Mastery Points - ArenaNet Please Help Out this 55 Year Old Gamer with 19 Year of MMO Experience

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> Hmm, while being able to buy them does defeat the point, being able to easily see where to get mastery points in one overview within the achievement window would probably help.

>

> I know you can use the search function within the achievement window. Does anyone know if you can type something like "mastery point" to show all those achievements that give one?

>

>

If you set up an account with gw2efficiency.com you can go to Achievements and see both what you’ve done and not done and also filter it to show Mastery points for each section.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > Hmm, while being able to buy them does defeat the point, being able to easily see where to get mastery points in one overview within the achievement window would probably help.

> >

> > I know you can use the search function within the achievement window. Does anyone know if you can type something like "mastery point" to show all those achievements that give one?

> >

> >

>

> If you set up an account with gw2efficiency.com you can go to Achievements and see both what you’ve done and not done and also filter it to show Mastery points for each section.

While I don't share the sentiment with OP, I see no reason why proper presentation of basic progression should be directed to 3rd party.

Another thing that’s worth mentioning is the [Dulfy](http://dulfy.net) site. Once you’ve decided on a Mastery point you can check her site for information and tips on how to do it, including pictures and videos.

As an example of one, here’s the [Tequatl Achievement guide](http://dulfy.net/2013/09/18/gw2-tequatl-boss-achievements-guide/)

If all you're waiting to hear is ANet's response to your request in the affirmative, I wouldn't hold my breath. However, they have addressed this issue somewhat.

You mentioned the "karka" mastery point, which I assume refers to the point you get by exterminating hidden karka in Lion's Arch? I also found core mastery points a little obnoxious toward the end. But since that time they added a number of mastery insights to the core game. You should be familiar with these from the expansion maps. They are like Hero Point communes - you just walk up to them and interact and you gain a mastery point. You should be able to avoid the more obnoxious tasks since these points were added.

> I know you can use the search function within the achievement window. Does anyone know if you can type something like "mastery point" to show all those achievements that give one?

You can find which category of achievements provides mastery points by looking at the mastery icon next to it. If your Heart of Thorns category has mastery points available, you will see a green mastery icon. Then you can click on it to expand and see which sub-category offers the mastery points. For example, if Auric Basin has a green icon, it means an achievement in Auric Basin offers a mastery point. With a simple scroll you can see which achievement offers that mastery point as reward. Repeat for all other categories/subcategories that have the mastery icon. It's annoying that there is no filter, but finding which achievement has mastery points as a reward isn't so hard.

Truthfully the core Tyria Mastery lines aren’t that useful if you aren’t going to do Fractals or craft Legendaries. The only ones I’d go for is the ones that allow you to pick up loot automatically, the [Pact Commander Line](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Central_Tyria_mastery_tracks#Pact_Commander). That one is only 8 points and you can get it by doing the communes only.

Other than that unless you’re a completionists you can ignore the other Mastery lines and concentrate on the PoF Mount Masteries. The thing about wasting XP isn’t that big a deal. You get one Spirit Shard per level once you get all Mastery lines filled, but if you don’t use the Spirit Shards then not getting them isn’t much of a loss. So, my suggestion is get the core Masteries you’re going to actually use and ignore the rest and play on PoF maps instead.

> Hmm, while being able to buy them does defeat the point, being able to easily see where to get mastery points in one overview within the achievement window would probably help.

>

>

>

You can already do that. All mastery points that aren't earned are marked with the icons in the achievements list.

There are so many ways to gain Mastery Points, from simply climbing a mountain or solve a simple task in an event (example: the many Dragon's Stand mastery points) to those more ambitious ones the OP seems to be referring to. You don't need to do the latter to receive enough points to maximize your mastery tracks. I believe ANet, especially with the release of the Living World episodes, has provided us with enough means to gain them, and it is up to us to decide which way we want to go about it.

