did i must boost my chr to 80 to play hart of fire?

You have to be level 80 to do the story step yourself. You cannot even start it below level 80, it's locked in your story journal.

**You do not need to use the boost** however - you can get to level 80 just by playing the game and then do it. The boost is only needed if you want to unlock the raptor right away.

I'm not sure about getting a level 80 character to take you through the story, I'd never heard of that idea before. It might work (and it would be helpful if someone could try it and report back). If you're very low level you'll need to stay away from the enemies as everything in there will kill you very quickly.

I honestly would advice against getting a mount as a new player...much of game experience is exploration, and mounts werent designed for core maps...you gonna miss a lot of stuff roaming around with a Raptor, not only that, but you will also get spoilers from the story.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> You have to be level 80 to do the story step yourself. You cannot even start it below level 80, it's locked in your story journal.

>

> **You do not need to use the boost** however - you can get to level 80 just by playing the game and then do it. The boost is only needed if you want to unlock the raptor right away.

>

> I'm not sure about getting a level 80 character to take you through the story, I'd never heard of that idea before. It might work (and it would be helpful if someone could try it and report back). If you're very low level you'll need to stay away from the enemies as everything in there will kill you very quickly.

It works. I've gotten several low level characters their mounts. One guy was level 4. lol

> @"Felipe.1807" said:

> I honestly would advice against getting a mount as a new player...much of game experience is exploration, and mounts werent designed for core maps...you gonna miss a lot of stuff roaming around with a Raptor, not only that, but you will also get spoilers from the story.

I have the opposite opinion. Us gw2 old timers wish we had the raptor while we were leveling the first time. Do the path of fire 1st mission then go explore the amazing world of Tyria.

> @"Brother.1504" said:

> > @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > I honestly would advice against getting a mount as a new player...much of game experience is exploration, and mounts werent designed for core maps...you gonna miss a lot of stuff roaming around with a Raptor, not only that, but you will also get spoilers from the story.

>

> I have the opposite opinion. Us gw2 old timers wish we had the raptor while we were leveling the first time. Do the path of fire 1st mission then go explore the amazing world of Tyria.

Its okay, but just saying, if had a mount when I first started playing this game years ago I would end up missing so much stuff, events, jumping puzzles, cool NPCs dialogues, etc and these small things that enhance the gaming experience and makes GW2 being this good...theres a reason why a big part of community was against mounts, there was no need for them with the Waypoint system...for Desert makes sense, cause the map is way bigger and waypoints are very few, but on core maps...but thats my opinion, just saying to old vet players dont spoil the whole game experience for new players.

Please don't use the booster on your first character. I've run into so many frustrated new players in HoT and PoF maps that immediately used it and are now wondering why they have trouble fighting these difficult mobs without help.

It's much easier to get the hang of things at lower levels; the level 80 boost really just ends up being a disservice and should not have been implemented the way it was.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > You have to be level 80 to do the story step yourself. You cannot even start it below level 80, it's locked in your story journal.

> >

> > **You do not need to use the boost** however - you can get to level 80 just by playing the game and then do it. The boost is only needed if you want to unlock the raptor right away.

> >

> > I'm not sure about getting a level 80 character to take you through the story, I'd never heard of that idea before. It might work (and it would be helpful if someone could try it and report back). If you're very low level you'll need to stay away from the enemies as everything in there will kill you very quickly.

>

> It works. I've gotten several low level characters their mounts. One guy was level 4. lol

How does it work? I assume he doesn’t need to access his story since your using yours but how does he get to the map?

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> It works. I've gotten several low level characters their mounts. One guy was level 4. lol

That's really strange, considering the Mastery tab won't even unlock in the Hero Panel until a character reaches level 80. You'd think you wouldn't be able to get the PoF story and Mastery rewards if you weren't level 80.

> @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > @"Brother.1504" said:

> > > @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > > I honestly would advice against getting a mount as a new player...much of game experience is exploration, and mounts werent designed for core maps...you gonna miss a lot of stuff roaming around with a Raptor, not only that, but you will also get spoilers from the story.

> >

> > I have the opposite opinion. Us gw2 old timers wish we had the raptor while we were leveling the first time. Do the path of fire 1st mission then go explore the amazing world of Tyria.

>

> Its okay, but just saying, if had a mount when I first started playing this game years ago I would end up missing so much stuff, events, jumping puzzles, cool NPCs dialogues, etc and these small things that enhance the gaming experience and makes GW2 being this good...theres a reason why a big part of community was against mounts, there was no need for them with the Waypoint system...for Desert makes sense, cause the map is way bigger and waypoints are very few, but on core maps...but thats my opinion, just saying to old vet players dont spoil the whole game experience for new players.

I get the nostalgia. With the current 2018 game other then the start zones most people are zipping around on mounts. We didn’t have them so we had to move from events on foot. Raptor just speeds that up some. No worries the Raptor won’t spoil the game for new comers to Tyria.

If you do this, have someone carry you through it. Stay away from combat and don't read or listen to dialog so you don't spoil the story for yourself.

And please take the time to play and learn your class in the "core" areas, not the expansions. If you learn how to play the game, and your class before you go to Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire you will enjoy the game more and be a better player.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > It works. I've gotten several low level characters their mounts. One guy was level 4. lol

>

> That's really strange, considering the Mastery tab won't even unlock in the Hero Panel until a character reaches level 80. You'd think you wouldn't be able to get the PoF story and Mastery rewards if you weren't level 80.

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > It works. I've gotten several low level characters their mounts. One guy was level 4. lol

>

> That's really strange, considering the Mastery tab won't even unlock in the Hero Panel until a character reaches level 80. You'd think you wouldn't be able to get the PoF story and Mastery rewards if you weren't level 80.

