GW 2 Devs/Playerbase Twitter Discussion

She was being completely toxic. Sad to see Peter get mixed in this, though I'd guess that giving him a pass would have complicated things exponentially. Unfortunately she'll probably do plenty of damage on the way out. ANET needs to fix its crazy detector. There's a difference between a dedicated feminist and an unhinged loon. The former will push women's issues forward. The latter will always play the victim/gender card and they will rule with an iron fist. If you cross them they will find ways to make you suffer.

They could burn the place to the ground and it would still be your fault. And then they will haunt you...possibly for decades.

Now maybe she was just having a bad week but all the follow up interviews and articles seem to imply that this is just how she sees reality.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

> > > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > Im assuming that cMonsta is looking to get banned, so I am just going to ignore them.

> > >

> > > That said, nothing is personal once you are recognized as a professional, you must put on a professional persona, weather you are a celebrity or just a worker at McDonalds.

> > > For example, you work at say... a pet grooming store, your stores most valuable customer somehow finds you on twitter and engages.... should you be fired for telling them off?

> > > What if your boss finds you? think you will get off being belligerent at them?

> >

> > I would personally put the limit at whether you advertise your company or not.

> > Which is where JP's argument is dishonest, that AND she was talking about her work.

> > At my work Twitter and other social medias are clearly mentioned as places where you can potentially expose the company, and so you "have" to be careful. My "defense" is simply to have an anon account.

> > IRL if you're being a jerk to customers, you can be damaging a company. If you put your name, and job on twitter on a public account, it's not that different from discussing about something IRL.

> > The exception is the creation of an anon account...

> > Of course, you could also choose to just be generally nice by default, but social medias aren't exactly promoting that...

> >

> > Also, sad to say, but not all industries are equal. The amount of damage you can make whether you're being a jerk while working at Walmart of at the head of an IT department is really different.

> > Business act rationally to stay in business. Nobody like firing people just for fun.

>

> I disagree *slightly*

>

> being recognized is the most important factor, advertised or not. If People know where you work, then there is not difference in the end. People will see you as a representative, you will be reported as a representitive, and people will decide to support the company they recognize you as being part of due to your representation.

> JP is pretty well recognized by the community as a GW2 writer, being left off her profile does not magically stop people from recognizing this.

That's true, but at least she can say she tried.

Whereas in this case, it comes out as dishonest when she pretend that her behavior wasn't related to her work.

I simply believe that people should take responsibility for how they choose to act. The easier way is still -not- to be a jerk for no reason (or not at all).

> @"Reh.5986" said:

> She was being completely toxic. Sad to see Peter get mixed in this, though I'd guess that giving him a pass would have complicated things exponentially. Unfortunately she'll probably do plenty of damage on the way out. ANET needs to fix its crazy detector. There's a difference between a dedicated feminist and an unhinged loon. The former will push women's issues forward. The latter will always play the victim/gender card and they will rule with an iron fist. If you cross them they will find ways to make you suffer.

>

> They could burn the place to the ground and it would still be your fault. And then they will haunt you...possibly for decades.

>

> Now maybe she was just having a bad week but all the follow up interviews and articles seem to imply that this is just how she sees reality.

What happened to him might have been more up to what happened behind closed doors. And for all we know, he decided to leave by his own volition.

> > @"Reh.5986" said:

> > She was being completely toxic. Sad to see Peter get mixed in this, though I'd guess that giving him a pass would have complicated things exponentially. Unfortunately she'll probably do plenty of damage on the way out. ANET needs to fix its crazy detector. There's a difference between a dedicated feminist and an unhinged loon. The former will push women's issues forward. The latter will always play the victim/gender card and they will rule with an iron fist. If you cross them they will find ways to make you suffer.

> >

> > They could burn the place to the ground and it would still be your fault. And then they will haunt you...possibly for decades.

> >

> > Now maybe she was just having a bad week but all the follow up interviews and articles seem to imply that this is just how she sees reality.

>

> What happened to him might have been more up to what happened behind closed doors. And for all we know, he decided to leave by his own volition.

