Gw1 Why it is genius and gw2 just meh.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > GW1 got build templates in 2 years. GW2 still waiting, 6 years and counting...

> >

> > Guild Wars 2 had a trading post at launch, Guild Wars 1? 13 years later, still counting.

>

> It's natural that GW2 has features that GW1 doesn't - it's called progression. Why then GW2 regressed in terms of features like build templates is a mystery yet to be solved.

To be honest, they probably didnt think it would be very needed with the lack of skills that exist in this game at launch, though theres not really an excuse *now* more than 5 years into the game it should have been added by now.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GW2's combat is more fluid, steamlined, modern. It makes GW1 feel clumsy in comparison, which makes it harder to go back to that game.

However, GW2's combat is also blander than GW1, and it always was. Every skill in your bar felt impactful in the first game, while GW2 is more about spamming stuff on cooldown while proccing one hundred different trait passives during the process. It feels somewhat mindless and unsatisfying. The bad enemy's AI only makes it worse for 90% of the pve content.

The major difference for me between the two is the art and atmosphere of the game. GW1 felt more magical, submersive, cohesive and grim which is something that drew me in a lot. I liked the isolation you felt when traversing the terrain, especially in the shiverpeaks and ascolon. I liked how different classes looked and performed a lot differntly than in gw2, which also incorporated more role identity. Some of the armor was questionable but I did like that they had profession specific armor because it gave some identity and you could tell a class by its armor which was neat.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > GW1 got build templates in 2 years. GW2 still waiting, 6 years and counting...

> > >

> > > Guild Wars 2 had a trading post at launch, Guild Wars 1? 13 years later, still counting.

> >

> > It's natural that GW2 has features that GW1 doesn't - it's called progression. Why then GW2 regressed in terms of features like build templates is a mystery yet to be solved.

>

> To be honest, they probably didnt think it would be very needed with the lack of skills that exist in this game at launch, though theres not really an excuse *now* more than 5 years into the game it should have been added by now.

Well yeah, setting up framework for their ongoing development plan with HoT that was the moment when they should have thought about this.

GW1 was a poorly made CCG disguised as an MMO, from an era of gaming where quality standards were at an all time low as people tried to ride on the wave WoW started. The controls were the clunkiest think I had played since a PS1 game, animations, environment, and the very game engine were a generation behind, it was missing a massive amount of the most basic features even after six years, and most importantly, gameplay comprised of a constant fight of one-up-manship where one ignored 99% of the games content for a handful of hard counters that decided combat by build rather than by skillful play.

The game was mediocre for its time, and terrible by todays standards, and you're all looking at it blinded by nostalgia.

Conncept.7638

and gw2 is what?

on Gw1 u had to know how to play with your team, ganks, spikes, call skill to interrupt or be an active player on that role , stop other team spikes on yout monks, avoid to get oversextended, and a ton of stuffmore....

Gw2... is only a damage output thing.. to help with the low TTK+ gimmick and powercreek momentum(this is all elements of a unskilled game, since they are more towards low skill floor than anythign else....), and PVE is way way easier on gw2....actually gw2 pve... is very dumb.

Gw2 is one of the most noobs games, it isnt even nothing close to what a simple ESL game requires from players, while gw1 has way more chance to be an ESL game than gw2 will ever be.

IF GW1 was a poorly made CCG disguised as an MMO, then gw2 is afailed wanabe moba mmo.

> @"Conncept.7638" said:

> GW1 was a poorly made CCG disguised as an MMO, from an era of gaming where quality standards were at an all time low as people tried to ride on the wave WoW started. The controls were the clunkiest think I had played since a PS1 game, animations, environment, and the very game engine were a generation behind, it was missing a massive amount of the most basic features even after six years, and most importantly, gameplay comprised of a constant fight of one-up-manship where one ignored 99% of the games content for a handful of hard counters that decided combat by build rather than by skillful play.

>

> The game was mediocre for its time, and terrible by todays standards, and you're all looking at it blinded by nostalgia.

Yeah, that wasn't anything I would agree with. But every game has it's haters I guess.

