Pretty Please Arena Net, add mount abilities to the Action Bar by default

If the command you're trying to bind shows as RED ("You will overwrite"), it will remove the bind it warns you about to reassign it, if it shows as YELLOW ("Used by *insert other bound skill*"), it'll be a situational bind, such as, while mounted.

All you’re asking by saying put mount abilities on the action bar is to make them visible. You can still bind Mount Ability 1 and 2 to number keys if you choose to.

My point was they CAN'T put them on the bar. Due to legacy code, if they are put on the bar they MUST have the binding for that spot on the bar. They lose the ability to be bound separately. For example if they put the current spacebar skills of all the mounts in position 2, then those skills will become locked to whatever you bound position 2 to, and can no longer be bound separately or conditionally.

> @"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:

> My point was they CAN'T put them on the bar. Due to legacy code, if they are put on the bar they MUST have the binding for that spot on the bar. They lose the ability to be bound separately. For example if they put the current spacebar skills of all the mounts in position 2, then those skills will become locked to whatever you bound position 2 to, and can no longer be bound separately or conditionally.

Absolutely, it wouldn't work because then you'd have to use the same keys as your weapon skills regardless of if you wanted to or not.

You can easily test this buy rebinding your weapon skill 1, then mount and you'll see your mount engage ability is that same keybind.

The OPs change would not be beneficial to the majority of players. So he is better just rebinding his mount abilities 1 and 2 to his number keys.

> @"Leablo.2651" said:

> Isn't that what he's asking for?

IDK, but it is absolutely what I'd ask for: please, please, put all the mount actions in the skill bar, and let me trigger them with the same buttons I use for my normal skills!

Since I can only be one of mounted, or using my weapon, there is no inherent conflict, in the same way that any kit replaces my weapon skills.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"Leablo.2651" said:

> > Isn't that what he's asking for?

>

> IDK, but it is absolutely what I'd ask for: please, please, put all the mount actions in the skill bar, and let me trigger them with the same buttons I use for my normal skills!

>

> Since I can only be one of mounted, or using my weapon, there is no inherent conflict, in the same way that any kit replaces my weapon skills.

You can already bind Mount Ability 1 and 2 to your actionbar, and use the same keys as you would your weaponskills now. Some of us like the option to **not** have the same key we use as our weaponskills, putting mount abilities on the actionbar would remove this option in its entirety.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:

> > My point was they CAN'T put them on the bar. Due to legacy code, if they are put on the bar they MUST have the binding for that spot on the bar. They lose the ability to be bound separately. For example if they put the current spacebar skills of all the mounts in position 2, then those skills will become locked to whatever you bound position 2 to, and can no longer be bound separately or conditionally.

>

> Absolutely, it wouldn't work because then you'd have to use the same keys as your weapon skills regardless of if you wanted to or not.

> You can easily test this buy rebinding your weapon skill 1, then mount and you'll see your mount engage ability is that same keybind.

> The OPs change would not be beneficial to the majority of players. So he is better just rebinding his mount abilities 1 and 2 to his number keys.

And is that a problem?

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > @"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:

> > > My point was they CAN'T put them on the bar. Due to legacy code, if they are put on the bar they MUST have the binding for that spot on the bar. They lose the ability to be bound separately. For example if they put the current spacebar skills of all the mounts in position 2, then those skills will become locked to whatever you bound position 2 to, and can no longer be bound separately or conditionally.

> >

> > Absolutely, it wouldn't work because then you'd have to use the same keys as your weapon skills regardless of if you wanted to or not.

> > You can easily test this buy rebinding your weapon skill 1, then mount and you'll see your mount engage ability is that same keybind.

> > The OPs change would not be beneficial to the majority of players. So he is better just rebinding his mount abilities 1 and 2 to his number keys.

>

> And is that a problem?

Many players do not want to use the same keys they do their weapon skills. Regardless of it it can conflict or not, I prefer to have my mount abilities near my left thumb, not my right thumb nor middle finger.

Putting mount abilities on the actionbar would remove the option of separate binding in its entirety. If you want to use the same keys as your weapon skills, you can already. Asking for the mount abilities to go on the skill bar will lock their keybindings to Weapon skill keybindings.

> Asking for the mount abilities to go on the skill bar will lock their keybindings to Weapon skill keybindings.

I think the problem here is how the keybinds are done, they should be reworked to allow the possiblility of 5 skills on the mount hotbar all with customizable keybinds (separate from weapon skill keybinds)

The mount skill bar should be classed as a separate bar and not be locked to the bindings of the weapon skill bar (they should just start off the same as default)

Example of default bindings :

Weapon skill slot 1 = bound to 1

Mount skill slot 1 = bound to 1

Example of customized mount bindings :

Weapon skill slot 1 = bound to 1

Mount skill slot 1 = bound to Q

We should be able to select either method, it's 2018.

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > Asking for the mount abilities to go on the skill bar will lock their keybindings to Weapon skill keybindings.

>

> I think the problem here is how the keybinds are done, they should be reworked to allow the possiblility of 5 skills on the mount hotbar all with customizable keybinds (separate from weapon skill keybinds)

> The mount skill bar should be classed as a separate bar and not be locked to the bindings of the weapon skill bar (they just start off the same as default)

>

> Example of default bindings :

> Weapon skill slot 1 = bound to 1

> Mount skill slot 1 = bound to 1

>

> Example of customized mount bindings :

> Weapon skill slot 1 = bound to 1

> Mount skill slot 1 = bound to Q

>

>

> We should be able to select either method, it's 2018.

That would be lovely, but unfortunately Spaghetti Code points and laughs at us.

It could be an option to include the mount skills in the mount action bar and use the action bar key bindings.

Or additional UI elements could be added for the purpose of making those skills visible to the player.

As more features are included in the game we are getting to a point where the "minimalistic" UI of GW2 is becoming

more of a boon than a buff to the user.

It's bad enough that there's a multitude of class and game mechanics not adequately presented to us and almost no

customisation options,now we got invisible skills too.

An update to the UI is long overdue.

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> Please please add Mount Abilities to the Action Bar by default. I hate the V and C keys for mount abilities. there are a bunch of empty slots on the mount's action bar. Please move them there.

Agree. All available skills should be visible not hidden/secret.

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"Leablo.2651" said:

> > > Isn't that what he's asking for?

> >

> > IDK, but it is absolutely what I'd ask for: please, please, put all the mount actions in the skill bar, and let me trigger them with the same buttons I use for my normal skills!

> >

> > Since I can only be one of mounted, or using my weapon, there is no inherent conflict, in the same way that any kit replaces my weapon skills.

>

> You can already bind Mount Ability 1 and 2 to your actionbar, and use the same keys as you would your weaponskills now. Some of us like the option to **not** have the same key we use as our weaponskills, putting mount abilities on the actionbar would remove this option in its entirety.

I just want to thank you so much for telling me this. I had assumed that binding the same key would result in them removing the existing binding (eg: I could only use it for a weapon skill *or* a mount skill.)

I'm definitely in favor of ANet making the approach you want easier, but I'm also super-happy as a result of your correction. This is one case where I'm very pleased to be wrong. ;)