PF was polite towards Arenanet AND he didn't want to cause extra drama by going to the media, his response was truly the professional one. There were people on his twitter feed asking him if he needs any help now that he was fired, and his reply was to give their help to a charity instead. He is a good man and will probably get work somewhere very very soon.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > @"Reh.5986" said:

> > > She was being completely toxic. Sad to see Peter get mixed in this, though I'd guess that giving him a pass would have complicated things exponentially. Unfortunately she'll probably do plenty of damage on the way out. ANET needs to fix its crazy detector. There's a difference between a dedicated feminist and an unhinged loon. The former will push women's issues forward. The latter will always play the victim/gender card and they will rule with an iron fist. If you cross them they will find ways to make you suffer.

> > >

> > > They could burn the place to the ground and it would still be your fault. And then they will haunt you...possibly for decades.

> > >

> > > Now maybe she was just having a bad week but all the follow up interviews and articles seem to imply that this is just how she sees reality.

> >

> > What happened to him might have been more up to what happened behind closed doors. And for all we know, he decided to leave by his own volition.

>

> PF was polite towards Arenanet AND he didn't want to cause extra drama by going to the media, his response was truly the professional one. There were people on his twitter feed asking him if he needs any help now that he was fired, and his reply was to give their help to a charity instead. He is a good man and will probably get work somewhere very very soon.

Let's hope so.

> > > @"Reh.5986" said:

> > > She was being completely toxic. Sad to see Peter get mixed in this, though I'd guess that giving him a pass would have complicated things exponentially. Unfortunately she'll probably do plenty of damage on the way out. ANET needs to fix its crazy detector. There's a difference between a dedicated feminist and an unhinged loon. The former will push women's issues forward. The latter will always play the victim/gender card and they will rule with an iron fist. If you cross them they will find ways to make you suffer.

> > >

> > > They could burn the place to the ground and it would still be your fault. And then they will haunt you...possibly for decades.

> > >

> > > Now maybe she was just having a bad week but all the follow up interviews and articles seem to imply that this is just how she sees reality.

> >

> > What happened to him might have been more up to what happened behind closed doors. And for all we know, he decided to leave by his own volition.

>

> PF was polite towards Arenanet AND he didn't want to cause extra drama by going to the media, his response was truly the professional one. There were people on his twitter feed asking him if he needs any help now that he was fired, and his reply was to give their help to a charity instead. He is a good man and will probably get work somewhere very very soon.

Sorry, but I still do not see anything there which says he was actually fired, could you show me a statement from Anet or PF which shows he was and why?

I mean he could have left simply because he was unhappy with JP being fired.

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"Reh.5986" said:

> > > > She was being completely toxic. Sad to see Peter get mixed in this, though I'd guess that giving him a pass would have complicated things exponentially. Unfortunately she'll probably do plenty of damage on the way out. ANET needs to fix its crazy detector. There's a difference between a dedicated feminist and an unhinged loon. The former will push women's issues forward. The latter will always play the victim/gender card and they will rule with an iron fist. If you cross them they will find ways to make you suffer.

> > > >

> > > > They could burn the place to the ground and it would still be your fault. And then they will haunt you...possibly for decades.

> > > >

> > > > Now maybe she was just having a bad week but all the follow up interviews and articles seem to imply that this is just how she sees reality.

> > >

> > > What happened to him might have been more up to what happened behind closed doors. And for all we know, he decided to leave by his own volition.

> >

> > PF was polite towards Arenanet AND he didn't want to cause extra drama by going to the media, his response was truly the professional one. There were people on his twitter feed asking him if he needs any help now that he was fired, and his reply was to give their help to a charity instead. He is a good man and will probably get work somewhere very very soon.

>

> Sorry, but I still do not see anything there which says he was actually fired, could you show me a statement from Anet or PF which shows he was and why?

> I mean he could have left simply because he was unhappy with JP being fired.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/586426/#Comment_586426

> Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

Who is MO referring to???

> > @"The Greyhawk.9107" said:

> > Crazies are always fun as hell to read.

>

> And report to moderators! Sad part is, I expect the last page to be deleted, or cleaned up, soon-ish which means we'll lose all these gems!

>

> > @"Sithis.3564" said:

> > This **social** media platform has a **private** setting.. but was set on **public**.

>

> Exactly. Plus there have been people held accountable for what they type on social media since 2009 (that I know of) Complaining about it now is like 9 years too late.

> Accountability and responsibility for your actions is something people learn as they become adults, some are stuck in their teen years it seems.

I know right...or some people are just stuck on complete freedom. But meh, whatever.

