k im done

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > It's not an issue with your game but with your internet connection (and/or network settings).

>

> it's confirmed issue with the game which they don't have fix for

No, it's not. Each person's situation is different. Some people have an issue with the game, but lots of people claiming an issue with the game have an issue somewhere in the pipeline between their computer and ANet's servers. It's not possible to say what the issue is for the OP without doing some (relatively easy & quick) diagnostics. The OP can do those on their own or get help from ANet to do them.

It will turn out that some people will have issues with their router, their modem, their WiFi, their network card, overheating in their computer, their ISP, their graphics card, or something else that isn't immediately obvious. For some, it will be software, neither GW2 nor Windows, or sometimes several things at once.

The error messages the game throws out (or for that matter, most software) isn't always helpful. It's like when a car's computer reports "out of oil," when the issue is a cracked engine case (which would result in the engine lacking enough oil).

For most people, it's going to turn out to be a network issue (maybe at home, maybe near ANet). For a tiny fraction, it will turn out to be the game itself.

> @"merkaveteran.8064"

" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > Apparently you don't understand that all those fixes listed by Gateless have absolutely nothing to do with the game...every one of those fixes(with the exception of running the repair scan) have to do with network/isp routings...which ArenaNet has no control over. Those command line prompts he used are specific settings to help your computer deal with this issue...and the reason I'm telling you it's not the game is because if it was the game then more people would have the problem. The fact that it doesn't affect everyone tells you that it's out of ArenaNets control.

> >

> > As for having more checkpoints in story instances, the vast majority of story instances aren't long enough to need a checkpoint...and to implement it in older content would require to much work...it has been instituted in some of the newer stories, but I really don't see the problem with starting over, personally.

>

> 1. Just because you're changing local settings doesn't mean the game is faultless -- no other game I play experiences these kinds of disconnects. If GW2 runs its instance servers in a way that leads to disconnects on certain common network configurations, that's a problem with the game, not those common network configurations.

As an internet user the only part of the network you can control is the part in your home...everything between your home and the server is out of your control...the vast majority of disconnects actually have to do with packet loss, which is a direct result of the route your data takes from your home to the server and return, the only way to fix that is to do a trace route, find where the problem is and then work with your ISP to resolve it...good luck with that.

> 2. You believe that if a bug "doesn't affect everyone," then it's not a bug? Very interesting mindset

> 3. How do you know how many people are experiencing this problem? I see guildies complaining about it on a semi-frequent basis, and when researching fixes, found long threads dating back more than a year.

See the reply to number 1. - it's invariably the same problem, but most people don't bother with doing a trace route and checking for packet loss, but that is usually the culprit(or has been found to be the culprit in a number of cases).

> 4. You don't see the problem with wasting an hour of a player's time? And doing so multiple times as the player -- possibly a new player weighing whether to invest time into this game -- works their way through personal story? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willful_blindness

>

I would think that someone playing an MMO is already expecting to spend several hours per session, not withstanding this games predilection for catering to "casual"(definition is variable) game players. Also, as has been stated by ArenaNet in the past, they can't go back to old content and add in checkpoints, it's technically not feasible...if I remember correctly you could have the same problem in the first game...which was just as annoying, but you dealt with it.

Not even sure why Gateless.8406 responded to my post that quoted his post, when I was responding to merkaveteran.8064 statement that it was related to the game, but to each his own.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"merkaveteran.8064"

> " said:

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > Apparently you don't understand that all those fixes listed by Gateless have absolutely nothing to do with the game...every one of those fixes(with the exception of running the repair scan) have to do with network/isp routings...which ArenaNet has no control over. Those command line prompts he used are specific settings to help your computer deal with this issue...and the reason I'm telling you it's not the game is because if it was the game then more people would have the problem. The fact that it doesn't affect everyone tells you that it's out of ArenaNets control.

> > >

> > > As for having more checkpoints in story instances, the vast majority of story instances aren't long enough to need a checkpoint...and to implement it in older content would require to much work...it has been instituted in some of the newer stories, but I really don't see the problem with starting over, personally.

> >

> > 1. Just because you're changing local settings doesn't mean the game is faultless -- no other game I play experiences these kinds of disconnects. If GW2 runs its instance servers in a way that leads to disconnects on certain common network configurations, that's a problem with the game, not those common network configurations.