> @"Conncept.7638" said:

> GW1 was a poorly made CCG disguised as an MMO, from an era of gaming where quality standards were at an all time low as people tried to ride on the wave WoW started. The controls were the clunkiest think I had played since a PS1 game, animations, environment, and the very game engine were a generation behind, it was missing a massive amount of the most basic features even after six years, and most importantly, gameplay comprised of a constant fight of one-up-manship where one ignored 99% of the games content for a handful of hard counters that decided combat by build rather than by skillful play.

>

> The game was mediocre for its time, and terrible by todays standards, and you're all looking at it blinded by nostalgia.

GW2 is exactly the same for its time. Mediocre, lost potential. Since 2012 everyone is saying how great potential is there for GW2 and it never flourished. So maybe game has no potential at all?

> @"Deaths.9165" said:

> I play since first release day gw1 and gw2. gw1 was a geniuouse game. And the video down describes it very well. GW2 is atm the most human and pro gamer MMO on the market. But it is just meh compared to gw1. Anet could have done way better.

>

>

Guild Wars 1 was not a MMORPG it is a CORPG. That's like comparing apples and Carrots.

I think my biggest problem with GW2 is about build diversity. People in this thread who think the GW1 system was boring and the heroes/henchmen did all the work for you, never bothered to learn about the system. I would frequently work to design builds that could vanquish zones as a solo player. Each zone had different aspects to consider, different things worked in different areas and oftentimes it was the solo builds that could be the most powerful. Knowing you were the only thing to take hits was vital in a lot of solo builds because you gained energy via getting hit, which fueled your ability to murder on your own or with a single partner. There were 'meta' builds only in the sense of what was discovered at what time, but often there was a slew of other viable builds that could be designed by people who knew what they were doing and enjoyed doing it. There really is none of that in GW2, as it's just a race to the top for dps. The thing that hurts build diversity the most in GW2 is legendaries. Putting stat-swapping on items with such hefty cost puts a horrible taste in the mouth when you could change your stats almost freely in any outpost. There were runes for a small bonus, but it was more used for min-maxing than being some kind of requirement to play a certain build. Gw2 streamlined all the stats and then made it a pain to be able to even get the kind of stats you wanted. Want a build that focused on crits in gw1? Assassin traitline for critical strikes is right within each reach and easy to adjust around to what you need it to be. I've been working on getting my spellbreaker's crit up with assassin pieces, which for ascended quality requires either completely finishing 2 different dungeon mastery titles, or farming zones trying to get enough limited quantity bushes or flowers to maybe buy them.

The only way to have the same level of customization would be decking your toon out in all legendary gear, including every weapon they could use, armor, and trinkets/back, some of which on the latter doesn't exist in game. And doing so would be ridiculously time consuming and expensive, whereas GW1 gave you that level of customization for free, and made you go and hunt the skills. GW2 gives you the skills basically for free, but gates stat customization behind *insane* walls. It's part of the reason I've never been interested in making any legendary, the concept just offends me to no end how expensive and grindy it is to have something that gives a sliver of customization. I've only ever obtained Ad Infinium so that I never have to hunt stupid back items for new stats ever again. The entire system stifles creativity, and puts a cost-punishment on trying new, different, off-meta builds. Easy solution: Ascended items should be stat swappable like legendaries. They are expensive, but not ridiculous. Legendaries should be like Fissure Armor, you're paying for the look, effects, status. Not the ability to play the game as you want.

> @"Ceit.7619" said:

> I think my biggest problem with GW2 is about build diversity. People in this thread who think the GW1 system was boring and the heroes/henchmen did all the work for you, never bothered to learn about the system. I would frequently work to design builds that could vanquish zones as a solo player. Each zone had different aspects to consider, different things worked in different areas and oftentimes it was the solo builds that could be the most powerful. Knowing you were the only thing to take hits was vital in a lot of solo builds because you gained energy via getting hit, which fueled your ability to murder on your own or with a single partner. There were 'meta' builds only in the sense of what was discovered at what time, but often there was a slew of other viable builds that could be designed by people who knew what they were doing and enjoyed doing it. There really is none of that in GW2, as it's just a race to the top for dps. The thing that hurts build diversity the most in GW2 is legendaries. Putting stat-swapping on items with such hefty cost puts a horrible taste in the mouth when you could change your stats almost freely in any outpost. There were runes for a small bonus, but it was more used for min-maxing than being some kind of requirement to play a certain build. Gw2 streamlined all the stats and then made it a pain to be able to even get the kind of stats you wanted. Want a build that focused on crits in gw1? Assassin traitline for critical strikes is right within each reach and easy to adjust around to what you need it to be. I've been working on getting my spellbreaker's crit up with assassin pieces, which for ascended quality requires either completely finishing 2 different dungeon mastery titles, or farming zones trying to get enough limited quantity bushes or flowers to maybe buy them.