> @"cMonsta.8049" said:

> > @"The Greyhawk.9107" said:

> > Crazies are always fun as hell to read.

>

> I know right, I've been having a great time.

You remind me of those people back in GW1's heyday that would intentionally try to get /Banscythed, spouting all kinds of trash in order to get enough reports so that Dhuum would be summoned and strike them down (I've always suspected that this was done with stolen accounts). Welp, it was fun watching your word defecation and attacks while I could, but I greatly suspect you'll not be around once I log in tomorrow.

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > > > @"Reh.5986" said:

> > > > > She was being completely toxic. Sad to see Peter get mixed in this, though I'd guess that giving him a pass would have complicated things exponentially. Unfortunately she'll probably do plenty of damage on the way out. ANET needs to fix its crazy detector. There's a difference between a dedicated feminist and an unhinged loon. The former will push women's issues forward. The latter will always play the victim/gender card and they will rule with an iron fist. If you cross them they will find ways to make you suffer.

> > > > >

> > > > > They could burn the place to the ground and it would still be your fault. And then they will haunt you...possibly for decades.

> > > > >

> > > > > Now maybe she was just having a bad week but all the follow up interviews and articles seem to imply that this is just how she sees reality.

> > > >

> > > > What happened to him might have been more up to what happened behind closed doors. And for all we know, he decided to leave by his own volition.

> > >

> > > PF was polite towards Arenanet AND he didn't want to cause extra drama by going to the media, his response was truly the professional one. There were people on his twitter feed asking him if he needs any help now that he was fired, and his reply was to give their help to a charity instead. He is a good man and will probably get work somewhere very very soon.

> >

> > Sorry, but I still do not see anything there which says he was actually fired, could you show me a statement from Anet or PF which shows he was and why?

> > I mean he could have left simply because he was unhappy with JP being fired.

>

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/586426/#Comment_586426

>

> > Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

>

> Who is MO referring to???

"they’re no longer with the company"

Is very malleable wording which does not specifically mean fired. Even if it usually used to refer to a firing as it is a softer, better for PR and less harsh to the people being fired so they can potentially find new work.

> "they’re no longer with the company"

> Is very malleable wording which does not specifically mean fired. Even if it usually used to refer to a firing as it is a softer, better for PR and less harsh to the people being fired so they can potentially find new work.

Fair enough. I don't "translate" it that way but I see your point. Who knows what happened behind close doors maybe you are right and PF walked away on his own and he would have regardless of this situation. All the best to PF!

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"Reh.5986" said:

> > > > She was being completely toxic. Sad to see Peter get mixed in this, though I'd guess that giving him a pass would have complicated things exponentially. Unfortunately she'll probably do plenty of damage on the way out. ANET needs to fix its crazy detector. There's a difference between a dedicated feminist and an unhinged loon. The former will push women's issues forward. The latter will always play the victim/gender card and they will rule with an iron fist. If you cross them they will find ways to make you suffer.

> > > >

> > > > They could burn the place to the ground and it would still be your fault. And then they will haunt you...possibly for decades.

> > > >

> > > > Now maybe she was just having a bad week but all the follow up interviews and articles seem to imply that this is just how she sees reality.

> > >

> > > What happened to him might have been more up to what happened behind closed doors. And for all we know, he decided to leave by his own volition.

> >

> > PF was polite towards Arenanet AND he didn't want to cause extra drama by going to the media, his response was truly the professional one. There were people on his twitter feed asking him if he needs any help now that he was fired, and his reply was to give their help to a charity instead. He is a good man and will probably get work somewhere very very soon.

>

> Sorry, but I still do not see anything there which says he was actually fired, could you show me a statement from Anet or PF which shows he was and why?

> I mean he could have left simply because he was unhappy with JP being fired.

This is actually a good point, because to come to think of it I cant recall anything being written that he was fired either.. hence why I have said that his "no longer with the company" is a little confusing to me.. I never saw any malice in his postings just his poor judgement to get involved with it at the worst time, but that said his posts were more generic rather than pointing fingers and certainly no aggressive tone, but maybe there were other factors, who knows.

In the period since leaving ANET though he has acted like any experienced pro should, especially considering some of the disgraceful twitter posts he and his family have received since all this went down and I respect him fully for how he has held up. I too hope he finds new footings very soon

When this all started I was quite certain that this was a 'simple' case of an employee being rude to a 'customer' on a social network. And then fired due to her comments.

