GW 2 Devs/Playerbase Twitter Discussion

I personally read all the tweets from Price, Fries, Derior and INKS surrounding this whole fiasco, and I can honestly see why Price is no longer there, and Fries, who knows he may have left on his own. After going over her twitter posts and retweets, I don't know if 'training' would have done much to help. She seems to have some issues with self control when it comes to social media.

She lists herself as an ANet employee, and she tweeted, publicly about the AMA & writing for the story in GW2 herself...

Derior and INKS were the furthest thing from rude, insulting, or insinuating that because she is a female dev, that she was wrong. Price took it upon herself to bring out that card, and got downright rude and insulting to both.

Derior made a valid point, that maybe if there were branching choices, then maybe more people would be invested into their character (I would akin this to the SWTOR style of choice for those that are familiar with that game). For some reason this was bad to her. A PUBLIC twitter, where she, a dev, brought up the topic to begin with, then got defensive and attacked people trying to start a constructive dialog. Instead it turned into an unnecessary storm created by Price over something she could have easily just ignored and moved on from if she didn't want to discuss it. But she couldn't let it go and, again, her seeming lack of self control on social media exploded.

That all being said, there is probably a lot more about this situation that we will never know about to trigger the end result. MO said 'they are no longer with the company', could mean they were fired, could mean they left on their own volition instead, but I doubt we will ever know unless either say anything publicly about it.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Kosze.3169" said:

> I think this is all kitten. She doesn't represent the whole game. And I really hope this is just a glass Anet placed on this situation and didn't actually fire her. Yeah, maybe she didn't answer well on her personal twitter.

> You know who else doesn't? The president of the U.S.A. go fire him.

> Also, her job here is to write plot on the game, not PR, not customer service, not graphic design, not gaming mechanics. To all of you saying "She's not doing her job correctly" don't be fools. Again, personal Twitter.

LOL well said.

> Okay, I don't see that as a backhand. She says the genre is the fault point here but the partner says "perhaps it's just your game"? That's exactly right. SWTOR is the anti-thesis to her observation.

>

Yup. I keep seeing people try to bash Deroir and state how doing what he asks is impossible and he doesn't know what he's talking about. They specifically point to the genre and say it can't be done with MMOs....but, well SWTOR did it, so it's obviously not so impossible as they think it is. Now maybe there is something regarding the Living Story in particular that makes it not work? Who knows, but instead of biting the head off of player she could have just answered in a civil manner. Instead she was rude and dismissive. That kind of behavior is simply not acceptable. She is an Arenanet employee in a public setting talking to a customer. When interacting with customers some thought must be put into your responses.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Brother.1504" said:

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > > > Actually, I'm disappointed in ArenaNet...and the vast majority of the GW community as well...this is 2018, we all need to move into the now and start learning to separate a persons freedom of speech on PERSONAL social media from what they say on BUSINESS related social media. This actually extends beyond social media and includes sports personal conduct clauses...what you or anyone does on their own PERSONAL time does not reflect on how well they perform a job. I'm going to be quite unpopular with the following, but all of this really started with the Ray Rice thing(look it up if you don't know about that) and the NFL. Now, before you think I condone any type of abuse against another person you'd be so far from the truth it would make me laugh, but having said that, even though what he did to his girlfriend in an elevator during the off-season was atrocious, I do not think it was anyone's business but his and hers alone. If you're going to hold someone else up as a role model, society has a serious issue, the only role models should be your parents(if you have them of course).

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The only way society is going to advance is this way: what you do at work or while representing your employer is directly related to that employer; what you do or say on your own PERSONAL time has nothing to do with your employer and until the rest of the world learns this we're all screwed(that even includes if you reference your employer on your own PERSONAL social media handles). I DO NOT CARE what someone does on their own time, nor should anyone else but that person, even the employer should not care what that person does on their own PERSONAL time, but we as a society have forgotten how to separate work from personal time...that is what work hours are for, so those people unable to tell the difference can.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Wake up world, this is 2018, not 1984 or 1950 or anyone other year...time to evolve or die out.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If the person, on their own time and personal social media accounts, is actively promoting themself as a company representative then they have decided to erase the line between personal and professional.