>

> The only way to have the same level of customization would be decking your toon out in all legendary gear, including every weapon they could use, armor, and trinkets/back, some of which on the latter doesn't exist in game. And doing so would be ridiculously time consuming and expensive, whereas GW1 gave you that level of customization for free, and made you go and hunt the skills. GW2 gives you the skills basically for free, but gates stat customization behind *insane* walls. It's part of the reason I've never been interested in making any legendary, the concept just offends me to no end how expensive and grindy it is to have something that gives a sliver of customization. I've only ever obtained Ad Infinium so that I never have to hunt stupid back items for new stats ever again. The entire system stifles creativity, and puts a cost-punishment on trying new, different, off-meta builds.

Ele/Rit ruined all solo farming fun for me because i would kill everything by myself without ever getting hit. Did i have to be careful? of course, but once i got the build down everything was cheese.

And alot of the top builds...where basically the same thing just with alternate skills here and there. You can find that in GW2 as well if you want to compare. But there where for sure builds that you only used in certain areas, and god help if you didnt use those builds.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

>

> Ele/Rit ruined all solo farming fun for me because i would kill everything by myself without ever getting hit. Did i have to be careful? of course, but once i got the build down everything was cheese.

>

> And alot of the top builds...where basically the same thing just with alternate skills here and there. You can find that in GW2 as well if you want to compare. But there where for sure builds that you only used in certain areas, and god help if you didnt use those builds.

You had to design the builds for what you were doing. Sure you couldn't just roll in there with anything, and some things worked better than others but you had options and could go for goals. Want a weapon that a particular boss drops? Make a build that can take the path to it and kill it. Want to farm the Underworld for ectos? You had the typical 55/SS builds everyone knew, but at the same time I had dual monk builds that nobody knew about that could push UW way further than a 55 monk could ever go. The 600 monk setups became known eventually, but it took quite a while because it wasn't always obvious what an intelligent builder could do when you could combine any 2 classes for effect. Rit could take care of a lot of vanquishing on it's own with offensive spirits and careful play, but it wasn't by any means the only option.

> @"Ceit.7619" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> >

> > Ele/Rit ruined all solo farming fun for me because i would kill everything by myself without ever getting hit. Did i have to be careful? of course, but once i got the build down everything was cheese.

> >

> > And alot of the top builds...where basically the same thing just with alternate skills here and there. You can find that in GW2 as well if you want to compare. But there where for sure builds that you only used in certain areas, and god help if you didnt use those builds.

>

> You had to design the builds for what you were doing. Sure you couldn't just roll in there with anything, and some things worked better than others but you had options and could go for goals. Want a weapon that a particular boss drops? Make a build that can take the path to it and kill it. Want to farm the Underworld for ectos? You had the typical 55/SS builds everyone knew, but at the same time I had dual monk builds that nobody knew about that could push UW way further than a 55 monk could ever go. The 600 monk setups became known eventually, but it took quite a while because it wasn't always obvious what an intelligent builder could do when you could combine any 2 classes for effect. Rit could take care of a lot of vanquishing on it's own with offensive spirits and careful play, but it wasn't by any means the only option.

But you didnt have to at all either, you could run through that entire game with the same skill on your bar in every slot if you had a healer who knew what they where doing. And you could actually do that because that game had so many duplicate skills. I never played around with anything besides an ele, i didnt need to, there was no reason for me to have other classes in GW1. NONE. Eles could do everything, and did everything, with very little changes to their build. Jesus if you werent running the Savannah heat build in dungeons which was OP as hell nobody wanted you as an ele. Sure you /could/ make your own build,, but there where meta builds that where probably more effective with rare exceptions.