But from reading her latest out burst (I followed to read the posts, nothing more nothing less) I have changed my opinion that this isn't just a simple thing on the surface.

Oh no.

Look upon the angle that she posted about her work and then a male answered and it had to be a male to reply, she then had the leeway to make it sexist, which appeared out of no where.

And then the fact this was done on a American Holiday and she posted as such, then why was she actually on twitter anyway, and why was PF, a family man, also on twitter at that time?

read her latest twitter when she states about how good women are in the industry, is that not sexist to males?

In essence the woman is on a mission, and she won't stop till something is destroyed in the process.

And while you are making all these comments, spare a thought for the other employees who are working under the shadow of all this, claiming to quit is affecting more than just 2 people.

At this moment in time i'm just glad I still have a game to log into.

Her latest revelations are self-defeating if you think about it. If everything was so fine and hunky-dory at ANet with many women doing the great work we've been seeing in this LS season, why make such a spectacle of yourself, messing that all up? She's basically showing herself to be the problem.

> @"fizzypetal.7936" said:

> > @"cMonsta.8049" said:

> > > @"fizzypetal.7936" said:

> > > I do wonder, if *part* of the reason JP & PF were let go is because ArenaNet were concerned JP's Twitter posts, while wearing the company badge, might open them up to libel/slander lawsuits.

> > >

> > > [https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779](https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779 "https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779")

> > >

> > > In this thread, it can be inferred, that she was accusing Marvel of racism. Jebro waded in on that one.

> > >

> > > EDIT: spelling

> >

> > Some of JP's posts are whackadoodle crazy, but to let PF go? Had to be so there wouldn't be a lawsuit from her, right?

>

> Maybe an element of guilt by association? If PF supports JP publicly when she goes after ArenaNet partners with damaging allegations, how many other views of JP does PF also support? And are the views of these two employees representative of ANet as a company?

>

> Being accused of sexism or racism can be quite damaging to the entities on the receiving end. Especially in today's political climate. I'm not surprised ArenaNet have attempted to distance themselves from this.

Well, PF had been with the company for 13 years (I believe that would include GW1 era), so guilt by association is what I figure...or maybe JP would say in her whackadoodle way "PF lashed out at the players too. you're only firing me because I'm a woman" and file a lawsuit (I'm sure they knew her views), so they HAD to let PF go also as a sacrificial lamb? IDK, I didn't see his response as any where close as damning as hers.

> I do wonder, if *part* of the reason JP & PF were let go is because ArenaNet were concerned JP's Twitter posts, while wearing the company badge, might open them up to libel/slander lawsuits.

>

> [https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779](https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779 "https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779")

>

> In this thread, it can be inferred, that she was accusing Marvel of racism. Jebro waded in on that one.

>

> EDIT: spelling

Possible, but jumping to cool one hot potato by stoking the heat for another by way of constructive dismissal.. I am not convinced they are that foolish. Maybe there are just some things we are not meant to be privy to

Hi guys (as in people, not just males or anything), I noticed that some people are talking about this as if it's somehow an issue of the USA. Please realize that some people don't actually live there, and don't care about the political situation there, who is from which region of the country, do they support Trump and so on. I, as I mentioned before, live in eastern europe, and I don't see how the US plays any part in this.

When I am a customer of something I expect to be treated respectfully regardless of its country of origin, and I'd venture to say everyone else does too. I see absolutely 0 reason to force your internal politics into this discussion, when this is a question of basic human decency.

On a side note, to show my support, I bought both expansions after 3 years hiatus (dropped the game when they made if free to play and screwed over existing customers, hopefully they won't do something similar again)

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > @"fizzypetal.7936" said:

> > I do wonder, if *part* of the reason JP & PF were let go is because ArenaNet were concerned JP's Twitter posts, while wearing the company badge, might open them up to libel/slander lawsuits.

> >

> > [https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779](https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779 "https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779")

> >

> > In this thread, it can be inferred, that she was accusing Marvel of racism. Jebro waded in on that one.

> >

> > EDIT: spelling

>

> Possible, but jumping to cool one hot potato by stoking the heat for another by way of constructive dismissal.. I am not convinced they are that foolish. Maybe there are just some things we are not meant to be privy to

I'm not sure JP or PF suing ANet was much of a consideration for ANet- from what I've read, the pair of them worked in a state that had 'at will' employment laws. So ANet were well within the law in letting them go.