> > > > >

> > > > > Like I said, that's old school thinking, which almost everyone is still doing...either humankind evolves or it dies out, until humankind can learn to separate personal time from employee time...we as a society are screwed. I do not care if you mention in your private personal social media accounts who you work for, those are for your own private thoughts, I'm smart enough to realize they do not reflect the company you work for, but as we've all seen...there is another single person in America that is smart enough to be able to do that. I won't speak for the rest of the world...let me put my thinking into a simple example...I wear a uniform at work, while I'm wearing that uniform I am representing my employer, the minute I take off any part of the uniform that identifies my employer I am no on my PERSONAL time and I should be allowed to say anything I want that isn't illegal...even if completely contradicts my employers public image...that is the state the world needs to be in, separate the individual from the job, they are not the same thing.

> > > >

> > > > Right, but the person who chose to not separate the personal time from the professional was her. She chose to not evolve, as you put it, and suffered the, very unfortunate, consequences.

> > >

> > > Apparently you're unable to comprehend what I'm saying...it isn't only the poster that has to do that, it's also the reader...EVERYONE needs to separate personal time from professional time, even if you list your professional associations on your PERSONAL social media...that is what I am saying. Let me put it this way, say you work an 8 - 5 job, what you say during those 8 - 5 hours reflects on your employer...anything you say outside of those hours, unless you're at a function representing your employer are your PERSONAL opinions and have no reflection on your employer....that is how we as a society need to evolve.

> >

> > This is social media policy and procedures 101 in most professions. Personal time is yours, when representing the brand your always professional, even in this politically charged times we are living. This is a learning experience for all parties involved. Anet management handled this well, quick, decisive, with a strong internal and public message.

>

> I understand that, and I'm saying it needs to change and it needs to change now, pronto, yesterday, last year...no one should ever be considered to representing a brand when on personal time, even if you display that brand on your personal social media(which is self-defeating until those "brands" realize this simple fact)...that is what I'm trying to get at. If we here in the United States made it illegal for businesses to use an employees personal social media accounts against them, that would be a big step in opening up the avenues of dissent and discussion on all fronts, but that will never happen because...reasons that would probably get me in trouble.

I'm sorry, but the rules do not need to change because you feel they have to.

> @"Sarrs.4831" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > If we here in the United States made it illegal for businesses to use an employees personal social media accounts against them, that would be a big step in opening up the avenues of dissent and discussion on all fronts, but that will never happen because...reasons that would probably get me in trouble.

>

> You believe that someone who uses their personal twitter to attack their employer's customers should be protected under the law?...

What I'm saying is that is practically the only way we're going to allow people to be themselves and say what they really think without repercussions from their employers...look, if I'm talking to someone from a company on their own personal time, and I'm a customer of that company, I'm not going to take anything they say to me as if that is a representation of the companies ideals as well...I can reasonably presume that this person has their own thoughts and opinions and I can reasonably allow them to say them as well...without holding against the persons employer, it was during work hours or while they were officially representing their employer, it was on private time ...guess that makes me unusual. I prefer to think it makes me enlightened and someone far ahead of their time...I shouldn't be here now, my thought processes are to 24th or 25th century to be understood.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > Actually, I'm disappointed in ArenaNet...and the vast majority of the GW community as well...this is 2018, we all need to move into the now and start learning to separate a persons freedom of speech on PERSONAL social media from what they say on BUSINESS related social media. This actually extends beyond social media and includes sports personal conduct clauses...what you or anyone does on their own PERSONAL time does not reflect on how well they perform a job. I'm going to be quite unpopular with the following, but all of this really started with the Ray Rice thing(look it up if you don't know about that) and the NFL. Now, before you think I condone any type of abuse against another person you'd be so far from the truth it would make me laugh, but having said that, even though what he did to his girlfriend in an elevator during the off-season was atrocious, I do not think it was anyone's business but his and hers alone. If you're going to hold someone else up as a role model, society has a serious issue, the only role models should be your parents(if you have them of course).

> > > > >

> > > > > The only way society is going to advance is this way: what you do at work or while representing your employer is directly related to that employer; what you do or say on your own PERSONAL time has nothing to do with your employer and until the rest of the world learns this we're all screwed(that even includes if you reference your employer on your own PERSONAL social media handles). I DO NOT CARE what someone does on their own time, nor should anyone else but that person, even the employer should not care what that person does on their own PERSONAL time, but we as a society have forgotten how to separate work from personal time...that is what work hours are for, so those people unable to tell the difference can.

> > > > >

> > > > > Wake up world, this is 2018, not 1984 or 1950 or anyone other year...time to evolve or die out.

