Why not housing?

> @"CJH.2879" said:

> I'm not entirely sure why some players are saying go to other MMO's if you want player housing....

From my experience its people who are afraid of change and want to be a part of the conversation in a bigger way than "I don't like it" so they either demand you go away or stop talking about the subject or come off with knee jerk arguments that don't really make scene. Their arguments remind me of a small children trying to come up with excuses for not wanting to go to school, "I can't go because we're not supposed to, I'm supposed to stay home at my age. didn't you know that!". The honest answers that they should be using are like the people saying that it just doesn't feel right to them to have housing or they want development focused elsewhere. They can't seem to see that trying to appear smarter than they are always ends with the opposite effect.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > I'm expecting player housing in the next expac, it's the next logical step, they need to drop something big on us like they did with mounts, player housing fits that situation.

>

> But player housing doesn't help me get around a map faster.... and it feels kind of stupid having level mastery points on Furniture options

Yes, the mastery system seems ideal until you get into the weeds of how to implement it.

Is the new set of skills building a house? That is usually a one-time thing (not counting repairs) not something you do almost constantly.

Is the new set of skills using a house? Not much of a help when I am elsewhere and hopefully we have seen the last of map-locked masteries (I will allow multi-map-locked, like magic gathering).

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

>

> What I'm talking about is activities that are fundamentally based on single player play that are introduced into an MMO part way through it's life .. .like "Oh, I killed a boss mob and it dropped furniture for my single player home" (which is pretty nonsensical if you think about it). The traditional MMO approach to housing is very single player oriented, and it's a big fail; it screams they took the easy way out for MMO content. Promoting single player play in these traditional home instance implementations isn't not how community and larger scale player interactions are promoted in an MMO.

If player housing was introduced into GW2 I honestly do not believe it would be done with the exact same setup as every other MMO with only single player focus on it. As I've said in previous posts, I truly feel that ANET has an opportunity to make its "own unique housing experience" that encourages other players to visit, view & interact with certain features of the house itself & the player that created it.

Why would you copy what has already been done if the setup for it didn't work for another MMO environment... My suggestion is to take a different approach, allow for the customized house while keeping the community involved along the way.

Make the players customized house accessible to the public players (or at least the option to do so)...... another suggestion, ANET could think radically about the player housing & even add in the option to create your own mini jump puzzle (fully customized), this would most certainly draw in alot of players to there home. Other ideas for the home, create the option for a statue of the player, there main hero could be on display in there house wearing there most legendary gear in there favorite pose. These are just a couple of suggestions, the possibilities are endless!

As someone who has done RPing I am a bit lost on the request. Can someone expand a bit on why it is needed that is not already done better elsewhere like guild halls or the existing home areas (either instanced or not)?

Development of anything has limited resources. If your goal is it is needed for RPing why not get behind something like character profiles? They would have MUCH more results and the positives go beyond RP.

Or is this just a way of people saying they want a private space with a bed? :)

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> As someone who has done RPing I am a bit lost on the request. Can someone expand a bit on why it is needed that is not already done better elsewhere like guild halls or the existing home areas (either instanced or not)?

Because not everyone is in a guild.

Because housing is personal, as opposed to a guild hall which belongs to the group or (more accurately) the guild leader.

Because it gives every player, solo and group players, something else to do.

Because it is something else to be worked toward. It is a gold sink, a time sink, and a potential cash shop sink. For a game that lives and dies on its cash shop, that in itself should be enough of an argument for housing.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> As someone who has done RPing I am a bit lost on the request. Can someone expand a bit on why it is needed that is not already done better elsewhere like guild halls or the existing home areas (either instanced or not)?

For some people, decorating a place they own in a specific style is a significant advantage in their RP. You, and I, may not see the value, but: it makes everything a bit more compact to be able to customize both character *and* environment in a way everyone can see, rather than just imagine. Otherwise, an MMO like this would have very little advantage over a forum using the same lore, right?

> Or is this just a way of people saying they want a private space with a bed? :)

Could also be. Which, honestly, I'm personally happy to see supported. I have no problem doing whatever, and I hope they enjoy, but non-private locations are a bad choice because it can non-consensually involve others in the, uh, action, as it were. Especially with the huge range of emotes. I don't think either side of that accidental leakage really wants that.

Figured I'd post a video of Aion's Player Housing, which I mentioned before always liked despite how prohibited it felt because of limited real estate and high expense.

Finding a way to recreate the feeling of a huge beautiful residential district for players, where everyone can show off their houses to everyone else living in the zone despite the mega servers and land limitations could be extremely fun in GW2.

The game needs more proper content to get people out in the world, not sitting in their own little sim guild wars instances. The game would die far faster. Anet is already slow enough for more content. Just look at the lenghty delay for ls4.3

Any resources spent on housing its an absolute no no, as it will take away from real game content.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

>

> Development of anything has limited resources. If your goal is it is needed for RPing why not get behind something like character profiles? They would have MUCH more results and the positives go beyond RP.

>

> Or is this just a way of people saying they want a private space with a bed? :)

Guild Halls are an entirely different thing & in my opinion don't qualify is a player housing. (Player housing can both be accessed & fully customized by any individual player, where as a guild hall cannot be).

A home instance I believe goes in the right direction..... however.... it does not have a fully customizable house contained within it. I myself wouldn't be opposed to ANET adding in a customizable house to the home instance area... I think this would be a BIG plus & not a negative at all, but as I've said before its entirely up to the developers if/when they decide to implement player housing & what they allow the player to do with it.

As to your question of why its even needed in the first place... well I can't speak for every other player out there, but for myself.... I'd love a place I could come home to & be proud of that I customized/created & enjoy it with my friends/guildies in the game. And of course I'd love to visit theres too and see what they created! A place to chat, play mini games, do activities & hang out with people.... to me it sounds fun!

I know people say that the resources could be better spent elsewhere in the game for more content/storylines ect, however GW2 does rely on players buying expansions in order to generate $$ & in my mind adding a feature such as player housing could potentially generate alot of sales. Its a gamble yes, but the rewards I truly believe are worth the risk & you never know.... players may actually like what the final results are & there could be a potential gold mine lying in wait for the developers (if done correctly by ANET).

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> The game needs more proper content to get people out in the world, not sitting in their own little sim guild wars instances. The game would die far faster. Anet is already slow enough for more content. Just look at the lenghty delay for ls4.3

>

> Any resources spent on housing its an absolute no no, as it will take away from real game content.

In another thread I was reading older players were saying the game is holding about the same population as it always has so I don't know about weather or not its dying, I did look up a few things on its population and its always been a medium population game although if someone came from a more populated game this game seems unpopulated in places. Houses don't really have a noticeable effect on the population because people don't spend all day everyday working on their houses in mass, they make it look cool then spend 10 minutes adjusting when they get something cool. And a lot of people love it, I have had friends that have made me join games just so they could show me their houses.

I can understand about the concern with resources but I don't see that this would be a very sizable project. If you think about it compared to a single new area there would no story that needs to be tied into the region, no new creatures models to work out etc. only the most basic of buildings to start with because the player base would be doing all the building. Toss in some achievements that give you some cool things, make a throne out of skulls and broken weapons from bosses that slowly completes as you get the drops. Let your pets run around the yard. They could use skins, walls and furniture that already exists to make up the bulk of the work that needs to be done. I think It would work just fine for everyone, lots more stuff for us to do at a low resources and time cost.

And noone would be happy at a minimal effort from the devs. assets would have to be coded and redrawn so they could be placed around if they only had one side for example. And youd need new menus and more. It would quickly run up, especially once you consider bugfixing and QA.

You do realize they cut down on making armor sets, because it took too much time and it was far easier to make outfits?

So no, this would be a horrible waste of dev resources for something done far better in other games.

> @"Zhaneel.9208" said:

> Housing would be an amazing addition. I'd love to have a Charr-based residence. : D

I could bet behind this.

A residence crafted from Charr....perhaps a large tent of Charr hide. Asuran skulls on the supporting poles for decoration would be a nice touch as well.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Zhaneel.9208" said:

> > Housing would be an amazing addition. I'd love to have a Charr-based residence. : D

>

> I could bet behind this.

>

> A residence crafted from Charr....perhaps a large tent of Charr hide. Asuran skulls on the supporting poles for decoration would be a nice touch as well.

Only if i can have a human skin tent too!

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Zhaneel.9208" said:

> > > Housing would be an amazing addition. I'd love to have a Charr-based residence. : D

> >

> > I could bet behind this.

> >

> > A residence crafted from Charr....perhaps a large tent of Charr hide. Asuran skulls on the supporting poles for decoration would be a nice touch as well.

>

> Only if i can have a human skin tent too!

Hey, I am an equal opportunity monster. Why not.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Zhaneel.9208" said:

> > > > Housing would be an amazing addition. I'd love to have a Charr-based residence. : D

> > >

> > > I could bet behind this.

> > >

> > > A residence crafted from Charr....perhaps a large tent of Charr hide. Asuran skulls on the supporting poles for decoration would be a nice touch as well.

> >

> > Only if i can have a human skin tent too!

>

> Hey, I am an equal opportunity monster. Why not.

Yay!

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> And noone would be happy at a minimal effort from the devs. assets would have to be coded and redrawn so they could be placed around if they only had one side for example. And youd need new menus and more. It would quickly run up, especially once you consider bugfixing and QA.