I may be wrong, but I believe the ops problem may be the same thing I have complained about in the past. Until you complete the core tyria masteries, you no longer earn any experience from doing anything in core tyria. Your bar fills up, but never resets. It can be very annoying playing every day, killing mobs, gathering etc and getting no experience for doing any of it.

> @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> I may be wrong, but I believe the ops problem may be the same thing I have complained about in the past. Until you complete the core tyria masteries, you no longer earn any experience from doing anything in core tyria. Your bar fills up, but never resets. It can be very annoying playing every day, killing mobs, gathering etc and getting no experience for doing any of it.

I have maxed the masteries and my bar fills up. Over and over. So now I have 9000 spirit shards. Hoorah for me! Are they any sort of incentive to play? Not even remotely :)

> @"costepj.5120" said:

> > @"ShiningSquirrel.3751" said:

> > I may be wrong, but I believe the ops problem may be the same thing I have complained about in the past. Until you complete the core tyria masteries, you no longer earn any experience from doing anything in core tyria. Your bar fills up, but never resets. It can be very annoying playing every day, killing mobs, gathering etc and getting no experience for doing any of it.

>

> I have maxed the masteries and my bar fills up. Over and over. So now I have 9000 spirit shards. Hoorah for me! Are they any sort of incentive to play? Not even remotely :)

Well good for you! I have filled mine up as well, but since we are talking about the ops issue what you or I have is rather irrelevant.

> @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > Hmm, while being able to buy them does defeat the point, being able to easily see where to get mastery points in one overview within the achievement window would probably help.

> >

> > I know you can use the search function within the achievement window. Does anyone know if you can type something like "mastery point" to show all those achievements that give one?

> >

> >

>

> You can already do that. All mastery points that aren't earned are marked with the icons in the achievements list.

Yeah I meant more as an overview of single achievements, not nested within categories. I can imagine that the breadcrumb icons don't make it clear enough what choices there are for some people. The question was more to find out if there already something that isnt well known, that could help OP and others. (or give devs ideas and/or inspiration for small improvements if they read it)

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> The HoT MPs are the hardest for me. I still need nine to max out. I've hit all the strongboxes and am missing only one MP in VB. Other points are from group events which fail or I don't get there in time.

Don't forget all the Season 3 mastery points count for HoT. Tons of Mastery Points there.

The only thing I've felt I HAD to get the mastery points for was my mounts. Getting those was doable. Anything I have yet to unlock due to lack of mastery points, I don't really care if I ever get. It might be nice, but there's nothing necessary to play and enjoy the game that's gated behind masteries except the mounts.

> > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > Hmm, while being able to buy them does defeat the point, being able to easily see where to get mastery points in one overview within the achievement window would probably help.

> > >

> > > I know you can use the search function within the achievement window. Does anyone know if you can type something like "mastery point" to show all those achievements that give one?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > You can already do that. All mastery points that aren't earned are marked with the icons in the achievements list.

>

> Yeah I meant more as an overview of single achievements, not nested within categories. I can imagine that the breadcrumb icons don't make it clear enough what choices there are for some people. The question was more to find out if there already something that isnt well known, that could help OP and others. (or give devs ideas and/or inspiration for small improvements if they read it)

On the main list the icon indicates that _something_ on that list has an unearned mastery point. :)

> @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > Hmm, while being able to buy them does defeat the point, being able to easily see where to get mastery points in one overview within the achievement window would probably help.

> > > >

> > > > I know you can use the search function within the achievement window. Does anyone know if you can type something like "mastery point" to show all those achievements that give one?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > You can already do that. All mastery points that aren't earned are marked with the icons in the achievements list.

> >

> > Yeah I meant more as an overview of single achievements, not nested within categories. I can imagine that the breadcrumb icons don't make it clear enough what choices there are for some people. The question was more to find out if there already something that isnt well known, that could help OP and others. (or give devs ideas and/or inspiration for small improvements if they read it)

>

> On the main list the icon indicates that _something_ on that list has an unearned mastery point. :)

I know. I maxed masteries out. ;)

For such an experienced player, that's an odd connundrum...