> > > >

> > > > If the person, on their own time and personal social media accounts, is actively promoting themself as a company representative then they have decided to erase the line between personal and professional.

> > >

> > > Like I said, that's old school thinking, which almost everyone is still doing...either humankind evolves or it dies out, until humankind can learn to separate personal time from employee time...we as a society are screwed. I do not care if you mention in your private personal social media accounts who you work for, those are for your own private thoughts, I'm smart enough to realize they do not reflect the company you work for, but as we've all seen...there is another single person in America that is smart enough to be able to do that. I won't speak for the rest of the world...let me put my thinking into a simple example...I wear a uniform at work, while I'm wearing that uniform I am representing my employer, the minute I take off any part of the uniform that identifies my employer I am no on my PERSONAL time and I should be allowed to say anything I want that isn't illegal...even if completely contradicts my employers public image...that is the state the world needs to be in, separate the individual from the job, they are not the same thing.

> >

> > Right, but the person who chose to not separate the personal time from the professional was her. She chose to not evolve, as you put it, and suffered the, very unfortunate, consequences.

>

> Apparently you're unable to comprehend what I'm saying...it isn't only the poster that has to do that, it's also the reader...EVERYONE needs to separate personal time from professional time, even if you list your professional associations on your PERSONAL social media...that is what I am saying. Let me put it this way, say you work an 8 - 5 job, what you say during those 8 - 5 hours reflects on your employer...anything you say outside of those hours, unless you're at a function representing your employer are your PERSONAL opinions and have no reflection on your employer....that is how we as a society need to evolve.

There's a very obvious fine line on this limitation though.

I agree with the seperation of work and private life.. I've even said it myself in a previous comment.

However the company/employee line can only be seperated by the individual not the company.

If the individual chooses to affiliate their private social media with their place of employment then whether they like it or not their work and home lives are no longer seperate on their social media.

I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that none of us think that what JP said on her personal social media in any way reflects Anet as a company.. that would just be crazy.

However how can we expect Anet to maintain it's great reputation as an open an welcoming company that values and respects all its customers equally without prejudice when one of their employees is actively abusing the company's customers on a social media account that also happens to be directly affiliated to their company?

There's just no way any company can tolerate that kind of behavior and disrespect from an employee.. on the clock or not, personal media account or not..

Public affiliation demands similar responsibilities and an employee that choses to represent their employer in their personal time needs to be held accountable for any and all negative publicity they bring towards the company that employs them through their behavior.

I do not agree with the things JP said but I do support her right to say those things and had she done so on a personal social media account that was not affiliated with Anet Almost none of us would even have known about it in the first place and chances are the original comments that started this mess probably wouldn't have even happened either since the vast majority of her followers are Anet customers and would not be following her in the first place.

Seperation of work and private life is definitely the best way to go we're very much agreed there.

However this is and should always be the responsibility of the individual.

> @"Blaeys.3102" said:

> For everyone criticizing these people being fired - take a closer look at what Mike Obrien wrote. "As a result, they are no longer with the company." He never said they were fired. All we know is they are gone. It is just as likely that the company offered a way out of this and they chose to leave instead. We just don't know - and likely never will - and I am sure this decision wasn't made casually.

>

> At the end of the day, it is probably just better for everyone that this is over and behind them.

Of course they aren't going to say they fired them. That's in poor taste. Even to their face, their management staff didn't say "You're fired" but likely "We're going to have to let you go". They don't want to leave too rough a door print on those that leave because you never want a disgruntled ex-employee charging into the building ready to take names and chew bubblegum.

> @"Valkira Laments.8762" said:

> > @"Brother.1504" said:

> > > @"Valkira Laments.8762" said:

> > > Is it too early to ask if ArenaNet is hiring again?

> >

> > Not too early just in extremely bad taste.

>

> And you would defend someone who has no problems being toxic towards you. You have a really bad taste in people.

I get it your comment was trying to be “edgy” and the internet people wants to fight. There was a public relations problem due to an employees conduct and anet handled it quickly and professionally. The internet people are looking for the next thing to be outraged about.

> @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > @"Kosze.3169" said:

> > I think this is all kitten. She doesn't represent the whole game. And I really hope this is just a glass Anet placed on this situation and didn't actually fire her. Yeah, maybe she didn't answer well on her personal twitter.

> > You know who else doesn't? The president of the U.S.A. go fire him.

> > Also, her job here is to write plot on the game, not PR, not customer service, not graphic design, not gaming mechanics. To all of you saying "She's not doing her job correctly" don't be fools. Again, personal Twitter.

