ArenaNet, can I get banned for using this?

Anet is actually doing the right thing in not providing a definitive answer, because there is no benefit in doing so. Generally speaking, when its not an official program, they cannot give the impression that it is ok to use because it could put accounts and people's safety at risk. If they come out and say no, it will indicate to the programs' creators that there is something that violates the tos and/or something that anet monitors for when checking for banned 3rd party software. There is no reason they should give this information away.

Basically, just dont take the risks. You can live without this for now.

> @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > I can tell you this. ANet is not going to come on the forum and tell you that [some unnamed addon] by [some unknown person] from some Reddit post is ok to use. The creator needs to contact ANet and hash it out.

>

> Well apparently they have ignored him for about a month now. It's irritating I have to hurt my hands until they decide to give the go ahead for a feature that should rightly already be in the game. Manually clicking every sigil and rune is absolutely horrible.

Well, regardless of any of the above speculation, it seems that it's a obviously a win-win situation for you.

Use the program and not get banned - no more hurting of the hands.

Use the program and get banned - no more hurting of the hands.

Either way, no more hurt.

> @"X T D.6458" said:

> Anet is actually doing the right thing in not providing a definitive answer, because there is no benefit in doing so.

Anet did right thing in the past. However they allowed certain tools getting involved into direct cooperation with 3rd party dev which set a precedence. People are going to ask for more direct answers because if they did it for other tools why can't they do this for this one? Or one another? They should have never break the rule of not talking about 3rd parties, they did and now they should treat every question like this with same importance.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > Anet is actually doing the right thing in not providing a definitive answer, because there is no benefit in doing so.

>

> Anet did right thing in the past. However they allowed certain tools getting involved into direct cooperation with 3rd party dev which set a precedence.

It is worth noting that the developer of this addon -- which I would love to be able to use -- did contact Chris before starting implementation, and got a response. That response was "It's unlikely that this would be ToS compliant", which they chose to interpret as "sure, whatever, go ahead!", a reading that I find a little ... uh, well, shall we say that it isn't how I would read that response.

> People are going to ask for more direct answers because if they did it for other tools why can't they do this for this one? Or one another? They should have never break the rule of not talking about 3rd parties, they did and now they should treat every question like this with same importance.

They did. The author didn't like the response, so chose to read the very, very minor ambiguity -- which I'd suggest came from the fact this was "in principal, this thing I described" rather than "this concrete thing" -- but the fact is, they got a response, and we don't get to use it. (It is also worth noting that this is, roughly, the attitude that got the author of BGDM banned, and what DeltaConnected and ArcDPS have avoided.)

Again, I'd love this. The current sigil situation frustrates me, and I'd love to be able to mark a bunch of stuff as "just sell this junk", but ... ANet have responded.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> One action, one clic. Since runes and sigils require more than just 1 clic to sell, this app makes more than that, so IMO it is contrary to the basic policy.

^

I think this is the best explanation as to why using it will get you banned. You vendor runes/sigils as one click each. vendoring all at once is combining multiple clicks into one macro, which is against the rules.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > One action, one clic. Since runes and sigils require more than just 1 clic to sell, this app makes more than that, so IMO it is contrary to the basic policy.

>

> ^

>

> I think this is the best explanation as to why using it will get you banned. You vendor runes/sigils as one click each. vendoring all at once is combining multiple clicks into one macro, which is against the rules.

Even though Arc Build Templates does this too, and an exception was made. There's no reason they can't make an exception here, since the guy put in months of work to make it happen.

> @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > One action, one clic. Since runes and sigils require more than just 1 clic to sell, this app makes more than that, so IMO it is contrary to the basic policy.

> >

> > ^

> >

> > I think this is the best explanation as to why using it will get you banned. You vendor runes/sigils as one click each. vendoring all at once is combining multiple clicks into one macro, which is against the rules.

>

> Even though Arc Build Templates does this too, and an exception was made. There's no reason they can't make an exception here, since the guy put in months of work to make it happen.