Honestly though? im glad they got rid of the sheer amount of skills that game had, because regardless of if they had them or not, youd still get locked into 1-2 builds which where the best at what they did.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

>

> But you didnt have to at all either, you could run through that entire game with the same skill on your bar in every slot if you had a healer who knew what they where doing. And you could actually do that because that game had so many duplicate skills. I never played around with anything besides an ele, i didnt need to, there was no reason for me to have other classes in GW1. NONE. Eles could do everything, and did everything, with very little changes to their build. Jesus if you werent running the Savannah heat build in dungeons which was OP as hell nobody wanted you as an ele. Sure you /could/ make your own build,, but there where meta builds that where probably more effective with rare exceptions.

>

> Honestly though? im glad they got rid of the sheer amount of skills that game had, because regardless of if they had them or not, youd still get locked into 1-2 builds which where the best at what they did.

Given that you are openly admitting you didn't experiment with other classes and builds kind of takes the thunder away from your opinion to me. Sure, an ele could drop fire on enemies and for the most part would be fine with a supporting healer, but the original point I was making was about solo-styles, dual styles, and really about *possibilities*. A lot of people played that game entirely ignorant of the way mobs worked. A lot of people did not know there were agro mechanics, or had the slightest idea of what they were. Knowing about the possibilities and intricacies is what made the combat interesting in GW1. Some people don't like to look at mechanics that deeply, and those people could still play the game and have fun. Then there were other people who could have a whole different world of fun in other ways, and that is a bonus, not a negative.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > GW1 got build templates in 2 years. GW2 still waiting, 6 years and counting...

> >

> > Guild Wars 2 had a trading post at launch, Guild Wars 1? 13 years later, still counting.

>

> It's natural that GW2 has features that GW1 doesn't - it's called progression. Why then GW2 regressed in terms of features like build templates is a mystery yet to be solved.

It's no mystery ... build templates affect revenue and while they are nice, they aren't necessary; it's probably as simple as this: there are lots of other things they work on that generate more money.

There isn't a regression here; GW2 isn't a game based on GW1. People need to stop pretending that there is something more than lore in common with these two games. The comparisons don't make sense.

> @"Ceit.7619" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> >

> > But you didnt have to at all either, you could run through that entire game with the same skill on your bar in every slot if you had a healer who knew what they where doing. And you could actually do that because that game had so many duplicate skills. I never played around with anything besides an ele, i didnt need to, there was no reason for me to have other classes in GW1. NONE. Eles could do everything, and did everything, with very little changes to their build. Jesus if you werent running the Savannah heat build in dungeons which was OP as hell nobody wanted you as an ele. Sure you /could/ make your own build,, but there where meta builds that where probably more effective with rare exceptions.

> >

> > Honestly though? im glad they got rid of the sheer amount of skills that game had, because regardless of if they had them or not, youd still get locked into 1-2 builds which where the best at what they did.

>

> Given that you are openly admitting you didn't experiment with other classes and builds kind of takes the thunder away from your opinion to me. Sure, an ele could drop fire on enemies and for the most part would be fine with a supporting healer, but the original point I was making was about solo-styles, dual styles, and really about *possibilities*. A lot of people played that game entirely ignorant of the way mobs worked. A lot of people did not know there were agro mechanics, or had the slightest idea of what they were. Knowing about the possibilities and intricacies is what made the combat interesting in GW1. Some people don't like to look at mechanics that deeply, and those people could still play the game and have fun. Then there were other people who could have a whole different world of fun in other ways, and that is a bonus, not a negative.

And just because i played ele as my main, doesnt mean i didnt use other secondary professions, and my opinion shouldnt be lessened at all. I ran two builds at most, i had three at one point but they nerfed the primary skill for the third build and made it no longer usable. I solo farmed all the time(Both in the underworld and the regular world) as an Ele/Rit, when i was doing group content i played an E/Me, those are the only two builds i needed, at one point i played a ritualist spirit spammer, but when i realized Ele could do everything my rit did, and basically almost all the other classes i did have, *better* for what i wanted i never touched them again. The players who didnt know about agro mechanics i dont know about at all, though there are players in GW2 who dont understand aggro either so im not surprised.

I find the combat in GW2 much more engaging than i ever did in GW1. The ability to move constantly in combat coupled with dodges, and skills that actually reward you for moving make GW2s combat more active, and i like that compared to GW1s very static, and thus very dull combat, despite the builds that could be made and used.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> >

>

It is a different game with different sensibilities. Anyone can see that. There were more skills in Guild Wars 1, more things to keep track of. There was a build complexity that isn't here.