>

> LOL well said.

Because lying to the player-base will go over so well when they inevitably get caught...

This isn't just a case of someone holding an undesirable opinion and being fired for it. This is a case of extreme toxicity, and direct, unabashed hostility towards customers. Even if I agreed with her premise, I'd be absolutely appalled by her behavior in this latest incident. It's also not just one incident. It's a pattern, and a very extreme one over a long period of time.

She was willing to list her employer on her personal twitter, then with the name of that employer right there, _in the context of a GW2 conversation nonetheless_, she said some extremely caustic things to someone who, quite frankly whether you agree with them or not, did not deserve that level of hostility. On more than one occasion she leveled personal attacks on customers. The only question is why it took so long. If someone like this worked for me, even if I 100% agreed with them, I'd want them out as soon as I could get them out.

As for the president... Yes I'd love to see him get fired, were it only so easy. It is neither so easy nor is it remotely related to this conversation so I'm not sure why it's even being brought up.

> @"Kosze.3169" said:

> I think this is all kitten. She doesn't represent the whole game. And I really hope this is just a glass Anet placed on this situation and didn't actually fire her. Yeah, maybe she didn't answer well on her personal twitter.

> You know who else doesn't? The president of the U.S.A. go fire him.

> Also, her job here is to write plot on the game, not PR, not customer service, not graphic design, not gaming mechanics. To all of you saying "She's not doing her job correctly" don't be fools. Again, personal Twitter.

I can't help but feel that the people making comments like this are on the younger side? If I went out and posted on my personal twitter using my real name as well as my company's name and then went around insulting clients I'm pretty sure I'd be fired the next day. That's how it works. If you want to keep your job I highly suggest you don't go around behaving in such a manner.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > > Actually, I'm disappointed in ArenaNet...and the vast majority of the GW community as well...this is 2018, we all need to move into the now and start learning to separate a persons freedom of speech on PERSONAL social media from what they say on BUSINESS related social media. This actually extends beyond social media and includes sports personal conduct clauses...what you or anyone does on their own PERSONAL time does not reflect on how well they perform a job. I'm going to be quite unpopular with the following, but all of this really started with the Ray Rice thing(look it up if you don't know about that) and the NFL. Now, before you think I condone any type of abuse against another person you'd be so far from the truth it would make me laugh, but having said that, even though what he did to his girlfriend in an elevator during the off-season was atrocious, I do not think it was anyone's business but his and hers alone. If you're going to hold someone else up as a role model, society has a serious issue, the only role models should be your parents(if you have them of course).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The only way society is going to advance is this way: what you do at work or while representing your employer is directly related to that employer; what you do or say on your own PERSONAL time has nothing to do with your employer and until the rest of the world learns this we're all screwed(that even includes if you reference your employer on your own PERSONAL social media handles). I DO NOT CARE what someone does on their own time, nor should anyone else but that person, even the employer should not care what that person does on their own PERSONAL time, but we as a society have forgotten how to separate work from personal time...that is what work hours are for, so those people unable to tell the difference can.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Wake up world, this is 2018, not 1984 or 1950 or anyone other year...time to evolve or die out.

> > > > >

> > > > > If the person, on their own time and personal social media accounts, is actively promoting themself as a company representative then they have decided to erase the line between personal and professional.

> > > >

> > > > Like I said, that's old school thinking, which almost everyone is still doing...either humankind evolves or it dies out, until humankind can learn to separate personal time from employee time...we as a society are screwed. I do not care if you mention in your private personal social media accounts who you work for, those are for your own private thoughts, I'm smart enough to realize they do not reflect the company you work for, but as we've all seen...there is another single person in America that is smart enough to be able to do that. I won't speak for the rest of the world...let me put my thinking into a simple example...I wear a uniform at work, while I'm wearing that uniform I am representing my employer, the minute I take off any part of the uniform that identifies my employer I am no on my PERSONAL time and I should be allowed to say anything I want that isn't illegal...even if completely contradicts my employers public image...that is the state the world needs to be in, separate the individual from the job, they are not the same thing.

> > >

> > > Right, but the person who chose to not separate the personal time from the professional was her. She chose to not evolve, as you put it, and suffered the, very unfortunate, consequences.

