I need some inspiration

I love Guild Wars. I love Guild Wars 2. But I find myself lacking in direction when I play the game.

I'm not an Achievement hound, so trying to farm bounties or story instances for such trivial amounts of AP and/or mediocre ascended trinkets doesn't hold my attention.

Fractals are fun, but a little repetitive and grinding up personal level to reach the end of it is proving...difficult, at best.

I have a legendary weapon and am not looking forward to trying to do another one. I'd rather accumulate the materials more naturally this time around.

As far as raids go, I main Mesmer and abhor their primary role in raiding parties. I don't have the experience on another class necessary for raids.

I'm pretty garb-garb at PvP, and I completely don't understand how WvW works.

The biggest thrill I get is playing the story. PoF and LW story have been great, albeit temporary, reasons to continue playing, but with release schedules being so far apart, I find myself losing interest over and over.

Can anyone maybe share some positive experiences to get me excited about setting a goal in the game again?

I was recently in the same boat but found some new carrots on a stick to chase after:

1) Stellar weapons (finished staff; working on scepter)

2) Grieving trinkets (which means farming bounties for elegy mosaics; not “mediocre” depending on profession)

3) PoF Act 3 masteries (rewards Grieving amulet)

4) Second, ascended light armor set (my sixth, total)

Maybe there are some shiny skins that have slipped under your radar?

> @"TigStripe.2379" said:

> I love Guild Wars. I love Guild Wars 2. But I find myself lacking in direction when I play the game.

>

> I'm not an Achievement hound, so trying to farm bounties or story instances for such trivial amounts of AP and/or mediocre ascended trinkets doesn't hold my attention.

> Fractals are fun, but a little repetitive and grinding up personal level to reach the end of it is proving...difficult, at best.

> I have a legendary weapon and am not looking forward to trying to do another one. I'd rather accumulate the materials more naturally this time around.

> As far as raids go, I main Mesmer and abhor their primary role in raiding parties. I don't have the experience on another class necessary for raids.

> I'm pretty garb-garb at PvP, and I completely don't understand how WvW works.

> The biggest thrill I get is playing the story. PoF and LW story have been great, albeit temporary, reasons to continue playing, but with release schedules being so far apart, I find myself losing interest over and over.

>

> Can anyone maybe share some positive experiences to get me excited about setting a goal in the game again?

For me, the attention keeper is roaming in WvW. Yes, it can be repetitive with flipping camps, etc but roaming around alone is always exciting. Running into other sole roamers, groups, zergs keep things pretty fun for me. Im horrible at PvP with rock-like reflexes but some times I win. Thats always a treat.

Run some other classes through story? That might give you the experience with them to find one to play in raids that you enjoy. Kind of hard to give you a goal when you've given a list of what you don't like but precious little of what you DO like.

Im on the same boat.

I have near 3-4 years of game, 1 character of each class, and months ago i was grinding hard wvw, then come back to pve, and i do some pvp-season for rewards.

my little inspiration come from build "thematic" characters, which implies grind for some skins, but even that is not holding me more. for example, I wanted a Dead Eye as "technological assassin" style, so I bought the inquest related skins from the Gem Store and made the LS4 ep 2 backpack.

It is because of this that I say that I hope something "great" happens. Because if the new episode is like the others, it is something that I finish in 1 day or less.

I'm currently looking forward to WVW changes to see some return to the game.

> @"Zephyr.5382" said:

> I was recently in the same boat but found some new carrots on a stick to chase after:

>

> 1) Stellar weapons (finished staff; working on scepter)

> 2) Grieving trinkets (which means farming bounties for elegy mosaics; not “mediocre” depending on profession)

> 3) PoF Act 3 masteries (rewards Grieving amulet)

> 4) Second, ascended light armor set (my sixth, total)

>

> Maybe there are some shiny skins that have slipped under your radar?

I hadn't seen anything about the Stellar weapons yet. That gives me a reason to stick around Istan that I didn't have before.

> @"Zephyr.5382" said:

> I was recently in the same boat but found some new carrots on a stick to chase after:

>

> 1) Stellar weapons (finished staff; working on scepter)

> 2) Grieving trinkets (which means farming bounties for elegy mosaics; not “mediocre” depending on profession)

> 3) PoF Act 3 masteries (rewards Grieving amulet)

> 4) Second, ascended light armor set (my sixth, total)

>

> Maybe there are some shiny skins that have slipped under your radar?

Wow nice, I never saw stellar weapons. They look great. thanks.

> I love Guild Wars. I love Guild Wars 2. But I find myself lacking in direction when I play the game.

> The biggest thrill I get is playing the story. PoF and LW story have been great, albeit temporary, reasons to continue playing, but with release schedules being so far apart, I find myself losing interest over and over.

I'd strongly suggest you take advantage of the fact that, at cap, you don't lose power as the story advances and just ... don't play. Not in a "get out, you kitten" way, but rather in the sense that if you don't get joy from playing in the gap between those chunks of content, listen to that feeling, and respond to it.

Fill the gap with something else. Path of Exile is free, and surprisingly fun if you like Diablo 2. Try Bless Online, and remind yourself of why GW2 is so awesome. Find some other random game and enjoy it. Just ... don't force yourself to play GW2 when you don't feel like it.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"TigStripe.2379" said:

> > I love Guild Wars. I love Guild Wars 2. But I find myself lacking in direction when I play the game.

> > The biggest thrill I get is playing the story. PoF and LW story have been great, albeit temporary, reasons to continue playing, but with release schedules being so far apart, I find myself losing interest over and over.

>

> I'd strongly suggest you take advantage of the fact that, at cap, you don't lose power as the story advances and just ... don't play. Not in a "get out, you kitten" way, but rather in the sense that if you don't get joy from playing in the gap between those chunks of content, listen to that feeling, and respond to it.