I looked at the wiki and the first Mastery point isnt to get the raptor but to unlock Ravenous Strike.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ravenous_Strike

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Path_of_Fire_mastery_tracks#Raptor_Mount

> @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > @"Brother.1504" said:

> > > @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > > I honestly would advice against getting a mount as a new player...much of game experience is exploration, and mounts werent designed for core maps...you gonna miss a lot of stuff roaming around with a Raptor, not only that, but you will also get spoilers from the story.

> >

> > I have the opposite opinion. Us gw2 old timers wish we had the raptor while we were leveling the first time. Do the path of fire 1st mission then go explore the amazing world of Tyria.

>

> Its okay, but just saying, if had a mount when I first started playing this game years ago I would end up missing so much stuff, events, jumping puzzles, cool NPCs dialogues, etc and these small things that enhance the gaming experience and makes GW2 being this good...theres a reason why a big part of community was against mounts, there was no need for them with the Waypoint system...for Desert makes sense, cause the map is way bigger and waypoints are very few, but on core maps...but thats my opinion, just saying to old vet players dont spoil the whole game experience for new players.

I think it's mainly a matter of being aware of that. It's the same in a lot of games which let you get a mount at low levels or offer other forms of fast travel. For example I had a horse in Elder Scrolls Online right from the start because I got the special edition which included it. But if I was going through an area for the first time I'd do it on foot so I could go slower and spot things that might be worth investigating more closely (like caves and corners which might be hiding treasure chests), I'd only use the horse if I was going back over an area I'd just been through and I was confident I didn't need to explore that carefully.

It's the same in GW2 with the mounts. I've been doing a lot of map completion on level 80's in low level maps recently and I try to use mounts sparingly, especially as shortcuts (like using the Springer to get to a vista instead of finding the path). I like knowing I have the option if I need to or want to use it (like when I was really tired and realised the last thing I needed was that vista I can never remember how to reach) but I also know that in general I have more fun doing it the slow way, so I don't use it all the time.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > It works. I've gotten several low level characters their mounts. One guy was level 4. lol

> >

> > That's really strange, considering the Mastery tab won't even unlock in the Hero Panel until a character reaches level 80. You'd think you wouldn't be able to get the PoF story and Mastery rewards if you weren't level 80.

>

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > It works. I've gotten several low level characters their mounts. One guy was level 4. lol

> >

> > That's really strange, considering the Mastery tab won't even unlock in the Hero Panel until a character reaches level 80. You'd think you wouldn't be able to get the PoF story and Mastery rewards if you weren't level 80.

>

> I looked at the wiki and the first Mastery point isnt to get the raptor but to unlock Ravenous Strike.

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ravenous_Strike

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Path_of_Fire_mastery_tracks#Raptor_Mount

Oh I was aware of that. I just still think it's really weird that you can get something tied to Masteries when you aren't level 80/don't have a level 80 on the account.

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > It works. I've gotten several low level characters their mounts. One guy was level 4. lol

> > >

> > > That's really strange, considering the Mastery tab won't even unlock in the Hero Panel until a character reaches level 80. You'd think you wouldn't be able to get the PoF story and Mastery rewards if you weren't level 80.

> >

> > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > It works. I've gotten several low level characters their mounts. One guy was level 4. lol

> > >

> > > That's really strange, considering the Mastery tab won't even unlock in the Hero Panel until a character reaches level 80. You'd think you wouldn't be able to get the PoF story and Mastery rewards if you weren't level 80.

> >

> > I looked at the wiki and the first Mastery point isnt to get the raptor but to unlock Ravenous Strike.

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ravenous_Strike

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Path_of_Fire_mastery_tracks#Raptor_Mount

>

> Oh I was aware of that. I just still think it's really weird that you can get something tied to Masteries when you aren't level 80/don't have a level 80 on the account.

I guess it’s the other mounts that are tied to masteries, not the raptor. That seems to be tied to finishing the first story arc even if it’s by “helping” someone else do it as a low level.

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > You have to be level 80 to do the story step yourself. You cannot even start it below level 80, it's locked in your story journal.

> > >

> > > **You do not need to use the boost** however - you can get to level 80 just by playing the game and then do it. The boost is only needed if you want to unlock the raptor right away.

> > >

> > > I'm not sure about getting a level 80 character to take you through the story, I'd never heard of that idea before. It might work (and it would be helpful if someone could try it and report back). If you're very low level you'll need to stay away from the enemies as everything in there will kill you very quickly.

> >

>

> How does it work? I assume he doesn’t need to access his story since your using yours but how does he get to the map?

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > You have to be level 80 to do the story step yourself. You cannot even start it below level 80, it's locked in your story journal.

> > >

> > > **You do not need to use the boost** however - you can get to level 80 just by playing the game and then do it. The boost is only needed if you want to unlock the raptor right away.

> > >

> > > I'm not sure about getting a level 80 character to take you through the story, I'd never heard of that idea before. It might work (and it would be helpful if someone could try it and report back). If you're very low level you'll need to stay away from the enemies as everything in there will kill you very quickly.

> >

>

> How does it work? I assume he doesn’t need to access his story since your using yours but how does he get to the map?

You start the mission and get to Ammoon from Lion Arch. just need to be in LA

> @"alcopaul.2156" said:

> boost level 80 to get the mount and create another low level character if you want to progress incrementally. you can easily swap to your 80 if you want some hot action in wvw.

Very good approach. Once you get the mount, you can put that level 80 to bed for a while and level a character from the ground up. Pull out the level 80 later when you want to.