> >

> > Apparently you're unable to comprehend what I'm saying...it isn't only the poster that has to do that, it's also the reader...EVERYONE needs to separate personal time from professional time, even if you list your professional associations on your PERSONAL social media...that is what I am saying. Let me put it this way, say you work an 8 - 5 job, what you say during those 8 - 5 hours reflects on your employer...anything you say outside of those hours, unless you're at a function representing your employer are your PERSONAL opinions and have no reflection on your employer....that is how we as a society need to evolve.

>

> There's a very obvious fine line on this limitation though.

>

> I agree with the seperation of work and private life.. I've even said it myself in a previous comment.

> However the company/employee line can only be seperated by the individual not the company.

> If the individual chooses to affiliate their private social media with their place of employment then whether they like it or not their work and home lives are no longer seperate on their social media.

>

> I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that none of us think that what JP said on her personal social media in any way reflects Anet as a company.. that would just be crazy.

> However how can we expect Anet to maintain it's great reputation as an open an welcoming company that values and respects all its customers equally without prejudice when one of their employees is actively abusing the company's customers on a social media account that also happens to be directly affiliated to their company?

>

> There's just no way any company can tolerate that kind of behavior and disrespect from an employee.. on the clock or not, personal media account or not..

> Public affiliation demands similar responsibilities and an employee that choses to represent their employer in their personal time needs to be held accountable for any and all negative publicity they bring towards the company that employs them through their behavior.

>

> I do not agree with the things JP said but I do support her right to say those things and had she done so on a personal social media account that was not affiliated with Anet Almost none of us would even have known about it in the first place and chances are the original comments that started this mess probably wouldn't have even happened either since the vast majority of her followers are Anet customers and would not be following her in the first place.

>

> Seperation of work and private life is definitely the best way to go we're very much agreed there.

> However this is and should always be the responsibility of the individual.

Here's were you an I disagree...it should not be the individuals responsibility, it should be the companies responsibility to know the difference...after all, why do so many companies put out notices saying that the comments of so and so do not reflect the beliefs of this company? That tells me that companies already realize people are entitled to their opinions, but I actually do find fault with the other person in this case...and I've read what caused the uproar, that post was not an invitation to open a dialogue...it was a list of the facts stating why ArenaNet is constrained in telling the story they way they do...no where in that post did I see an invitation to offer an alternative or even open up a dialogue about it. I'm not sure how this Derior person is or if they're a native English speaker, but if they aren't then that could've been the problem, not understanding the context of the post, it wasn't an open invitation for discussion...it was more like a dissertation...this is how it is and why.

Let me just add my two cents here, as a longtime fan of the Guild Wars franchise...

As a personal principle I dont like this environment we currently live in where anytime someone says something offensive, or stupid, or displays shocking ignorance that they need to be punished verbally, professionally, and personally. Generally speaking, it is not illegal to be stupid, or to say stupid things regardless of who you are. We all have the right to Freedom of Speech and Expression, and these rights were specifically implemented to protect disagreeable speech. That being said, it does not protect an individual in the workplace. A business must protect itself from anything or anyone deemed toxic so as not to alienate their customer base, this is just common sense.

As a white male, I find these comments not only idiotic but ignorant as well, but so what. I can choose not to read them, or to follow the individual posting such comments. I don't have to constantly put myself in a position where I will be outraged and demand blood. People need to stop being offended by everything and build thicker skins.

In the end, Anet as a business had to protect themselves and had only one path to pursue. Clearly this person has a history of posting offensive and toxic things online, and insulting your customer base is the dumbest thing you can ever do as an employee or business. Had they not acted quicker, this could have evolved into a much larger PR nightmare. This decision was about the employees terrible interaction and perception of the playerbase, not for personal views on politics or society.

JP is a good riddance but I don't think Peter attacked the fan base nor did he do anything so bad to deserve the punishment he's got. I by no means agree with how he handled things and his stance. But I think he did not act so with the intent to degrade the player community like JP did. I hope the company reconsider the decision to fire him. If not, I hope he has learned and recovers from this.

> @"Mike O Brien.4613" said:

> Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

>

> I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

>

> Mo

Cool, looks like I'm not gonna pick up any new GW2 expansions.

> @"xarallei.4279" said:

> > @"Pyroatheist.9031" said:

> > > @"kimeekat.2548" said:

> > > I'm disappointed in Arenanet and _really_ upset that Peter is gone. Collecting some things I've said elsewhere in the hope that Gaile or someone sees:

> >

> > Imo Peter was likely fired primarily because a situation like this is an enormous risk for a wrongful termination lawsuit if the punishment is not applied equally to all involved.

