Elonian ectoplasm drop rate

> #Late Notes: May 22, 2018

> #World Polish

> * Reduced the rate at which Globs of Ectoplasm are salvaged from rare Elonian weaponry.

Reducing the amount of ectoplasm in the economy is a **good thing,** but I believe this change does it in a way that unnecessarily convolutes the loot system. Why should some rare gear drop less ectoplasm than other rare gear?

I believe the solution should be to reduce the drop rate of rare Elonian weaponry instead.

> @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > #Late Notes: May 22, 2018

> > #World Polish

> > * Reduced the rate at which Globs of Ectoplasm are salvaged from rare Elonian weaponry.

>

> Reducing the amount of ectoplasm in the economy is a **good thing,** but I believe this change does it in a way that unnecessarily convolutes the loot system. Why should some rare gear drop less ectoplasm than other rare gear?

>

> I believe the solution should be to reduce the drop rate of rare Elonian weaponry instead.

Why should rare gear drop less in one area of the game compared to others?

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > #Late Notes: May 22, 2018

> > > #World Polish

> > > * Reduced the rate at which Globs of Ectoplasm are salvaged from rare Elonian weaponry.

> >

> > Reducing the amount of ectoplasm in the economy is a **good thing,** but I believe this change does it in a way that unnecessarily convolutes the loot system. Why should some rare gear drop less ectoplasm than other rare gear?

> >

> > I believe the solution should be to reduce the drop rate of rare Elonian weaponry instead.

>

> Why should rare gear drop less in one area of the game compared to others?

It wouldn't. Rare Elonian weapons drop _more_ than rare weapons in other areas of the game. That's the whole reason why the value of ectoplasm tanked, and it's why this change was made, because rare Elonian weaponry is too common.

> @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > #Late Notes: May 22, 2018

> > > > #World Polish

> > > > * Reduced the rate at which Globs of Ectoplasm are salvaged from rare Elonian weaponry.

> > >

> > > Reducing the amount of ectoplasm in the economy is a **good thing,** but I believe this change does it in a way that unnecessarily convolutes the loot system. Why should some rare gear drop less ectoplasm than other rare gear?

> > >

> > > I believe the solution should be to reduce the drop rate of rare Elonian weaponry instead.

> >

> > Why should rare gear drop less in one area of the game compared to others?

>

> It wouldn't. Rare Elonian weapons drop _more_ than rare weapons in other areas of the game. That's the whole reason why the value of ectoplasm tanked, and it's why this change was made, because rare Elonian weaponry is too common.

It tanked because of LS4E1.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > #Late Notes: May 22, 2018

> > > > > #World Polish

> > > > > * Reduced the rate at which Globs of Ectoplasm are salvaged from rare Elonian weaponry.

> > > >

> > > > Reducing the amount of ectoplasm in the economy is a **good thing,** but I believe this change does it in a way that unnecessarily convolutes the loot system. Why should some rare gear drop less ectoplasm than other rare gear?

> > > >

> > > > I believe the solution should be to reduce the drop rate of rare Elonian weaponry instead.

> > >

> > > Why should rare gear drop less in one area of the game compared to others?

> >

> > It wouldn't. Rare Elonian weapons drop _more_ than rare weapons in other areas of the game. That's the whole reason why the value of ectoplasm tanked, and it's why this change was made, because rare Elonian weaponry is too common.

>

> It tanked because of LS4E1.

Because rare Elonian weapons drop too frequently there. More often than rare weapons in other areas of the game.

> @"X T D.6458" said:

> PoF destroyed the value of crafting mats, we need more changes like this tbh.

I agree that we need a reduction in overall rewards in post-PoF content, but my point is that this specific change creates unnecessary complications within the salvage system. Rather than changing which types of rares have different chances to drop ectoplasm, they should instead make the rare Elonian weapons themselves drop less frequently. This also slightly reduces the amount of T5/T6 wood and ore entering the economy.

> @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > > #Late Notes: May 22, 2018

> > > > > > #World Polish

> > > > > > * Reduced the rate at which Globs of Ectoplasm are salvaged from rare Elonian weaponry.

> > > > >

> > > > > Reducing the amount of ectoplasm in the economy is a **good thing,** but I believe this change does it in a way that unnecessarily convolutes the loot system. Why should some rare gear drop less ectoplasm than other rare gear?