Maybe you're not looking at it correctly, you can pick and choose easily which stuff you do without having to do a lot of crazy collections or achievements.

For example Core Tyria Masteries only require 49 points out of 82 available.

Heart of Maguuma (HoT) needs 144 out of 198 (a bit more slim pickings there)

PoF requires 69 out of 95 available.

Here's a list of all unlocks, pick the easy ones for you:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

For Core Tyria i'd suggest starting with the "Hero" ones, which is mostly doing story beats, and a couple of other relatively simple things, do the Mastery Insights, and you'll have enough for the "Commander" Line which is the "main" core Tyria line you'll want, and one point left to spend.

Then depending on where your focus lies, go either for Fractals (which have enough unlocks from doing their achievements to unlock the whole fractal line, and still have 4-5 left over), if you prefer Legendary Weapons, then i mean, don't complain about collections... Since that's what you'll be doing with those masteries!

If you want to avoid fractals for now, then, i hope you have some (or all) of Living World Season 2 unlocked, because you'll need some points from that...

Do current Events (that's 3 points), Tequatl ones (2 more), Silverwastes (up to 7 points), Hidden Garden (for another point), Dive Master and Lion's Arch Exterminator (2 more points), Ruler of Shinies in DT (1 more point), Karka Queen (1 pt), Koutaphile (1 pt). That's 18/19 you need for full Legendary masteries. Now pick, either wait for community runs on Triple Trouble (several points there), do Fractal ones, unlock LWS2 episodes and do some from those. Choices are still aplenty!

> > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > Hmm, while being able to buy them does defeat the point, being able to easily see where to get mastery points in one overview within the achievement window would probably help.

> > >

> > > I know you can use the search function within the achievement window. Does anyone know if you can type something like "mastery point" to show all those achievements that give one?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > You can already do that. All mastery points that aren't earned are marked with the icons in the achievements list.

>

> Yeah I meant more as an overview of single achievements, not nested within categories. I can imagine that the breadcrumb icons don't make it clear enough what choices there are for some people. The question was more to find out if there already something that isnt well known, that could help OP and others. (or give devs ideas and/or inspiration for small improvements if they read it)

But you can't argue the resource isn't there, or isn't functional enough that you couldn't find it with a minuscule of effort. As for the OP, I'm having a difficult time getting onboard with him, because he shows a clear lack of desire for effort on so many fronts.... including the minimum effort to explain a position so it doesn't simply come off as an entitlement problem. and wowwhi.... he put in half the effort to "ask a question" about mastery points, instead spending all that time explaining how his this is a grave personal injustice, and thus should be accommodated. Cuz how dare anyone even suggest a player leave their comfort zone, or actually do things to complete a list that could be ignored, and has no game crippling consequences unless you are already a completionist. And then tries to justify that position through assertions about a system he has an ignorance of, claims a level of impossibility for reasons unstated, trivializes the consequences to only possibly representing a short term problem, and is only pitching for a single solution of circumvention without even showing the slightest bit of interest in finding the current path of least resistance.

But no... the entire system borked, is the devil, and thus paying for progression is a better alternative....... and thats just the post at face value. Its hard to have sympathy (which is what I think hes shooting for), when he paints a self portrait worthy of being a movie characture. Which if you think about premise of many of those movies, only adds additional layers of irony, life lessons, and human interaction.

As an MMO player of a similar age, I can sympathize and my initial reaction to mastery points was very negative. But I found the HoT and PoF ones pretty easy to get with the current living world stories. The Tyrian ones were, admittedly, much more trouble since I don't do fractals but it was only challenging (to me) to finish out the last mastery, and only because I was trying to find one dungeon story instance to finish the 8-story path MP and not willing to host it (if I really wanted it, I would have hosted it). Instead, I found out that the bandit side story MP was quite straight forward to get.

In the end, I liked that the masteries dragged me around the world and made me try different things. Net win for me.

PS finally did my Caladbogh side story, and it sent me to several out of the way places I never knew about, despite 5 years in game, some of which are quite beautiful.