Beetle Mount | Why does the Drift feature dismount you?

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > You would think the dirft skill would be on the actual skill bar... I had no idea this skill even existed till I read this thread. Really what are the devs even thinking, there is 4 empty skill slots and they cannot even use one for this? unbelievable.

>

> Every single mount has other skills that are not on the bar...this is nothing new...or are you going to tell us you didn't know that either?

Not every mount uses mount ability 2 though, only 2 mounts even use it, it's very easy to overlook this skill even existing, I had never used the mount ability 2 skill before because the only mount previously using it was the griffon, and to regain altitude I just pull backwards, which is not the mount ability 2 keybind…

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > > You would think the dirft skill would be on the actual skill bar... I had no idea this skill even existed till I read this thread. Really what are the devs even thinking, there is 4 empty skill slots and they cannot even use one for this? unbelievable.

> >

> > Every single mount has other skills that are not on the bar...this is nothing new...or are you going to tell us you didn't know that either?

>

> Not every mount uses mount ability 2 though, only 2 mounts even use it, it's very easy to overlook this skill even existing, I had never used the mount ability 2 skill before because the only mount previously using it was the griffon, and to regain altitude I just pull backwards, which is not the mount ability 2 keybind…

>

>

You can also use 'S' to initiate drifts (depending on your settings).

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > @"Kelly.7019" said:

> > It seems odd that the 1 skill or "Roll Out" aka DRIFT MODE dismounts you when you use it

> > This doesn't feel like drifting, it feels like and attack to engage which i think is the intention, to be like the other mounts.

> > As i understood from the trailer you could drift? but this isn't drifting its attacking. >:(

> > I still have to complete my masteries but I don't see anything close to drifitng here:

> >

> > **Masteries**

> > Wrecking ball: Rollout damages foes as you roll over them and launches them a short distance.

> > Barrier Smash: Smash your way into secret areas and destroy volatile crystals with yer roller beetle.

> > Big Air: Learn to perform stylish airborne tricks after boosting to regain endurance.

> >

> > If the engage button didn't dismount, it would be a lot more fun! Maybe i'm missisng something?

> >

> > P.S. why aren't the special abilities on the UI bar next to Rollout? Shouldn't they be 2 &3? Seems like this would be much easier when mounted.

>

> I said this same thing about Griffin. Don't know why they didn't put mount ability on the action bar. I don't want to hotkey the mount abilities to my numbers because it overwrite my combat action keybinds.

I can think of one huge reason...... They had planned to have more mount based abilities, which would have to go into those skill slots. As for the special abilities of the Mounts, I consider it a different type of UI shortfall. I'm also glad I'm not the only person who knows about this. By default, S will activate drift mode as long as you're moving over a certain speed. When below that speed threshold, it reverts back to basic movement. Most racing games will default to using Back movement as a Brake (to slow down), and automatically shift into reverse once stopped. That basic premise is what they're doing here with the Beetle controls.

But the reason this lands up breaking down into confusion, is that racing games use a different control scheme.... and I'm betting 5 shards thats what everyone was assuming when first got on the beetle. I know I did. Another common complaint is the binary traction state, making it difficult to control turn radius (which is another behavior used in a lot of racing games). So with the expectation mismatch, most people are struggling to handle on how its supposed to work.... but once you know the only 2 or 3 facts there is about the Beetle, controlling it becomes shockingly easy.

A lot of this could had been addressed in the Race Tutorial (the one that starts in the camp), but they would have to change a bunch of things about. The first, and single most critical problem in the current race, is making Drifting the first thing you have to do. In fact, getting gold on the Race demands you nail the drift in the opening turn, but you aren't told about drifting until further in the race. Leading into the second problem.... not teaching you about the endurance system, to get the speed you need, in order to use the Drifting ability. I get the feeling the Race started out as Tutorial, but was either unfinished, or based on a set of behaviors that got changed later on. I'm particularly eyeballing endurance starting at Zero, which is a big deal with how that ties into all of its advanced abilities. I understand why its like that, but I also get the feeling this wasn't a concern when they designed the map. A lot of things hint at last minute changes...... and if its not, then that makes things even more concerning.

> @"Kelly.7019" said:

> it's like you have no control over the beetle trying to turn when boosted, unlike raptor leap or jackal teleport you have total control. its dreadful.

It's skill 2 you are looking for, you need to use it in combination with the directional keys (A = left, D = right).

But I agree that the beetle could use some sort of brake function. Because, even when you use the attack skill (skill 1), you land half a mile away from your target.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > @"Kelly.7019" said:

> > > It seems odd that the 1 skill or "Roll Out" aka DRIFT MODE dismounts you when you use it

> > > This doesn't feel like drifting, it feels like and attack to engage which i think is the intention, to be like the other mounts.

> > > As i understood from the trailer you could drift? but this isn't drifting its attacking. >:(

> > > I still have to complete my masteries but I don't see anything close to drifitng here:

> > >

> > > **Masteries**

> > > Wrecking ball: Rollout damages foes as you roll over them and launches them a short distance.

> > > Barrier Smash: Smash your way into secret areas and destroy volatile crystals with yer roller beetle.

> > > Big Air: Learn to perform stylish airborne tricks after boosting to regain endurance.

> > >

> > > If the engage button didn't dismount, it would be a lot more fun! Maybe i'm missisng something?

> > >

> > > P.S. why aren't the special abilities on the UI bar next to Rollout? Shouldn't they be 2 &3? Seems like this would be much easier when mounted.

> >

> > I said this same thing about Griffin. Don't know why they didn't put mount ability on the action bar. I don't want to hotkey the mount abilities to my numbers because it overwrite my combat action keybinds.

>

> Have you even tried? I mean, I know it will either say it'll over write it or that another skill uses it, but looking in my own keybinds, I've got 'V' as Dodge *and* Mount Ability 1, and 'B' as WvW Panel *and* Mount Ability 2. When mounted, the mount skills you have bound will override the other binds, but since you can't use your weapon skills while mounted, it wont matter. Do you get what I'm saying?

>

> There's a BIG difference, if the command you're trying to bind shows as RED ("You will overwrite"), it will remove the bind it warns you about to reassign it, if it shows as YELLOW ("Used by *insert other bound skill*"), it'll be a situational bind, such as, while mounted.

>

Thank you for that information. I have my mount selection keys on the right hand corner of my keyboard. I’ll look into making them number keys instead as that would be much more convenient.

Edit: and drift also

• 3 months later...

Please fix the second ability to work 100% of the time instead of 3 time out of 5 it's basically a complete nightmare to do a race with this beetle. The so called "drifting" with ability 2 is just not registering most of the time and becomes frustrating VERY fast. (yes I know you have use ability one first to make use of ability 2)

This is the only mount that is giving me problems so far.