> > > > >

> > > > > I believe the solution should be to reduce the drop rate of rare Elonian weaponry instead.

> > > >

> > > > Why should rare gear drop less in one area of the game compared to others?

> > >

> > > It wouldn't. Rare Elonian weapons drop _more_ than rare weapons in other areas of the game. That's the whole reason why the value of ectoplasm tanked, and it's why this change was made, because rare Elonian weaponry is too common.

> >

> > It tanked because of LS4E1.

>

> Because rare Elonian weapons drop too frequently there. More often than rare weapons in other areas of the game.

Back to my original point, you argue that reducing the ecto drop rate was the wrong thing when it’s no different than reducing reducing the drop rate of rares themselves.

> @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > PoF destroyed the value of crafting mats, we need more changes like this tbh.

>

> I agree that we need a reduction in overall rewards in post-PoF content, but my point is that this specific change creates unnecessary complications within the salvage system. Rather than changing which types of rares have different chances to drop ectoplasm, they should instead make the rare Elonian weapons themselves drop less frequently. This also slightly reduces the amount of T5/T6 wood and ore entering the economy.

Considering how easy it was to get these rares, I dont mind this change at all. Reducing overall rewards will affect more people in a bigger way, but this change is more targeted to address a specific issue.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > > > #Late Notes: May 22, 2018

> > > > > > > #World Polish

> > > > > > > * Reduced the rate at which Globs of Ectoplasm are salvaged from rare Elonian weaponry.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Reducing the amount of ectoplasm in the economy is a **good thing,** but I believe this change does it in a way that unnecessarily convolutes the loot system. Why should some rare gear drop less ectoplasm than other rare gear?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I believe the solution should be to reduce the drop rate of rare Elonian weaponry instead.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why should rare gear drop less in one area of the game compared to others?

> > > >

> > > > It wouldn't. Rare Elonian weapons drop _more_ than rare weapons in other areas of the game. That's the whole reason why the value of ectoplasm tanked, and it's why this change was made, because rare Elonian weaponry is too common.

> > >

> > > It tanked because of LS4E1.

> >

> > Because rare Elonian weapons drop too frequently there. More often than rare weapons in other areas of the game.

>

> Back to my original point, you argue that reducing the ecto drop rate was the wrong thing when it’s no different than reducing reducing the drop rate of rates themselves.

It's actually quite different. This is the beginning of adding unnecessary complexity to the salvage system, because now you need to start tracking which rare equipment has which probability to drop ectoplasm, meaning some groups of rares are more valuable than others. However, if they simply tune the drop rates of the weapons themselves, you do not need to keep track of different kinds of rare weapons, since they all salvage into the same results.

> @"X T D.6458" said:

> > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > > PoF destroyed the value of crafting mats, we need more changes like this tbh.

> >

> > I agree that we need a reduction in overall rewards in post-PoF content, but my point is that this specific change creates unnecessary complications within the salvage system. Rather than changing which types of rares have different chances to drop ectoplasm, they should instead make the rare Elonian weapons themselves drop less frequently. This also slightly reduces the amount of T5/T6 wood and ore entering the economy.

>

> Considering how easy it was to get these rares, I dont mind this change at all. Reducing overall rewards will affect more people in a bigger way, but this change is more targeted to address a specific issue.

They can lower the drop rate of these specific rares to address this specific issue and have the same result on the economy in a way that is healthier for the long term simplicity and maintenance of the loot-salvage-sell system.

> @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > > > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > > > PoF destroyed the value of crafting mats, we need more changes like this tbh.

> > >

> > > I agree that we need a reduction in overall rewards in post-PoF content, but my point is that this specific change creates unnecessary complications within the salvage system. Rather than changing which types of rares have different chances to drop ectoplasm, they should instead make the rare Elonian weapons themselves drop less frequently. This also slightly reduces the amount of T5/T6 wood and ore entering the economy.

> >

> > Considering how easy it was to get these rares, I dont mind this change at all. Reducing overall rewards will affect more people in a bigger way, but this change is more targeted to address a specific issue.

>

> They can lower the drop rate of these specific rares to address this specific issue and have the same result on the economy in a way that is healthier for the long term simplicity and maintenance of the loot-salvage-sell system.