>

> Fill the gap with something else. Path of Exile is free, and surprisingly fun if you like Diablo 2. Try Bless Online, and remind yourself of why GW2 is so awesome. Find some other random game and enjoy it. Just ... don't force yourself to play GW2 when you don't feel like it.

I do tend to play a lot less after about three weeks following a LW release. I'm just one of those hardcore fans of the series that wants to play it more, it just doesn't engage me much.

I really do love this game, I just find myself without direction a lot of the time.

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"TigStripe.2379" said:

> > > I love Guild Wars. I love Guild Wars 2. But I find myself lacking in direction when I play the game.

> > > The biggest thrill I get is playing the story. PoF and LW story have been great, albeit temporary, reasons to continue playing, but with release schedules being so far apart, I find myself losing interest over and over.

> >

> > I'd strongly suggest you take advantage of the fact that, at cap, you don't lose power as the story advances and just ... don't play. Not in a "get out, you kitten" way, but rather in the sense that if you don't get joy from playing in the gap between those chunks of content, listen to that feeling, and respond to it.

> >

> > Fill the gap with something else. Path of Exile is free, and surprisingly fun if you like Diablo 2. Try Bless Online, and remind yourself of why GW2 is so awesome. Find some other random game and enjoy it. Just ... don't force yourself to play GW2 when you don't feel like it.

>

> I do tend to play a lot less after about three weeks following a LW release. I'm just one of those hardcore fans of the series that wants to play it more, it just doesn't engage me much. I really do love this game, I just find myself without direction a lot of the time.

I completely understand, and part of what motivates me right now are working on the legendary trinket (even if I want it in green rather than purple) and the Touch of Madness, along with just generally enjoying the "freecell" nature of simple to understand, familiar content being repeatable without having to invest too much effort into figuring new things out -- I find that relaxing.

I guess my point is just to encourage you to think about the question of if digging out a new goal is actually the right strategy here. If you do find one, that is two hundred percent cool, and I'm glad you will have things to enjoy. I'd be most happy if you walk away from this thread with something you will enjoy to do, no matter what that is. :)

I have finally really just got into guild wars 2, it took me many tries, right now the masteries is a big factor for me, but I am worried I will end up bored without any real gear progression, which also leaves me conflicted as I cannot stand gear progression in most mmorps because of bad rng and feeling forced to raid for better gear later. But I am not sure if I can enjoy chasing just skins. But then again I love flashy armor and weapons, but I have another issue im on an asura on my main and they look to small on him so far, but I love his animations.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"TigStripe.2379" said:

> > I love Guild Wars. I love Guild Wars 2. But I find myself lacking in direction when I play the game.

> > The biggest thrill I get is playing the story. PoF and LW story have been great, albeit temporary, reasons to continue playing, but with release schedules being so far apart, I find myself losing interest over and over.

>

> I'd strongly suggest you take advantage of the fact that, at cap, you don't lose power as the story advances and just ... don't play. Not in a "get out, you kitten" way, but rather in the sense that if you don't get joy from playing in the gap between those chunks of content, listen to that feeling, and respond to it.

>

> Fill the gap with something else. Path of Exile is free, and surprisingly fun if you like Diablo 2. Try Bless Online, and remind yourself of why GW2 is so awesome. Find some other random game and enjoy it. Just ... don't force yourself to play GW2 when you don't feel like it.

That's actually some pretty sound advice!

Just don't do what I did and try on the Souls franchise.

Ruined my life, but at least enhanced my GW2 dodging skills... not to mention my skills at suffering frustration, torment, anguish and utter defeat :#

The simple question is: what do you want out of this game?

You've expressed interest in the story/ies being told within Guild Wars 2, but only mentioned playing through Personal Story content. What if I were to tell you that Guild Wars 2 has hundreds to thousands of other stories to tell you? Some are small: short conversations between NPC's, events or NPC movements that tell a story, self-contained quest missions (such as Ravious's Rats), etc. Some stories are larger: movements of the Pact soldiers, explorers in the jungles, the various "lesser race" tribes daily lives, etc., etc. It may not be as exciting as battling a god, or studying and taking down a dragon, but there are some fascinating stories hidden in dialogues that you probably just dismissed as ambient chatter the first time through.

I would suggest searching that out: find the hidden stories, learn about these characters that aren't characters _per se_. Let the world tell you its stories and not just yours.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> I would suggest searching that out: find the hidden stories, learn about these characters that aren't characters _per se_. Let the world tell you its stories and not just yours.

That's a good suggestion, but I (and probably most players, really) am far more interested in the story you play, not the story you read. If that weren't the case, I'd go on a lore spree and read all the books I can find in-game. That'd certainly keep me occupied for a while.

I want to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread - some great suggestions and ideas. I was more looking for the feel goods about the game, something to get me jazzed up about playing it, not necessarily goals. But everyone here's been great at pointing out things. I've got a few short-term goals in mind now, that hopefully lead to more far-reaching ones.

> > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > I would suggest searching that out: find the hidden stories, learn about these characters that aren't characters _per se_. Let the world tell you its stories and not just yours.

>

> That's a good suggestion, but I (and probably most players, really) am far more interested in the story you play, not the story you read. If that weren't the case, I'd go on a lore spree and read all the books I can find in-game. That'd certainly keep me occupied for a while.

>

I never said the stories were written. ;)

Quite the opposite, in fact. They're happening out in the world. All you need is your ears up, your eyes open, and a little patience. Here's an old example from Youtube podcaster Bridger (aka Sound Strategy Network), who ran the Tales of Tyria podcast during pre-launch, through years 1 and 2: