No more elite specs

But then they'd be even wider gaps between overpowered and useless, given the stacking potential of various classes. The limitaion of especs makes it a lot more apparent when synergy is either working or broken..... unfortunately anet has always been slow to respond.

I'd rather they do a good job on that, then increasing the surface area for sloppy balance practices.

> @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> I would love if instead of getting new elite specs, for future expansions, we would instead get just a new set of utilities and a weapon usable on all specs.

Each specialization gives weapon traits and utility skills. With every elite specialization, you get a new weapon and a new set of utility skills.

> @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> I would love if instead of getting new elite specs, for future expansions, we would instead get just a new set of utilities and a weapon usable on all specs.

This would be nice for build crafting, but I don't see Arenanet doing away with elite specs for a long time, they need them to sell xpacs.

Specs will continue to be a thing that gets added because they allow them to essentially change up how an entire class works without introducing a new class and all the work that comes with it.

It's not a perfect system, but it's a damn clever one.

> @"Goettel.4389" said:

> More elites are fine, but I'd rather have more core specializations to allow for more diverse builds.

Oh ya I meant to put that in. Weapon, utilities and the traitline to go with it (but available to core), with no new op mechanic that basically nullifies the elite specs that came before.

Interesting that many are behind the idea of more elite specializations just for the selling point of an expansion, I for one agree with the OP because even new specializations have render old core classes useless or mediocre. Specializations dont help with balance either as you see whats happened with scourge and mesmer/mirage, and the dead eye remake. I for one dont like selecting a class for its core role only to find out next expansion im a melee spec.. thats lame and its seems as if anet forces gameplay styles on other players that I am not interested in. And before someone says that I could remake to something else, then no, thats not a valid answer. if I choose to main and like the elemental class for its range and sheer power why force me to play as something else and not even give me the proper tools like other classes?

> @"Uriel.6310" said:

> Interesting that many are behind the idea of more elite specializations just for the selling point of an expansion, I for one agree with the OP because even new specializations have render old core classes useless or mediocre. Specializations dont help with balance either as you see whats happened with scourge and mesmer/mirage, and the dead eye remake. I for one dont like selecting a class for its core role only to find out next expansion im a melee spec.. thats lame and its seems as if anet forces gameplay styles on other players that I am not interested in. And before someone says that I could remake to something else, then no, thats not a valid answer. if I choose to main and like the elemental class for its range and sheer power why force me to play as something else and not even give me the proper tools like other classes?

But "balance problems" are not exclusive to Especs. At worst, they just make it more visible due to how drastic they are in design basics. But if you look at the history of the classes, back during the original trait system, there were numerous balance breaking combos in half the classes, while the other half struggled to fill out their needs. Some where trash in PvE, but excelled in PvP. A few dominated all 3 modes by way of how flexible you could build them.

Just because you're ignoring the obvious doesn't make them false.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"Uriel.6310" said:

> > Interesting that many are behind the idea of more elite specializations just for the selling point of an expansion, I for one agree with the OP because even new specializations have render old core classes useless or mediocre. Specializations dont help with balance either as you see whats happened with scourge and mesmer/mirage, and the dead eye remake. I for one dont like selecting a class for its core role only to find out next expansion im a melee spec.. thats lame and its seems as if anet forces gameplay styles on other players that I am not interested in. And before someone says that I could remake to something else, then no, thats not a valid answer. if I choose to main and like the elemental class for its range and sheer power why force me to play as something else and not even give me the proper tools like other classes?

>

> But "balance problems" are not exclusive to Especs. At worst, they just make it more visible due to how drastic they are in design basics. But if you look at the history of the classes, back during the original trait system, there were numerous balance breaking combos in half the classes, while the other half struggled to fill out their needs. Some where trash in PvE, but excelled in PvP. A few dominated all 3 modes by way of how flexible you could build them.

>

> Just because you're ignoring the obvious doesn't make them false.

And I agree with you, balance was an issue with some of the classes before specializations were put in, and to which youve said, it only causes us to see how far the gap really is with new specializations making certain tactics too strong. So, my point stands that making new elite specializations to bandaid the issues that older professions have does not solve imbalance issues. In pve sure, things might work, but the pvp is completely unbalanced and they let it go on for too long. Changes are minimal and build diversity is few. I understand that not all MMO's have a balanced pvp, but gw2 is way too one sided and its encouraged to play meta classes if you want to be good or enjoy the game.

> @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> I would love if instead of getting new elite specs, for future expansions, we would instead get just a new set of utilities, a trait bar, and a weapon usable on all specs.

I can't imagine the balancing nightmare a new weapon would introduce, but I wouldn't mind an additional spec column...General Grandmaster trait? Problem is, how do you control power creep, since whatever is in the General Grandmaster column has to be more awesome than what is in the Major Grandmaster column...

I think that this is a possibility. The question though, how difficult is it to balance new weapons and utilities available to core and two elite lines. It probably is easier for the devs to just create a new elite and lock the new weapons and utilities behind it.

I would like more freedom of choice in playing elite specs. As it is now, there is not one spec set I like. It's all about support, where I like to play (solo) pve, do a lot of damage and have decent skills to heal myself. So yes, give us a way to combine traits, at least in pve where balance is less an issue than in PvP or WvW.

> @"Lahmia.2193" said:

> I would love if instead of getting new elite specs, for future expansions, we would instead get just a new set of utilities, a trait bar, and a weapon usable on all specs.

So you don't want an elite spec but you also want an elite spec?

Elite specs are the new professions. In GW1 with the expansions we got a couple cool professions added to the game each time. Now with each expansion we get nine "new" professions.

I agree that I would like to see weapons learned by one specialization interchangeable to others in the class, even without the inherent bonuses. I learn how to use a new weapon (say a dagger), but forget how to wield it if not acting in a certain way? I think once a character has mastered the specialization it, a bonus should be to allow the weapon across the profession builds.

You kinda say you want both things.

I do understand what you're trying to say, I think… you would rather want a new weapon mechanism to the most of the professions rather than an elite spec which will only give you an old vanilla wep but will able to equip it on your profession.

I agree, for new weapon mechanism but at the same time it will give us a new Elite Spec aswell.

Example: **Guardian**: 3rd Expansion's elite spec; **Paragon**. Grant you to equip spear (_on land_)

I do hope they will give us a new weapon next expansion, perhaps the Polearm that was originally intended to be at the start of the game?