What's your biggest "Remember when..." moment in GW2?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> I remember when I could play zerk dagger dagger thief in WvW and get away with it. R.I.P.

This is still totally possible as a solo roamer, and there are a LOAD of tricks that you're required to memorize to do it (weapon stow cancels, shadow-step combo enablers, etc.)... basically you have to better at thief than anyone else is at the class they are playing... there are a few roaming builds this still hard-counters, though, and when you run in to one of them it's very satisfying.

Remember when you learned weapon skills organically, by using the weapon?

Remember when Traits could actually change skills into different skills, and you could pick which traits you learned in what order... but from a _vendor_?

Remember when we could play the story at our own pace? and complete "Victory or Death" long before level 80?

Remember Colin Johanssen? and Martin Kerstein?

Remember when we said mounts would facilitate large, empty maps that require mounts to traverse them reasonably, and that they would invalidate large chunks of previous content?

Remember when ANet introduced mounts anyway, and _exactly that_ happened? but they're part of the game now, so there's no sense in crying over it?

Remember when flying was a big "no-no", because we wanted to maintain the sense of awe and scale of the world? and we didn't want trivialized, "fly-over" areas?

Remember when forums could have fun brainstorming and refining ideas, rather than whining about what features other games have?

Remember when Guild Wars had its own, unique identity? and was applauded for maintaining it, despite MMO "conventions" at the time?

Remember when you could still find secrets that Wiki didn't know about?

Remember when Guild Wars "wanted players to have lives [outside the game]"? and that was a _good_ thing?

Remember when tons of popular channels covered Guild Wars 2? and were promptly chased off by shrieking bookahs?

Remember when you could speed so many levels ahead in your personal story that you couldn't complete the quest?

Or that time when Mordremoth was this mystery hidden behind enemy skill names and out of place dev comments?

Or the day of the Feature pack when you'd go to the Heart of the Mists and watch your Wardrobe fill up?

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> I miss old Lion's arch so much.

> The new one looks nice, but it's verry "generic" whereas the old Lion's arch had its own theme, identity, one like I'd never seen before.

I totally agree. I was inactive at the time of Lion's Arch being destroyed. I logged in one day and saw the destruction and it totally made me cry. I miss the pirate ships and the flavour. I really feel like the current version is empty so I do most of my crafting in Divinity's Reach.

Remember when Lion's Arch was an actual city and not a museum, with a human girl and a charr girl playing together in secret and not understanding why their father's couldn't stand each other? A touching moment for us GW1 players now lost forever.

Remember when outfits were piece meal and you could mix and match? Though they did immediately came off in combat... I still don't get that decision or the decision to change to the current model? Like, why was it hard to keep the piece meal approach without the in-combat=remove bit?

Remember town clothes? I can't even figure out where to get more. I just know they exist, and for some reason on a 15 minute duration per use? Matter of fact... _WHY AREN'T THESE OUTFITS!?_ Far as I can tell an account doesn't even start with ONE standard "civilian" outfit.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> remember when we could play a new character and no weapon skill was locked out?

Was that ever a thing? I remember having to unlock each weapon skill by attacking a certain number of times with that weapon. And then having to wait until we could use offhands and then doing the same thing, I believe.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > remember when we could play a new character and no weapon skill was locked out?

>

> Was that ever a thing? I remember having to unlock each weapon skill by attacking a certain number of times with that weapon. And then having to wait until we could use offhands and then doing the same thing, I believe.

>

before the NPE you equip a weapon and all of them are unlocked, loved that.

> @"Timbersword.9014" said:

> Remember when Lion's Arch was an actual city and not a museum, with a human girl and a charr girl playing together in secret and not understanding why their father's couldn't stand each other? A touching moment for us GW1 players now lost forever.

>

> Remember when outfits were piece meal and you could mix and match? Though they did immediately came off in combat... I still don't get that decision or the decision to change to the current model? Like, why was it hard to keep the piece meal approach without the in-combat=remove bit?