> You do realize they cut down on making armor sets, because it took too much time and it was far easier to make outfits?

> So no, this would be a horrible waste of dev resources for something done far better in other games.

Well given the fact that ANET always ensures that there best efforts are put forwards into any developments within GW2 itself I honestly wouldn't worry about any minimal efforts. I believe what Patchwreck.2357 was trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong here) is that in regards to any basic visual content most of the work for that part of it has already been done.... when you consider all the objects already in the game from home citys to dungeons to fractals ect ect, alot of the basic visual content should already be there & already facing in several different directions.

I've seen customized player housing in MMO's from 20 years ago so I don't feel that the resources to implement player housing in a game like GW2 with the sheer amount of developers at there call would be necessarily unrealistic. Surely creating a piece of static furniture would be easier to implement on a regular basis rather then a armor set or even outfit as there wouldn't be any visual clipping issues as the "stuff" in the house doesn't move around once placed. One thing I do find incredible is that alot of other older & even some of the newer MMO's did implement player housing and every player I came across absolutely loved it.... And GW2 doesn't have it because...???

Other developers didn't have even half the resources, yet they managed to do it regardless. I'm sorry but based on the sheer numbers of other MMO's that managed to implement player housing old & new titles alike (alot of them with less resources at there disposal) it just sounds to me like we're all hearing alot of excuses for something that could be done by ANET if they really wanted to (just as mounts were)<<.

> @"CJH.2879" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > And noone would be happy at a minimal effort from the devs. assets would have to be coded and redrawn so they could be placed around if they only had one side for example. And youd need new menus and more. It would quickly run up, especially once you consider bugfixing and QA.

> > You do realize they cut down on making armor sets, because it took too much time and it was far easier to make outfits?

> > So no, this would be a horrible waste of dev resources for something done far better in other games.

>

> Well given the fact that ANET always ensures that there best efforts are put forwards into any developments within GW2 itself I honestly wouldn't worry about any minimal efforts. I believe what Patchwreck.2357 was trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong here) is that in regards to any basic visual content most of the work for that part of it has already been done.... when you consider all the objects already in the game from home citys to dungeons to fractals ect ect, alot of the basic visual content should already be there & already facing in several different directions.

>

> I've seen customized player housing in MMO's from 20 years ago so I don't feel that the resources to implement player housing in a game like GW2 with the sheer amount of developers at there call would be necessarily unrealistic. Surely creating a piece of static furniture would be easier to implement on a regular basis rather then a armor set or even outfit as there wouldn't be any visual clipping issues as the "stuff" in the house doesn't move around once placed. One thing I do find incredible is that alot of other older & even some of the newer MMO's did implement player housing and every player I came across absolutely loved it.... And GW2 doesn't have it because...???

>

> Other developers didn't have even half the resources, yet they managed to do it regardless. I'm sorry but based on the sheer numbers of other MMO's that managed to implement player housing old & new titles alike (alot of them with less resources at there disposal) it just sounds to me like we're all hearing alot of excuses for something that could be done by ANET if they really wanted to (just as mounts were)<<.

"best efforts"...Okay then, we have different opinions on what best is i guess.

any content that creates more revenue than it costs is welcome, we already have craftable and placeable furniture in the guild hall and we can sit in chairs, so it doesn't seem like a stretch that housing may be added in the future...

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Zhaneel.9208" said:

> > > > Housing would be an amazing addition. I'd love to have a Charr-based residence. : D

> > >

> > > I could bet behind this.

> > >

> > > A residence crafted from Charr....perhaps a large tent of Charr hide. Asuran skulls on the supporting poles for decoration would be a nice touch as well.

> >

> > Only if i can have a human skin tent too!

>

> Hey, I am an equal opportunity monster. Why not.

then you would also agree on planting sylavari in gardens? :)

> @"TheWolf.1602" said:

> any content that creates more revenue than it costs is welcome, we already have craftable and placeable furniture in the guild hall and we can sit in chairs, so it doesn't seem like a stretch that housing may be added in the future...

>

> then you would also agree on planting sylavari in gardens? :)

Agreed!

The *planting sylvari in the gardens* made me smile :)

> @"CJH.2879" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> >

> > "best efforts"...Okay then, we have different opinions on what best is i guess.

>

> Oi stop *nitpicking* Dante.... LoL.... And blessings on you from the Pale Tree =D

Im not, unless you meant by your post?

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"CJH.2879" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > >

> > > "best efforts"...Okay then, we have different opinions on what best is i guess.

> >

> > Oi stop *nitpicking* Dante.... LoL.... And blessings on you from the Pale Tree =D

>

> Im not, unless you meant by your post?

*Sigh*, nevermind, anyways moving on.