Or does the Arc Build Template only save the build you make?

>Save saves a template for selected checkboxes. Overwrite overwrites selected in load. Load loads selected.

Saving work you’ve done isn’t the same as having multiple clicks under one click.

Even with an exception, it doesn't mean it's safe. They could ban for using ArcDPS whenever they wanted to, just as they can ban you for no reason whatsoever. Giving an exception only means that they'd likely announce a grace period before they banned for it. If they were actually banning for this, or memory reading in general, this topic would have been deleted.

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> Even with an exception, it doesn't mean it's safe. They could ban for using ArcDPS whenever they wanted to, just as they can ban you for no reason whatsoever.

This is absolutely correct. The reason that I personally feel safe with ArcDPS is that DeltaConnected has a long history of working with Chris, and sticking to the truce that allows him to develop these extensions while he respects ANet and their wishes, so I have confidence that (a) he won't randomly break the rules, and (b) if he does, I have a good story about why I shouldn't be banned forever over it.

This is just a truce, though. ANet accepted the reality that enough people want this, and agreed not to ban over this, because it was better to have some control over the tools than to have none, but for the tools to be out there and more significantly hurting game balance, etc, overall.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > > One action, one clic. Since runes and sigils require more than just 1 clic to sell, this app makes more than that, so IMO it is contrary to the basic policy.

> > >

> > > ^

> > >

> > > I think this is the best explanation as to why using it will get you banned. You vendor runes/sigils as one click each. vendoring all at once is combining multiple clicks into one macro, which is against the rules.

> >

> > Even though Arc Build Templates does this too, and an exception was made. There's no reason they can't make an exception here, since the guy put in months of work to make it happen.

>

> Or does the Arc Build Template only save the build you make?

>

> >Save saves a template for selected checkboxes. Overwrite overwrites selected in load. Load loads selected.

>

> Saving work you’ve done isn’t the same as having multiple clicks under one click.

When you update, it is the equivalent of multiple changes of items, and traits, and skills. This is absolutely "multiple clicks" as far as things go.

Again, the reason it is OK, but the plugin referenced in the first post isn't, has nothing to do with the specific technical details. It has to do with what ANet are comfortable permitting in the "grey area" where they can work with the authors to ensure that nothing that is a "must have" or otherwise overly automated makes its way into these extensions.

Without some... "partnership" as it were, Anet seldom ever gives any 3rd party approval.

But it doesn't sound as if it has any combat functionality at start... Heck, I'd probably use it, as in my opinion (which means exactly squat) this falls more in line with tools that allow automation of instrument playing.

> @"OneYenShort.3189" said:

> Without some... "partnership" as it were, Anet seldom ever gives any 3rd party approval.

>

> But it doesn't sound as if it has any combat functionality at start... Heck, I'd probably use it, as in my opinion (which means exactly squat) this falls more in line with tools that allow automation of instrument playing.

Since auto-clickers to open bags are considered tools that allow players to perform better or faster, I would not suggest that interpretation is safe: you seem to think only combat advantages are considered, but that is absolutely *not* how ANet look at this.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"OneYenShort.3189" said:

> > Without some... "partnership" as it were, Anet seldom ever gives any 3rd party approval.

> >

> > But it doesn't sound as if it has any combat functionality at start... Heck, I'd probably use it, as in my opinion (which means exactly squat) this falls more in line with tools that allow automation of instrument playing.

>

> Since auto-clickers to open bags are considered tools that allow players to perform better or faster, I would not suggest that interpretation is safe: you seem to think only combat advantages are considered, but that is absolutely *not* how ANet look at this.

And yet they have flatly stated in the case of instrument playing it is allowed. The main smell test normally is "combat advantage", be it active or passive.

The ONLY absolute is that ANET has fully authority to ban anyone for any reason, as well as they can be as contradictory as they want.

> @"OneYenShort.3189" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"OneYenShort.3189" said:

> > > Without some... "partnership" as it were, Anet seldom ever gives any 3rd party approval.

> > >

> > > But it doesn't sound as if it has any combat functionality at start... Heck, I'd probably use it, as in my opinion (which means exactly squat) this falls more in line with tools that allow automation of instrument playing.

> >

> > Since auto-clickers to open bags are considered tools that allow players to perform better or faster, I would not suggest that interpretation is safe: you seem to think only combat advantages are considered, but that is absolutely *not* how ANet look at this.

>

> And yet they have flatly stated in the case of instrument playing it is allowed. The main smell test normally is "combat advantage", be it active or passive.

> The ONLY absolute is that ANET has fully authority to ban anyone for any reason, as well as they can be as contradictory as they want.

Mmmm, I'd disagree: "gameplay advantage" is a better yardstick. Instrument playing brings no in-game benefit, unless you count tips for performing in public, I guess.

OTOH, the autoclicker option has no combat advantage, but it does have a gameplay advantage: less broken mouse buttons opening the bazillion bags you got, before "use all" was a thing.

Anyway, point being, combat advantage is definitely a big red flag, but any gameplay advantage is prohibited unless expressly permitted.

Looks like a good tool, nothing *gaining an advantage* about it.. havn't touched GW2 in weeks after 2 yrs of playing.. trash, trophy's, sigils and runes and all other junk should be disposable (selectable) in the game in in the first place.

There have been many posts about this, but they simply refuse to answer or change it.. whatever.

Will use this 100%.. if its ban-able, so be it.

Tbh I'm hoping for a NEVER pickup loot button, and I mean nothing at all including event chests, just want to play the game without sorting the inventory every 15 min.

Got 8 characters all 20 slot bags, so no.. inventory space isn't the problem .

> @"Smeerlap.2698" said:

> Looks like a good tool, nothing *gaining an advantage* about it.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> most likely will be ok, doesn't affect gameplay to give any sort of advantage from the youtube video

ANet have explicitly said that using an "autoclicker" to open items in your inventory gives a "gameplay advantage" in that it lets you deal with that all faster than another player, and so return to other activities faster.

We can disagree with them on the subject, but since they enforce the rules, I would strongly advise you follow the safe path, and assume that something which effectively (and intelligently) "autoclicks" on things while selling junk represents even more of the same sort of "gameplay advantage".

My advice is: I would expect ANet to ban for this, if detected, and given the nature of it, it is likely quite easily detected if they wish, simple from server-side observable behaviour. You are, of course, free to make your own mind up, and do as you wish with your own account.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"Smeerlap.2698" said:

> > Looks like a good tool, nothing *gaining an advantage* about it.

>

> > @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > most likely will be ok, doesn't affect gameplay to give any sort of advantage from the youtube video

>

> ANet have explicitly said that using an "autoclicker" to open items in your inventory gives a "gameplay advantage" in that it lets you deal with that all faster than another player, and so return to other activities faster.

pretty sure a lot of players have mapped a mouse button to 1 click open all with all the gaming accessory manufacturers having programmable macros as their selling point

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"Smeerlap.2698" said:

> > > Looks like a good tool, nothing *gaining an advantage* about it.

> >

> > > @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > > most likely will be ok, doesn't affect gameplay to give any sort of advantage from the youtube video

> >

> > ANet have explicitly said that using an "autoclicker" to open items in your inventory gives a "gameplay advantage" in that it lets you deal with that all faster than another player, and so return to other activities faster.

>

> pretty sure a lot of players have mapped a mouse button to 1 click open all with all the gaming accessory manufacturers having programmable macros as their selling point

I'm pretty sure they have to, and I'm equally certain that ANet *can* ban for doing that, because they have explicitly said so.

They may or may not choose to do that, but they can (a) detect it fairly easily, and (b) it is an explicitly bannable action.

Again, y'all welcome to do what you want with your account, but I wouldn't advise this strategy myself.