very unhealthy power creep. We have reached a point in GW2, where there are so many skills they get worse to balance with every new iteration of changes, which are mostly buffs and counter buffs.

Adding nine more professions will make things even worse.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Elite-Specs are a huge selling point for expansions. A new expansion without Elite-Specs will be perceived as only half an expansion, which will show in sales numbers and player outcry.

From a gameplay perspective, if I had to put my finger on one aspect that GW1 did better than GW2 it would be build diversity. Since secondary professions aren't compatible with GW2, Elite-Specs are a good alternative. If they are well balanced. Of course it's going to be a balancing nightmare. The more highly competitive builds you have, the higher the risk becomes to unintentionally boost one above all others.

I voted no, BUT I believe we should have one more elite spec for each profession before they end this idea and try something else. I would really like to see them pay respect to some of the previous professions in GW1 that didn't make the crossover, like Ritualist, Dervish, Paragon, etc., in the last set of elite specs. After that, adding new playable races (please, Tengu, please!) could keep it interesting enough and only be a visual change without having to worry about balance. The team has some pretty good ideas and are always surprising us so I feel confident they can add more interesting things to the game without it being elite specializations... but for the love of the Six, where are build templates???

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> Excessive specs will make game over-redundant and saturated.

> Perhaps theres a room only more one xpac with specializations.

Classes are no different. Even back when it was only core, half the classes were consider "redundant" at best, and useless at worst. You keep adding classes, you eventually have no choice but to overlap when the game itself demands roles to exist. Class based systems are bar far the most prone to this, because thats the entire point of their design.... to control how they're used.

> @"Assic.2746" said:

> Discovering new ways to play your favourite profession is a key factor of GW2 expanions. However the pace in which new elite specs are being added seems very fast. We can already experience that Balance Team has a hard time keeping both core professions & elite specs in check.

>

> I personally don't think that we need an entire elite spec: traits, utilities, weapons and new mechanic to have fun with the game. **What if future expansion would unlock only new weapon but for core professions?** Let's say mainhand torch for guardian. Firebrand, Dragonhunter and Core Guardian could use this weapon in main hand.

Well my response here is they can focus on other things if they do not need to focus on a new spec, maybe they need more mini expansions, just a thought.