I seriously doubt many people would like to see less rares. A reduced salvage rate is already rng based anyways, I mean you could get 0-3 per item so it wont really be noticeable to many people. And I would think that there are a good amount of people who do not want to see crafting mats like these get devalued to the point that they arent worth selling. Just hoard and hope the price goes up some day.

> @"X T D.6458" said:

> > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > > > > PoF destroyed the value of crafting mats, we need more changes like this tbh.

> > > >

> > > > I agree that we need a reduction in overall rewards in post-PoF content, but my point is that this specific change creates unnecessary complications within the salvage system. Rather than changing which types of rares have different chances to drop ectoplasm, they should instead make the rare Elonian weapons themselves drop less frequently. This also slightly reduces the amount of T5/T6 wood and ore entering the economy.

> > >

> > > Considering how easy it was to get these rares, I dont mind this change at all. Reducing overall rewards will affect more people in a bigger way, but this change is more targeted to address a specific issue.

> >

> > They can lower the drop rate of these specific rares to address this specific issue and have the same result on the economy in a way that is healthier for the long term simplicity and maintenance of the loot-salvage-sell system.

>

> I seriously doubt many people would like to see less rares. A reduced drop rate, which is already rng based anyways, I mean you could get 0-3 per item so it wont really be noticeable to many people. And I would think that there are a good amount of people who do not want to see crafting mats like these get devalued to the point that they arent worth selling. Just hoard and hope the price goes up some day.

Whether they end up with fewer rares or fewer ectoplasm, players are going to notice a reduction in their rewards either way, so let's make the adjustment that creates less complexity. In this case, lowering the drop rates of rare Elonian weaponry to the same as rare weapons across the rest of PvE would actually remove a layer of complexity and solve the problem. The current change to rare Elonian weaponry's chances to drop ectoplasm adds a layer of complexity that is unnecessary and makes it harder for both the players and ArenaNet in the long term.

> @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > > > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > > > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > > > > > PoF destroyed the value of crafting mats, we need more changes like this tbh.

> > > > >

> > > > > I agree that we need a reduction in overall rewards in post-PoF content, but my point is that this specific change creates unnecessary complications within the salvage system. Rather than changing which types of rares have different chances to drop ectoplasm, they should instead make the rare Elonian weapons themselves drop less frequently. This also slightly reduces the amount of T5/T6 wood and ore entering the economy.

> > > >

> > > > Considering how easy it was to get these rares, I dont mind this change at all. Reducing overall rewards will affect more people in a bigger way, but this change is more targeted to address a specific issue.

> > >

> > > They can lower the drop rate of these specific rares to address this specific issue and have the same result on the economy in a way that is healthier for the long term simplicity and maintenance of the loot-salvage-sell system.

> >

> > I seriously doubt many people would like to see less rares. A reduced drop rate, which is already rng based anyways, I mean you could get 0-3 per item so it wont really be noticeable to many people. And I would think that there are a good amount of people who do not want to see crafting mats like these get devalued to the point that they arent worth selling. Just hoard and hope the price goes up some day.

>

> Whether they end up with fewer rares or fewer ectoplasm, players are going to notice a reduction in their rewards either way, so let's make the adjustment that creates less complexity. In this case, lowering the drop rates of rare Elonian weaponry to the same as rare weapons across the rest of PvE would actually remove a layer of complexity and solve the problem. The current change to rare Elonian weaponry's chances to drop ectoplasm adds a layer of complexity that is unnecessary and makes it harder for both the players and ArenaNet in the long term.

Im not against the idea, I honestly dont mind it either way. I just really hate what has happened to the material market and want them to add more sinks and stuff.

> @"X T D.6458" said:

> > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > > > > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > > > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > > > > > > PoF destroyed the value of crafting mats, we need more changes like this tbh.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I agree that we need a reduction in overall rewards in post-PoF content, but my point is that this specific change creates unnecessary complications within the salvage system. Rather than changing which types of rares have different chances to drop ectoplasm, they should instead make the rare Elonian weapons themselves drop less frequently. This also slightly reduces the amount of T5/T6 wood and ore entering the economy.