>

> As an internet user the only part of the network you can control is the part in your home...everything between your home and the server is out of your control...the vast majority of disconnects actually have to do with packet loss, which is a direct result of the route your data takes from your home to the server and return, the only way to fix that is to do a trace route, find where the problem is and then work with your ISP to resolve it...good luck with that.

This is absolutely true. Also true, @"merkaveteran.8064", is that this does not lead to "disconnects on **certain common network configurations**". You would be absolutely correct in your complaint if it did ... but it doesn't. Almost none of the players experience these problems. Don't get me wrong: they suck for the people who do, but ... this is not the universal experience.

Anyway, to bring some concrete value, I'm curious: if anyone who experiences these disconnects wants to `tcpdump` the connection and all, I'd love to know what the shape of the traffic right at the end while the cutscene runs, and the disconnect triggers, looks like. (You can use the native capture stuff, or Microsoft Message Analyzer to do the capture, too, if you want.)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > It's not an issue with your game but with your internet connection (and/or network settings).

> >

> > it's confirmed issue with the game which they don't have fix for

>

> No, it's not. Each person's situation is different. Some people have an issue with the game, but lots of people claiming an issue with the game have an issue somewhere in the pipeline between their computer and ANet's servers. It's not possible to say what the issue is for the OP without doing some (relatively easy & quick) diagnostics. The OP can do those on their own or get help from ANet to do them.

>

> It will turn out that some people will have issues with their router, their modem, their WiFi, their network card, overheating in their computer, their ISP, their graphics card, or something else that isn't immediately obvious. For some, it will be software, neither GW2 nor Windows, or sometimes several things at once.

>

> The error messages the game throws out (or for that matter, most software) isn't always helpful. It's like when a car's computer reports "out of oil," when the issue is a cracked engine case (which would result in the engine lacking enough oil).

>

> For most people, it's going to turn out to be a network issue (maybe at home, maybe near ANet). For a tiny fraction, it will turn out to be the game itself.

you quoting a dev or sharing your personal opinion?

• 4 weeks later...

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> If there's any mission that could use being redone that's Victory or Death.

>

> It could use checkpoints after boarding the first ship, after defeating the mouth, after boarding the second ship, and after Zhaitan goes down, then the actual fight against the downed Zhaitan, finishing what's left of him with our own skills, not pressing 1.

especially since there is still a chance that you can't target the dragons so you have to restart it and do the whole damn thing over again. I seriously am having second thoughts about this game because of this quest alone. I have came back to the game and have been loving it. I started a new character and went through the whole story quest. It has been so fun. Then I get to "Victory or Death" and the cannons bug out so I can't target the dragons I sat there for a half hour trying everything I could. At 1 point I went back in the ship and searched on google for an answer. Thats when I started seeing all the comments about the bugs on this quest

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > It's not an issue with your game but with your internet connection (and/or network settings).

> > >

> > > it's confirmed issue with the game which they don't have fix for

> >

> > No, it's not. Each person's situation is different. Some people have an issue with the game, but lots of people claiming an issue with the game have an issue somewhere in the pipeline between their computer and ANet's servers. It's not possible to say what the issue is for the OP without doing some (relatively easy & quick) diagnostics. The OP can do those on their own or get help from ANet to do them.

> >

> > It will turn out that some people will have issues with their router, their modem, their WiFi, their network card, overheating in their computer, their ISP, their graphics card, or something else that isn't immediately obvious. For some, it will be software, neither GW2 nor Windows, or sometimes several things at once.

> >

> > The error messages the game throws out (or for that matter, most software) isn't always helpful. It's like when a car's computer reports "out of oil," when the issue is a cracked engine case (which would result in the engine lacking enough oil).

> >

> > For most people, it's going to turn out to be a network issue (maybe at home, maybe near ANet). For a tiny fraction, it will turn out to be the game itself.

>

> you quoting a dev or sharing your personal opinion?

Technically, I guess, that'd be personal opinion. @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" is absolutely correct, though, and while that is technically "personal opinion" from me, as well, it is grounded in more than 20 years real world experience running systems like these, so, y'know, "expert opinion" of the style they trot out in, like, court cases, that sort of thing.

Which is to say: there is a reasonable chance that the OPs issue is the same as the known issue of disconnections during cutscenes that hits only a small number of players, but for them is very frequent. There is also a real chance that it is *not* that problem.

Since they came here to ask other players for help, rather than support, we offer them the usual advice: here are the easy things to eliminate, which could be causing this, so that we can try and reduce it from "could be all the things @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" named" to "a much smaller set of things that are sadly harder to fix".