>

> Remember town clothes? I can't even figure out where to get more. I just know they exist, and for some reason on a 15 minute duration per use? Matter of fact... _WHY AREN'T THESE OUTFITS!?_ Far as I can tell an account doesn't even start with ONE standard "civilian" outfit.

Just FYI, the 15 minute tonics can be converted into outfits in lion's arch. there's a vendor in the trading post hall or whatever it's called that takes tonics and gives back outfits.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > remember when we could play a new character and no weapon skill was locked out?

> >

> > Was that ever a thing? I remember having to unlock each weapon skill by attacking a certain number of times with that weapon. And then having to wait until we could use offhands and then doing the same thing, I believe.

> >

>

> before the NPE you equip a weapon and all of them are unlocked, loved that.

No, before the NPE you had to unlock them by attacking with the weapon a certain amount of times or something like that. I don't remember ever having all of the weapon skills automatically unlocked when you first equipped a weapon before the NPE. The NPE actually brought the change that let you automatically unlock a new weapon's skills on equip, as long as you'd already unlocked all the skills on another weapon.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > remember when we could play a new character and no weapon skill was locked out?

> > >

> > > Was that ever a thing? I remember having to unlock each weapon skill by attacking a certain number of times with that weapon. And then having to wait until we could use offhands and then doing the same thing, I believe.

> > >

> >

> > before the NPE you equip a weapon and all of them are unlocked, loved that.

>

> No, before the NPE you had to unlock them by attacking with the weapon a certain amount of times or something like that. I don't remember ever having all of the weapon skills automatically unlocked when you first equipped a weapon before the NPE. The NPE actually brought the change that let you automatically unlock a new weapon's skills on equip, as long as you'd already unlocked all the skills on another weapon.

i play the game since beta.......yes they did....

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > remember when we could play a new character and no weapon skill was locked out?

> > > >

> > > > Was that ever a thing? I remember having to unlock each weapon skill by attacking a certain number of times with that weapon. And then having to wait until we could use offhands and then doing the same thing, I believe.

> > > >

> > >

> > > before the NPE you equip a weapon and all of them are unlocked, loved that.

> >

> > No, before the NPE you had to unlock them by attacking with the weapon a certain amount of times or something like that. I don't remember ever having all of the weapon skills automatically unlocked when you first equipped a weapon before the NPE. The NPE actually brought the change that let you automatically unlock a new weapon's skills on equip, as long as you'd already unlocked all the skills on another weapon.

>

> i play the game since beta.......yes they did....

I also played the game since beta. Before the NPE, you unlocked the weapon skills by attacking, having to do the process with each weapon. After the NPE, you unlocked as you leveled.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > remember when we could play a new character and no weapon skill was locked out?

> > > >

> > > > Was that ever a thing? I remember having to unlock each weapon skill by attacking a certain number of times with that weapon. And then having to wait until we could use offhands and then doing the same thing, I believe.

> > > >

> > >

> > > before the NPE you equip a weapon and all of them are unlocked, loved that.

> >

> > No, before the NPE you had to unlock them by attacking with the weapon a certain amount of times or something like that. I don't remember ever having all of the weapon skills automatically unlocked when you first equipped a weapon before the NPE. The NPE actually brought the change that let you automatically unlock a new weapon's skills on equip, as long as you'd already unlocked all the skills on another weapon.

>

> i play the game since beta.......yes they did....

I played the game since beta weekend 3, and it's exactly as Rose of Gilead claims it was. You had to use your weapon a certain number of times to unlock the next skill. It was like that in the beta. I can also find video proof:

That's from the beta.

that's from launch.

You're factually wrong.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > remember when we could play a new character and no weapon skill was locked out?

> >

> > Was that ever a thing? I remember having to unlock each weapon skill by attacking a certain number of times with that weapon. And then having to wait until we could use offhands and then doing the same thing, I believe.

> >

>

> before the NPE you equip a weapon and all of them are unlocked, loved that.

I remember the same thing Rose did. You had to attack X amount of times to get the skills unlocked. But it was better than the system we have now, at least it felt natural.