Not to mention that both SPvP and WvW saves your builds at least, so we need fewer templates generally. It's not like I need to change my build to run around most of this game, pretty much ever. The same wasn't necessarily try in Guild Wars 1. The game didn't go backwards. It's just the some people are still playing the old game, without acknowledging that the game has changed. I want build templates too...but I'd rather have a trading post.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > GW1 got build templates in 2 years. GW2 still waiting, 6 years and counting...

> > >

> > > Guild Wars 2 had a trading post at launch, Guild Wars 1? 13 years later, still counting.

> >

> > It's natural that GW2 has features that GW1 doesn't - it's called progression. Why then GW2 regressed in terms of features like build templates is a mystery yet to be solved.

>

> To be honest, they probably didnt think it would be very needed with the lack of skills that exist in this game at launch, though theres not really an excuse *now* more than 5 years into the game it should have been added by now.

It's a priority for a lot of us. It's not a priority for them. We already have builds for WvW and SPvP seperately and now they have worked with ARCDPS to give us external build templates anyway, which apparently lots of people use. They don't have voice programs either but I don't see a lot of people complaining that voice isn't in the game, because we have voice options. The same is now true for build templates. And yes, I'd prefer them in the game too. But this thread is about why Guild Wars 1 was brilliant and Guild Wars 2 is meh. My answer is I'd rather have a trading post than build templates any day of the week.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > GW1 got build templates in 2 years. GW2 still waiting, 6 years and counting...

> > > >

> > > > Guild Wars 2 had a trading post at launch, Guild Wars 1? 13 years later, still counting.

> > >

> > > It's natural that GW2 has features that GW1 doesn't - it's called progression. Why then GW2 regressed in terms of features like build templates is a mystery yet to be solved.

> >

> > To be honest, they probably didnt think it would be very needed with the lack of skills that exist in this game at launch, though theres not really an excuse *now* more than 5 years into the game it should have been added by now.

>

> It's a priority for a lot of us. It's not a priority for them. We already have builds for WvW and SPvP seperately and now they have worked with ARCDPS to give us external build templates anyway, which apparently lots of people use. They don't have voice programs either but I don't see a lot of people complaining that voice isn't in the game, because we have voice options. The same is now true for build templates. And yes, I'd prefer them in the game too. But this thread is about why Guild Wars 1 was brilliant and Guild Wars 2 is meh. My answer is I'd rather have a trading post than build templates any day of the week.

Yes i know, itd actually be nice to have in game. But i agree, id rather have a trading post. Hell i could list a ton of things id rather have than the things that everyone gets all nostalgic for in GW1.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > GW1 got build templates in 2 years. GW2 still waiting, 6 years and counting...

> > > > >

> > > > > Guild Wars 2 had a trading post at launch, Guild Wars 1? 13 years later, still counting.

> > > >

> > > > It's natural that GW2 has features that GW1 doesn't - it's called progression. Why then GW2 regressed in terms of features like build templates is a mystery yet to be solved.

> > >

> > > To be honest, they probably didnt think it would be very needed with the lack of skills that exist in this game at launch, though theres not really an excuse *now* more than 5 years into the game it should have been added by now.

> >

> > It's a priority for a lot of us. It's not a priority for them. We already have builds for WvW and SPvP seperately and now they have worked with ARCDPS to give us external build templates anyway, which apparently lots of people use. They don't have voice programs either but I don't see a lot of people complaining that voice isn't in the game, because we have voice options. The same is now true for build templates. And yes, I'd prefer them in the game too. But this thread is about why Guild Wars 1 was brilliant and Guild Wars 2 is meh. My answer is I'd rather have a trading post than build templates any day of the week.

>

> Yes i know, itd actually be nice to have in game. But i agree, id rather have a trading post. Hell i could list a ton of things id rather have than the things that everyone gets all nostalgic for in GW1.

I only brought it up because a poster brought it up as an example of something Guild Wars 1 got early that Guild Wars 2 doesn't have. But there are plenty of things in this game that Guild Wars 1 didn't have that makes my life much better, from account bound dyes to the number of dyes to the way the wardrobe works, to not being pathed, to being able to both jump and swim. It's very annoying to be a brave ranger exploring the wilds in Guild Wars 1, get up to a log on the ground and say, "Sorry got to turn around. I can defeat any creature I meet, but that log is just too much for me to step over".