I did say *part* - meaning possibly one of the many considerations. It may be that ANet felt it necessary to limit the liability JP, and by association, PF, were exposing ArenaNet to. I'm sure ANet would rather be putting their resources to game development/play and not to paying solicitors fees defending against defamation lawsuits.

I do agree with you on one thing - there are aspects of this that we should not or are meant to be privy to. :)

EDIT: spelling/grammer corrections

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > @"fizzypetal.7936" said:

> > > I do wonder, if *part* of the reason JP & PF were let go is because ArenaNet were concerned JP's Twitter posts, while wearing the company badge, might open them up to libel/slander lawsuits.

> > >

> > > [https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779](https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779 "https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/991198656266059779")

> > >

> > > In this thread, it can be inferred, that she was accusing Marvel of racism. Jebro waded in on that one.

> > >

> > > EDIT: spelling

> >

> > Possible, but jumping to cool one hot potato by stoking the heat for another by way of constructive dismissal.. I am not convinced they are that foolish. Maybe there are just some things we are not meant to be privy to

>

> I'm not sure JP or PF suing ANet was much of a consideration for ANet- from what I've read, the pair of them worked in a state that had 'at will' employment laws. So ANet were well within the law in letting them go.

>

> I did say *part* - meaning possibly one of the many considerations. It may be that ANet felt it necessary to limit the liability JP, and by association, PF, were exposing ArenaNet to. I'm sure ANet would rather be putting their resources to game development/play and not to paying solicitors fees defending against defamation lawsuits.

>

> I do agree with you on one thing - there are aspects of this that we should not or are meant to be privy to. :)

>

> EDIT: spelling/grammer corrections

Well I will be totally honest and declare I have no clue what US state has which employment laws, but even an employee working within the boundary of an "at will" state will have rights to protect against employment law abuses, not that I am saying any such thing took place here. But to let go or fire a vet game dev for his part in this sad state of affairs is still a mystery to me, which is why I did say a few posts back that actually was he fired or under the circumstances had his resignation accepted... anyhow we not paid to make those decisions for ANET, I just hope the rest of the company can rise above all this and keep focused and moving forward.

I've been quiet on this whole thing for too long I feel like. I just recently returned to this game after a year long hiatus. I was still new at my job as a NICU nurse and just couldn't find the time to play. Now I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I would like to dissect what price has been saying going around all the gaming news sites. I for one absolutely cannot believe that ArenaNet doesn't have a social media clause in their contract, or that they have no written corporate policy on social media. I firmly believe that JP is being disingenuous when she says that on these interviews.

Also I am a male in a very female dominated profession. My specialty is even more dominated by females, and I deal with things on a daily basis having my coworkers treat me differently because I'm a male or they feel a need to tell me I don't understand my job because I'm not a woman. So I can at least partially relate to JP in regards by sexism in the workplace. However her response to a completely polite and respectful tweet was so overly aggressive, and unprofessional.

Her behavior would be the equivalent of me going on Facebook and Twitter talking about how we care for our patients in the hospital and why. Then when a former patient (deroir) comes and says "hey have you guys thought of xxxx?" My response would basically be like "hey thanks for telling me how to be a nurse." Or berating a grandmother for one of my patients for giving me suggestions on how to care for their grandchild.

Anytime you put yourself out there in a public setting speaking of processed for the company you represent. You are expected to hold a certain amount of professionalism in this setting. She messed up, and I don't feel that MO messed up by letting them go.

Tldr: Anet as a company I'm sure has social media etiquette policies. She failed to uphold those policies while representing the company on her personal Twitter. Given her attitude during this whole thing I doubt this is her first offense. MO didnt cave to the community trolls, he upheld his company's policy regarding social media.

> @"jportell.2197" said:

> I've been quiet on this whole thing for too long I feel like. I just recently returned to this game after a year long hiatus. I was still new at my job as a NICU nurse and just couldn't find the time to play. Now I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I would like to dissect what price has been saying going around all the gaming news sites. I for one absolutely cannot believe that ArenaNet doesn't have a social media clause in their contract, or that they have no written corporate policy on social media. I firmly believe that JP is being disingenuous when she says that on these interviews.