> > > > >

> > > > > Considering how easy it was to get these rares, I dont mind this change at all. Reducing overall rewards will affect more people in a bigger way, but this change is more targeted to address a specific issue.

> > > >

> > > > They can lower the drop rate of these specific rares to address this specific issue and have the same result on the economy in a way that is healthier for the long term simplicity and maintenance of the loot-salvage-sell system.

> > >

> > > I seriously doubt many people would like to see less rares. A reduced drop rate, which is already rng based anyways, I mean you could get 0-3 per item so it wont really be noticeable to many people. And I would think that there are a good amount of people who do not want to see crafting mats like these get devalued to the point that they arent worth selling. Just hoard and hope the price goes up some day.

> >

> > Whether they end up with fewer rares or fewer ectoplasm, players are going to notice a reduction in their rewards either way, so let's make the adjustment that creates less complexity. In this case, lowering the drop rates of rare Elonian weaponry to the same as rare weapons across the rest of PvE would actually remove a layer of complexity and solve the problem. The current change to rare Elonian weaponry's chances to drop ectoplasm adds a layer of complexity that is unnecessary and makes it harder for both the players and ArenaNet in the long term.

>

> Im not against the idea, I honestly dont mind it either way. I just really hate what has happened to the material market and want them to add more sinks and stuff.

I agree, and there's still a lot left that needs to be fixed, like T6 fine materials being worth less than T3 and T4. I'd just rather they do it in a way that doesn't further convolute the loot system.

... The "I think ecto salvage rates were nerfed this patch" complain was a great meme once. I find i ironic that it has actually happened now.

And i agree with Shaman there. Salvage rates should remain constant across the salvage kits and rarity tiers. We should not be tracking origins of the drops to know what we can expect to salvage them into. So, either nerf ecto salvage rates across _all_ rare gear, or reduce rare gear drops in PoF.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> ... The "I think ecto salvage rates were nerfed this patch" complain was a great meme once. I find i ironic that it has actually happened now.

>

> And i agree with Shaman there. Salvage rates should remain constant across the salvage kits and rarity tiers. We should not be tracking origins of the drops to know what we can expect to salvage them into. So, either nerf ecto salvage rates across _all_ rare gear, or reduce rare gear drops in PoF.

Why though? This is a simple fix for the issue without punishing players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept Isles.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > ... The "I think ecto salvage rates were nerfed this patch" complain was a great meme once. I find i ironic that it has actually happened now.

> >

> > And i agree with Shaman there. Salvage rates should remain constant across the salvage kits and rarity tiers. We should not be tracking origins of the drops to know what we can expect to salvage them into. So, either nerf ecto salvage rates across _all_ rare gear, or reduce rare gear drops in PoF.

>

> Why though? This is a simple fix for the issue without punishing players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept Isles.

But this change _does_ punish players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept. It means any rare Elonian weapons they get from any other map are now less valuable.

The best solution would have been to reduce the drop rates of rare Elonian weapons in Istan and any other map where their metrics showed it was a problem. That way, the value of rare Elonian weapons stays higher, so the main PoF maps don't lose rewards. PoF maps really didn't need this nerf.

> @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > ... The "I think ecto salvage rates were nerfed this patch" complain was a great meme once. I find i ironic that it has actually happened now.

> > >

> > > And i agree with Shaman there. Salvage rates should remain constant across the salvage kits and rarity tiers. We should not be tracking origins of the drops to know what we can expect to salvage them into. So, either nerf ecto salvage rates across _all_ rare gear, or reduce rare gear drops in PoF.

> >

> > Why though? This is a simple fix for the issue without punishing players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept Isles.

>

> But this change _does_ punish players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept. It means any rare Elonian weapons they get from any other map are now less valuable.

> The best solution would have been to reduce the drop rates of rare Elonian weapons in Istan and any other map where their metrics showed it was a problem. That way, the value of rare Elonian weapons stays higher, so the main PoF maps don't lose rewards. PoF maps really didn't need this nerf.

Well, think about it this way: The ways to get elonian weapons outside those two maps are.. terrible. When I finished all the maps and metas I ended with like 50 of them total in 70h of playtime or something.

In Istan you get 2 THOUSAND rares in that same time at the least.