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > GW1 got build templates in 2 years. GW2 still waiting, 6 years and counting...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Guild Wars 2 had a trading post at launch, Guild Wars 1? 13 years later, still counting.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's natural that GW2 has features that GW1 doesn't - it's called progression. Why then GW2 regressed in terms of features like build templates is a mystery yet to be solved.

> > > >

> > > > To be honest, they probably didnt think it would be very needed with the lack of skills that exist in this game at launch, though theres not really an excuse *now* more than 5 years into the game it should have been added by now.

> > >

> > > It's a priority for a lot of us. It's not a priority for them. We already have builds for WvW and SPvP seperately and now they have worked with ARCDPS to give us external build templates anyway, which apparently lots of people use. They don't have voice programs either but I don't see a lot of people complaining that voice isn't in the game, because we have voice options. The same is now true for build templates. And yes, I'd prefer them in the game too. But this thread is about why Guild Wars 1 was brilliant and Guild Wars 2 is meh. My answer is I'd rather have a trading post than build templates any day of the week.

> >

> > Yes i know, itd actually be nice to have in game. But i agree, id rather have a trading post. Hell i could list a ton of things id rather have than the things that everyone gets all nostalgic for in GW1.

>

> I only brought it up because a poster brought it up as an example of something Guild Wars 1 got early that Guild Wars 2 doesn't have. But there are plenty of things in this game that Guild Wars 1 didn't have that makes my life much better, from account bound dyes to the number of dyes to the way the wardrobe works, to not being pathed, to being able to both jump and swim. It's very annoying to be a brave ranger exploring the wilds in Guild Wars 1, get up to a log on the ground and say, "Sorry got to turn around. I can defeat any creature I meet, but that log is just too much for me to step over".

and as i mentioned a few minutes ago, the active combat, being able to dodge, glide, mounts(even though i didnt want them in the first place, very well done anet on changing my mind there), multiple playable races, massive guild sizes, ability to be in multiple guilds, the weapon variety we have...i could go on but those are *why* gw2 is a better game in my opinion.

> @"Imba.9451" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Imba.9451" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > @"Imba.9451" said:

> > > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > >

> > > > > > I GET you like GW1 more, but that's not a definitive, objective assessment of what the differences between GW1 and GW2 are and really doesn't have a place in this forum to begin with. Frankly, your opinion has little relevance if you're going to compare such dissimilar games ... and other people have said as much as well. The only thing I can say is that if you don't like the kind of game GW2 delivers to you, there isn't a point in complaining about it ... go play one you do like. There really isn't any purpose to the thread.

> > > > >

> > > > > Arenanet hold the guild wars license. While agreeing, that it won't happen, some people hope that, if enough people make their voices heard, they will develop something like GW1 again. So, yes, it does belong here. And exchange is what a forum is all about. And, as I said earlier, you can compare gameplay aspects of different games - especially if one carries the name of another. The number behind it doesn't mean it's a clean cut, as countless of video game franchises will proove to you.

> > > > >

> > > > > One could easily twist your argument around and say: If you don't like someone raising his voice for being dissappointed in not being able to experience new GW1-like gameplay, then don't comment on it. But as I said, thats what a forum is about: Exchange. And not telling people what and what not to post.

> > > > >

> > > > > The upcoming forum chat even implies Arenanet not having forgotten about those that hold GW1 close to their heart.

> > > >

> > > > That's sort of the problem ... why would any reasonable gamer expect that GW2 would be a 'GW1-like gameplay experience'? They shouldn't. It's a COMPLETELY different game ... even fundamentally so.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I dunno how many people expect GW2 to be GW1-like, as GW2 exists long enough to know what you're buying.

> >

> > I do .. it should be zero. Even when the game was released we were warned. Thus, the complaints and the comparisons don't sound to be founded on good logic right off the hop.

> >

> >

>

> Well, to be fair noone here expects GW2 to be GW1. We are beyond that now. But some people, including me, simply wish for something like GW1 to arise again. Thats a whole different thing, and no marketing, no warning how different something will be will change that. And to be honest, I don't see a problem with it. Let people try to be heard. It's not like they are going to take your fun away, as GW2 is GW2 and will never be changed anyway.

Yeah they made it to a mmo instead of a co op rpg