>

> Also I am a male in a very female dominated profession. My specialty is even more dominated by females, and I deal with things on a daily basis having my coworkers treat me differently because I'm a male or they feel a need to tell me I don't understand my job because I'm not a woman. So I can at least partially relate to JP in regards by sexism in the workplace. However her response to a completely polite and respectful tweet was so overly aggressive, and unprofessional.

>

> Her behavior would be the equivalent of me going on Facebook and Twitter talking about how we care for our patients in the hospital and why. Then when a former patient (deroir) comes and says "hey have you guys thought of xxxx?" My response would basically be like "hey thanks for telling me how to be a nurse." Or berating a grandmother for one of my patients for giving me suggestions on how to care for their grandchild.

>

> Anytime you put yourself out there in a public setting speaking of processed for the company you represent. You are expected to hold a certain amount of professionalism in this setting. She messed up, and I don't feel that MO messed up by letting them go.

>

> Tldr: Anet as a company I'm sure has social media etiquette policies. She failed to uphold those policies while representing the company on her personal Twitter. Given her attitude during this whole thing I doubt this is her first offense. MO didnt cave to the community trolls, he upheld his company's policy regarding social media.

Interesting post . thumbs up.

And your right it isn't JP's first rodeo and unfortunately I am of the mind it wont be her last either.

If I were the decision maker at a company, and someone did something that went against the company like this, I would do the same as Mike. I'd call in the employee in question, and tell them to write a public apology, and further tell them that if they chose to represent the company in a public profile, they are on the clock, even if off work. Jessica could have kept arenanet out of her profile summary, and/or made her twitter profile private.

I don't support the decisision to fire Peter though, but maybe there is more to it. Anyway, I hope they find new jobs soon.

On the other side, after reading the [Polygon article](https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/9/17549492/arenanet-jessica-price-guild-wars-2-writer-fired "Polygon article") and especially the answer MO gave Polygon there, it at least raises the question of how to properly react to an (internally felt so) attack? Because women always were strengthened in the past years to be able to act and react properly on their own, they were encouraged to be more self-confident and not to just swallow everything but point to it, without the need to ask for the help of a man or the "patriarch" or an institution like a company (which would be like crying and calling one's big brother).

So, ANet's internal policy seems to be: if an employee gets attacked by someone or feels like getting attacked, she/he must not defend her-/himself offensively and publicly but run away and ask the protective managers for help - who then decide whether their feelings were "right" or not and whether a counterattack is the right step or not. Since the relationship between ArenaNet and the community according to MO in the article is "wonderful", it probably is the main target to keep it wonderful and any action that could possibly harm this wonderfulness would rather not be taken? Do I assume this correctly?

> @"Lanhelin.3480" said:

> On the other side, after reading the [Polygon article](https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/9/17549492/arenanet-jessica-price-guild-wars-2-writer-fired "Polygon article") and especially the answer MO gave Polygon there, it at least raises the question of how to properly react to an (internally felt so) attack? Because women always were strengthened in the past years to be able to act and react properly on their own, they were encouraged to be more self-confident and not to just swallow everything but point to it, without the need to ask for the help of a man or the "patriarch" or an institution like a company (which would be like crying and calling one's big brother).

>

> So, ANet's internal policy seems to be: if an employee gets attacked by someone or feels like getting attacked, she/he must not defend her-/himself offensively and publicly but run away and ask the protective managers for help - who then decide whether their feelings were "right" or not and whether a counterattack is the right step or not. Since the relationship between ArenaNet and the community according to MO in the article is "wonderful", it probably is the main target to keep it wonderful and any action that could possibly harm this wonderfulness would rather not be taken? Do I assume this correctly?

Well, not all developers are trained in PR. It does not help if somebody is actually trying to draw out the worst in you. People like you and I are probably seasoned veterans at taking crap online. This is not the case for everybody, and having somebody else who is not personal to the matter address and deal with it, does help you to not get emotionally attached to somebody who is playing you. But of course, in this instance, the person who was engaging JP, was not even trying to troll or cause hate. That doesn't help JP at all, given the response. This is why I keep work and personal separate. I can be myself in a manner that doesn't result in somebody trying to send a swat team to my house, or getting me fired, or trying to instigate drama between friends and family with targeted harassment. Yeah, somebody said welcome to today's date?