Edit: well, i meant unidentified gear but that gives you a ton of elonian weapons so the point still stands

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > ... The "I think ecto salvage rates were nerfed this patch" complain was a great meme once. I find i ironic that it has actually happened now.

> > > >

> > > > And i agree with Shaman there. Salvage rates should remain constant across the salvage kits and rarity tiers. We should not be tracking origins of the drops to know what we can expect to salvage them into. So, either nerf ecto salvage rates across _all_ rare gear, or reduce rare gear drops in PoF.

> > >

> > > Why though? This is a simple fix for the issue without punishing players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept Isles.

> >

> > But this change _does_ punish players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept. It means any rare Elonian weapons they get from any other map are now less valuable.

> > The best solution would have been to reduce the drop rates of rare Elonian weapons in Istan and any other map where their metrics showed it was a problem. That way, the value of rare Elonian weapons stays higher, so the main PoF maps don't lose rewards. PoF maps really didn't need this nerf.

>

> Well, think about it this way: The ways to get elonian weapons outside those two maps are.. terrible. When I finished all the maps and metas I ended with like 50 of them total in 70h of playtime or something.

>

> In Istan you get 2 THOUSAND rares in that same time at the least.

>

> Edit: well, i meant unidentified gear but that gives you a ton of elonian weapons so the point still stands

Exactly, so they should cut down the number of rares you get in Istan.

> @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > ... The "I think ecto salvage rates were nerfed this patch" complain was a great meme once. I find i ironic that it has actually happened now.

> > > > >

> > > > > And i agree with Shaman there. Salvage rates should remain constant across the salvage kits and rarity tiers. We should not be tracking origins of the drops to know what we can expect to salvage them into. So, either nerf ecto salvage rates across _all_ rare gear, or reduce rare gear drops in PoF.

> > > >

> > > > Why though? This is a simple fix for the issue without punishing players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept Isles.

> > >

> > > But this change _does_ punish players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept. It means any rare Elonian weapons they get from any other map are now less valuable.

> > > The best solution would have been to reduce the drop rates of rare Elonian weapons in Istan and any other map where their metrics showed it was a problem. That way, the value of rare Elonian weapons stays higher, so the main PoF maps don't lose rewards. PoF maps really didn't need this nerf.

> >

> > Well, think about it this way: The ways to get elonian weapons outside those two maps are.. terrible. When I finished all the maps and metas I ended with like 50 of them total in 70h of playtime or something.

> >

> > In Istan you get 2 THOUSAND rares in that same time at the least.

> >

> > Edit: well, i meant unidentified gear but that gives you a ton of elonian weapons so the point still stands

>

> Exactly, so they should cut down the number of rares you get in Istan.

Which would drastically lower the replayability of the only replayble content added to the game for over a year now.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > ... The "I think ecto salvage rates were nerfed this patch" complain was a great meme once. I find i ironic that it has actually happened now.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And i agree with Shaman there. Salvage rates should remain constant across the salvage kits and rarity tiers. We should not be tracking origins of the drops to know what we can expect to salvage them into. So, either nerf ecto salvage rates across _all_ rare gear, or reduce rare gear drops in PoF.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why though? This is a simple fix for the issue without punishing players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept Isles.

> > > >

> > > > But this change _does_ punish players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept. It means any rare Elonian weapons they get from any other map are now less valuable.

> > > > The best solution would have been to reduce the drop rates of rare Elonian weapons in Istan and any other map where their metrics showed it was a problem. That way, the value of rare Elonian weapons stays higher, so the main PoF maps don't lose rewards. PoF maps really didn't need this nerf.

> > >

> > > Well, think about it this way: The ways to get elonian weapons outside those two maps are.. terrible. When I finished all the maps and metas I ended with like 50 of them total in 70h of playtime or something.

> > >

> > > In Istan you get 2 THOUSAND rares in that same time at the least.

> > >

> > > Edit: well, i meant unidentified gear but that gives you a ton of elonian weapons so the point still stands

> >

> > Exactly, so they should cut down the number of rares you get in Istan.

>

> Which would drastically lower the replayability of the only replayble content added to the game for over a year now.

Really? Istan content is DRASTICALLY lower replayability because they reduced ecto drops from elonian weapons? I think you sensationalize a little too much. I don't even think that's a big problem.