Suggestion: Global meta event

Just returned to the game after a ~4 year break. I see that there are zone-wide meta events, at least from what I can see in HoT content. Little events that funnel up to a larger effort where you're periodically awarded based on the % the server/instance did for the meta event (or something like that). I love it.

Back when I was playing a lot (during the LS1/LS2 days, the intro to Ascended armor days) Arenanet held a lot of AMA and Chris Whiteside (then the studio head I believe?) was hosting forum driven discussions with players. I had a suggestion in one of those forums for exactly what we have going on right now: player driven / progression meta events. Only, my suggestion was on a grander scale. My focus was to get players out in the world, into lesser played zones instead of Orr and Dungeons/Fractals/WvW.

I suggested that there be a global progression bar where our contributions across all zones are calculated into and we are rewarded accordingly.

Example: I log in and see the global meta percentage is at 47%... I could head to Queensdale where there are more players and more bosses and events happening and where player progression/contribution/performance is probably 80 or 90%. But I wont be a lot of help there. I'll go to a lesser played zone (maybe Harathi Hinterlands) and try to help out there. Harathi maybe has a 15% completion/contribution percentage. Maybe I complete a bunch of events there, and bring it up to 50 or 60%. Our global percent is now 60% because there was more to gain by playing in a zone that needed more help. And then we are rewarded on a timer basis, or something of that sort, based on our global %.

Just my suggestion :)

I think you're definitely on to something here. The zone-wide metas are superb fun, but there's lore reasons for them. Setting aside the obvious technical difficulties with programming it in, you'd have to come up with a lore reason for it. The main threat for Tyria is Zhaitan, who is taken care of in Personal Story. Scarlet Briar was the next closest and she was dispatched in LWS1 (something I wish I'd been around to see!).

I could maybe see something like this coming in a future LW update. Kinda how S2 had you trapse around Tyria for a bit to prepare for the assault on Mordremoth, the failure of which leads to HoT. There could be a LW event that takes place across Tyria to prepare for a possible third expansion.

> @"cesmode.4257" said:

> Just returned to the game after a ~4 year break. I see that there are zone-wide meta events, at least from what I can see in HoT content. Little events that funnel up to a larger effort where you're periodically awarded based on the % the server/instance did for the meta event (or something like that). I love it.

>

> Back when I was playing a lot (during the LS1/LS2 days, the intro to Ascended armor days) Arenanet held a lot of AMA and Chris Whiteside (then the studio head I believe?) was hosting forum driven discussions with players. I had a suggestion in one of those forums for exactly what we have going on right now: player driven / progression meta events. Only, my suggestion was on a grander scale. My focus was to get players out in the world, into lesser played zones instead of Orr and Dungeons/Fractals/WvW.

>

> I suggested that there be a global progression bar where our contributions across all zones are calculated into and we are rewarded accordingly.

>

> Example: I log in and see the global meta percentage is at 47%... I could head to Queensdale where there are more players and more bosses and events happening and where player progression/contribution/performance is probably 80 or 90%. But I wont be a lot of help there. I'll go to a lesser played zone (maybe Harathi Hinterlands) and try to help out there. Harathi maybe has a 15% completion/contribution percentage. Maybe I complete a bunch of events there, and bring it up to 50 or 60%. Our global percent is now 60% because there was more to gain by playing in a zone that needed more help. And then we are rewarded on a timer basis, or something of that sort, based on our global %.

>

> Just my suggestion :)

>

How would this work with the megaserver? One Queensdale could be at 80%, but another at only 15%, which would be the true "global percent"? It sounds like a fun idea, I just don't know how well it would work with the current megaserver design.

> @"cesmode.4257" said:

> Back when I was playing a lot (during the LS1/LS2 days, the intro to Ascended armor days) Arenanet held a lot of AMA and Chris Whiteside (then the studio head I believe?) was hosting forum driven discussions with players. I had a suggestion in one of those forums for exactly what we have going on right now: player driven / progression meta events. Only, my suggestion was on a grander scale. My focus was to get players out in the world, into lesser played zones instead of Orr and Dungeons/Fractals/WvW.

Like the undead invasion current event that is live now, and launched as part of LS4 E2?

There are a bunch of these things out there now, just differently implemented to what you suggest.