>

> This. The rules must be applied equally or not at all. Either no one gets fired or both do. To apply things in an unequal manner leaves you open to future legal claims. They have to protect themselves and any legal counsel would most certainly have recommended terminating both.

Where does it say they were “fired”, not with the company is different. I would wager they were asked to apologize then asked to sign a resignation letter when terms couldn’t be met. This is 2018, not the movies where the cliche boss walks into a crowded room and yells “your fired.” Like who does that.

> @"DaShi.1368" said:

> All I'm seeing through searches about this is a bunch of white men defending other white men. Can someone please help me find some articles and comments from women on this topic?

Hi, I'm a woman, and I am glad beyond belief that Price was fired. Price's disgusting, vile behaviour was utterly unacceptable as a representative of ArenaNet. What other articles or comments are you looking for? I'm a tad confused.

Also, what does skin color have to do with anything?

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> I understand that, and I'm saying it needs to change and it needs to change now, pronto, yesterday, last year...no one should ever be considered to representing a brand when on personal time, even if you display that brand on your personal social media(which is self-defeating until those "brands" realize this simple fact)...that is what I'm trying to get at. If we here in the United States made it illegal for businesses to use an employees personal social media accounts against them, that would be a big step in opening up the avenues of dissent and discussion on all fronts, but that will never happen because...reasons that would probably get me in trouble.

Companies don't fire staff over social media posts for fun. They do it because it has measurable, quantifiable, real negative effects on their sales. Your desire to "change" this fact would involve re-writing the human brain so that people don't associate bad employee with bad company. If that's something you want to pursue, I wish you luck in your future PhDs in neuroscience, psychology, biomedicine, and biotechnology.

> @"Batel.9206" said:

> > @"DaShi.1368" said:

> > All I'm seeing through searches about this is a bunch of white men defending other white men. Can someone please help me find some articles and comments from women on this topic?

>

> Hi, I'm a woman, and I am glad beyond belief that Price was fired. Price's disgusting, vile behaviour was utterly unacceptable as a representative of ArenaNet. What other articles or comments are you looking for? I'm a tad confused.

>

> Also, what does skin color have to do with anything?

To some people, everything apparently. In their eyes, not everyone deserves a voice to speak with. It's a shame, but luckily people like that are not nearly as numerous as the many people who disapprove of that kind of hate, so it's ok.

> @"Alfador.7649" said:

> > @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > > @"Kosze.3169" said:

> > > I think this is all kitten. She doesn't represent the whole game. And I really hope this is just a glass Anet placed on this situation and didn't actually fire her. Yeah, maybe she didn't answer well on her personal twitter.

> > > You know who else doesn't? The president of the U.S.A. go fire him.

> > > Also, her job here is to write plot on the game, not PR, not customer service, not graphic design, not gaming mechanics. To all of you saying "She's not doing her job correctly" don't be fools. Again, personal Twitter.

> >

> > LOL well said.

>

> Because lying to the player-base will go over so well when they inevitably get caught...

>

> This isn't just a case of someone holding an undesirable opinion and being fired for it. This is a case of extreme toxicity, and direct, unabashed hostility towards customers. Even if I agreed with her premise, I'd be absolutely appalled by her behavior in this latest incident. It's also not just one incident. It's a pattern, and a very extreme one over a long period of time.

>

> She was willing to list her employer on her personal twitter, then with the name of that employer right there, _in the context of a GW2 conversation nonetheless_, she said some extremely caustic things to someone who, quite frankly whether you agree with them or not, did not deserve that level of hostility. On more than one occasion she leveled personal attacks on customers. The only question is why it took so long. If someone like this worked for me, even if I 100% agreed with them, I'd want them out as soon as I could get them out.

>

> As for the president... Yes I'd love to see him get fired, were it only so easy. It is neither so easy nor is it remotely related to this conversation so I'm not sure why it's even being brought up.

You have both valid points. I don't know the extent of the problem nor the older ones. Didn't know this was a pattern of conduct either. But what must be done here first, instead of firing, should be a letter of apology from the Dev, or at least the option to say "sorry won't do this again" and maybe that path will be taken or not.

Now, maybe they got yelled at and responded badly and then got fired, we'll never know.

I still firmly believe that if this was done on her personal twitter it shouldn't be such a huge issue, not like the whole kitten game balances from this. Also It didn't seem such a huge attack from either party involved, just a stupid discussion.